Intern at CBS News Internship Program? Submit a Review

CBS News Internship Program Offers Students Hands-On Experience - AND Life-long Skills

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Friendly employees who want to help interns learn the job

-Accessibility to employees and on-air talent for informational interviews

-Weekly intern discussions with top CBS employees

-Organized activities for interns to interact

-Hands-on experience

-Unpredictable schedule (department specific)

CBS News cares about their interns and uses this program to gain potential employees. You will gain experience that you can use in your desired field, while also building connections with incredibly talented members of the TV news field.

Who is the anchor for CBS Evening News?

Who are the anchors for CBS This Morning?

Who is your favorite journalist?

Working alongside seasoned political journalists, welcomed intern is immersed in 2016 election coverage and research

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

+ Meeting my childhood favorite reporter!
+ Working with expensive camera equipment to create a story for evaluation by the company's executives (how cool)! Their time, insight and advice was invaluable
+ Lectures from talented journalists throughout the company who have varying roles/contribution toward news coverage
+ Observing the reporting process from internal email chains, in which great reporters like John ****, Nancy Cordes,, etc. participated

I experienced serious flaws in the pay system. My direct deposit didn't work until the penultimate week of the internship. While I ultimately got my paychecks, no one in HR returned my calls or emails. No intern received their compensation until a month into the program, which is a delay I've never seen working for any company. Fortunately, I had a scholarship to cover living in New York this summer, but if it were any other student, he/she might not have been able to make rent.

CBS News is an extremely ethical and diverse news organization! Never have I worked in such a professional environment with such motivated employees. This intern program is extremely organized, with lectures from CBS staff, fun outdoor events (like kickball), and very clear work expectations. My hours were never terribly crazy, and the corporation offered overtime!

Advice to Management

Definitely improve issues surrounding payroll and direct deposit, which was pretty frustrating. Also, I would recommend sending out the intern assignments all at once instead of sporadically, over about a week. This was disheartening to some, who perceived a delay in selection as an indication that they were unpopular among the departments.

- What are your interests in journalism?
- What is your involvement with journalism in school?
- What are your future goals?
- Who is your favorite reporter?
- What time does the Evening News air?
- Who hosts the Evening News?
- Who hosts CBS This Morning?
- Who hosts Sunday Morning?
- What times does 60 Minutes air?

Great and eye opening to what it really takes to work in a network news company.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

awesome people, great openness in office space, cool things to work with

not enough hands on opportunities, lots of down time

Be diligent with getting to know people that is truly how you grow in this industry

Advice to Management

Allow less hand holding and throw us into the fire more give us something to strive for and do so down time is wanted not hated

Why do you want to work for CBS?

Ever changing but always exciting

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people who work with me are amazing. Everyone is eager to help you if you ask for help. Everyone wants to show you what they do for their job, they include you if you want to be included. I was able to do this internship with little knowledge of the field. They give you a lot of independence with your job but they also shadow you to make sure you're doing it right.

Sometimes the pressure of getting things out, or making sure what your sending is right is intense, especially during breaking news stories. Your work ours can be very early and long.

Definitely consider it even if you're not a journalism major or have any experience with broadcasting. You will learn a lot.

Advice to Management

Paying us a little more. Living/commuting in new york city is expensive and we are all broke college students. The internship hours make it impossible to have a second job, if a parent isn't supporting you or you don't have a savings account this internship is not feasible.

Who is the anchor for evening news?

What time does 60 minutes air?

How do you handle deadlines?

Intern gets amazing chance to improve skills and learn from the best

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship, willingness to teach and opportunities to get feedback and improve my skills.

Little preparation of potential internship pitfalls or explanation of the culture.

You will be able to do more at this network internship than many will do at a local internship, if you are in Radio News. Ask for chances to display your skills and ways to help.

Getting your foot in the door working in the CBS News Department assisting in anyway you can.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the welcome-ness I felt coming into the program. The feeling of joining "a team" and the fact that for most days I was needed.

I felt that the Broadcast Associate I work directly under did not fully respect me as the internship reached the end. Everything I did was doubted. Everything I asked was "corrected". I know I'm an intern and this has nothing to do with the program itself but if the producers told me to do something, she would doubt they actually talked with me about it.

This is an amazing organization and you will grow exponentially working here

Advice to Management

Management for the intern program, nothing! This program is run by one of the nicest people in the building and I never once felt like things needed to change or things should have been different

Learned a lot and really enjoyed it, but not my dream job

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved who I worked with and enjoyed what I did and appreciated how much time they took to teach me

It just isn't what I see myself doing long term

This is a great place to work, especially if you want to do journalism

Structured, organized, fun and filled with opportunities for experience.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to work with talented producers and the wealth of knowledge they were able to provide

I can't really say there was anything I disliked about the program. I was stressed at times working on certain projects, but it was good stress.

Be ready to work hard but to also have a good time.

Who is the host of the evening news on CBS?

Do you like to learn a lot about a few topics or a little about a lot of topics?

Who is a public figure you respect.

Experiencing the Real Work word in an Internship

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I like that I was able to engage with so many different people during my internship. I was able to work with broadcast associates to the vice president of news gathering of CBS News. I also liked how my co-workers treated me as if I was truly a part of the team. I wasn't treated like I was younger, I was treated as if I was an actual CBS News employee.

My schedule could sometimes be a hassle. I did not like working the night shift because I was not able to do much during the day.

Please know about CBS News before you apply. That is very helpful.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing fine as far as management.

What current events do you know of?
What is the latest news you've heard from CBS News?

Best Internship Since High School

Working in television news
Helping develop a broadcast
Meeting great and knowledgable individuals in broadcast journalism
Great and ambitious interns
Intern project was a great way to start a career in production

Not enough organized activities outside of weekly speakers
Certain shows have less to do during the summer
Intern project will always screw over the first group

You are going to love your internship experience. However, you must make it what you want. There will be moments where work is sparse. Don't feel afraid to ask for work. If no one has work, then walk around the broadcast center. There aren't many places where you will not have access or not know someone who can let you in.

Advice to Management

Diversity

Who are the anchors of CBS This Morning?

Who is the anchor of the CBS Evening News?

Who is the president of CBS News

Who was the longtime host of the Evening News?