EA Internship/Co-op Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #46 Best Overall Internships

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 54 Intern Reviews)

Fantastic Animation Internship
Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The biggest reason my internship was so successful, was because of my mentor. He had several years of experience, and was a great teacher. He taught me a lot in such a short span of time. The HR was nice too. She was friendly and fun. The other interns and the senior animators were super friendly too.

Most others complained about how the computer, softwares, consoles, etc. were not fully set up by the time the internship began. That didn't really bother me much, though.

The junior animators weren't too welcoming. They preferred to keep to themselves. It's okay. They were contractors, so they were always busy worrying about their future prospects.

I think that the internship at EA was very rewarding. I was able to live my dream of animating, as a part of a big production team. I learnt much more than I had expected. As long as your mentor is good, you will have a great time.

My interview was great. I had a long telephonic conversation with the art director, whose work I had always admired before.

Advice to Management

Please value the talent of the people working for you. Most of the incredibly gifted artists that I met there, were being very restricted in what they could do. They were capable of so much, but didn't seem to have the freedom to fully spread their wings. Please talk to the artists directly. I hardly saw the senior-most managers interact with artists. It's probably one of the drawbacks of being a big company (with a huge hierarchy), but it can be worked around. Just my observation.

I had a great internship. It was fascinating! No complaints.

Student Receives Life Altering Internship.
Austin, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to create extensive portfolio pieces, some of which actually appeared in game. Networking was a huge plus, and being able to break into the industry at such a young age was a blessing. The pay was great and the work place was very friendly and welcoming.

For internships that lead into full time jobs, you're kind of locked down into whatever role you took as an intern. If you applied for a position because you thought it might interest you but you weren't sure, and were offered a fulltime position afterward, your chance at experimenting in other roles becomes limited.

EA was absolutely INCREDIBLE to work with. The people were great, the benefits were amazing, and two outcomes are possible. Either a) you get a fulltime offer and you break into an industry only a select few do or b) you don't get an offer but you walk way with an incredible portfolio. That being said, the industry is very small and everyone knows everyone so go in with a positive attitude and willing to work your hardest so you can stay in this wonderful industry for life. The people you work with now you will most likely work with again at some point in the future.

I was asked about my educational background and how it could positively affect the role I was applying for. I was also given some scenarios and asked to come up with a design solution.

Advice to Management

More formal training would have been nice, or the opportunity to receive training or attend outside of work events (launch parties, conventions, etc.)

Great work culture, excellent minds in the organization
Austin, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

learning opportunity in the area i worked with other areas too

nothing i could think on which i least liked. The only cons i can think is its relocation amount and not providing any housing facility.

This company has best working culture. I really had blast throughout the internship. Team is good. people are so cool with great minds. People knows their jobs so well yet they are cool in attitude, That was the best experience i can get.

Advice to Management

i only have complain with the compensation in terms of relocation and housing and daily commute transportation.

Fast-paced internship is an incredible learning opportunity for the gaming industry and software development in general
Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get to work on real features of the game, and you gain experience working with a large team and a large code base. Everyone is very friendly, and happy to give you advice or answer questions.

At times the workload was inconsistent - sometimes lots to do, sometimes lots of downtime

It was a great experience, and you should go for it! I learned a lot, not just about games, but about software development and business in general. Even if I don't stay in the gaming industry, I will still be using what I learned from this internship. If you do apply to Tiburon (EA Sports), it helps if you are a sports fan.

Great look at the making of a major-franchise game!
Redwood City, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Inside look at what goes into creating a major-franchise game, working with interdisciplinary teams on design & implementation processes, creative problem-solving to confront issues of implementation and resolving bugs, input into the design process, sense that the work you do is what full-time employees do & valuable (maybe slower pace to start, maybe issues that require less specialization)

experience was somewhat specialized (ways of thinking skills / "soft" skills transferrable, "hard" skills not as much due to proprietary software etc.), dependency on infrequently-scheduled buses for transportation due to distance from public transportation

University Relations is very helpful. Your boss & team want you there, too -- they want you to succeed & like your experience, they want you to contribute & make a difference to the project.

It is a large company and you get an insight into the corporate structure -- be aware there may be layoffs and other changes that occur unexpectedly that will impact office moral/climate & possibly your own work.

Pitching to help the team when times are tough.
Redwood City, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to own small parts of the development process. Having the freedom to pitch my own ideas to people who listen. Compensation and soft benefits.

A bureaucracy that gets in the way of things getting done. Not being challenged enough.

My situation was probably the minority of all interns at EA, but I felt that we were being regarded less as potential employees, but more of a spare pair of hands to chip in development. Despite all that, I had a great time and spoke to many of my heroes, learning much about the process of AAA development. Your mileage may vary.

What do you think a producer does?

Advice to Management

Allowing ideas to propagate a bit more. There needs to be more effort to reward exercises in creativity; like hackathons, game jams that might lead to new IPs within the franchise.

Great internship, great people
Redwood City, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved my team, (and the server team). They made the whole experience absolutely amazing, and let me work on things that I found interesting and challenging

I felt that there were some members of the intern team who did not take similar advantage of their situation, and lowered the overall morale of the team. I think that the screening/interview process for this could have been slightly better.

I think EA is a great place to work, and there's a lot of freedom as an engineer.

Great opportunities to learn
Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work with the most talented people in the industry on high-profile products

the lack of intern activities

I cannot speak for artistic people, but for people who seek a technical position, EA Tiburon is definitely among the top tier employers that can provide competitive salaries and a nice working environment.

you get what you put in
Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with technically sound and experienced people

Pay was below par

Excellent opportunity for learning

Interns are given live project and are expected to contribute to the final game

Advice to Management

Compensation could be more considering the complexity of the work

A great experience in international business law with a wonderful group of people.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

You work with a truly international team on issues that extend beyond American law. This is a great opportunity to gain insight in how an MNE conducts its business. Additionally, the people you were with are fun, intelligent, genuinely caring individuals. You will not have a better summer anywhere else.

There was not an opportunity for future employment.

As there isn't a job prospect at the end of this internship, this is probably best as a 1L summer internship.