Intern at CBS News Internship Program? Submit a Review

Best News Experience of My Life

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

- intern project I got to work on with other interns
- everybody was nice and welcoming and answered all my questions
- given tasks to do that were beneficial

- sometimes had a lot of down time that I didn't know what to do with

- ask questions and ask to do things!

Advice to Management

- approach interns and make them feel comfortable to approach you with questions.

- What will you bring to CBS News?
- Name some of the hosts or correspondents for the different shows on CBS News

Fantastic, great environment.

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and fast paced environment.

The people

Be proactive

Students thankful for CBS Summer Internship

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was getting to witness the production side of things. For example, the many steps that the producers and executive producers take to ensure that the show is a success.

The least favorite part about the internship was sometimes dealing with difficult people. Not everyone you meet while interning at CBS will be friendly or welcoming. Some people can be rude and show favoritism to other interns.

Make sure you do your research before applying for this internship.

Advice to Management

Try not to show favoritism to certain interns based off race, sex, and ethnicity.

Exciting, engaging, educational internship at the best news network

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns were great, social life was wonderful, learned a lot.

If you were not a journalism student you were extremely excluded.

Valuable for journalism students.

Advice to Management

No compensation is hard in Manhattan, employee retention rate is SCARY. Over the summer a page was fired for what appeared to be the whim of his supervisor and then hired the next day by someone else in the corporation....

Fabulous professional experience in the legitimate, fast-paced, national network.

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people- serious about their work, fun, energetic, and willing to help. Opportunities to build personal portfolio and learn hands on, practical skills.

Lack of good pay (extremely expensive to live in city), requirement of academic credit, lack of on-set exposure

Fast-paced, spontaneous/unexpected events, be willing bold and offer help at every opportunity.

Intern learns from ups and downs on the job.

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Without a doubt the best part of the internship was the group project. It wasn't even close.

A lot of the time I did not have a whole lot to do in the office. This wasn't always the case, but sometimes it could be a bit dull.

Make the most out of your experience in the city, particularly if you aren't native to it. It's important to put your internship first, but I'd advise future interns to explore the city as much as possible.

Advice to Management

It certainly would help if CBS News, a company that presumably does well for itself, would pay its interns. Although, the $50 a week stipend was nice.

Week-Long News Package Project Made Entire Internship Worth It

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, working at prestigious news media outlet CBS NEWS.

Doing grunt work, feeling taken advantage of.

No comment

Experiental Learning

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Training, real-life experience in the field

We weren't paid.

Great environment (at least at Channel One News); supervisors were very helpful

Advice to Management

Pay interns other than a stipend

I learned the world of broadcast media from the best in the industry by providing hands-on assistance to put together a daily show.

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship was the advice I was given by industry experts and the weekly seminars that were organized by the internship coordinator.

The hours were difficult to get used to and there was often a good amount of down time during the day.

It is a great internship but do not take the internship with expectations of getting a full time job offer upon completion.

Learning from a Reality Show Guru

New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked very closely with incredibly intelligent people with impressive resumes. They were willing to share their knowledge with me -- the office had an "open door policy" and really adhered to it. Also, all CBS News interns had the opportunity to attend lectures by anchors, producers, and even the president and chairman of company. In fact, we all presented projects to the very best of the organization and received feedback from them.

My department made it very clear that they had no full-time positions available.

Consider carefully what department you want to work with. Be prepared to network!

Advice to Management

It was a wonderful experience -- no need for improvement.

Get Our Career Newsletter

Interview, resume and job search tips emailed directly to you.