CBS News Intern Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #4 Best Media & Telecommunications Internships

Crash course in all aspects of news production
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Seminars with producers and executives at CBS where they gave us career advice and answered questions. Working on the intern project with other interns and getting a hands-on opportunity to put together a package. All of the CBS employees who went out of their way to help interns.

Not being able to experience what it was like to work in other departments.

Ask lots of questions and ask for opportunities even if the likely answer is "no".

Best Internship Opportunity I've had!
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were the networking opportunities and activities for te interns to get to know other interns and CBS employees.

Sometimes work was slow but that comes with the territory, I would just go to my supervisors and find work.

If you want a well rounded internship experience that introduces you to the world of journalism outside of the classroom, this is the internship for you!

An excellent, hands-on opportunity to work with a national media organization

Networking, meaningful work

Low compensation

Must be willing to put in serious work and must love journalism.

Advice to Management

Better compensation might be nice, but everything else was truly perfect.

CBS News has confirmed that I am pursuing the field I want to be in, and encourages my passion to excel at whatever task is given to me.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning the many aspects that go into creating a news show and networking with these people.

I wish there were some way to improve one's writing skills.

No job is above you, but no job is beneath you either. Pursue anything you want to do to make a lasting impression from making behind-the-scenes videos to reorganizing cabinets to free up more space. Every extra thing goes a long way.

CBS Interns Gain Valuable Experience
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment was exceptional. I developed a close relationship with my producers and everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.

For the first two weeks approximately, I did not have much to do, which made the work day drag by.

Always be honest and professional. Do the work to your best of your ability.

CBS Internship Offers Real World Experience In One of the Best Corporate Environments in the Country
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were incredibly approachable, inclusive and intelligent--they were more than willing to work with you and the assignments were both challenging and more than likely would earn you some credit.

The stipend was rather weak.

I could not have asked for a better corporate environment. The people here at CBS and especially 60 Minutes want nothing more than for you to succeed. If you can prove your dedication and passion, they will ensure you are given the work to best demonstrate your skills. They function like a family and show young reporters what quality news reporting is all about. I cannot say enough positive things about this internship, but I know that I am working around the clock to make sure I come back there.

Advice to Management

I would say pay should be considered, but I would recommend the internship to anyone even without pay.

Want a Dream Job? Start Paving Your Path With a Dream Internship at CBS News!
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship are the group project and the people you get to meet. The group project is insanely challenging, but that's what makes it fun. The advisors are more than willing to help you out, and if you get the right group of kids together, it makes for a truly memorable experience. In addition, all of the people you will meet (whether employees or other interns) are all awesome. They make the internship experience great.

I wish we could have at least gotten more of a travel stipend! My school takes academic credit, but it only takes one credit, that doesn't count toward graduation...so basically they don't count it, which meant I couldn't get a travel stipend or a discounted train pass or housing discounts. To be honest, it was a privilege to intern here, so I didn't see it as something that was their problem. It was my situation, and I was fortunate enough to be picked, so I made arrangements as necessary to take advantage of this opportunity.

Talk to as many people as you can and ask how invested they are in the intern program. They absolutely love it, and if you're an intern who talks to a lot of different people and makes a lot of different contacts, these will be great references for future employers

Advice to Management

The only thing was travel money, but to be honest, it was a privilege to intern here, so I didn't see it as something that was their problem. It was my situation, and I was fortunate enough to be picked, so I made arrangements as necessary to take advantage of this opportunity.

CBS intern hoping make this a permanent career.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The networking opportunities and going on shoots.

That I was broke in NYC but it was worthwhile.

Always be prepared to do more than what is expected of you.

Taking a Risk Pays Off: CBS Internship Completely Worth It
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The networking opportunities, what I learned, the people I met, etc

Nothing - it was an amazing experience

Dont be afraid to apply somewhere outside of your comfort zone

It was fantastic. I loved every minute.
New York, NY | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The connections. The people. The experience.

No pay in Mannhattan is a kick in the nuts.

If you can afford it, do it.