Intern at Liberty Mutual Insurance Internship Program? Submit a Review

Pay is not necessarily indicative of the amount of work you have

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people are very nice and welcoming. They're very helpful when I have needed assistance. There are many opportunities at Liberty, but you must seek them out for yourself.

I found that I did not have enough work to do throughout my internship. My team is very busy and I have found that the expectation is that someone else is giving me work to do. I was hoping to own more work than I have so far. Not all interns here in my office have had this same experience; it is all dependent on your team and management.

Liberty as a company seems like a great place to work and I have enjoyed my time within the company. The one downfall was that I hoped and expected to be more involved in the projects and work that my team was working on. I spent a lot of time sitting through meetings where I was not sure what was going on and my team has been very busy that they do not have the time to catch me up on what is going on and get me involved. I have had some work to do, which has been productive, but I have not felt as though I have been contributing as much value as I would like.

Slow Start, but Communication is Key

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team that I work with. The people are really great. They are welcoming, funny, and laid back. I feel comfortable talking to each of them to ask questions about my work, or about the company, or even to just chat and get to know them better.

It took a few weeks before I got work that seemed valuable to them and to me. Everyone is pretty busy so sometimes it can be hard to get a chance to talk to those who have been here longer because they are often in calls or working on assignments. I think the relocation money should be more considering the cost of living in Boston is high.

I think it really depends on what you want to do. I was technically put into IT, but I personally feel that the type of work I want to do and study in school isn't really IT, but I also understand why I was placed in IT as their team is newer and works very closely with developers. If you are not happy with the work or other aspects, the recruiters and employers are open to hear your opinions. You have to be willing to communicate with them about the problems. Liberty Mutual is really big, so I do think it can be a hit or miss with getting a good team/manager. They are pretty flexible with working times though, but again, it depends on your manager.

Advice to Management

I wish they had a stronger intern program. I would have liked more opportunities to get together with my fellow interns both socially and through learning experiences/events. I know some groups do lunch and learns and I heard a past intern had a bowling event at a different office, so events like these would have been great.

More relocation allowance.

More guidance/mentorship in the internship.

Describing a teamwork situation.

A time where a project had failed or how you knew it succeeded.

Liberty Mutual continues to expand internship program

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

There were many trainings so that the interns could learn further about the insurance.

I felt that this internship relied heavily on interactions with managers. If an intern was not matched well with a manager, that very much affected the experience.

Take any opportunity to learn or network.

Intern works on management project to aid in the new security initiative.

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship were being able to visit other offices, work on projects, being in this facility, and networking with people/ meeting other interns.

I did not like when I had nothing to do, I tried to get work but still I had nothing. I wish that there would have been somebody giving me more feedback on what I was doing. Also, when I first came here I wasn't welcomed by other interns. Now that I have been here I am welcomed, but at first it was a struggle. I wish that my work was more intriguing to me.

My advice to other interns is, to make the best of the situation you are given. Don't let anybody bring you down, and display your best qualities to everybody. Network with people, and follow up. Be prepared and early for every meeting. Treat everybody like you would like to be treated. Make sure you explore everything your work has to offer, and question things.

Advice to Management

Check in with your interns more, have safe meetings so that they can express their true feelings. Make sure that when your intern asks for work, give them something to do. Meet with them more often, and make an effort to get to know them. They can give you as much help as you can them.

Behavioral based questions and to elaborate on answers given.

Not enough to do

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

the work that i am able to do is real and matters

not enough to do

absent manager

ask alot of questions and get involved

Advice to Management

encourage a more collaborative workplace

I would have a much different attitude and enjoyed my experience more if I had a different manager

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Liberty is a great company truly focused on their employees. I had some really great people in my team.

Everything is so structured it is often difficult to do your work on your own and need many other groups to help because each role is extremely specialized. I was not introduced to anybody by my manager except my team of 6. I was placed in a full accounting internship with journal entries and debits/credits, and I am a finance major that could have fit better with another department within Treasury. My manager never had an intern and did not know what to do or what work to give me, so often I did not do anything.

Focused on employees, ask questions and make sure the position is the right fit. Liberty is very open to changes within once you work. They also offer many rotational programs to help you figure out what you want to do.

Advice to Management

Managers and others seem to have copious amounts of (unnecessary) meetings

A recent challenge you were faced with. Two things that a critical to success.

How to Learn About What You Want in Ten Weeks

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to get exposure to systems like excel and learn what it is like to work in a corporate setting. I also learned how broad the word "business" is and that knowing particular industries, such as insurance, within the business world will be helpful in finding a job I will actually enjoy. Moreover, I enjoyed all of the speaker series and networking opportunities that the recruiters set up for us. Those were honestly what kept me going the most. And most importantly, the best thing I did here I believe was talk to the externs who are potential interns for next summer. Being able to talk to rising juniors about their experience and alleviate any fears they have is what made me realize that whatever career path I choose should and most likely will involve some sort of counseling role.

What I liked least about my internship was that I was not really doing any work that I thoroughly enjoyed. I did not always feel supported and that affected how I felt overall about the internship. Having someone help me identify the skills I already have and can put to good use in my work (even though everything was new and challenging) would have made me feel a bit better about the internship.

Make sure you know enough about the company to know that there is room for you to do work that involves your passions. For example, I spoke with an intern who is working as a recruiter for a department he does not know or care much about. However, he loves his role as a recruiter. No internship is going to be perfect, but being able to work utilizing your passion will go a long way and overall boost your morale during the course of your internship.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is to make sure to do more frequent checks with how an intern is feeling as a whole not just about their work. Interns generally will not perform well if they are not comfortable in their environment or if they are feeling like the work they are doing is not right for them. I think giving feedback on both an interns weaknesses AND strengths will be most helpful to their development. I also do think some diversity and inclusion training will be helpful. Often times I felt very misunderstood so I think a bit more exposure to learning about different people and different ways that people work will benefit the organization.

I do not remember very well but I know there were questions about my background and my interests, I was also asked to talk about a time where I had an issue and needed to solve it. (Sorry if this was not helpful, the interview process was over a year ago).

Relaxed environment, great training, non-communative management

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training courses and variety of projects.

Sometimes interns do not have enough work, and management can lack communication

Make sure to regularly ask your manager if there are areas where you can improve, even if you have asked many times before; it is better to be a little annoying then not to know how you are doing.

Advice to Management

Be very clear and consistent when addressing issues. Create better environment for down the road plans for potential entry level employees (chances to switch to areas like investments or pre-MBA positions after the program).

If we receive 15000 auto policies a year, and Liberty gets 7.5% of the total auto policy market, how many auto policies are there in the total market?

Initial internship provides promising perspective into future Liberty Mutual possibilities

Seattle, WA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

It provided me insight into what it is like to work at such a large company, as well as the possibilities of moving to different departments within the company. The department was flexible with my start date which was very helpful so I wasn't stuck with no job for the first 6 weeks I was out of school.

I would have liked more interaction with other interns. I am the only intern in my department, and the rest of the employees are well beyond my age. Having people closer to my age would be a welcome experience.

I also felt like there wasn't always work for me to do. The nature of my department is more of a process than project based; when the work slowed down, there was nothing to fill in the gaps whereas with project based employment there is always something that needs to be done for the product.

Ask plenty of questions regarding the day to day tasks of your job in order to fully understand what your experience will be like. Understand what your role in that position will be, and understand what role that position plays in the larger division or SBU.

Advice to Management

Pay for my parking or cover my bus fare expense. Let interns take advantage of the 401K; I have a 401K at my previous employer (an 8 person company) and now it is just sitting there because I could not bring it here. I know I was only here for 10 weeks, but that would be a huge factor in which deciding which company I intern with. As far as compensation, I am underpaid at $17 an hour. For someone in this position, at a company this size that wants to attract and retain top talent, the compensation should start at $20 and be negotiable upwards.

Great opportunity to look into the world of work in the U.S from a British perspective.

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to meet many different departments.

Living and working in another country.

Some mundane tasks but these are to be expected.

Not receiving even the minimum wage from the company but rather a stipend from my host charity.

If you are a Saltire intern, Liberty is a great place to internship. Fairly wide array of roles available and the work culture is quite laid back and not too demanding.

Advice to Management

Providing at least minimum wage to Saltire interns,.