Liberty Mutual Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #32 Best Overall Internships

Intern learns Sales Skills and Technique.
Nashville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were phenomanal and I loved coming to work each day. In addition I learned invaluable sales techniques and grew comfortable with rejection.

The internship was alot of work and at times repetive, as many jobs can be.

Take it seriously as a job and future career. If you do this you will do well and it will likely lead to a fufilling oppurtunity.

What drives you?

Are you comfortable engaging and meeting new people?

What sales experience have you had?

Advice to Management

Encourage interns to help build their sales reps sources and give them a small budget to do so.

Real, challenging work preparing you for a full-time role with Liberty Mutual.
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work with a team, and working on "real" projects where you could see the outcome and how they helped the company.

Workload was sporadic, and and it is a large program so you don't always receive 1 on 1 attention.

If you like analytical work then this would be a good opportunity.

Advice to Management

In general they were very good, but some of the intern activities seemed forced and did not add much to the overall internship experience.

An insight into the insurance industry
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Large exposure to difference parts of the insurance industry

Fairly repetitive and can get boring at times

It is a strong company with a large potential for full time employment

Great place to jumpstart your career
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Practical experience, mentorship program, job prospects

No formal one-on-one meeting with my manager

When evaluating a potential internship site, don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions during your interview process. Especially ask questions about what specific tasks you will be doing.

Advice to Management

The organization should attempt to update the application system we use to do work, it seems a little out of date and somewhat inefficient.

Getting to Know the Corporate Environment, It's Not Bad At All
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking Opportunities, Self-Guided Training & Available Resources, Comfortable Work-Environment & Friendly People

Assigned work did not relate enough to my technical skills. Wanted more coding projects and less documentation work.

Do a lot of research on the employer and the organization's reputation. Ask for a sample calendar/schedule of what type of work or technologies you will be working with during the course of your internship. Evaluate your location from home carefully. Commuting over two hours a day to work and back home is extremely exhausting. Just find an apartment close-by.

What technical skills do you have? Any web-development skills (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, MySQL, etc.)

Give me an example of a time you had to work with someone you didn't like. What did you do to overcome the conflict?

What was the greatest challenge/most complicated problem you've had to overcome? How did you overcome it?

Advice to Management

More time dedicated to training opportunities and learning new technical skills, beyond every day work.

Hands on Tech internship with Liberty Mutual
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work on real projects in addition to the training programs offered.

The location in Dover, NH.

The programming training is definitely worth the poor location of the internship (if in NH). The people are very friendly and don't expect you to know everything, but are willing to teach.

"Tell me about a time where you couldn't complete an assignment by its deadline? How did you handle it? "

Advice to Management

Perhaps include some in-office benefits such as a gym membership.

Great People working hard
Charlotte, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed the people the most.

I also enjoyed managment in our office

The location for me is not on the top of my list.

Learn as much about insurance befor you arrive to jumpstart your progress

Name a time when you had to give bad news.

Name a time that you had to prvide leadership in a complicted situation.

An internship that gave me a great overview of the insurance industry and the role of a commercial underwriter
Lexington, KY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good pay, good people to work with, a lot of structure and training

Sometimes not enough work, was bored at work occasionally

LM has opportunities everywhere in many different fields and is very competitive with wage and benifits

Warmly welcomed by Liberty in the claims department
Portland, OR | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were the best part, but I also appreciated the opportunity to do meaningful work, increase my knowledge, receive training for a particular job, and get to travel to Boston to meet other interns and learn more about the company

The commute was quite long, and their weren't many other interns, but those were both products of my location. I also wish I learned more about other opportunities in different departments. Travelling to Boston helped me get a better sense of other job opportunities, but positions for other departments were filled by that point, and most required a 2 year commitment anyway. Also, it was stressful dealing with so much work and not super fun to set up payments.

If you like a structured internship and would like to explore a particular field that Liberty has to offer, I would definitely recommend interning here.

Advice to Management

I think Liberty needs to provide more opportunities for full-time employees to make lateral moves and explore other areas of the company. They should also be nice to the workers' comp claims adjusters, because they work very hard and put in far over 40 hours a week.

What a great learning experience.
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentor program, hands-on experience, treated like a full-time employee.

The project that I worked on didn't allow me to feel like a made any impact in the company.

You must be able to communicate effectively because you will be talking to internal and external partners as well as policyholders.