I am in the humanities so we have general requirements such as two sciences and math course and two arts courses of some sort. The core requirements are different for all majors but can we completed in two years so lots of students double major and minor. The grading is based upon work, class attendance, and how much you put into that class. There are many research opprotunities as well as work with professors. All professors have office hours each week and are willing to meet one on one multiple times a week if you are struggling. You have a general advisor as well as an advisor for every major and minor. 12:1 student teacher ratio average class size is about 30 to 45.

Living is a tad expensive, but i believe it is well worth it. The community is very close knit and supports the campus environment and uses our facilities. Some of the facilities are older, but there a lot of new buildings on campus. The library is very appeasing, but a little out-dated. There is not a lot of crime, but are alerted of it when it does happen. I have loved my college experience to date and would have not chosen a better school.

You can interview you do not have to, but you can come to campus to interview or you can have alumni interviews in your state. The school has limited financial aid, but offers based upon need. The application is part of common app, but the student must all write a one page essay talking about the specific program that they would like to join and why. The offer early decision one and two as well as a regular decision process. I applied E.D and found the acceptance was easier.

You can't come to Carnegie Mellon and be afraid of work. You've got a core curriculum that, depending on major, is fairly set. Then there's the extra classes you can take that are awesome. It's fairly collaborative, and not at all a cutthroat, competitive environment.

Food is pretty good and diverse, housing is excellent, safety is not usually a concern. Campus can be expensive (ie meal plan and housing), but it's easy enough to move off campus.

Common Application with supplement, nothing too out of the ordinary.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Very difficult but great preparation. Humanities while not ranked highly is amazing. Very rigiourous program, you need to know what your interested in before coming. High workload, strong grading. Very availible faculty though. Competitive but not cutthroat.

you apply to up to 5 schools, you can get a separate decision from each. There are a lot of essays but they are pretty straight forward.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Good mix of core classes and major requirements. Professors are awesome and very accessible. I have emailed a professor at 2 AM only to have them reply back 5 minutes later answering my questions. So they are pretty on top of their game.

Great dining, its different places all around campus. I live in my Fraternity House now and love it. Great city area, UPitt to the south, public parks on one side, and then two family-friendly neighborhoods on the other borders, so we are pretty enclosed. Campus is really nice because we have no thru streets, so its a walking campus.

Essays, Common Application, we have both Early Decision and Regular Decision

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I interviewed with an admissions officer in the summer before my junior year of high school. I filled out the Common Application form for my school, as well as the Common Application supplement. There were three essays in total between these. Finally, I sent in my application early in November through Regular Decision and received my decision in April. I was applied and was accepted into the Information Systems program, the School of Computer Science, and the School of Humanities and Social Sciences.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There are two required classes that all students in the school take, and then there are other classes that are required based on your academic department. There is a lot of opportunities to take many different types of classes if you have a broad interest in studying. Class size is about 25 students; however, in your introduction classes you can expect about 120-150 people. As a result, larger classes have recitations, which are basically reiterations of lecture taught by a teaching assistant. Our professors are so easy to approach and give out their email/cell phone numbers so that we can reach them whenever necessary. All professors are required to have office hours as well. While we are a prestigious university, students are not cutthroat when it comes to academics. They are very open to assisting students so that everyone is successful. The workload is somewhat demanding, but with good time management you can have a good balance of social life and school. We have a fabulous study abroad program that many students take advantage of. Research is very important at our school. You can very easily get involved with professors research, or apply for money to take on your own project.

Carnegie Mellon uses the Common Application as well as a supplemental piece that is unique to Carnegie Mellon. I applied under regular decision. I wrote 2-3 essays, received 2 letters of recommendation, and had took part in an interview with an admission's officer. The interview is not required though. About a month after I submitted my application, I received an account where I could keep track of my information on Carnegie Mellon's website. It was very convenient and helpful throughout the process.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There are 2 classes that all students have to take. One is called Computing at Carnegie Mellon. It is a half-semester, pass/fail course that you take in your first semester. It's taught by an upper-level undergraduate student, and it's really easy. It's just intended to get all the new students acquainted with Carnegie Mellon's computer network and make sure that everyone has basic computer skills. The other required class is Interpretation and Argument. It's like an English 101 class, but there are lots of different topics to choose from. The topics range from The Rhetoric of War and Free Speech and the College Campus to The Ethics of Harry Potter and Environmental Rhetoric in Science Fiction. If you choose a topic you like and you get a good class of people who like to participate in discussion the class is pretty fun. Beyond that, the requirements differ depending on your college and your major.

Though it's a very academically rigorous school, it's really not competitive. I've heard horror stories from other schools about people trying to sabotage other people. That definitely doesn't happen here. You generally see a lot of collaboration and group projects. All of my professors have been extremely accessible. They are required to hold office hours which means that there's always a time each week when you know you can go and talk to them or ask them questions. Most professors love for you to come to office hours, and they really make an effort to get to know their students even in the larger classes.

Carnegie Mellon accepts the common application. They have a supplement to the common application that doesn't involve too much, but there is an additional essay about your academic interests. They have binding early decision with 2 deadlines and then regular decision. You can participate in an interview with an admission counselor or an alumnus, but it is not required. I did not do an interview, and I still got in, so I'm not sure how big of a difference it makes. Carnegie Mellon no longer offers merit-based scholarships because it has reallocated that money to financial aid. However, there is the Carnegie Scholarship which is for students of high academic or artistic merit who filled out the FAFSA but qualified for little to no need-based aid.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

there is no curve!, excellent study abroad program, small class size...less than 20, amazing interdisciplinary program, ability to cross-enroll into any colleges on campus, flexible faculty

Common App

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

interviews, early decision 1 and 2 options. commonap. financial aid is readily available. simple supplemental essay