CBS News Intern Program

Priceless behind the scenes experience at one of the top-rated news programs in the country.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship program itself is fantastic. I got to hear people from all sides of the business speak, not just my department, and have learned an incredible amount in a short period of time. I definitely have a much better understanding of what it's like to work in the news and what would be expected of me in the future, particularly as I begin searching for a job in a few months. CBS is truly such an exciting place to work, and I was constantly inspired by everyone's journalistic integrity and their determination to get to where they are now and to get the most original stories possible.

Obviously July is a bit of a quiet month over at 60 Minutes. I couldn't have been happier to be at 60 Minutes because it is far and away my favorite news program on CBS, however I found it harder to make connections with everyone who works here (with the exception of a small number of people who I was reporting to throughout July) because the office was often empty.

CBS is a wonderful place to be employed. Everyone here demands a lot, but that is because the standards are high and this only makes you work harder to put forward your best self and your best work. I have heard often here that there is little sugarcoating around issues; if someone doesn't like something you worked on, they will tell you. That might not be the environment for everyone, but I have found that it leads to the high quality of journalism CBS is known for.

Advice to Management

I can't think of much the organization can do better regarding these issues- the stipend was unexpected and a nice surprise!

An internship so great that I wanted to wake up at 3:00 am to get to the office because everyone I worked with was so awesome.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Accessiblity to amazing resources and everyone at CBS was so willing to share advice and spend time talking to you.

I did not like all the logging and transcribing interviews. But it needs to be done.

They want people who can get the tasks done in a timely fashion and not screw them up - because they are simple tasks and they want to be able to rely on us to get stuff done and then they will continue giving you tasks.

Advice to Management

I think more socioeconomic diversity would be useful. Another opportunity to sit with the higher-ups, the senior producers, would have been good.

Intern Loves It
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting all the great people

Not paid by the hour

It's a great work environment

Interns See Cool Things.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

working with producers, learning from broadcast associates, cookies on Fridays.

commuting

Always be willing to help out with anything, nothing is beneath you.

An Eye Opening Experience
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intern project was the best part of the program

My department was extremely slow in the summer- wasnt something that could be changed

Cbsnews is an exciting, competitive place to work

This internship was very rewarding.

Welcoming people, interactive work

It was difficult to get work when there were more interns in our department than there was work for

Put your self out there and try and talk to people on a personal level

CBS News, A leading internship in opportunity and experience!
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Weekly workshops with guest speakers.

- Summer events coordinated by our internship coordinator

- Making friends with fellow interns

- The lack of work in my department

- The length (I wish it was a week longer)

- The amount of interns

CBS News offers great opportunity and experience for up and coming students in all areas of the work place. It is your job to make yourself stand out and be noticed, for good reason, not bad ones.

Advice to Management

I would advise to not bring on so many interns (70). Seventy interns is a lot. If there were less interns, there would be more work and more opportunity for all of them to get to know each other.

I learned what true journalism is.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded by the most amazing people in this industry. Having opportunities to pick their brains and work with them directly. Learning how to truly research and dig into a story and find elements that others wouldn't. See the process of producers as they take news stories and make them understandable and applicable to the entire public.

Very little oversight in my department. Other interns were either amazing or awful. It was fairly obvious who got here through connections vs. talent/hard work.

While I personally don't think pay is required, there is frustration knowing that the interns working at NBC/ABC are getting paid for very similar work to what we are performing.

Summer Interns at "60 Minutes" should get two- three weeks as a group in July to put together a 60 minutes style/quality piece. They would have enough time to put something together while still working on other topics/research etc...

Be overly friendly to everyone-spend less time getting to know the other interns right off the bat and more time getting to know the employees. Act like you would want an intern working for you to act. Don't wait for people to ask you to do things. Step up and figure out what can be done.

Advice to Management

Allow interns the opportunity to have crossover into other areas if they want it. Applying for one area at CBS was the hardest thing I have ever done and I feel like different areas might benefit different people more/less. That being said...keep up the fantastic program. It is well-organized, super educational and motivated me every day. Thank you.

Gaining real, hands-on experience with news publicity.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The willingness of the publicists to give me projects and things to do and to help them with. Being trusted to complete tasks on my own, even pitching a story to radio stations.

Most of the tasks were able to be completed during the first half of the day, so there was not much to do during the second half.

Be knowledgeable about the executive staff at CBS News (president, chairman, executive producers, talent). Be up-to-date with world and national news.

Extremely steep learning curve and you can decide how much and how fast you learn by how much you want to put into the internship.
New York, NY | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the environment of the department I was in. The culture was amazing and the people were extremely friendly and funny.

There wasn't that much to do at times.

That the people here are genuinely good people and want you to succeed.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)