CBS News Intern Program Internship

Intern at CBS News Intern Program Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Exciting, engaging, educational internship at the best news network
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns were great, social life was wonderful, learned a lot.

If you were not a journalism student you were extremely excluded.

Valuable for journalism students.

Advice to Management

No compensation is hard in Manhattan, employee retention rate is SCARY. Over the summer a page was fired for what appeared to be the whim of his supervisor and then hired the next day by someone else in the corporation....

Fabulous professional experience in the legitimate, fast-paced, national network.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people- serious about their work, fun, energetic, and willing to help. Opportunities to build personal portfolio and learn hands on, practical skills.

Lack of good pay (extremely expensive to live in city), requirement of academic credit, lack of on-set exposure

Fast-paced, spontaneous/unexpected events, be willing bold and offer help at every opportunity.

Intern learns from ups and downs on the job.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Without a doubt the best part of the internship was the group project. It wasn't even close.

A lot of the time I did not have a whole lot to do in the office. This wasn't always the case, but sometimes it could be a bit dull.

Make the most out of your experience in the city, particularly if you aren't native to it. It's important to put your internship first, but I'd advise future interns to explore the city as much as possible.

Advice to Management

It certainly would help if CBS News, a company that presumably does well for itself, would pay its interns. Although, the $50 a week stipend was nice.

Amazing summer introduction to Journalism
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence to work on stories that I thought were interesting, geunine interest of everyone in the office to help me learn and get as involved as possible. Work on interesting stories and meet great people

It was tough because 60 minutes is off season during the summer so there were not too many people in the office/as muc opportunities to work on stories

lots of interns that really want jobs so competition is very high so you really have to stand out as a worker

Advice to Management

making it a paying internship because it is tough to live in the city having an unpaid internship, really limits the kinds of interns that can afford to work there

Week-Long News Package Project Made Entire Internship Worth It
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, working at prestigious news media outlet CBS NEWS.

Doing grunt work, feeling taken advantage of.

No comment

Learning from a Reality Show Guru
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked very closely with incredibly intelligent people with impressive resumes. They were willing to share their knowledge with me -- the office had an "open door policy" and really adhered to it. Also, all CBS News interns had the opportunity to attend lectures by anchors, producers, and even the president and chairman of company. In fact, we all presented projects to the very best of the organization and received feedback from them.

My department made it very clear that they had no full-time positions available.

Consider carefully what department you want to work with. Be prepared to network!

Advice to Management

It was a wonderful experience -- no need for improvement.

I learned the world of broadcast media from the best in the industry by providing hands-on assistance to put together a daily show.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship was the advice I was given by industry experts and the weekly seminars that were organized by the internship coordinator.

The hours were difficult to get used to and there was often a good amount of down time during the day.

It is a great internship but do not take the internship with expectations of getting a full time job offer upon completion.

Experiental Learning
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Training, real-life experience in the field

We weren't paid.

Great environment (at least at Channel One News); supervisors were very helpful

Advice to Management

Pay interns other than a stipend

Little responsibility given, but cultural experiences amaze
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being in the city and meeting people, having the potential to affect a national broadcast.

There was almost no real responsibility given to interns.

If you really want to work in television it might be worth it just to get a foot in the door.

Long hours, no pay, but was worth it most of the time
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being apart of an organization that I deeply respect was amazing. It was so neat to be surrounded and learn from people who produce a news product that I admire.

I found it disappointing that I worked more than 40 hours per work without pay.

Be prepared to be serious. It's a no nonsense environment.

Advice to Management

It was difficult to live in New York City and only be compensated $50/week. It would help morale if it was paid.