CBS News Internship

Date: 2013

Priceless behind the scenes experience at one of the top-rated news programs in the country.

The internship program itself is fantastic. I got to hear people from all sides of the business speak, not just my department, and have learned an incredible amount in a short period of time. I definitely have a much better understanding of what it's like to work in the news and what would be expected of me in the future, particularly as I begin searching for a job in a few months. CBS is truly such an exciting place to work, and I was constantly inspired by everyone's journalistic integrity and their determination to get to where they are now and to get the most original stories possible.

Obviously July is a bit of a quiet month over at 60 Minutes. I couldn't have been happier to be at 60 Minutes because it is far and away my favorite news program on CBS, however I found it harder to make connections with everyone who works here (with the exception of a small number of people who I was reporting to throughout July) because the office was often empty.

CBS is a wonderful place to be employed. Everyone here demands a lot, but that is because the standards are high and this only makes you work harder to put forward your best self and your best work. I have heard often here that there is little sugarcoating around issues; if someone doesn't like something you worked on, they will tell you. That might not be the environment for everyone, but I have found that it leads to the high quality of journalism CBS is known for.

Advice to Management

I can't think of much the organization can do better regarding these issues- the stipend was unexpected and a nice surprise!

Date: 2013

This internship was very rewarding.

Welcoming people, interactive work

It was difficult to get work when there were more interns in our department than there was work for

Put your self out there and try and talk to people on a personal level

An Eye Opening Experience

The intern project was the best part of the program

My department was extremely slow in the summer- wasnt something that could be changed

Cbsnews is an exciting, competitive place to work

Date: 2013

Opportunity to observe medical broadcasting from a major network

Going on shoots and watching how news packages are made

A lot of down time

It's great for a resume but there will be a lot of down time. You will get to see how some of the best broadcasters work, but you need to take the initiative.

Date: 2013

The inside scoop of 60 Minutes, what makes your news tick.

Interacting with amazing mentors, being really involved in team discussions, having a voice, being encouraged to pitch original stories, having the opportunity to produce an original piece, various planned intern events/speaks, comaraderie, making an impact - not just doing clerical work.

In July most of 60 Minutes employees are away so it's a lot of solo work.

Definitely get involved and reach out to people. Everyone is very willing to help but they are also busy with their own projects. If you make it known that you are there and willing to help, they will be great mentors.

Advice to Management

Paid internship would be great, but the experience is worth it regardless.

Date: 2013

Experience broadcast journalism to the fullest

The best aspects are the intern events, the intern project, and getting hands-on experience alongside some of the best in the industry.

I disliked how quiet it was during July.

Work hard and offer help to everyone.

A realistic look into Journalism

I got to get a wealth of knowledge and experience

I would have liked the opportunity to preview other departments.

Take advantage of all the time you have .

Advice to Management

Better compensation .

Date: 2013

Extremely steep learning curve and you can decide how much and how fast you learn by how much you want to put into the internship.

I loved the environment of the department I was in. The culture was amazing and the people were extremely friendly and funny.

There wasn't that much to do at times.

That the people here are genuinely good people and want you to succeed.

Date: 2013

CBS News, A leading internship in opportunity and experience!

- Weekly workshops with guest speakers. - Summer events coordinated by our internship coordinator - Making friends with fellow interns

- The lack of work in my department - The length (I wish it was a week longer) - The amount of interns

CBS News offers great opportunity and experience for up and coming students in all areas of the work place. It is your job to make yourself stand out and be noticed, for good reason, not bad ones.

Advice to Management

I would advise to not bring on so many interns (70). Seventy interns is a lot. If there were less interns, there would be more work and more opportunity for all of them to get to know each other.

Date: 2013

There's no such thing as good writing, only good rewriting

Listening to all of the speakers, including Scott Pelley, David Rhodes, Jeff Fager, and Susan Zirinsky

Not being able to rotate to different departments

Plenty of hands-on experience and networking opportunities, and the intern project is an amazing opportunity to produce your own segment and work with interns and producers from various departments.

Advice to Management

Compensation for travel and meals would be appreciated