Liberty Mutual Internship Program

Date: 2013

Great perks but a lot of busy work

Getting to see how a large corporate company operate.

The culture is too formal for me. Business professional dress and the approval process is slow and hierarchical. It is hard to get anything done here.

Get ready for a real corporate job.

Advice to Management

The culture needs to let up and the technology needs to be updated.

Date: 2013

A great working environment with a lack of real work

The management and employees were excellent to work with, the surrounding area had a lot of things to do, and the pay was very competitive for an internship.

There seemed to be a lot of confusion as to where I fit in and it showed in the amount of down time I had over the course of the internship. The work that I did have a chance to do was only occasionally challenging and mostly boring.

Liberty Mutual is an excellent company to get your foot in the door. The work-life balance seems great (as long as you aren't in an on-call position) and individuals here can't say enough about the amount of mobility there is within Liberty. Hopefully my experience won't be yours.

Advice to Management

Put interns on meaningful assignments that are challenging and relevant.

Date: 2013

Work enjoyed more than expected, but ultimately disappointing experience.

I enjoyed the work more than expected, and was able to make a contribution through valuable and real projects.

I did not like the data/analytics projects I was given, and the fact that I was misled to believe a full time offer was a given if my performance exceeded expectations.

Insurance can actually be interesting, but the statistics about the full-time placement rate are incredibly misleading.

Advice to Management

Recognize the importance of Marketing and acknowledge the potential value in adding entry-level positions in this field.

Money versus life

The supervisors, pay, and flexible time off

The interview process and organization for development program.

Give it a chance, it might be the career path you like!

Advice to Management

More training and flexibility in hours.

Intern for Data Management in Commercial Insurance

Getting to work with the databases

Having varied amounts of work per day

First couple weeks review inter company workings, then after that start working.

Date: 2013

Data Management Analysis and data manipulation.

Learning, software acclimation, DB queries.

Learning curve, acronyms, lack of functionality, lack of learning resources, lack of efficiency, lack of organization

Ask questions of your mentor, don't be afraid to tell them "I don't know".

Advice to Management

Provide a program for new hires/interns that helps to acclimate them to their teams, OR make sure that documentation is consistent across platforms/teams.

Date: 2013

Busy work in a very unappealing industry

The people are pretty nice and the pay is good

I spend most of my day trying to look busy while I'm really just watching the clock waiting to go home. I do everything asked of me, there's just not that much to do. I feel like I'm living the movie Office Space

It's not very interesting but the pasy is good and it'll look nice on a resume.

Advice to Management

Have a specific plan ready for what the interns are going to be doing for the summer.

Date: 2013

Great Salary and Insurance Exposure, but Terrible Coworkers.

Salary, paid time off, opportunity to work part-time at the end of the summer program, opportunity to have a full-time job out of college if one chooses, good location in Kansas City area.

Middle management cared nothing about advancing interns or their knowledge of the daily work, interns are given little instruction after the introductory training period and are thrown into a 'sink or swim' environment, coworkers are terrible. that cannot be emphasized enough.

If you are not slightly interested in the insurance industry, do not work here, or any other insurance company. If you want a good paying job for a few months and possibly during the school year, give it a chance. You should have a lot of patience and be expected to catch on very quickly and not expect much understanding if you mess up from your manager.

Advice to Management

Ensure the interns stick with one manager and one team. Do not continually rotate them from team to team and mentor to mentor. Generation Y persons like consistency and learning from one person, not constantly being switched around. Also, advise middle management to be more understanding if an intern makes a mistake or two. No one is perfect and the small bit of training the summer interns receive does not necessarily apply if they stay on part-time during the school year. I recommend more training at that point.

Date: 2013

Obtained a great experience and learned to adjust to the corporate environment.

The unit that I work with. Investigative and analytical skills that I obtained throughout my experience. Learning the culture of the corporate environment.

Difficulty dealing with other units/departments. Unsure about full-time job opportunity. Lack of employee appreciation.

Since it is a large company, there is a lot of room for transfer to different departments if you find that the current one is not the right fit. Great learning experience and are able to reach out to obtain more training/education if desired.

Advice to Management

Within my department specficially, there was very little employee appreciation and therefore, very life employee retention.

Date: 2013

Great pay, and about as exciting as the Insurance industry can get

Meetings with prospective contractors, the pay, office location.

Boring atmosphere, no personal connection to the work--it's just a massive corporation with thousands of disconnected employees in confusing, overlapping business units and departments.

Apply for a program that fits your interests, and be prepared to work alone much of the time, as many departments are split up between cities and involve traveling managers.

Advice to Management

More of an onboarding experience would have made the start feel more official. Interns were left on their own to find one another in the vast and confusing company for most of the internship. Make it more social so we want to be here.