Carnegie Mellon University

4.4 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 19 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

Bachelor of Fine Arts in opera performance- conservatory program. (essentially all music and performing classes)

Also required to take 3 languages: french, german and italian. All classes are extremely small. Average class size at CMU is 15-25 students. Student to faculty ratio: 12:1.

Big study abroad opportunities.

Pittsburgh is the 3rd safest city for its size in the country. Live off-campus alone, no problem walking home late at night after rehearsal.

Pittsburgh is fairly livable - not too expensive. On-campus living is extremely close to campus (2-3 min walk to the heart of campus max).

Great library and resources. 22 24 hour computer clusters scattered across campus. supports all systems (mac/pc/linux/etc.) Access to all Carnegie libraries in country as well as most universities in the city of Pittsburgh.

Students are extremely diverse, intelligent, driven and positive. So easy to get help and support from faculty, professors and friends. Students are extremely well-rounded and generally interested in different, dynamic things.

Regular decision Common application and standard supplemental materials, had to submit a prescreening CD by December 1st to music faculty - once I passed this round, I was asked to come audition at the school in February.

Applied for financial aid in February as well - CMU is a completely need-based institution, no merit scholarships.

Studio based curriculum

absolutely great

Portfolio based

CMU puts alot of pressure on students with the rigor and amount of coursework loaded on but as you progress it gets better. The class sizes are approx 15-20 people on average and the professors are pretty nice about meeting if you need help. There are plenty of opportunities for research and design but they are all very competitive.

Everything is pretty good.

Multiple applications and essays. no common app form. Scholarships are available.

FABULOUS

Portfolio, essay driven

very rigorous

early decision, very long application

Class Size: 15 to 25
Student to Faculty Ratio: 12 to 1

Uses Common App and a supplemental one. You can apply to 5 of the 6 colleges individually.

Academics are very challenging and require a large time commitment. There is a large emphasis on the general education program, yet there are lots of opportunities to explore majors. Academic advising is excellent and very easily available. Class size is small compared to other large universities.

All facilities are relatively new and maintained really well. The neighborhood is very calm, yet also has the perks of any large city. Most people are happy when they're not completely swamped by work.

The admissions process was made very easy and simple. I had no problems when applying to CMU.

This very much depends on your college. In my college (Humanities and Social Sciences) there are a lot of general education requirements (math/science, social science, humanities, language, and the arts). For your major you generally have several core requirements and several electives. You get an academic advisor when you enroll and he or she helps you register for classes and decide on what your major will be. Once you declare your major, you get a major advisor who helps you map out the rest of your courses. If you have any additional majors or minors you are assigned advisors for those as well. Carnegie Mellon is definitely an academically rigorous school, but it's not competitive at all. It's actually a very collaborative environment, and students tend to work together on assignments.

Common application and supplement with essay about why you want to attend Carnegie Mellon; binding early decision and regular decision; optional interview with admission counselor or alumni; financial aid but no merit scholarships

pretty good ability to take subjects in a wide range of areas, in the first couple of years the classes are pretty big but they shrink towards the end of the second year. The professors are very accessible as well as the TA's. There is a lot of work and it is hard. Advising is really a mixed bag, certain departments have great advisors, others are subpar. There are a lot of opportunities for research through professors or even your own individual research. Grading is usually fair, but definitely varies across colleges.

In general Pittsburgh and especially the area where CMU is situated is a pretty nice place, prices aren't too high and most areas are pretty accessible. Crime is a bit of a concern, but I think compared to a lot of places we have it pretty good, its a matter of just making good and safe decisions. Food on campus is ok, but Culinart definitely seemed to regress a bit after their first year.

Common App with a supplement including an individualized essay. No required interview, early decision and regular decision, don't give out a ton of financial aid/scholarships.

Requirements depend on the major and the program. There is a lot of advising help available. Professors are accessible and available to students. Classes are 25-35 students usually, students are not competitive for grades but rather generally collaborative, we have some AWESOME faculty, and there are lots of study abroad and work study opportunities. The workload is manageable, as long as students don't mess around.

Housing is available for 4 years, cost of living in PGH is cheap, but on campus it is expensive, there are a lot of facilities near campus and a lot of opportunities for students to live near for cheap. 3 libraries, students mostly use 1 since the others are closed/farther away. Food is good but overpriced for PGH and what it is. Good neighborhoods for the most part. Community relations could be better. Crime and safety is okay. we have our own police but the Pitt police/PGH police aren't so good at catching crime off the CMU campus. People are happy except for when the school gets involved and makes things difficult - ie Greek life.

Supplement to the Common App, essays, they have early decision

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)