B eng program

September 2018 | CURRENT STUDENT

This school and specifically the engineering school is pretty strong in Canada. Be mindful of keeping up to date with the latest trends in your prospected industry.

The program could be updated to leverage the latest technology used in the profession.

Comments

The program provides the necessary baseline skills for a career in engineering.

Quality Education

March 2016 | FORMER STUDENT

Great faculty that are always available for questions or advise. Classes are rigorous and challenging even for highly intelligent individuals. Nice Campus and great Arb and rec center. The student body is very unique and may or may not be what you are looking for.

Everybody studies a lot, which makes the social scene during the week incredibly slow

Comments

I had no issues getting a job upon graduation as a math major with a solid GPA. It seemed like companies respected the reputation of Carleton.

Awesome school for someone who loves liberal arts!

November 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

The Dean, the Political Science department, the people, the Arb

It was a little bit too cold sometimes. Also, it would be more diverse.

Comments

Come visit! It is a great academically rigorous school. They are always moving forward and I'm proud to be an alum.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I have studied abroad, as have most students. We are required to take courses in 4 distribution areas, in addition to 4 terms of a language and 1 course on a culture other than our own. Students work hard, but we don't really compete with each other or talk about grades much. Classes are generally small - over 20 is large, over 30 is weird and enormous - and faculty are very available.

The community is very friendly. People are generally nice, campus facilities are great, the library is huge. The food is nothing special, but what do you expect? It feels safe, and there is a good sense of community. People seem happy here.

I applied Early Decision (round one) using the Common App. Carleton has a supplement to the Common App. I interviewed, but this is not required. The college gave me a lot of financial aid - about half the sticker price - and my understanding is that this decision is taken independently of the decision to admit.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Carleton College offers a Liberal Arts education, developing you into a diversified tool that employers are attracted to. Small class sizes, approachable professors, and intelligent classmates all contribute to an exceptional experience. The college also offers a study abroad program for almost ever single major at the school!

95% of enrolled students live on-campus, creating a very close-nit community among students.

Carleton uses the common app, making the logistics of the application process quite easy. Once a student gets accepted he/she will be sent a financial aid package. Thankfully, because the school is quite expensive, Carleton College offers financial aid to any student that can demonstrate the need.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Academics are also very rigorous and professors expect a lot from their students. General requirements are pretty easy to fulfill and major requirements differ significantly from major to major. I have found academic advising to be very good and professors are very accessible. Despite the rigor, I don't think there is very much competition between students.

Very good housing, even in the freshman dorms. Most students live on campus, even as upperclassmen. Carleton is a very safe place.

The admissions process is very rigorous. Carleton is on the Common App.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Classes are generally small. The largest course on campus is Intro to Biology, with 80-ish students, but most of my classes had 12-25 students. There is a spirit of collaborative learning on campus, and professors and students respect each other as partners in intellectual exploration. Because there are no grad students around, undergrads have lots of opportunities to work on research with professors, and many seniors have the chance to pursue their own studies. I got to travel with my advisor/favorite professor to the national conference of the Society of Personality and Social Psychology to present research we had done. Every student has a professor as an academic advisor; if your advisor in your first two years is not in your major, you switch to someone in your major department for junior and senior years. Students rarely double major because of the comprehensive integrative exercise ("comps") that must be completed for each major - it takes a lot of work! The love of learning on campus is palpable; when I wanted to find my friends the library was always the first place to look, where my friends would often congregate to share study space and inevitably interrupt each other to share interesting things we were reading about for class.

Students are required to live on campus for all four years unless they get special permission to live off-campus. There are a variety of housing types on campus, from traditional dorm floors to private apartments to theme houses. I really enjoyed the communities that resulted from on-campus life. I think housing and food costs are relatively reasonable. The town of Northfield is a nice resource and a nice place to go out for a charming dinner or to escape to study off campus; it is easily walk-able. There's not a bustling night life or anything, and I appreciated that students create their own fun on campus. We're an intellectual bunch, and library life is always lively. The administration is very receptive to students in decision-making. Overall, Carleton students are happy people, and much less cynical than the students I encountered at many peer colleges. We don't take ourselves too seriously.

2004 or earlier

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Being a liberal arts college, there are significant distribution requirements (that have recently changed significantly). However, these requirements are very easy and almost always enjoyable to fill. There are classes, like the famous "Physics for Poets", that are catered to the non-science minded out there. Although Carleton is not a research school, there are increasing opportunities to conduct research with profs. I was able to assist my favorite professor on two separate research projects. The vast majority of students study abroad, although almost all of us debate whether to do so because we're so reluctant to miss out on a term at Carleton, which just speaks to how strongly most students feel about the school. Classes are very difficult and challenging, but professors are always encouraging and supportive, and there is no competitiveness at all among students.

Everyone at Carleton wants to be there and is extraordinarily happy, which makes for a fantastic quality of life and overall environment. We might be in the middle of cornfields, but it wouldn't matter if we were in the middle of a metropolitan center, because everyone wants to stay on campus. Food left something to be desired, but a change in the food services in the past two years has changed that. The libe (library) is the hot spot on campus, and everyone goes there to socialize as well as study. That doesn't mean that there isn't a study/life balance, though, as the "loser bell" rings at 1am every night to get students out and about, unless it's finals week when it's open til 3am to the surprising joy of everyone. Overall, I've never felt safer, more connected, or happier anywhere, and the sense of community is something that can't be described.

Carleton offers a number of application questions/essay prompts to chose from that supplement their standard form. I felt that the essay topics were open enough to allow for students to project a sense of self into their application and that Carleton put a good amount of emphasis on personal statements, rather than judging only by test scores and class rank. Interviews help a lot on both sides of the process, both for students to get a sense of the school, and for the admissions officers to get a sense of whether the students will be a good fit for the school. The fit at Carleton is viewed as an important factor in the application/admission process. Early decision is offered, and is very helpful for students who know they want to come here.

2008

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Good distribution requirements, non-competitive classroom atmosphere, great relationships with professors, small classes, accessible faculty and staff, easy study abroad options, smart kids who care about more than showing how smart they are in the class. The classroom experience was fine but my academic growth continued out of class with the interactions I had with others; the intellectual community at Carleton is constantly abuzz in a welcoming, laid back way.

Amazing. I cannot imagine a more welcoming, stimulating, and friendly community environment than Carleton. From the security guards to the librarians to the workers at the grocery store, that was my family.

Common Application with no supplement, application fee was waived if you applied online. Interviews optional, overnight visits available, scholarship opportunities are need-based aid.

2008