Carnegie Mellon University

4.4 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (19 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

Bachelor of Fine Arts in opera performance- conservatory program. (essentially all music and performing classes) Also required to take 3 languages: french, german and italian. All classes are extremely small. Average class size at CMU is 15-25 students. Student to faculty ratio: 12:1. Big study abroad opportunities.

Pittsburgh is the 3rd safest city for its size in the country. Live off-campus alone, no problem walking home late at night after rehearsal. Pittsburgh is fairly livable - not too expensive. On-campus living is extremely close to campus (2-3 min walk to the heart of campus max). Great library and resources. 22 24 hour computer clusters scattered across campus. supports all systems (mac/pc/linux/etc.) Access to all Carnegie libraries in country as well as most universities in the city of Pittsburgh. Students are extremely diverse, intelligent, driven and positive. So easy to get help and support from faculty, professors and friends. Students are extremely well-rounded and generally interested in different, dynamic things.

Comments

Regular decision Common application and standard supplemental materials, had to submit a prescreening CD by December 1st to music faculty - once I passed this round, I was asked to come audition at the school in February. Applied for financial aid in February as well - CMU is a completely need-based institution, no merit scholarships.

Date: 2011

This very much depends on your college. In my college (Humanities and Social Sciences) there are a lot of general education requirements (math/science, social science, humanities, language, and the arts). For your major you generally have several core requirements and several electives. You get an academic advisor when you enroll and he or she helps you register for classes and decide on what your major will be. Once you declare your major, you get a major advisor who helps you map out the rest of your courses. If you have any additional majors or minors you are assigned advisors for those as well. Carnegie Mellon is definitely an academically rigorous school, but it's not competitive at all. It's actually a very collaborative environment, and students tend to work together on assignments.

Comments

Common application and supplement with essay about why you want to attend Carnegie Mellon; binding early decision and regular decision; optional interview with admission counselor or alumni; financial aid but no merit scholarships

Date: 2010

Comments

interviews, early decision 1 and 2 options. commonap. financial aid is readily available. simple supplemental essay

Date: 2010

Very difficult but great preparation. Humanities while not ranked highly is amazing. Very rigiourous program, you need to know what your interested in before coming. High workload, strong grading. Very availible faculty though. Competitive but not cutthroat.

Comments

you apply to up to 5 schools, you can get a separate decision from each. There are a lot of essays but they are pretty straight forward.

Date: 2010

There are two required classes that all students in the school take, and then there are other classes that are required based on your academic department. There is a lot of opportunities to take many different types of classes if you have a broad interest in studying. Class size is about 25 students; however, in your introduction classes you can expect about 120-150 people. As a result, larger classes have recitations, which are basically reiterations of lecture taught by a teaching assistant. Our professors are so easy to approach and give out their email/cell phone numbers so that we can reach them whenever necessary. All professors are required to have office hours as well. While we are a prestigious university, students are not cutthroat when it comes to academics. They are very open to assisting students so that everyone is successful. The workload is somewhat demanding, but with good time management you can have a good balance of social life and school. We have a fabulous study abroad program that many students take advantage of. Research is very important at our school. You can very easily get involved with professors research, or apply for money to take on your own project.

Comments

Carnegie Mellon uses the Common Application as well as a supplemental piece that is unique to Carnegie Mellon. I applied under regular decision. I wrote 2-3 essays, received 2 letters of recommendation, and had took part in an interview with an admission's officer. The interview is not required though. About a month after I submitted my application, I received an account where I could keep track of my information on Carnegie Mellon's website. It was very convenient and helpful throughout the process.

Date: 2010

Comments

I interviewed with an admissions officer in the summer before my junior year of high school. I filled out the Common Application form for my school, as well as the Common Application supplement. There were three essays in total between these. Finally, I sent in my application early in November through Regular Decision and received my decision in April. I was applied and was accepted into the Information Systems program, the School of Computer Science, and the School of Humanities and Social Sciences.

Date: 2010

Good mix of core classes and major requirements. Professors are awesome and very accessible. I have emailed a professor at 2 AM only to have them reply back 5 minutes later answering my questions. So they are pretty on top of their game.

Great dining, its different places all around campus. I live in my Fraternity House now and love it. Great city area, UPitt to the south, public parks on one side, and then two family-friendly neighborhoods on the other borders, so we are pretty enclosed. Campus is really nice because we have no thru streets, so its a walking campus.

Comments

Essays, Common Application, we have both Early Decision and Regular Decision

Date: 2010

There are 2 classes that all students have to take. One is called Computing at Carnegie Mellon. It is a half-semester, pass/fail course that you take in your first semester. It's taught by an upper-level undergraduate student, and it's really easy. It's just intended to get all the new students acquainted with Carnegie Mellon's computer network and make sure that everyone has basic computer skills. The other required class is Interpretation and Argument. It's like an English 101 class, but there are lots of different topics to choose from. The topics range from The Rhetoric of War and Free Speech and the College Campus to The Ethics of Harry Potter and Environmental Rhetoric in Science Fiction. If you choose a topic you like and you get a good class of people who like to participate in discussion the class is pretty fun. Beyond that, the requirements differ depending on your college and your major. Though it's a very academically rigorous school, it's really not competitive. I've heard horror stories from other schools about people trying to sabotage other people. That definitely doesn't happen here. You generally see a lot of collaboration and group projects. All of my professors have been extremely accessible. They are required to hold office hours which means that there's always a time each week when you know you can go and talk to them or ask them questions. Most professors love for you to come to office hours, and they really make an effort to get to know their students even in the larger classes.

Comments

Carnegie Mellon accepts the common application. They have a supplement to the common application that doesn't involve too much, but there is an additional essay about your academic interests. They have binding early decision with 2 deadlines and then regular decision. You can participate in an interview with an admission counselor or an alumnus, but it is not required. I did not do an interview, and I still got in, so I'm not sure how big of a difference it makes. Carnegie Mellon no longer offers merit-based scholarships because it has reallocated that money to financial aid. However, there is the Carnegie Scholarship which is for students of high academic or artistic merit who filled out the FAFSA but qualified for little to no need-based aid.

Date: 2010

there is no curve!, excellent study abroad program, small class size...less than 20, amazing interdisciplinary program, ability to cross-enroll into any colleges on campus, flexible faculty

Comments

Common App