Intern at CBS News Internship Program? Submit a Review

Experiences vary greatly across divsions

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The access to the immense network that CBS has to offer.

CBS This Morning does not have any structure for their interns.

CBS has a nice corporate culture, but sometimes forgets about its interns.

Advice to Management

CBS This Morning could have a few more tasks assigned specifically to interns.

You get out what you put in.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to experience, visually and physically, the many different areas of the business.

Some shifts didn't have that much going on and the limit of what an intern can/is allowed to/is able to do.

Show effort, have a good attitude, and always be willing to help.

very hands on experience that taught me more than I expected

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with the different creative people that help prepare the shows. It was interesting to see different views on how to relay the same information.

Pay could have been more especially when it came to working things such as breaking news or political campaigns.

CBS is an amazing place to be and definitely does what journalism should do and is fair and objective.

Summer Legal Intern

making good connections

there was nothing I didn't like

Reach out to producers. Don't wait for them to come to you.

Learned a lot about a lot

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working at 60 Minutes gave me a lot of responsibility, but also a lot of independence.

I honestly liked everything about the internship itself. The location (57th and 11th) is not ideal--but beyond that I really have nothing negative to say.

Be ready to network and really put yourself out there

Advice to Management

For 60 Minutes specifically there do not seem to be any clear paths to getting a job--so maybe clarifying that.

Who is one person (dead or alive) who you would like to meet.

Who anchors the evening news?

What do you like about CBS News

Why do you want to work here

etc

The Devil Wears Media Credentials

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Best aspect was that we got to talk to a lot of sources ourselves and book people for CBSN.

The part I liked the least were my bosses.

I don't really understand this question and therefore don't feel I can accurately answer it.

Advice to Management

I think it is very important for bosses to remember that we are interns. We are supposed to be learning during this experience, therefore it should be expected that we still have things to learn.

Why CBS News as opposed to the other networks?

Best News Experience of My Life

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

- intern project I got to work on with other interns
- everybody was nice and welcoming and answered all my questions
- given tasks to do that were beneficial

- sometimes had a lot of down time that I didn't know what to do with

- ask questions and ask to do things!

Advice to Management

- approach interns and make them feel comfortable to approach you with questions.

- What will you bring to CBS News?
- Name some of the hosts or correspondents for the different shows on CBS News

Fantastic, great environment.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and fast paced environment.

The people

Be proactive

I learned what true journalism is.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded by the most amazing people in this industry. Having opportunities to pick their brains and work with them directly. Learning how to truly research and dig into a story and find elements that others wouldn't. See the process of producers as they take news stories and make them understandable and applicable to the entire public.

Very little oversight in my department. Other interns were either amazing or awful. It was fairly obvious who got here through connections vs. talent/hard work.

While I personally don't think pay is required, there is frustration knowing that the interns working at NBC/ABC are getting paid for very similar work to what we are performing.

Summer Interns at "60 Minutes" should get two- three weeks as a group in July to put together a 60 minutes style/quality piece. They would have enough time to put something together while still working on other topics/research etc...

Be overly friendly to everyone-spend less time getting to know the other interns right off the bat and more time getting to know the employees. Act like you would want an intern working for you to act. Don't wait for people to ask you to do things. Step up and figure out what can be done.

Advice to Management

Allow interns the opportunity to have crossover into other areas if they want it. Applying for one area at CBS was the hardest thing I have ever done and I feel like different areas might benefit different people more/less. That being said...keep up the fantastic program. It is well-organized, super educational and motivated me every day. Thank you.

There's no such thing as good writing, only good rewriting

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Listening to all of the speakers, including Scott Pelley, David Rhodes, Jeff Fager, and Susan Zirinsky

Not being able to rotate to different departments

Plenty of hands-on experience and networking opportunities, and the intern project is an amazing opportunity to produce your own segment and work with interns and producers from various departments.

Advice to Management

Compensation for travel and meals would be appreciated