CBS News Intern Program Internship

Intern at CBS News Intern Program Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Skills and Experience that can not be bought
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working for a national broadcast and helping the producers with content that will actually be used on air.

Lack of structure or mentorship in the beginning to learn the necessities and rules of the broadcast.

It is important to choose an internship that interests you and will allow you to gain professional experience that relates to your academic goals.

Advice to Management

If it is possible, it will be helpful to learn the basics within the first two weeks of the internship. Over the summer we had to learn information the moment we were working on a project rather than knowing it all beforehand.

CBS Internship Offers Real World Experience In One of the Best Corporate Environments in the Country
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were incredibly approachable, inclusive and intelligent--they were more than willing to work with you and the assignments were both challenging and more than likely would earn you some credit.

The stipend was rather weak.

I could not have asked for a better corporate environment. The people here at CBS and especially 60 Minutes want nothing more than for you to succeed. If you can prove your dedication and passion, they will ensure you are given the work to best demonstrate your skills. They function like a family and show young reporters what quality news reporting is all about. I cannot say enough positive things about this internship, but I know that I am working around the clock to make sure I come back there.

Advice to Management

I would say pay should be considered, but I would recommend the internship to anyone even without pay.

Best Internship Opportunity I've had!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were the networking opportunities and activities for te interns to get to know other interns and CBS employees.

Sometimes work was slow but that comes with the territory, I would just go to my supervisors and find work.

If you want a well rounded internship experience that introduces you to the world of journalism outside of the classroom, this is the internship for you!

Crash course in all aspects of news production
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Seminars with producers and executives at CBS where they gave us career advice and answered questions. Working on the intern project with other interns and getting a hands-on opportunity to put together a package. All of the CBS employees who went out of their way to help interns.

Not being able to experience what it was like to work in other departments.

Ask lots of questions and ask for opportunities even if the likely answer is "no".

Want a Dream Job? Start Paving Your Path With a Dream Internship at CBS News!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship are the group project and the people you get to meet. The group project is insanely challenging, but that's what makes it fun. The advisors are more than willing to help you out, and if you get the right group of kids together, it makes for a truly memorable experience. In addition, all of the people you will meet (whether employees or other interns) are all awesome. They make the internship experience great.

I wish we could have at least gotten more of a travel stipend! My school takes academic credit, but it only takes one credit, that doesn't count toward graduation...so basically they don't count it, which meant I couldn't get a travel stipend or a discounted train pass or housing discounts. To be honest, it was a privilege to intern here, so I didn't see it as something that was their problem. It was my situation, and I was fortunate enough to be picked, so I made arrangements as necessary to take advantage of this opportunity.

Talk to as many people as you can and ask how invested they are in the intern program. They absolutely love it, and if you're an intern who talks to a lot of different people and makes a lot of different contacts, these will be great references for future employers

Advice to Management

The only thing was travel money, but to be honest, it was a privilege to intern here, so I didn't see it as something that was their problem. It was my situation, and I was fortunate enough to be picked, so I made arrangements as necessary to take advantage of this opportunity.

Learning the Ropes, Making Connections
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to network with, meet and speak with people who are very prominent in their field. Also being able to create a piece to be shown to the executives was awesome.

Nothing at all.

Go in with an open mind. You are not above any work that you are asked to do. Working hard is rewarded and remembered.

Work the dream career as an intern
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are several opportunities to help producers with on-air content for the broadcast. As an intern I also had the ability to meet celebrities and attend on-location shoots. We are considered a part of the team and we are treated with respect as the other entry-level employees of the station.

Since this was a morning broadcast, the producers were very busy. In the beginning it would have been helpful to have a mentor or teacher describe the basics of working for a news station as well as helpful tips to succeed. The information in the beginning of the internship was very sporadic and there might have been less mistakes if people learned the proper way to complete tasks.

This is an internship that allows you to gain professional experience working with a prestigious company. CBS News is amazing and it is up to you to utilize all of the resources and services provided through this internship.

Potential for Greatness
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting incredible/inspiring people. Feeling that everyday had a purpose.

Money was very tight and was a bit stressful. Also, some of the younger people that I worked with were actually harder to get along with than the seniors of the show.

I learned important aspects of the business; more than I have in my 3 years of college. I'm prepared to take this on as a career.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed everything and nothing outstanding really comes to mind as to how the program could improve.

It was fantastic. I loved every minute.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The connections. The people. The experience.

No pay in Mannhattan is a kick in the nuts.

If you can afford it, do it.

Crazy Hours, but Incredible Networking Opportunity in NY, NY!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Location, Contacts, Living Away from Home for 1st time ever!

Hours, etc.

Set every single opportunity, no matter how meanial, as very important priority.

Advice to Management

hours for morning show are a bit crazy... perhaps a LITTLE more training could be offered with the company server....