CBS News Internship

Date: 2013

Interns learns valuable lessons about industry, what it takes

I really enjoyed earning bylines for video web write-ups on http://cbsthismorning.com. It was also incredibly beneficial to work with on social media and be put in the middle of all major interviews, stories, etc.

I don't think I can say I disliked any one aspect; overall, this has been a very informative, eye-opening, and valuable set of experiences for me. I will say it was a bit difficult to adjust to the 5:45am to 1:45pm schedule, but that was just a pretty fair trade-off for the rest of what this summer offered.

I would advise finding someone you can work closely with on a daily basis. It helps you make a connection in the office, and allows you to seek out additional opportunities at CBS News.

Advice to Management

n/a

Date: 2013

Learn the ins and outs of the broadcast news industry in this hands-on internship

Great networking, learned new skills, gained insight into the industry

No pay, commute.

If you are passionate about television journalism and are responsible, independent and hard-working, this internship is for you.

Advice to Management

Pay us minimum wage. Every other network pays. Especially if it's 40 hours a week, which is full time.

CBS News Provides Unique Opportunity

Going on shoots, the internship project, guest speakers.

Sitting around the office all day without much to do.

Good for creating contacts at a major news industry, but if at Newspath will get less real world experience.

REUTERS: PAKISTAN BLAST KILLS SEVEN

Working in an exciting environment, getting extensive technical and editorial experience in the news industry

Had to work strange hours, as desk is a 24-hour operation

The work can be very demanding--they throw you into the thick of everything. Keep a positive attitude and an open mind and you'll get a lot out of the experience.

Date: 2012

The best thing I've ever done!

The opportunity to get great hands on experience, and learn from the best in the industry.

It was un-paid.

Just be willing to give it your all. Work hard, smart and be positive.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say, the management was excellent!

CBS News the best place for a journalist to Intern

The greatest aspects of the internship was the ability to be able to work with producers and assistants on shows. It was a really rewarding experience. Also having the chance to learn from some of the most powerful people in the industry.

Not applicable

My advice is to be eager, attentive, an asset to the team and no job is to little.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

A wonderful hands on experience at CBS News

Meeting professionals

Everything about the internship was completely amazing

Be ready for an ACTUAL internship, where you work with the company.

Advice to Management

Nothing, the organization was flawless.

Date: 2012

CBS News internship the most rewarding, challenging and gratifying experience of my life.

We were encouraged, and had the ability, to make the internship what best suited to our needs. Not only was I entrusted to complete major projects that involved coordinating logistics for CBS Radio affiliates, I also had time to initiate meetings with reporters and producers I have admired for years. Katie Curcio, our intern coordinator, also did a fantastic job of providing us with speakers every week, kickball and softball games, as well as the chance to spend a week putting together a TV story with a group. I can't complain about one thing about that internship. It was the best.

I honestly liked everything about it. I was nervous to work with random members of a group for a week, but it worked out great and provided real-world challenges that we learned to work through.

Even at the network level, there is a tremendous feeling of family at CBS. I felt welcomed by everyone I met.

Date: 2012

Skills and Experience that can not be bought

Working for a national broadcast and helping the producers with content that will actually be used on air.

Lack of structure or mentorship in the beginning to learn the necessities and rules of the broadcast.

It is important to choose an internship that interests you and will allow you to gain professional experience that relates to your academic goals.

Advice to Management

If it is possible, it will be helpful to learn the basics within the first two weeks of the internship. Over the summer we had to learn information the moment we were working on a project rather than knowing it all beforehand.

CBS News Internship Program a boon to student journalists

- the experience (writing, researching, interviewing) - corporate culture nonexistent (felt welcome and appreciated)

- Educational Housing, the organization which they recommended, was not up to par.

- Appreciative of all workers, no matter what the job. - Absence of corporate vibe makes everyone feel welcome.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)