2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Must have certain GPA along with interview to get into major. Class size is large (80-100) for core classes, major classes small (25-30). Professors become mentors, very accessible. Lots of research opportunities available, Italy study abroad program is wonderful. Grade tough-but that's how college is.

Loved living on campus. Housing is remarkable, food wonderful, cost of living reasonable, library new and redone, low crime & feel safe.

Application included essays, no early decision/early action.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I love it here! The town is small enough that you I feel at home, yet large enough that you have things to do. The types of houseing vary a lot; from dorms, to appartments, to town homes and mobile homes, it's all here. I feel very safe in Auburn and never really give a second thought to being in unsafe conditions. Now that I am here, I would never choose otherwise if given the chance.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Auburn has a large amount to study abroad in countries like Spain, Italy and France, I know several people who went to these countries and loved it. Class sizes range from huge (up to 300 people) to small (up to 30 people.) It depends what class you take, such as beginning science, everyone needs it so they have a larger class size. They have Core Requirements so they can produce a well rounded student into the world, classes you must take include math, science, composition, literature and social science. After you complete these, you move on to your majors supporting coursework and/or prerequisite classes. Then they have outlined in a bulletin they give you during orientation your major requirements to graduate in that major. They also have readily availiable Academic Advisors on hand to help students with their plan of study.

When I came here, freshman could live off campus, but now they have built brand new dorms that are similar to apartments which I would have considered if I didnt already live off campus. Auburn has a very low crime rate and a small town field. I know all my neighbors in my apartment complex and have never had anything happen to me, my roommates or my apartment. They offer a large amount of dining services on campus which is good because they require new students to participate in a dining plan. Auburn University and the city of Auburn work very close together to ensure safety and a great time for all their residents, not just students. Not only is there a small town atmosphere but you have the convience of a city, there is a mall, walmart and target right down the road, as well as gas stations and great food places located everywhere. Because of this small town atmosphere with city convience I chose to go to Auburn.

I applied before Labor Day in 2006, which I believe helped me to be accepted. They do give preference to those with alumni. It is great to write a short paragraph about activities not involved in academics such as a job or sports. They ask questions such as why will you benefit Auburn, which you will have to write a short answer too. Overall the application process was very easy.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

My ranking is based on my experience within my major. Auburn's core curriculum offers opportunities to study a variety of fields without being overwhelming or distracting from a student's major. Class sizes are good on the whole, more good be done to lessen the size of upper-level science courses. Professor accessibility and research opportunities from undergraduate students are superb; the focus placed on undergraduates at Auburn is outstanding. Grading is fair, professors will reward students for hard work but are unafraid to hand out low-marks; all A's (and B's) must be earned. The workload could seem heavy at times, but considering that my major is geared for future doctors and pharmacists, it is more than understandable that we should feel overwhelmed at times.

Auburn has an outstanding quality of life. The city is extremely safe, Auburn residents love meeting students, and everyone overall just loves being an Auburn student. Compared to larger markets (Atlanta, DC, etc.) housing is unbelievably inexpensive and well-kept. The cost of living is low as well with lower food prices and public transportation provided through the university. The library is open 24 hours during the school week and has quite a bit of space, providing an excellent study resource for students. Overall, few if any Auburn student would go anywhere else.

Auburn does not use the Common Application, but the application is simple and straight-forward, asking mostly only demographic information. Recently, students were asked to attach a list of extracurricular activities as well. Some scholarships are merit-based and some are merit and need-based; Auburn offers a large amount of need-based aid as well. The ability to "stack" scholarship offers from outside sources, university-wide and department-specific funds allows students to build a package up to the cost of attendance. Scholarship opportunities have increased dramatically since the recent capital campaign, specifically Freshman Scholarships. Auburn has Early Action but no Early Decision; Early Action is non-binding and is based solely on GPA and ACT/SAT test scores. Regular decision takes into consideration the extracurricular activities attachment as well as any other considerations brought to the attention of the admissions committees.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Academic advising in the college of engineering is great. grading is reasonable along with most of the professors grading policies. there are all kinds of opportunities here for research and professors are generally easy to talk to and care about their students

housing is very reasonable and new complexes are being built all the time, campus is beautiful, the facilities are nice and getting nicer with all the construction, library is one of the best in the sec crime is low, overall happiness is great

all students are automatically entered to be awarded university scholarships

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Most of the teachers are great! They care if you learn the material and encourage you to visit them during office hours.

Everyone is super nice. Its a college town that depends on the students so there are lots of things geared toward college students. Campus is very safe and it is well lit at night. We have security shuttles and escorts if they are needed.

I was a transfer student so I did not have to write an essay or answer many questions.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors I have encountered are very good and approachable. There are more core classes then I would like but that will change soon.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Within the Honors College class sizes are reasonably small, of course regular core classes have much bigger class sizes. There a many study abroad opportunities and it is highly encouraged by all colleges to spend a semester abroad. The core class requirements are broad as to make students well-rounded.

Typical application process, short essay questions, many scholarship opportunities within different colleges as well as the Honors College which sends you an invitation to apply if you are eligible.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

They have gen. ed. courses that are required. But not too many. Majority of general classes have many meeting times. As you specialize however times get rather limited. Work load can be tough depending on how you schedule. In COSAM advising is always available. All professors so far want you to come see them and are willing to meet around your time if you cannot meet during office hours.

There are 3 different areas to live at. Of them I have lived in two. Both are decent, no health issues, nothing rotting etc... Dining is nearby all housing areas and some have late hours. I do not fear walking on campus. We have emergency boxes we can press if we are in danger. Library is spacious and a wonderful resource. Overall Im extremely happy with life here and wouldn't choose another college.

Essays are fairly easy.
Make sure to fill out FAFSA by March 1st. AU has lots of scholarship opportunities.

Wonderful!