Carnegie Mellon University

4.4 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (19 Student Reviews)

Studio based curriculum

absolutely great

Comments

Portfolio based

FABULOUS

Comments

Portfolio, essay driven

Date: 2011

Academics are very challenging and require a large time commitment. There is a large emphasis on the general education program, yet there are lots of opportunities to explore majors. Academic advising is excellent and very easily available. Class size is small compared to other large universities.

All facilities are relatively new and maintained really well. The neighborhood is very calm, yet also has the perks of any large city. Most people are happy when they're not completely swamped by work.

Comments

The admissions process was made very easy and simple. I had no problems when applying to CMU.

Date: 2011

I am in the humanities so we have general requirements such as two sciences and math course and two arts courses of some sort. The core requirements are different for all majors but can we completed in two years so lots of students double major and minor. The grading is based upon work, class attendance, and how much you put into that class. There are many research opprotunities as well as work with professors. All professors have office hours each week and are willing to meet one on one multiple times a week if you are struggling. You have a general advisor as well as an advisor for every major and minor. 12:1 student teacher ratio average class size is about 30 to 45.

Living is a tad expensive, but i believe it is well worth it. The community is very close knit and supports the campus environment and uses our facilities. Some of the facilities are older, but there a lot of new buildings on campus. The library is very appeasing, but a little out-dated. There is not a lot of crime, but are alerted of it when it does happen. I have loved my college experience to date and would have not chosen a better school.

Comments

You can interview you do not have to, but you can come to campus to interview or you can have alumni interviews in your state. The school has limited financial aid, but offers based upon need. The application is part of common app, but the student must all write a one page essay talking about the specific program that they would like to join and why. The offer early decision one and two as well as a regular decision process. I applied E.D and found the acceptance was easier.

very rigorous

Comments

early decision, very long application

Class Size: 15 to 25 Student to Faculty Ratio: 12 to 1

Comments

Uses Common App and a supplemental one. You can apply to 5 of the 6 colleges individually.

Date: 2011

You can't come to Carnegie Mellon and be afraid of work. You've got a core curriculum that, depending on major, is fairly set. Then there's the extra classes you can take that are awesome. It's fairly collaborative, and not at all a cutthroat, competitive environment.

Food is pretty good and diverse, housing is excellent, safety is not usually a concern. Campus can be expensive (ie meal plan and housing), but it's easy enough to move off campus.

Comments

Common Application with supplement, nothing too out of the ordinary.

Date: 2011

CMU puts alot of pressure on students with the rigor and amount of coursework loaded on but as you progress it gets better. The class sizes are approx 15-20 people on average and the professors are pretty nice about meeting if you need help. There are plenty of opportunities for research and design but they are all very competitive.

Everything is pretty good.

Comments

Multiple applications and essays. no common app form. Scholarships are available.

Date: 2011

pretty good ability to take subjects in a wide range of areas, in the first couple of years the classes are pretty big but they shrink towards the end of the second year. The professors are very accessible as well as the TA's. There is a lot of work and it is hard. Advising is really a mixed bag, certain departments have great advisors, others are subpar. There are a lot of opportunities for research through professors or even your own individual research. Grading is usually fair, but definitely varies across colleges.

In general Pittsburgh and especially the area where CMU is situated is a pretty nice place, prices aren't too high and most areas are pretty accessible. Crime is a bit of a concern, but I think compared to a lot of places we have it pretty good, its a matter of just making good and safe decisions. Food on campus is ok, but Culinart definitely seemed to regress a bit after their first year.

Comments

Common App with a supplement including an individualized essay. No required interview, early decision and regular decision, don't give out a ton of financial aid/scholarships.

Date: 2011

Requirements depend on the major and the program. There is a lot of advising help available. Professors are accessible and available to students. Classes are 25-35 students usually, students are not competitive for grades but rather generally collaborative, we have some AWESOME faculty, and there are lots of study abroad and work study opportunities. The workload is manageable, as long as students don't mess around.

Housing is available for 4 years, cost of living in PGH is cheap, but on campus it is expensive, there are a lot of facilities near campus and a lot of opportunities for students to live near for cheap. 3 libraries, students mostly use 1 since the others are closed/farther away. Food is good but overpriced for PGH and what it is. Good neighborhoods for the most part. Community relations could be better. Crime and safety is okay. we have our own police but the Pitt police/PGH police aren't so good at catching crime off the CMU campus. People are happy except for when the school gets involved and makes things difficult - ie Greek life.

Comments

Supplement to the Common App, essays, they have early decision