Intern at CBS News Intern Program? Submit a Review

Fantastic, great environment.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and fast paced environment.

The people

Be proactive

I learned what true journalism is.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded by the most amazing people in this industry. Having opportunities to pick their brains and work with them directly. Learning how to truly research and dig into a story and find elements that others wouldn't. See the process of producers as they take news stories and make them understandable and applicable to the entire public.

Very little oversight in my department. Other interns were either amazing or awful. It was fairly obvious who got here through connections vs. talent/hard work.

While I personally don't think pay is required, there is frustration knowing that the interns working at NBC/ABC are getting paid for very similar work to what we are performing.

Summer Interns at "60 Minutes" should get two- three weeks as a group in July to put together a 60 minutes style/quality piece. They would have enough time to put something together while still working on other topics/research etc...

Be overly friendly to everyone-spend less time getting to know the other interns right off the bat and more time getting to know the employees. Act like you would want an intern working for you to act. Don't wait for people to ask you to do things. Step up and figure out what can be done.

Advice to Management

Allow interns the opportunity to have crossover into other areas if they want it. Applying for one area at CBS was the hardest thing I have ever done and I feel like different areas might benefit different people more/less. That being said...keep up the fantastic program. It is well-organized, super educational and motivated me every day. Thank you.

Great place to go to work everyday.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Easy to make great connections, access to a lot of technology, information, resources.

Tough to get assignments that possess actual value.

Employees are all kind, friendly, and helpful.

loved it

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got a lot of hands on experience assisting the producers with their projects

I only had 10 weeks there, not enough time to really get comfortable and get good at what I was doing

If you get into the CBS internship program, try as hard as you can to get in to the Investigative Unit. It is by far the best gig.

Met great people and had a lot of exposure to news pr

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunities within the company that I was able to experience such as attending 60 minutes shoots and the evening news

Sometimes there was a shortage of valuable tasks to accomplish and I would have liked to do more outside of the office with the publicists

A great company to work for with a cohesive corporate culture

Advice to Management

More money for interns and more responsibility put on us in the press office

CBS NEW INTERNSHIP: MEDIOCRE TASKS WITH AWESOME OPPORTUNITIES

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

We had a lot of great opportunities to speak to executives in the company. Got to see some cool things. The office was very friendly.

The everyday tasks were somewhat boring and felt some what unimportant. Sometimes I felt as though the office did not know what to do with us. I did a lot of just sitting there- not that I wanted more "busy" work.

Be very open in the beginning about your expectations.

Advice to Management

In the press office I would recommend assigning an intern to each of the publicists

There's no such thing as good writing, only good rewriting

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Listening to all of the speakers, including Scott Pelley, David Rhodes, Jeff Fager, and Susan Zirinsky

Not being able to rotate to different departments

Plenty of hands-on experience and networking opportunities, and the intern project is an amazing opportunity to produce your own segment and work with interns and producers from various departments.

Advice to Management

Compensation for travel and meals would be appreciated

Learn the ins and outs of the broadcast news industry in this hands-on internship

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great networking, learned new skills, gained insight into the industry

No pay, commute.

If you are passionate about television journalism and are responsible, independent and hard-working, this internship is for you.

Advice to Management

Pay us minimum wage. Every other network pays. Especially if it's 40 hours a week, which is full time.

The most informative and interactive internship in network broadcast news.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

learning the real world experience of the broadcast industry and working on a group project.

lack of pay( but still wonderful experience!) in a expensive city as New York.

Be proactive, make as many connections as possible and be willing to work on any project given to you with enthusiasm.

Advice to Management

n/a

CBS News Provides Unique Opportunity

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Going on shoots, the internship project, guest speakers.

Sitting around the office all day without much to do.

Good for creating contacts at a major news industry, but if at Newspath will get less real world experience.