Intern at CBS News Intern Program? Submit a Review

Opportunity to observe medical broadcasting from a major network

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Going on shoots and watching how news packages are made

A lot of down time

It's great for a resume but there will be a lot of down time. You will get to see how some of the best broadcasters work, but you need to take the initiative.

The inside scoop of 60 Minutes, what makes your news tick.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with amazing mentors, being really involved in team discussions, having a voice, being encouraged to pitch original stories, having the opportunity to produce an original piece, various planned intern events/speaks, comaraderie, making an impact - not just doing clerical work.

In July most of 60 Minutes employees are away so it's a lot of solo work.

Definitely get involved and reach out to people. Everyone is very willing to help but they are also busy with their own projects. If you make it known that you are there and willing to help, they will be great mentors.

Advice to Management

Paid internship would be great, but the experience is worth it regardless.

CBS News gives people an extraordinary opportunity and experience through internship program

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were absolutely great, and kept me wanting to come back each day. Being able to watch producers and correspondents at work, as well as putting together a package was an amazing experience.

The hours were long, but nothing that isn't expected for a news organization. Totally managable and acceptable.

CBS News is an incredible place to work and the opportunites you are allowed here go unmatched to any place I have worked so far.

Priceless behind the scenes experience at one of the top-rated news programs in the country.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship program itself is fantastic. I got to hear people from all sides of the business speak, not just my department, and have learned an incredible amount in a short period of time. I definitely have a much better understanding of what it's like to work in the news and what would be expected of me in the future, particularly as I begin searching for a job in a few months. CBS is truly such an exciting place to work, and I was constantly inspired by everyone's journalistic integrity and their determination to get to where they are now and to get the most original stories possible.

Obviously July is a bit of a quiet month over at 60 Minutes. I couldn't have been happier to be at 60 Minutes because it is far and away my favorite news program on CBS, however I found it harder to make connections with everyone who works here (with the exception of a small number of people who I was reporting to throughout July) because the office was often empty.

CBS is a wonderful place to be employed. Everyone here demands a lot, but that is because the standards are high and this only makes you work harder to put forward your best self and your best work. I have heard often here that there is little sugarcoating around issues; if someone doesn't like something you worked on, they will tell you. That might not be the environment for everyone, but I have found that it leads to the high quality of journalism CBS is known for.

Advice to Management

I can't think of much the organization can do better regarding these issues- the stipend was unexpected and a nice surprise!

An internship so great that I wanted to wake up at 3:00 am to get to the office because everyone I worked with was so awesome.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Accessiblity to amazing resources and everyone at CBS was so willing to share advice and spend time talking to you.

I did not like all the logging and transcribing interviews. But it needs to be done.

They want people who can get the tasks done in a timely fashion and not screw them up - because they are simple tasks and they want to be able to rely on us to get stuff done and then they will continue giving you tasks.

Advice to Management

I think more socioeconomic diversity would be useful. Another opportunity to sit with the higher-ups, the senior producers, would have been good.

This internship was very rewarding.

Welcoming people, interactive work

It was difficult to get work when there were more interns in our department than there was work for

Put your self out there and try and talk to people on a personal level

An Eye Opening Experience

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intern project was the best part of the program

My department was extremely slow in the summer- wasnt something that could be changed

Cbsnews is an exciting, competitive place to work

I learned what true journalism is.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded by the most amazing people in this industry. Having opportunities to pick their brains and work with them directly. Learning how to truly research and dig into a story and find elements that others wouldn't. See the process of producers as they take news stories and make them understandable and applicable to the entire public.

Very little oversight in my department. Other interns were either amazing or awful. It was fairly obvious who got here through connections vs. talent/hard work.

While I personally don't think pay is required, there is frustration knowing that the interns working at NBC/ABC are getting paid for very similar work to what we are performing.

Summer Interns at "60 Minutes" should get two- three weeks as a group in July to put together a 60 minutes style/quality piece. They would have enough time to put something together while still working on other topics/research etc...

Be overly friendly to everyone-spend less time getting to know the other interns right off the bat and more time getting to know the employees. Act like you would want an intern working for you to act. Don't wait for people to ask you to do things. Step up and figure out what can be done.

Advice to Management

Allow interns the opportunity to have crossover into other areas if they want it. Applying for one area at CBS was the hardest thing I have ever done and I feel like different areas might benefit different people more/less. That being said...keep up the fantastic program. It is well-organized, super educational and motivated me every day. Thank you.

Gaining real, hands-on experience with news publicity.

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The willingness of the publicists to give me projects and things to do and to help them with. Being trusted to complete tasks on my own, even pitching a story to radio stations.

Most of the tasks were able to be completed during the first half of the day, so there was not much to do during the second half.

Be knowledgeable about the executive staff at CBS News (president, chairman, executive producers, talent). Be up-to-date with world and national news.

There's no such thing as good writing, only good rewriting

New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Listening to all of the speakers, including Scott Pelley, David Rhodes, Jeff Fager, and Susan Zirinsky

Not being able to rotate to different departments

Plenty of hands-on experience and networking opportunities, and the intern project is an amazing opportunity to produce your own segment and work with interns and producers from various departments.

Advice to Management

Compensation for travel and meals would be appreciated