Liberty Mutual Internship Program

Date: 2013

An Amazing Learning Experience!

I had great coworkers/managers that were always willing to answer my questions. I was given a lot of responsibility for being an intern and the work that I contributed actually mattered and helped the office. During Liberty's company wide community service event, "Serve with Liberty," I was able to get out of the office for the day and help out in the community. Similar to a new hire, full-time employee, I was given 1.5 days of paid time off per month.

I would have liked to have been trained more in-depth in the workers comp claims process. I also would have liked to shadow an underwriter in the office.

During this internship, I was treated as if I was a full-time employee. I was given similar responsibilites, as well as paid time off.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I was not provided with the full two weeks of training that a normal new hire experiences. I am sure that if I was given two weeks to learn more about the claims process, I would have been more prepared to handle claims.

Corporate Accounting Internship

I am able to assist the team with monthly reports and reconciliations, as well as improving processes within the group

Since my group is always busy, they don't always have time to give me/explain to me assignments

This internship is a great opportunity if you want to be part of a team with hands on tasks that teach about the company

Advice to Management

I think it is important that the interns are able to sit with their team, it's easier to ask questions and get to know them. Also, for the departments to have scheduled projects and tasks for the interns.

Date: 2013

Should we insure/ continue to insure this company??

The people I worked with. Made it very enjoyable everyday.

Need more involvement with UW's.

Great money, not long hours, overall great job for anyone interested in business. Great way to learn alot about an insurance company as well.

Date: 2013

Tax isn't as boring as it seems!

being treated like a real employee

Working 40 hours a week!

LM is a great place to intern--you are treated as an employee, not an intern

Date: 2013

Quality real life experience.

You will receive real life training, also they plan to develop you as a key memeber of their employees.

I wish I would have seen more agency visits.

Make sure you stay proactive and engaged once you enter the program. You won't regret it.

Liberty Mutual Building leaders of tomorrow

The free coffee was a perk. Not only that i enjoyed the team meetings and meetings with the different managers. It was interesting to see the environment of the team meetings.

I disliked the boring days. There are days where you literally do nothing.

Always ask your supervisor for any thing to be done. The life of an intern is not that all exciting.

Date: 2013

Positive learning experience that has helped me develop several skills and gives me the opportunity to continue to grow as a future employee

-The amount of responsibility and work interns were given -The work environment and work/life balance -How much full-time employees help interns

-Didn't have the opportunity to work on projects with other interns

It isn't necessary to be that knowledgable about insurance going into the internship, but at the beginning the amount of information will be slightly overwhelming. Don't let this discourage you becuase you will pick up on the insurance industry very quickly with the amount of help that is provided.

Date: 2013

Required hard work and self-motivation to be successful. Prepared me extremely well for future jobs.

Enjoyed the amount of responsibility given to me. They trusted me with important work and treated me with respect. I really felt like my company wanted to me to succeed.

I often worked overtime hours and had numerous people assigning me projects at the same time.

Would highly recommend this internship to anyone who can handle a tough workload and communicates well with others. Requires a lot of self discipline and ability to adapt to change quickly. Only apply if you are serious about working for an insurance company.

Advice to Management

Specifically for the internship program, the first week should be a little more structured on what the intern should be accomplishing for the week. Be clear about who the intern should report to and who is assigning the projects.

Learning the Insurance Business

flexibility, learning a new field

having to work 40 hours a week, but you'll get that everywhere

If you know you want to do insurance then this is a great job.

Date: 2013

6 months of hard work and learning experiences.

The pay is good for an internship, schedule flexibility, and mentorship program.

Cold Calling

Liberty Mutual is a company that specialize in customer service. If you are interested in pursuing a sales job at Liberty, you need to have good communication skills because most of the time, you are going to be on the phone with clients. You need to be a people's person and willing to go an extra mile. The company is very flexible in regards to time off, as long as you are meeting your goals.

Advice to Management

I think that the organization is doing a good job on providing resources for development. However, sometimes is confused who do you need to approach to for help.