CBS News Intern Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #4 Best Media & Telecommunications Internships

An Eye Opening Experience
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intern project was the best part of the program

My department was extremely slow in the summer- wasnt something that could be changed

Cbsnews is an exciting, competitive place to work

Experience broadcast journalism to the fullest
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects are the intern events, the intern project, and getting hands-on experience alongside some of the best in the industry.

I disliked how quiet it was during July.

Work hard and offer help to everyone.

Opportunity to observe medical broadcasting from a major network
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Going on shoots and watching how news packages are made

A lot of down time

It's great for a resume but there will be a lot of down time. You will get to see how some of the best broadcasters work, but you need to take the initiative.

Priceless behind the scenes experience at one of the top-rated news programs in the country.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship program itself is fantastic. I got to hear people from all sides of the business speak, not just my department, and have learned an incredible amount in a short period of time. I definitely have a much better understanding of what it's like to work in the news and what would be expected of me in the future, particularly as I begin searching for a job in a few months. CBS is truly such an exciting place to work, and I was constantly inspired by everyone's journalistic integrity and their determination to get to where they are now and to get the most original stories possible.

Obviously July is a bit of a quiet month over at 60 Minutes. I couldn't have been happier to be at 60 Minutes because it is far and away my favorite news program on CBS, however I found it harder to make connections with everyone who works here (with the exception of a small number of people who I was reporting to throughout July) because the office was often empty.

CBS is a wonderful place to be employed. Everyone here demands a lot, but that is because the standards are high and this only makes you work harder to put forward your best self and your best work. I have heard often here that there is little sugarcoating around issues; if someone doesn't like something you worked on, they will tell you. That might not be the environment for everyone, but I have found that it leads to the high quality of journalism CBS is known for.

Advice to Management

I can't think of much the organization can do better regarding these issues- the stipend was unexpected and a nice surprise!

CBS News gives people an extraordinary opportunity and experience through internship program
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were absolutely great, and kept me wanting to come back each day. Being able to watch producers and correspondents at work, as well as putting together a package was an amazing experience.

The hours were long, but nothing that isn't expected for a news organization. Totally managable and acceptable.

CBS News is an incredible place to work and the opportunites you are allowed here go unmatched to any place I have worked so far.

Intern Loves It
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting all the great people

Not paid by the hour

It's a great work environment

This internship was very rewarding.

Welcoming people, interactive work

It was difficult to get work when there were more interns in our department than there was work for

Put your self out there and try and talk to people on a personal level

Extremely steep learning curve and you can decide how much and how fast you learn by how much you want to put into the internship.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the environment of the department I was in. The culture was amazing and the people were extremely friendly and funny.

There wasn't that much to do at times.

That the people here are genuinely good people and want you to succeed.

I learned what true journalism is.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded by the most amazing people in this industry. Having opportunities to pick their brains and work with them directly. Learning how to truly research and dig into a story and find elements that others wouldn't. See the process of producers as they take news stories and make them understandable and applicable to the entire public.

Very little oversight in my department. Other interns were either amazing or awful. It was fairly obvious who got here through connections vs. talent/hard work.

While I personally don't think pay is required, there is frustration knowing that the interns working at NBC/ABC are getting paid for very similar work to what we are performing.

Summer Interns at "60 Minutes" should get two- three weeks as a group in July to put together a 60 minutes style/quality piece. They would have enough time to put something together while still working on other topics/research etc...

Be overly friendly to everyone-spend less time getting to know the other interns right off the bat and more time getting to know the employees. Act like you would want an intern working for you to act. Don't wait for people to ask you to do things. Step up and figure out what can be done.

Advice to Management

Allow interns the opportunity to have crossover into other areas if they want it. Applying for one area at CBS was the hardest thing I have ever done and I feel like different areas might benefit different people more/less. That being said...keep up the fantastic program. It is well-organized, super educational and motivated me every day. Thank you.

A realistic look into Journalism
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to get a wealth of knowledge and experience

I would have liked the opportunity to preview other departments.

Take advantage of all the time you have .

Advice to Management

Better compensation .