CBS News Internship

Date: 2013

very engaging environment, incredibly nice and intelligent people

original news piece project, weekly workshops, high level of exposure

not given many long term or in-depth projects to work on

great company with great people

Date: 2013

Summer intern discovers her passion in CBS News control room and newsroom

Exposure to the field and networking opportunities

Small stipend, unpaid - hard work and long hours

The staff is vivacious and eager to help.

Advice to Management

Compensation for interns

loved it

I got a lot of hands on experience assisting the producers with their projects

I only had 10 weeks there, not enough time to really get comfortable and get good at what I was doing

If you get into the CBS internship program, try as hard as you can to get in to the Investigative Unit. It is by far the best gig.

Date: 2013

Met great people and had a lot of exposure to news pr

The opportunities within the company that I was able to experience such as attending 60 minutes shoots and the evening news

Sometimes there was a shortage of valuable tasks to accomplish and I would have liked to do more outside of the office with the publicists

A great company to work for with a cohesive corporate culture

Advice to Management

More money for interns and more responsibility put on us in the press office

Date: 2013

Gaining real, hands-on experience with news publicity.

The willingness of the publicists to give me projects and things to do and to help them with. Being trusted to complete tasks on my own, even pitching a story to radio stations.

Most of the tasks were able to be completed during the first half of the day, so there was not much to do during the second half.

Be knowledgeable about the executive staff at CBS News (president, chairman, executive producers, talent). Be up-to-date with world and national news.

Date: 2013

I learned what true journalism is.

Being surrounded by the most amazing people in this industry. Having opportunities to pick their brains and work with them directly. Learning how to truly research and dig into a story and find elements that others wouldn't. See the process of producers as they take news stories and make them understandable and applicable to the entire public.

Very little oversight in my department. Other interns were either amazing or awful. It was fairly obvious who got here through connections vs. talent/hard work. While I personally don't think pay is required, there is frustration knowing that the interns working at NBC/ABC are getting paid for very similar work to what we are performing. Summer Interns at "60 Minutes" should get two- three weeks as a group in July to put together a 60 minutes style/quality piece. They would have enough time to put something together while still working on other topics/research etc...

Be overly friendly to everyone-spend less time getting to know the other interns right off the bat and more time getting to know the employees. Act like you would want an intern working for you to act. Don't wait for people to ask you to do things. Step up and figure out what can be done.

Advice to Management

Allow interns the opportunity to have crossover into other areas if they want it. Applying for one area at CBS was the hardest thing I have ever done and I feel like different areas might benefit different people more/less. That being said...keep up the fantastic program. It is well-organized, super educational and motivated me every day. Thank you.

Date: 2013

Extremely steep learning curve and you can decide how much and how fast you learn by how much you want to put into the internship.

I loved the environment of the department I was in. The culture was amazing and the people were extremely friendly and funny.

There wasn't that much to do at times.

That the people here are genuinely good people and want you to succeed.

A realistic look into Journalism

I got to get a wealth of knowledge and experience

I would have liked the opportunity to preview other departments.

Take advantage of all the time you have .

Advice to Management

Better compensation .

Date: 2013

CBS News, A leading internship in opportunity and experience!

- Weekly workshops with guest speakers. - Summer events coordinated by our internship coordinator - Making friends with fellow interns

- The lack of work in my department - The length (I wish it was a week longer) - The amount of interns

CBS News offers great opportunity and experience for up and coming students in all areas of the work place. It is your job to make yourself stand out and be noticed, for good reason, not bad ones.

Advice to Management

I would advise to not bring on so many interns (70). Seventy interns is a lot. If there were less interns, there would be more work and more opportunity for all of them to get to know each other.

Date: 2013

Interns learns valuable lessons about industry, what it takes

I really enjoyed earning bylines for video web write-ups on http://cbsthismorning.com. It was also incredibly beneficial to work with on social media and be put in the middle of all major interviews, stories, etc.

I don't think I can say I disliked any one aspect; overall, this has been a very informative, eye-opening, and valuable set of experiences for me. I will say it was a bit difficult to adjust to the 5:45am to 1:45pm schedule, but that was just a pretty fair trade-off for the rest of what this summer offered.

I would advise finding someone you can work closely with on a daily basis. It helps you make a connection in the office, and allows you to seek out additional opportunities at CBS News.

Advice to Management

n/a