Intern at CBS News Internship Program? Submit a Review

Long term research for important stories

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

working directly with producers and reporters on important stories that mattered and were watched by millions.

I did not get to see the final product of my work during my time as an intern.

It is exciting to see the behind the scenes efforts of how stories are put together.

Ever changing but always exciting

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people who work with me are amazing. Everyone is eager to help you if you ask for help. Everyone wants to show you what they do for their job, they include you if you want to be included. I was able to do this internship with little knowledge of the field. They give you a lot of independence with your job but they also shadow you to make sure you're doing it right.

Sometimes the pressure of getting things out, or making sure what your sending is right is intense, especially during breaking news stories. Your work ours can be very early and long.

Definitely consider it even if you're not a journalism major or have any experience with broadcasting. You will learn a lot.

Advice to Management

Paying us a little more. Living/commuting in new york city is expensive and we are all broke college students. The internship hours make it impossible to have a second job, if a parent isn't supporting you or you don't have a savings account this internship is not feasible.

Who is the anchor for evening news?

What time does 60 minutes air?

How do you handle deadlines?

Intern gets amazing chance to improve skills and learn from the best

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentorship, willingness to teach and opportunities to get feedback and improve my skills.

Little preparation of potential internship pitfalls or explanation of the culture.

You will be able to do more at this network internship than many will do at a local internship, if you are in Radio News. Ask for chances to display your skills and ways to help.

Newspath is the way to go! You actually get to learn and do stuff.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed getting to go on special events. For example, I got to go the NBA Draft media availability, I'm going to be able to go to the Democratic National Convention, and I had opportunities to film things for my personal reel. Also, getting to be able to speak with people who are in CBS and get their advice has helped a ton.

I honestly couldn't tell you. Only slow times have been because of things not happening.

As my time as a CBS intern, working side by side with people at CBS News, I learned how to do things at the most efficient level, also learned how to work under pressure.

Advice to Management

There is absolutely nothing. My experience has been amazing thus far.

What's your favorite TV show?

And general questions about CBS talent.

Getting your foot in the door working in the CBS News Department assisting in anyway you can.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the welcome-ness I felt coming into the program. The feeling of joining "a team" and the fact that for most days I was needed.

I felt that the Broadcast Associate I work directly under did not fully respect me as the internship reached the end. Everything I did was doubted. Everything I asked was "corrected". I know I'm an intern and this has nothing to do with the program itself but if the producers told me to do something, she would doubt they actually talked with me about it.

This is an amazing organization and you will grow exponentially working here

Advice to Management

Management for the intern program, nothing! This program is run by one of the nicest people in the building and I never once felt like things needed to change or things should have been different

Hands-on work at a network with kind people that value integrity

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone is shadow and get as involved as you can.

Lack of formal midterm review and lack of concrete, expected internship duties

Must be a self-starter and be willing to make connections outside the internship. No one will lead you by the hand and may not even give you regular tasks. You must find ways to help on your own, which is great, but can be daunting

Advice to Management

There should be formal reviews and feedback halfway through the internship.

Questions about CBS and it's correspondents; what was your favorite piece on X show; news quiz questions; why CBS

The greatest internship ever!

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I believe the intern events since they really got you to meet some of the big news in the network and hear their stories and give you advice. I also enjoyed the fact that everyone is so willing to help and speak to you.

Maybe that I did not get to go out and help with an interview. Or get the chance to get a little reel done with using either the Morning News or Evening News backdrop. Other than that I really enjoyed the program here.

The organization is really diverse and gives everyone the same opportunities to help them reach their goal.

Advice to Management

I really do not have much in mind.

What makes you an ideal candidate for this position? They really made me feel extremely comfortable throughout the interview process and that really made everything a whole lot easier.

Learned a lot and really enjoyed it, but not my dream job

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved who I worked with and enjoyed what I did and appreciated how much time they took to teach me

It just isn't what I see myself doing long term

This is a great place to work, especially if you want to do journalism

Structured, organized, fun and filled with opportunities for experience.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to work with talented producers and the wealth of knowledge they were able to provide

I can't really say there was anything I disliked about the program. I was stressed at times working on certain projects, but it was good stress.

Be ready to work hard but to also have a good time.

Who is the host of the evening news on CBS?

Do you like to learn a lot about a few topics or a little about a lot of topics?

Who is a public figure you respect.

Experiencing the Real Work word in an Internship

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I like that I was able to engage with so many different people during my internship. I was able to work with broadcast associates to the vice president of news gathering of CBS News. I also liked how my co-workers treated me as if I was truly a part of the team. I wasn't treated like I was younger, I was treated as if I was an actual CBS News employee.

My schedule could sometimes be a hassle. I did not like working the night shift because I was not able to do much during the day.

Please know about CBS News before you apply. That is very helpful.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing fine as far as management.

What current events do you know of?
What is the latest news you've heard from CBS News?