CBS News Intern Program Internship

Date: 2013

Fast paced, constantly challenging, and immensley rewarding journalism training

The people here are phenomenal and the culture is contagious. Being surrounded by helpful and intelligent mentors was by far the best part of my experience.

If anything it was just too short

Know the company and know the shows. Do your homework and come in with an open mind. Job descriptions don't exist in this business, if you want to be successful you can't consider yourself entitled to anything, at least at first.

Date: 2013

A place were 10 seconds is enough time to make an impression on many. Networking, networking and more networking.

The best part is the networking and hands on experience. (NEWSPATH)

The stipend could be a little more

Get lost in that building and meet as many people as you can.

Date: 2013

Gained valuable experience in a national-sized journalism newsroom

getting to help out with actual stories, had a legitimate editorial input with producers

didn't have my own desk space

Smile! and be friendly. This is a great place.

Date: 2013

An overall great experience with people that truly and honestly care about your success.

The people, no matter how high-up they were, were willing to listen and expressed a genuine interest in the things that interested me which I really appreciated.

Sometimes the duties at Newspath weren't as defined so some days I was not as active, but those times I tried to find projects outside of the department.

Mr. Kurt Davis is doing a great job trying to reinvent Newspath's image, so I believe that there is a modernization that will be beneficial for the brand.

Dreams Become a Reality while interning with CBS News

I have definitely learned how to work well under pressure and to constantly maintain a positive attitude as a result of this internship. In the future I will be used to working with people from varying backgrounds and personalities and as a result, adapt to the environment a lot better.

I didn't like how I didn't have tasks to do at times, however I know that the reasons make sense since interns can't help with everything.

Because there won't be things to do all the time, I would tell potential interns to do anything and everything. It is not enough to execute a task, but do it with a smile so they can think of you for the next time.

Advice to Management

I had a great schedule and even as a person of color, I felt that this summer's internship group was pretty diverse.

Date: 2013

One of the best experiences of my life

The best aspects were the connections I was able to make. Also, everyone was very nice and accommodating.

There wasn't a thing that I didn't enjoy.

Take all the opportunities you get and make sure you make the best of what you have.

Interview and Logging

Interviewing professional athletes

Having to log video, research

Find a department you're interested in

Interns See Cool Things.

working with producers, learning from broadcast associates, cookies on Fridays.

commuting

Always be willing to help out with anything, nothing is beneath you.

Date: 2013

This internship was very rewarding.

Welcoming people, interactive work

It was difficult to get work when there were more interns in our department than there was work for

Put your self out there and try and talk to people on a personal level

Date: 2013

An internship so great that I wanted to wake up at 3:00 am to get to the office because everyone I worked with was so awesome.

Accessiblity to amazing resources and everyone at CBS was so willing to share advice and spend time talking to you.

I did not like all the logging and transcribing interviews. But it needs to be done.

They want people who can get the tasks done in a timely fashion and not screw them up - because they are simple tasks and they want to be able to rely on us to get stuff done and then they will continue giving you tasks.

Advice to Management

I think more socioeconomic diversity would be useful. Another opportunity to sit with the higher-ups, the senior producers, would have been good.