CBS News Intern Program Internship

Intern at CBS News Intern Program Internship? Log in to Submit a Review

Get a taste of the departments at CBS News, work with other interns on a news-piece production, and help assist those in your department.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The group projects and getting an inside view on the different departments at CBS.

Not much to do in my department.

Be sure in your responsibilities.

Hands on With Endless Opportunities
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my internship was the hands on experience and seeing the value in the work I did. Also, the workshops that were hosted for the interns every week were an excellent way to personally know the employees of CBS and listen to their stories of how they got to where they are today. In addition, I enjoyed the group project of producing a package to be graded and viewed by several elites who work for CBS. Overall, I had the opportunity to really get a feel of what it is like to work for a major news station and was treated like more than an intern.

Nothing, besides having to commute four hours a day to and from New Jersey and New York, but that was my choice not to live in the city.

They truly want the interns to learn and be part of the work environment by taking advantages of all the resources at their disposal. The more questions you ask, they more you will learn.

Advice to Management

Pay their interns more

CBS expected your all and gave its all in return
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent opportunities to see meet other interns and see where your department fit in with the news division. I felt like I was a part of something and could see just how my work fit in with the organization's mission.

The experience was all very positive.

They're devoted to ensuring that the experience is a beneficial one to you, and that you're not simply a source of free labor.

NYC Internship Offers Cultural & Career Experience-- I gained useful career experience, connections and was able to enjoy life living in NY.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, receiving real-world experience doing what I love.

Sometimes there wasn't a lot to do, because there were so many interns.

You should be able to find work to do. This internship is reliant on finding things to do, because duties are not necessarily just given out.

Advice to Management

Maybe less interns per department, or outline of what interns should do during which time slots. More organization when it comes management of intern duties.

An inside look at a media powerhouse.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed the weekly speaker series, the kickball games, and the intern project. All this extra programming on top of my regular internship with my assigned department made the summer especially rewarding.

I wish we had been paid.

If you get this internship, try to meet as many people as you can here.

Learning the ins and outs of the news industry
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Respected speakers and workshops, great mentors, real world experience. G

Wish it had been paid.

Go in with a positive attitude and ready to work your hardest

CBS New Internship: Original Reporting, Real Experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

During my internship with CBS News, everyday was a learning experience. I was challenged on a daily basis and as a result I grew tremendously as a reporter and producer. Without a shadow of a doubt this internship has further solidified in my desire for a career in broadcasting.

Hours, lack of pay

Work hard, earn big. It is what you put into it. Following the structure of the program and doing what you are assigned WELL, will get you places but going the extra mile will make them remember you.

Exciting, engaging, educational internship at the best news network
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns were great, social life was wonderful, learned a lot.

If you were not a journalism student you were extremely excluded.

Valuable for journalism students.

Advice to Management

No compensation is hard in Manhattan, employee retention rate is SCARY. Over the summer a page was fired for what appeared to be the whim of his supervisor and then hired the next day by someone else in the corporation....

Different than I expected, but still a valuable experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture, getting to work in a building where so many inspirational people walk the halls, and really being taken seriously by coworkers- they let me work on assignments with them without hesitation.

The "marketing" department that I worked in was different from any other marketing position I've ever done; because of this, I think the skills I practiced in my internship were not as applicable to future jobs as I would have liked them to be

Ask a lot of questions- people at CBS are very helpful (at all levels) and really want to see you involved in the company. Likely, everyone there started as an intern or low-level employee, so they can relate to you easily.

Advice to Management

It is a very long and hard process for employees to "rise up" in the company; this isn't just for CBS, but the industry in general. I think, though, that being in an entry level job for 5+ years can be very frustrating to some people

Students thankful for CBS Summer Internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was getting to witness the production side of things. For example, the many steps that the producers and executive producers take to ensure that the show is a success.

The least favorite part about the internship was sometimes dealing with difficult people. Not everyone you meet while interning at CBS will be friendly or welcoming. Some people can be rude and show favoritism to other interns.

Make sure you do your research before applying for this internship.

Advice to Management

Try not to show favoritism to certain interns based off race, sex, and ethnicity.