CBS News Internship

Date: 2013

Fast paced, constantly challenging, and immensley rewarding journalism training

The people here are phenomenal and the culture is contagious. Being surrounded by helpful and intelligent mentors was by far the best part of my experience.

If anything it was just too short

Know the company and know the shows. Do your homework and come in with an open mind. Job descriptions don't exist in this business, if you want to be successful you can't consider yourself entitled to anything, at least at first.

Date: 2013

A place were 10 seconds is enough time to make an impression on many. Networking, networking and more networking.

The best part is the networking and hands on experience. (NEWSPATH)

The stipend could be a little more

Get lost in that building and meet as many people as you can.

Date: 2013

Gained valuable experience in a national-sized journalism newsroom

getting to help out with actual stories, had a legitimate editorial input with producers

didn't have my own desk space

Smile! and be friendly. This is a great place.

Date: 2013

An overall great experience with people that truly and honestly care about your success.

The people, no matter how high-up they were, were willing to listen and expressed a genuine interest in the things that interested me which I really appreciated.

Sometimes the duties at Newspath weren't as defined so some days I was not as active, but those times I tried to find projects outside of the department.

Mr. Kurt Davis is doing a great job trying to reinvent Newspath's image, so I believe that there is a modernization that will be beneficial for the brand.

Interns See Cool Things.

working with producers, learning from broadcast associates, cookies on Fridays.

commuting

Always be willing to help out with anything, nothing is beneath you.

Date: 2013

One of the best experiences of my life

The best aspects were the connections I was able to make. Also, everyone was very nice and accommodating.

There wasn't a thing that I didn't enjoy.

Take all the opportunities you get and make sure you make the best of what you have.

Intern Loves It

Meeting all the great people

Not paid by the hour

It's a great work environment

Interview and Logging

Interviewing professional athletes

Having to log video, research

Find a department you're interested in

Date: 2013

Priceless behind the scenes experience at one of the top-rated news programs in the country.

The internship program itself is fantastic. I got to hear people from all sides of the business speak, not just my department, and have learned an incredible amount in a short period of time. I definitely have a much better understanding of what it's like to work in the news and what would be expected of me in the future, particularly as I begin searching for a job in a few months. CBS is truly such an exciting place to work, and I was constantly inspired by everyone's journalistic integrity and their determination to get to where they are now and to get the most original stories possible.

Obviously July is a bit of a quiet month over at 60 Minutes. I couldn't have been happier to be at 60 Minutes because it is far and away my favorite news program on CBS, however I found it harder to make connections with everyone who works here (with the exception of a small number of people who I was reporting to throughout July) because the office was often empty.

CBS is a wonderful place to be employed. Everyone here demands a lot, but that is because the standards are high and this only makes you work harder to put forward your best self and your best work. I have heard often here that there is little sugarcoating around issues; if someone doesn't like something you worked on, they will tell you. That might not be the environment for everyone, but I have found that it leads to the high quality of journalism CBS is known for.

Advice to Management

I can't think of much the organization can do better regarding these issues- the stipend was unexpected and a nice surprise!

Date: 2013

Experience broadcast journalism to the fullest

The best aspects are the intern events, the intern project, and getting hands-on experience alongside some of the best in the industry.

I disliked how quiet it was during July.

Work hard and offer help to everyone.