Colgate

January 2018 | CURRENT STUDENT

Fun school with good people. Professors are very smart and helpful.

Economics majors get very little practical knowledge. Town is very small.

Comments

If you can handle cold weather and are social this is a good school.

sMALL CLASSES (10 - 12)FACULTY VERY ACCESSIBLE A strong core program.

A strong fraternity school at that time. No crime All students very happy often dinned with faculty and town residents

Gi BILL

2005 or earlier

Academics are exceptional at Colgate, the university follows a core curriculum that is based on mastering the liberal arts in the educational experience. Incoming students receive an advisor, who also teaches one of their first semester classes. The advisor will stay with the student until they chose their major and are allowed to chose a new one. This makes the advising more personal, as students can connect with their advisor. The professor are very accessible as well, with all of them having office hours, and the absence of teachers assistants in any department on campus.

Colgate has an amazing quality of life in that everything is centralized in the quaint town of Hamilton, NY. The small town has little to no crime, and the residents are very friendly. The best part about the town is that everything is within walking distance form campus.

The admission process for Colgate is very selective as it entails test scores, essays, and high school academic accomplishment. We have a very low acceptance rate and a high early decision rate, due to our prestige and success. Colgate uses the common application and gives financial aid as well as scholarships after the application process is through.

Housing is guaranteed for all 4 years. Any and all facilities are in excellent condition. The library was built recently and is absolutely stunning, providing ample study space. Hamilton, NY is a very safe town, with the only "crimes" often being student violations. Overall, people are extremely happy!

I transferred to Colgate, so my perspective is rather different. Colgate takes the Common App and does include a supplemental question. Interviews are optional. Colgate will meet 100% of need-based aid, and the average scholarship package is around $40,000 per year. Many students choose to enroll early decision/action, but many do regular decision as well.

there are core classes to make sure you get a well-rounded liberal arts education, students are encouraged to spend a semester abroad - programs to England are probably the most popular, workload is heavy, professors are very friendly and have scheduled office hours for help

Almost all students live in some type of on-campus housing, the library is recently renovated with a coffee shop and lots of study space, the neighborhood is rural so it feels like life at Colgate centers on the school

essay questions, optional informational interview, early decision I and II available,uses the common application,awards financial aid to those with demonstrated need, some students selected for leadership program but no application for that

2005 or earlier

The core classes are VERY valuable. I learned a ton in them and found them to be really customizable and interesting - you can pick a professor based on the discipline in which you want to take the core course.

Professors at Colgate are incredible. Because the town is so small, they're really accessible. Going to your professors' houses for dinner is common and a great part of extended-campus life.

Colgate's campus is BEAUTIFUL. It is the epitome of a college campus and the "look" that I always dreamed of when thinking of college. Also, the students are happy. It's as simple as that - everyone wants to be there and embraces the Colgate experience.

There is an additional essay that supplements the Common App essay. It's usually more challenging, but appears to give admissions a sense of who the student is as a person and how they think.

2008

There are 2 years of CORE classes specializing in the liberal arts foundation and then two years of minor/major requirements. Class sizes were small 18-25; ample research opportunities exist. Professors are readily available and top notch.

Hamilton is very affordable and there is a wonderful town/gown relationship. The town is entirely self contained and there is literally no need to leave town/compus. There is little, if any, crime and everyone seems very content and happy.

Currently there is a common application process with unique essays; letters of recommendation. There is also ED1, ED2 and regular addmissions. The school prides itself on making a 4 year private education affordable and has robust work/study and financial aid opportunities. There are also limited merit scholarships available.

2005 or earlier

The academics are excellent. Colgate provides a core curriculum starting in the first year. Four courses, ancient world legacies, challenges of modernity, global wide scientific perspectives and communities and identities, are required as is a fifth in global engagements and another six from various areas of inquiry such as human thought, social relations and natural sciences. Students must complete 32 courses to graduate (minimum grade point average of 2.0). Despite the fact that Colgate offers 51 majors and 13 minors, class size is small (avg.19) and faculty are very accessible. It's commonplace to meet with professors on campus and off. The village is small and as a result of town size and school size, the student/faculty relationship extends beyond the campus. The school is competitive academically. There have been and continue to be several notable faculty. Colgate classes are taught by professors. No classes are taught by teaching assistants. 96% of Colgate's faculty have a PhD or other "ultimate" degree. Colgate offers 23 off campus study programs.

I thought it was tremendous. Would I return to Colgate if I could - in a heartbeat. I graduated in 1973 and certainly, things have changed. I think community relations (town/gown) are very good - better than when I attended. I think campus housing is much improved especially with the initiatives of self-governance and themed housing. Crime is low and campus safety is very good. Colgate has a new, state of the art science center. The library was expanded recently. School based facilities are excellent. While the school is expensive, the general upstate New York area is not . Present students/recent graduates seem genuinely happy and pleased with their choice of university.

I think the process itself is fairly standard. Colgate uses the common application. It encourages campus visits and offers an excellent website with several "live" webcams. It features various events such as "Saturdays@Colgate". One difference may be the absence of an evaluative interview. It has early decision. It provides financial aid, grants and fellowships and in certain sports, athletic scholarships. Colgate looks to and emphasizes the applicant's complete academic record including grades, standardized test scores and references. I think many of these are standard at most universiities.

2005 or earlier

Core Curriculum: 4 core classes Western Traditions, Challenge of Modernity etc.
Distribution Requirements: 2 of each--social science, science/math, humanities
Summer Research
Famous faculty--Aveni
Alot of work but Colgate has a work hard play hard mentality -- brilliant student body who can work hard but also has a well rounded lifestyle and has time for extracurriculars and social life.

Professors are very accessable. All classes taught by professors (No TAs). Class sizes are quite small allowing for an amazing and unified learning experience. As an English major, History minor class size averaged on around 12 students, I'd say.

AMAZING STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM! Over half the student body studies abroad, usually in their junior year. I went abroad to London with the English program the Spring of my Junior year. Best experience in my life.

Housing is great until senior year. Senior year you can live off campus which I believe hinders the Colgate experience. Caused breakups in friendsships because you have to sign leases your sophmore year for senior year off campus housing and friendships definitely change and evolve between sophmore and senior year. Most people live on campus though which is great.

Although I was a member of a sorority -- Kappa Kappa Gamma, I am against Greek Life. Greek life brings out cattiness and "social class" hierarchy among sororities and sexism among fraternities. Personally, my sorority, considered "the coolest on campus" and the hardest to get into had "dirty rushing" where a slide show was shown of girls they wanted before rush even started--slideshow listed what connecticut or new jersey prep school the girl went to, if they were on Sigma's "DNites" team before they went to Colgate" and sometimes even their parents profession. Had I known this, I never would have joined Greek life--I'm appauled at the "country club" mentality of it all.

There was very little crime as Colgate's campus is in the middle of nowhere. However, because of Greek Life, sexual assults were more common than one would think but sadly often went unreported to the police because when female students told Colgate, Colgate rarely addressed the issue.

Despite these complaints, I loved Colgate and personally had an overall great experience. Volunteer oportunities outiside Colgate--volunteer firefighting, helping people with their taxes, working on community farms and gardens unfied the campus with the surrounding community. Colgate is in the middle of no where and is pretty much the entire town of Hamilton.

Very safe neighborhood overall.

Library could use some work -- because we are in the middle of no where, we dont have access to many primary sources for reasearch papers. For my thesis, I had to travel to another city 3 weekends in a row in order to do proper research because Colgate did not have the tools.

Dining -- the food is okay. Colgate needs more dining halls. You wait in line FOREVER. Frank is definitely the best dining hall. Colgate made a dumb move of converting "The Edge" into a restaurant rather than a normal dining hall which left only the Frank and Coop as dining options, causing insanely long lines and never available seating. Colgate needs to work on more healthy options, especially in the Coop where the options are mostly fried food.

Common App plus additional essay. My essay was -- if you could only bring one thing to Colgate, what would it be and why? They do offer interviews although I did not do one. I applied early decision. I did not apply for any financial aid or scholarships.

small liberal arts college, small student facult ration, easy access to professors and advisors, studied abroad in France, tough but fair grading

olf fashioned frshman dorms, decent fraternity housing, excellent library for the time, very safe rural campus, small town setting, great facilities

traditional application (pre-common application) with essays