Liberty Mutual Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #32 Best Overall Internships

Interesting Project but a lack of Resources
Spokane, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the hours and the people. My project was meaningful.

I did not have a mentor and my manager was rarely available to help me

They are a good employer, but if you are a person who likes to make changes/ improve your work place, it is difficult.

When does customer service mean to you?

Advice to Management

I think that having managers who have more time to help their employees would make the job much better. Managers are constantly in training rather than helping their employees with claims.

Full of busy work, but valuable experience in workplace and professional culture.
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were working with a team and getting exposure to the real world.

What I liked least was the lack of work when my manager was too busy to come up with something for me to do.

It has potential to be a good internship. It is just unfortunate because the managers of various interns seem to have varied levels of preparedness.

Tell me a time, when you needed team work? Name a time when you overcame adversity.

Advice to Management

More training with the managers with interns to prepare them for the commitment that having an intern for three months is.

The Average Internship
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The collegues, office environment, compensation and ability for work life balance

too easy. The work helped the department but it's not something you have to go to college to learn how to do.

Be prepared to do intern work but the office is great

Overall Good Experience, But Be Prepared for Phases of Inactivity
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1) Experiencing working in a business office setting,

2) Learning about Statutory Accounting Principles (which had not yet been learned at school),

3) Working for GAAP to make financial statements (ex. cash flow statement)

4) Participating in preparation of quarterly statements

1) Frequent periods of inactivity due to little work available

2) Although periods of inactivity are somewhat predictable, they are more frequent than periods of activity

3) Resources/team members not always available to learn more about SAP which could have been helpful in preparing quarterly statements

Depending on under which manager you're working, you will be either under the Stat (SAP) side or the GAAP side of accounting. As an intern/co-op, be prepared to do work for both sides and keep an open mind for learning about Stat especially if you haven't learned about it in school. Also be prepared for periods of not having any work; maybe it's because I'm in a temporary position, but there are many times when I have absolutely no work.

1) What was a time when there were adverse factors and what did you do?

Advice to Management

Ideally, I would have liked some training on SAP; while preparing quarterly statements, I had a lot of questions and was usually stuck during preparation with little to no answers/progress because everyone else was busy with their own quarterly statements. I think basic training on SAP may have mitigated that roadblock.

Internship

Learning new stuff

It's not a full-time job

Good employer

Putting the human in Human Resources
Boston, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Friendship with interns, University Relations, departments, managers
-Freedom to be creative in my work
-Overall atmosphere/culture

-Manager didn't give me enough work and I had to find my own (which was fine)

Think of the internship as a long interview process. I mean it.

Advice to Management

It's better to have a long list of project you want the interns to work on, then just a few items. Don't underestimate what your intern can do!

National Program Management Intern
Boston, MA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence and trust from my manager. Real life experience. Challenege. I really enjoyed that I was given a real project that manager hadn't solved and I got to run it myself. I had a unique opportunity to meet with so many departments and see the results of my project. I also was given mini projects from others in my department. My favorite part by far was the National Program Maangement Department. They all were excited to have me learn and willing to teach me.

I interned my sophomore year summer and I would've liked to have a set offer from them before I went back to school. I was recruiting in the fall and my offers all expired before I could start interviewing with Liberty. So unforunately, I had to go with my other offers.

From my persepctive every internship with the comapny varies so much. I had an amazing experience and I was always busy. I had friends at other locations who had otherwise. But the biggest thing is how once you are in with the company you are in for a good. My mom works for the company and my dad and brother are in the same industry. The job strength in the industry is really good, and I think that is something that is really important when looking for an internship.

Advice to Management

I think they could do a better job of retaining interns. At my interview they said something like 80% come back as fulltime. I do not see how this is possible though because the only people who left with offers were 4 people out of 25 in the HR division. This was huge factor for why I did not particularly want to come back for another internship in the summer because I want to work somewhere in the summer where I can feel confident that if I do my job and like it I'll get an offer. Almost all my other business friends from school will recieve offers at the end of the summer and don't have to re go through recruting. I still had an amazing experience and it made it difficult because the developmet programs are attractive, it's just that those were the only offers given.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)