Intern at CBS News Internship Program? Submit a Review

Intern makes big impact at CBS

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people are really, really great. I also enjoyed working with a number of interns and helping producers.

Sometimes there's just not enough to do, I wish I was doing more at points and it can be tough working in such a huge place like CTM

I think it would be help if the person was very organized because a lot of the job is doing little things and having to keep up on them.

Advice to Management

I think it would be easier if there was a more helpful guide that I could look at to make sure I'm doing something right rather than have to just try and remember it. I like visual things.

Who hosts CBS This morning?
Who hosts CBS evening News?

A Real World Experience at CBS

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am able to meet people who have excelled in the broadcast journalism field. Everyone is nice and approachable. I am able to ask many questions and pick reporters' brain, asking for career advice.

I did not dislike anything.

You should ask a ton of questions and ask anyone if they need help. Ask what their life story is and how they got to this place.

Advice to Management

Nothing to recommend. Everything was run first class.

Who are the anchors of CBS This Morning?
What would people not expect of you when seeing you?

CBS News Turns College Students into Professional Journlists

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning how to apply my journalism studies into a hard news atmosphere.

I have no critiques about this internship.

Be on top of current events and stay unbiased.

Who hosts the CBS Evening News?

When does 60 Minutes air?

Who hosts CBS This Morning?

What is your journalism background?

Best Summer Experience Ever.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Making connections, learning more about the news industry, and learning what it takes to get a job in the news.

No complaints whatsoever.

Working in Newspath will give you the best overall experience in many areas.

Advice to Management

N/A

CBS News Internship Program Offers Students Hands-On Experience - AND Life-long Skills

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Friendly employees who want to help interns learn the job

-Accessibility to employees and on-air talent for informational interviews

-Weekly intern discussions with top CBS employees

-Organized activities for interns to interact

-Hands-on experience

-Unpredictable schedule (department specific)

CBS News cares about their interns and uses this program to gain potential employees. You will gain experience that you can use in your desired field, while also building connections with incredibly talented members of the TV news field.

Who is the anchor for CBS Evening News?

Who are the anchors for CBS This Morning?

Who is your favorite journalist?

Working alongside seasoned political journalists, welcomed intern is immersed in 2016 election coverage and research

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

+ Meeting my childhood favorite reporter!
+ Working with expensive camera equipment to create a story for evaluation by the company's executives (how cool)! Their time, insight and advice was invaluable
+ Lectures from talented journalists throughout the company who have varying roles/contribution toward news coverage
+ Observing the reporting process from internal email chains, in which great reporters like John ****, Nancy Cordes,, etc. participated

I experienced serious flaws in the pay system. My direct deposit didn't work until the penultimate week of the internship. While I ultimately got my paychecks, no one in HR returned my calls or emails. No intern received their compensation until a month into the program, which is a delay I've never seen working for any company. Fortunately, I had a scholarship to cover living in New York this summer, but if it were any other student, he/she might not have been able to make rent.

CBS News is an extremely ethical and diverse news organization! Never have I worked in such a professional environment with such motivated employees. This intern program is extremely organized, with lectures from CBS staff, fun outdoor events (like kickball), and very clear work expectations. My hours were never terribly crazy, and the corporation offered overtime!

Advice to Management

Definitely improve issues surrounding payroll and direct deposit, which was pretty frustrating. Also, I would recommend sending out the intern assignments all at once instead of sporadically, over about a week. This was disheartening to some, who perceived a delay in selection as an indication that they were unpopular among the departments.

- What are your interests in journalism?
- What is your involvement with journalism in school?
- What are your future goals?
- Who is your favorite reporter?
- What time does the Evening News air?
- Who hosts the Evening News?
- Who hosts CBS This Morning?
- Who hosts Sunday Morning?
- What times does 60 Minutes air?

Breaking into Breaking News

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

We were granted access to the highest production of journalism in the world. I was pleasantly surprised to see a camaraderie between employees throughout the building. Interns were treated as humans and it felt like most superiors recognized that the interns wanted to learn and were willing to assist with what they could.

It felt like some of the arrogant and more bossy interns were being rewarded by superiors for their "motivation," but we were all advised to not act like this.

CBS has an unique vibe that reflects its high level of journalism. However, there are improvements that can be made and CBS is slowly evolving. This is where interns can be very helpful to one of the oldest and more prestigious businesses in the journalism field.

Advice to Management

There is a level of nepotism that is evident even in the intern group. I do not think this is fair because it undercuts the hardworking interns who have worked so hard to just intern at CBS.

CBS News Internship Program

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The atmosphere, work environment, people, experiences, and opportunities given to me were so unique and awesome.

The hours were sometimes rough, especially the intern shift of 4am - 12pm. But it was something that I eventually got used to.

Make as many connections as possible, always ask if there is something you can do to help, remember everyone's names and positions within the company.

Advice to Management

Honestly not too much; I had such a great experience I didn't see too many things wrong. Maybe the only thing would be to hire less interns actually, since at CTM we seemed a bit overstaffed at times.

Name all of the anchors on 'x' show.

Who is your favorite journalist?

Who is the President of CBS News?

Great and eye opening to what it really takes to work in a network news company.

New York, NY | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

awesome people, great openness in office space, cool things to work with

not enough hands on opportunities, lots of down time

Be diligent with getting to know people that is truly how you grow in this industry

Advice to Management

Allow less hand holding and throw us into the fire more give us something to strive for and do so down time is wanted not hated

Why do you want to work for CBS?

New Perspectives

Office environment, mentorship

Project group dynamics

Take initiative, ask questions, reach out to as many people as you can.

Advice to Management

Better streamlining system of transitioning interested interns into news associates program, mid-summer program check-ins.

Who is the anchor of the CBS Evening News?
What time and day does CBS This Morning air?
Who are the current presidential candidates?