Liberty Mutual Internship Program

Liberty Mutual Building leaders of tomorrow
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The free coffee was a perk. Not only that i enjoyed the team meetings and meetings with the different managers. It was interesting to see the environment of the team meetings.

I disliked the boring days. There are days where you literally do nothing.

Always ask your supervisor for any thing to be done. The life of an intern is not that all exciting.

Rewarding.
Seattle, WA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everything was awesome except for what I wrote in "Cons" below.

Some work was slow and tedious, I didn't see my manager very much, I moved desks (i.e. away from the rest of my department) in the middle of my internship.

To do well as an Intern at Safeco/Liberty Mutual, you have to be motivated and willing to take charge of your work.

Advice to Management

Have more communication between intern and manager.

An Amazing Learning Experience!
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had great coworkers/managers that were always willing to answer my questions. I was given a lot of responsibility for being an intern and the work that I contributed actually mattered and helped the office. During Liberty's company wide community service event, "Serve with Liberty," I was able to get out of the office for the day and help out in the community. Similar to a new hire, full-time employee, I was given 1.5 days of paid time off per month.

I would have liked to have been trained more in-depth in the workers comp claims process. I also would have liked to shadow an underwriter in the office.

During this internship, I was treated as if I was a full-time employee. I was given similar responsibilites, as well as paid time off.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I was not provided with the full two weeks of training that a normal new hire experiences. I am sure that if I was given two weeks to learn more about the claims process, I would have been more prepared to handle claims.

Summer of Learning
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Get to know the business very well, extremely flexible and nice manager, working from home is a possibility on occassion

Overwheming amount of information at first (drinking from a firehose)

As an intern, 1 and a half days off per month is amazing, take advantage. And talk to your manager about anything and everything- that is what they are there for.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Compensation for IT positions is wonderful, the people are great, the work is challenging, and over all the internship has been an extremely pleasant experience. I think allowing interns to work from home more would be great. At least for me, I tend to work better sitting on a couch than in a cubicle.

Should we insure/ continue to insure this company??
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with. Made it very enjoyable everyday.

Need more involvement with UW's.

Great money, not long hours, overall great job for anyone interested in business. Great way to learn alot about an insurance company as well.

Tax isn't as boring as it seems!
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

being treated like a real employee

Working 40 hours a week!

LM is a great place to intern--you are treated as an employee, not an intern

Required hard work and self-motivation to be successful. Prepared me extremely well for future jobs.
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Enjoyed the amount of responsibility given to me. They trusted me with important work and treated me with respect. I really felt like my company wanted to me to succeed.

I often worked overtime hours and had numerous people assigning me projects at the same time.

Would highly recommend this internship to anyone who can handle a tough workload and communicates well with others. Requires a lot of self discipline and ability to adapt to change quickly. Only apply if you are serious about working for an insurance company.

Advice to Management

Specifically for the internship program, the first week should be a little more structured on what the intern should be accomplishing for the week. Be clear about who the intern should report to and who is assigning the projects.

Positive learning experience that has helped me develop several skills and gives me the opportunity to continue to grow as a future employee
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The amount of responsibility and work interns were given

-The work environment and work/life balance

-How much full-time employees help interns

-Didn't have the opportunity to work on projects with other interns

It isn't necessary to be that knowledgable about insurance going into the internship, but at the beginning the amount of information will be slightly overwhelming. Don't let this discourage you becuase you will pick up on the insurance industry very quickly with the amount of help that is provided.

Learning the Insurance Business
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

flexibility, learning a new field

having to work 40 hours a week, but you'll get that everywhere

If you know you want to do insurance then this is a great job.

A Great Way to Find an Awesome Job
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that I am able to interact with fellow employees and that the company makes an effort to make you feel like you are an important member to the firm.

The commute and location of the office.

Liberty Mutual does a great job to make the employment process feel comfortable. Do not be afraid to apply to a position you may feel underqualified. Liverty will accomodate or suggest another opportunity for you.

Advice to Management

Training sessions can be a little dull. The departments and HR can maybe communicate with each other better to have a clearer outline of what the internship is suppose to be like.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)