Carnegie Mellon University

4.4 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 19 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

Bachelor of Fine Arts in opera performance- conservatory program. (essentially all music and performing classes)

Also required to take 3 languages: french, german and italian. All classes are extremely small. Average class size at CMU is 15-25 students. Student to faculty ratio: 12:1.

Big study abroad opportunities.

Pittsburgh is the 3rd safest city for its size in the country. Live off-campus alone, no problem walking home late at night after rehearsal.

Pittsburgh is fairly livable - not too expensive. On-campus living is extremely close to campus (2-3 min walk to the heart of campus max).

Great library and resources. 22 24 hour computer clusters scattered across campus. supports all systems (mac/pc/linux/etc.) Access to all Carnegie libraries in country as well as most universities in the city of Pittsburgh.

Students are extremely diverse, intelligent, driven and positive. So easy to get help and support from faculty, professors and friends. Students are extremely well-rounded and generally interested in different, dynamic things.

Regular decision Common application and standard supplemental materials, had to submit a prescreening CD by December 1st to music faculty - once I passed this round, I was asked to come audition at the school in February.

Applied for financial aid in February as well - CMU is a completely need-based institution, no merit scholarships.

Studio based curriculum

absolutely great

Portfolio based

CMU puts alot of pressure on students with the rigor and amount of coursework loaded on but as you progress it gets better. The class sizes are approx 15-20 people on average and the professors are pretty nice about meeting if you need help. There are plenty of opportunities for research and design but they are all very competitive.

Everything is pretty good.

Multiple applications and essays. no common app form. Scholarships are available.

FABULOUS

Portfolio, essay driven

very rigorous

early decision, very long application

Class Size: 15 to 25
Student to Faculty Ratio: 12 to 1

Uses Common App and a supplemental one. You can apply to 5 of the 6 colleges individually.

Academics are very challenging and require a large time commitment. There is a large emphasis on the general education program, yet there are lots of opportunities to explore majors. Academic advising is excellent and very easily available. Class size is small compared to other large universities.

All facilities are relatively new and maintained really well. The neighborhood is very calm, yet also has the perks of any large city. Most people are happy when they're not completely swamped by work.

The admissions process was made very easy and simple. I had no problems when applying to CMU.

This very much depends on your college. In my college (Humanities and Social Sciences) there are a lot of general education requirements (math/science, social science, humanities, language, and the arts). For your major you generally have several core requirements and several electives. You get an academic advisor when you enroll and he or she helps you register for classes and decide on what your major will be. Once you declare your major, you get a major advisor who helps you map out the rest of your courses. If you have any additional majors or minors you are assigned advisors for those as well. Carnegie Mellon is definitely an academically rigorous school, but it's not competitive at all. It's actually a very collaborative environment, and students tend to work together on assignments.

Common application and supplement with essay about why you want to attend Carnegie Mellon; binding early decision and regular decision; optional interview with admission counselor or alumni; financial aid but no merit scholarships

pretty good ability to take subjects in a wide range of areas, in the first couple of years the classes are pretty big but they shrink towards the end of the second year. The professors are very accessible as well as the TA's. There is a lot of work and it is hard. Advising is really a mixed bag, certain departments have great advisors, others are subpar. There are a lot of opportunities for research through professors or even your own individual research. Grading is usually fair, but definitely varies across colleges.

In general Pittsburgh and especially the area where CMU is situated is a pretty nice place, prices aren't too high and most areas are pretty accessible. Crime is a bit of a concern, but I think compared to a lot of places we have it pretty good, its a matter of just making good and safe decisions. Food on campus is ok, but Culinart definitely seemed to regress a bit after their first year.

Common App with a supplement including an individualized essay. No required interview, early decision and regular decision, don't give out a ton of financial aid/scholarships.

I am in the humanities so we have general requirements such as two sciences and math course and two arts courses of some sort. The core requirements are different for all majors but can we completed in two years so lots of students double major and minor. The grading is based upon work, class attendance, and how much you put into that class. There are many research opprotunities as well as work with professors. All professors have office hours each week and are willing to meet one on one multiple times a week if you are struggling. You have a general advisor as well as an advisor for every major and minor. 12:1 student teacher ratio average class size is about 30 to 45.

Living is a tad expensive, but i believe it is well worth it. The community is very close knit and supports the campus environment and uses our facilities. Some of the facilities are older, but there a lot of new buildings on campus. The library is very appeasing, but a little out-dated. There is not a lot of crime, but are alerted of it when it does happen. I have loved my college experience to date and would have not chosen a better school.

You can interview you do not have to, but you can come to campus to interview or you can have alumni interviews in your state. The school has limited financial aid, but offers based upon need. The application is part of common app, but the student must all write a one page essay talking about the specific program that they would like to join and why. The offer early decision one and two as well as a regular decision process. I applied E.D and found the acceptance was easier.