Liberty Mutual Internship Program

Date: 2013

An Amazing Learning Experience!

I had great coworkers/managers that were always willing to answer my questions. I was given a lot of responsibility for being an intern and the work that I contributed actually mattered and helped the office. During Liberty's company wide community service event, "Serve with Liberty," I was able to get out of the office for the day and help out in the community. Similar to a new hire, full-time employee, I was given 1.5 days of paid time off per month.

I would have liked to have been trained more in-depth in the workers comp claims process. I also would have liked to shadow an underwriter in the office.

During this internship, I was treated as if I was a full-time employee. I was given similar responsibilites, as well as paid time off.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I was not provided with the full two weeks of training that a normal new hire experiences. I am sure that if I was given two weeks to learn more about the claims process, I would have been more prepared to handle claims.

Date: 2013

Quality real life experience.

You will receive real life training, also they plan to develop you as a key memeber of their employees.

I wish I would have seen more agency visits.

Make sure you stay proactive and engaged once you enter the program. You won't regret it.

Date: 2013

Should we insure/ continue to insure this company??

The people I worked with. Made it very enjoyable everyday.

Need more involvement with UW's.

Great money, not long hours, overall great job for anyone interested in business. Great way to learn alot about an insurance company as well.

Date: 2013

Tax isn't as boring as it seems!

being treated like a real employee

Working 40 hours a week!

LM is a great place to intern--you are treated as an employee, not an intern

Liberty Mutual Building leaders of tomorrow

The free coffee was a perk. Not only that i enjoyed the team meetings and meetings with the different managers. It was interesting to see the environment of the team meetings.

I disliked the boring days. There are days where you literally do nothing.

Always ask your supervisor for any thing to be done. The life of an intern is not that all exciting.

Date: 2013

Positive learning experience that has helped me develop several skills and gives me the opportunity to continue to grow as a future employee

-The amount of responsibility and work interns were given -The work environment and work/life balance -How much full-time employees help interns

-Didn't have the opportunity to work on projects with other interns

It isn't necessary to be that knowledgable about insurance going into the internship, but at the beginning the amount of information will be slightly overwhelming. Don't let this discourage you becuase you will pick up on the insurance industry very quickly with the amount of help that is provided.

Lots of learning.

I learned about the business, the modeling process, and improved my Excel, Access, SQL, and SAS proficiency. I also got training sessions on actuarial topics.

Some of the tasks are tedious.

They seem to have a good rotation program. They give study time, but definitely expect that you pass exams. Relaxed office. Nice people. They hire a lot of their interns.

Advice to Management

Can't think of any.

Date: 2013

Great insurance internship that allows you to learn about different departments within insurance.

Job shadowing, trip to home office to meet executives, and various projects assigned.

Studying for the commercial insurance exam can get boring at times.

Great company to work for with many great, helpful people.

Not Your Typical Internship

I had the opportunity to work in business environment and was given many tasks to keep myself busy. I learned a lot about insurance and never had to make copies or get coffee like you would expect in an internship. I felt like they treated me like a real employee.

After the first week or two there was minimal guidance and I felt like my manager and mentor were too busy to fully address all of my questions or concerns. I also wish there was another intern in the office.

You must have the ability to work independently.

Advice to Management

I wish there was better training in claims for interns. I had shadowed a claims adjuster and read through claims during my audit, but once I had been given a claim there was minimal instruction on how to handle it.

Date: 2013

Required hard work and self-motivation to be successful. Prepared me extremely well for future jobs.

Enjoyed the amount of responsibility given to me. They trusted me with important work and treated me with respect. I really felt like my company wanted to me to succeed.

I often worked overtime hours and had numerous people assigning me projects at the same time.

Would highly recommend this internship to anyone who can handle a tough workload and communicates well with others. Requires a lot of self discipline and ability to adapt to change quickly. Only apply if you are serious about working for an insurance company.

Advice to Management

Specifically for the internship program, the first week should be a little more structured on what the intern should be accomplishing for the week. Be clear about who the intern should report to and who is assigning the projects.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)