Intern at Liberty Mutual Internship Program? Submit a Review

Interesting Project but a lack of Resources

Spokane, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the hours and the people. My project was meaningful.

I did not have a mentor and my manager was rarely available to help me

They are a good employer, but if you are a person who likes to make changes/ improve your work place, it is difficult.

When does customer service mean to you?

Advice to Management

I think that having managers who have more time to help their employees would make the job much better. Managers are constantly in training rather than helping their employees with claims.

Full of busy work, but valuable experience in workplace and professional culture.

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were working with a team and getting exposure to the real world.

What I liked least was the lack of work when my manager was too busy to come up with something for me to do.

It has potential to be a good internship. It is just unfortunate because the managers of various interns seem to have varied levels of preparedness.

Tell me a time, when you needed team work? Name a time when you overcame adversity.

Advice to Management

More training with the managers with interns to prepare them for the commitment that having an intern for three months is.

The Average Internship

Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The collegues, office environment, compensation and ability for work life balance

too easy. The work helped the department but it's not something you have to go to college to learn how to do.

Be prepared to do intern work but the office is great

Internship

Learning new stuff

It's not a full-time job

Good employer

Overall Good Experience, But Be Prepared for Phases of Inactivity

Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1) Experiencing working in a business office setting,

2) Learning about Statutory Accounting Principles (which had not yet been learned at school),

3) Working for GAAP to make financial statements (ex. cash flow statement)

4) Participating in preparation of quarterly statements

1) Frequent periods of inactivity due to little work available

2) Although periods of inactivity are somewhat predictable, they are more frequent than periods of activity

3) Resources/team members not always available to learn more about SAP which could have been helpful in preparing quarterly statements

Depending on under which manager you're working, you will be either under the Stat (SAP) side or the GAAP side of accounting. As an intern/co-op, be prepared to do work for both sides and keep an open mind for learning about Stat especially if you haven't learned about it in school. Also be prepared for periods of not having any work; maybe it's because I'm in a temporary position, but there are many times when I have absolutely no work.

1) What was a time when there were adverse factors and what did you do?

Advice to Management

Ideally, I would have liked some training on SAP; while preparing quarterly statements, I had a lot of questions and was usually stuck during preparation with little to no answers/progress because everyone else was busy with their own quarterly statements. I think basic training on SAP may have mitigated that roadblock.

A great working environment with a lack of real work

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The management and employees were excellent to work with, the surrounding area had a lot of things to do, and the pay was very competitive for an internship.

There seemed to be a lot of confusion as to where I fit in and it showed in the amount of down time I had over the course of the internship. The work that I did have a chance to do was only occasionally challenging and mostly boring.

Liberty Mutual is an excellent company to get your foot in the door. The work-life balance seems great (as long as you aren't in an on-call position) and individuals here can't say enough about the amount of mobility there is within Liberty. Hopefully my experience won't be yours.

Advice to Management

Put interns on meaningful assignments that are challenging and relevant.

Work enjoyed more than expected, but ultimately disappointing experience.

Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the work more than expected, and was able to make a contribution through valuable and real projects.

I did not like the data/analytics projects I was given, and the fact that I was misled to believe a full time offer was a given if my performance exceeded expectations.

Insurance can actually be interesting, but the statistics about the full-time placement rate are incredibly misleading.

Advice to Management

Recognize the importance of Marketing and acknowledge the potential value in adding entry-level positions in this field.

Great perks but a lot of busy work

Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to see how a large corporate company operate.

The culture is too formal for me. Business professional dress and the approval process is slow and hierarchical. It is hard to get anything done here.

Get ready for a real corporate job.

Advice to Management

The culture needs to let up and the technology needs to be updated.

Data Management Analysis and data manipulation.

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning, software acclimation, DB queries.

Learning curve, acronyms, lack of functionality, lack of learning resources, lack of efficiency, lack of organization

Ask questions of your mentor, don't be afraid to tell them "I don't know".

Advice to Management

Provide a program for new hires/interns that helps to acclimate them to their teams, OR make sure that documentation is consistent across platforms/teams.

Intern for Data Management in Commercial Insurance

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work with the databases

Having varied amounts of work per day

First couple weeks review inter company workings, then after that start working.