Intern at CBS News Intern Program? Submit a Review

A fulfilling experience that can be applied to any news medium

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Going out on shoots and having pitches approved.

Logging, not enough writing

Don't be discouraged when a pitch is not approved. Be proactive

Advice to Management

More writing and video editing exercises for interns

My internship was an eyeopening and educational experience that helped me figure out what area of journalism I want to be in.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part about my internship was working directly with Norah O'Donnell. I got to sit in the studio every day and help out whenever possible. I also was able to go on interviews with her.

The early hours were tough, but I got used to them. The intern project was also stressful, but rewarding in the end. It was also annoying to have to stay around to listen to speakers when my shift ended 2 hours before.

If you want an internship in entertainment or sports journalism, this is not the internship for you.

Working in a fast-paced, news environment

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to see firsthand people working in the journalism field that I want to go into. I watched producers, and got real hands on experience.

I do not have any cons for this internship.

CBS provided an amazing internship experience to everyone involved, and I would absolutely love to work for them.

Be on top of current events and what is going on in the world, know about CBS and it's shows.

Dream Come True

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting so many incredible people.

The other interns

I would just go out of my way to be overly helpful and meet as many people as you can!

CBS News Internship Program, You Make Your Experience, Not us!

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The weekly seminars with industry insiders.

The amount of interns

This internship consist of 50 or more interns. There is a lot of competitive behavior. Be ready to work hard and bring you're best game forward if you really want to be noticed.

Who is the host of the CBS evening News?

Advice to Management

The amount of interns. There were too many interns, not enough work, and too many staffed News Associates and Broadcast associates which basically did all the work interns would be doing.

Behind the scenes at a daily news show

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Treated as an employee, excellent superiors training me, weekly lecture series by prominent figures within the company, intern project

No changes at all

Be well organized, timely, efficient, well researched (about the company and the specific job you are applying for) and eager to ask quesitons

Intern learn a lot, becomes better researcher at 60 Minutes.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

People I worked with, everyone seemed invested in my internship being a positive experience, feedback, projects I was able to work on

Most of the office was on vacation for July but I knew that was going to happen

During the summer months, ask for work to do to keep yourself busy.

Advice to Management

More hands on training with company software like archives. Formal review process at conclusion of internship.

Amazing Experience that not many can receive

The Project. The field experience

At times had nothing to do

Full time job offers are hard

Basic questions about yourself. Questions about CBS

Advice to Management

The building is old and out-dated.

CBS News Internship Program provides diverse, dynamic experience in broadcast media

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The week-long intern project was an incredible experience--nothing teaches how to put a story together for air better than actually having to go out there and do it. Having the opportunity to learn, shadow and work with incredibly talented producers, editors and other staffers was also invaluable. To be able to tap into their past experiences was very informative and painted a clear picture of what it took to be successful in the industry. Finally, the weekly seminars with top CBS executives, producers and on-air talent were unique experiences that I doubt many internship programs can top.

Although it's obvious and expected, the pay wasn't great. This internship confirmed that you don't get into journalism for the money...This second con probably applies to all internships: since we're only there for a such a relatively short period, there's only so much work we can be assigned and so much we can contribute. But internships are first and foremost a learning experience.

Make sure you're comfortable with reaching out to people and asking for work, if you can sit in on a meeting, shadow, etc. Your supervisors won't always be on top of you with assignments. Reach out and grab them yourself.

Do you know a lot about a little or a little about a lot?

Advice to Management

Create a more structured timeline for promotions.

Gained valuable experience in a national-sized journalism newsroom

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

getting to help out with actual stories, had a legitimate editorial input with producers

didn't have my own desk space

Smile! and be friendly. This is a great place.