Intern at Liberty Mutual Internship Program? Submit a Review

Hands on Tech internship with Liberty Mutual

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work on real projects in addition to the training programs offered.

The location in Dover, NH.

The programming training is definitely worth the poor location of the internship (if in NH). The people are very friendly and don't expect you to know everything, but are willing to teach.

"Tell me about a time where you couldn't complete an assignment by its deadline? How did you handle it? "

Advice to Management

Perhaps include some in-office benefits such as a gym membership.

Great people

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect is the culture of the company and the opportunities they have.

It's a very large company, so it can be difficult to navigate at times.

I can't speak to the other programs, but the actuarial program is fantastic. They have a great student rotational program and plenty of opportunities available to actuaries afterwards.

What is your biggest weakness.

Describe a time you overcame a challenge.

Intern learns Sales Skills and Technique.

Nashville, TN | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were phenomanal and I loved coming to work each day. In addition I learned invaluable sales techniques and grew comfortable with rejection.

The internship was alot of work and at times repetive, as many jobs can be.

Take it seriously as a job and future career. If you do this you will do well and it will likely lead to a fufilling oppurtunity.

What drives you?

Are you comfortable engaging and meeting new people?

What sales experience have you had?

Advice to Management

Encourage interns to help build their sales reps sources and give them a small budget to do so.

Getting to Know the Corporate Environment, It's Not Bad At All

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking Opportunities, Self-Guided Training & Available Resources, Comfortable Work-Environment & Friendly People

Assigned work did not relate enough to my technical skills. Wanted more coding projects and less documentation work.

Do a lot of research on the employer and the organization's reputation. Ask for a sample calendar/schedule of what type of work or technologies you will be working with during the course of your internship. Evaluate your location from home carefully. Commuting over two hours a day to work and back home is extremely exhausting. Just find an apartment close-by.

What technical skills do you have? Any web-development skills (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, MySQL, etc.)

Give me an example of a time you had to work with someone you didn't like. What did you do to overcome the conflict?

What was the greatest challenge/most complicated problem you've had to overcome? How did you overcome it?

Advice to Management

More time dedicated to training opportunities and learning new technical skills, beyond every day work.

An insight into the insurance industry

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Large exposure to difference parts of the insurance industry

Fairly repetitive and can get boring at times

It is a strong company with a large potential for full time employment

Good experience, good company

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meaningful work, competitive pay.

Sometimes too easy/boring.

Don't be afraid to try interning in a department you aren't familiar with.

Real, challenging work preparing you for a full-time role with Liberty Mutual.

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work with a team, and working on "real" projects where you could see the outcome and how they helped the company.

Workload was sporadic, and and it is a large program so you don't always receive 1 on 1 attention.

If you like analytical work then this would be a good opportunity.

Advice to Management

In general they were very good, but some of the intern activities seemed forced and did not add much to the overall internship experience.

Great summer experience

-Office setting

-Work Duty

-Great Manager

-slow at times

Be willing to learn and think about the way in which a process can be made simpler.

What does an Actuary do?

New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on projects with different coworkers exposed me to more of my team's responsibilities and gave me a more detailed understanding of an Actuary's role in an Insurance company, and specifically at LM.

I would have benefited from more structure, especially in the first weeks.

LM is the place I wanted to be to start my actuarial career. There are many many oppostunities to grow professionally and there is so much support along the way. I am confident that at LM I will be successful in exam process and will continue to advance my career.

Intense learning is cause for changing information consolidation and retention strategies

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Educational programming. Intern comradery. Engagement.

Integration methods for late-start internship

I highly recommend Liberty Mutual Insurance Group for candidates. The structure of the internal full-time job rotation program is highly conducive to discovering the right career for you. If you find that your current line of work is personally undesireable for a long-term career, there are ample oportunities to explore in diverse lines of business as well as diverse business operations.

Liberty is seemingly focused on attracting raw broadly talented and intelligent individuals as opposed to highly specialized personel. They then seem highly focused on employee development and providing a multitude of diverse opportunities to grow.

What are some fundamental similarities/differences between insurance and other products consumers purchase?