Intern at Liberty Mutual Insurance Internship Program? Submit a Review

Unorganized Intern Program, Terrible Manager w/ a Big Ego, Lack of Projects, Careless Recruiter

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Nothing. This internship sucks in every aspect. The manager sucks, my desk sucks, the chair is uncomfortable, the cafeteria food is expensive and disgusting, the other interns are rude, the "projects" sucks, the recruiter doesn't really care about your experience but they just say they do because that's what they were hired to do, and the insurance company is boring as hell.

Everything. I hated everything about the internship. See above.

Do not work here if you are looking for IT/Engineering positions. Liberty Mutual is slow and there is not enough work to pass around. This'll frustrate and bored you. The pay isn't even that great compared to other IT/Engineering positions. If Liberty Mutual is THE only offer you get, beg your heart out to get located in Seattle because the culture there is much more casual. As an IT/Engineering Intern, I'm sure you'll want to be where all the tech is and Seattle is probably the only Liberty location that'll offer that.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation for IT interns because if you don't, we're going to leave and you're going to leave all of the best talent. Fire all of the managers with high egos who only care about themselves and are so desperate to climb the company ladder. Plan more internship events/activities so that interns from across the BSUs can get to know each other. Fire the current chef manager or whatever you call him/her because they design terrible menus that are disgusting and makes me want to puke. Remove UX/UI/Product Design positions from the IT department because design is NOT engineering!!!!!!! Lower the cost of food in the cafeteria. Offer more free stuff because everybody wants free stuff. Offer better foot stools because the one you gave me is too short and wobbly. BE HONEST ABOUT THE INTERN PROGRAM. DON'T TRY TO OVER GLOAT IT AND MAKE IT SOUND AMAZING WHEN IT'S BARELY A "PROGRAM." IF YOU'RE GOING TO PERSUADE PEOPLE TO WORK FOR LIBERTY BECAUSE IT'S A FORTUNE 100 COMPANY, THEN DO STUFF THAT SHOWS IT'S WORTH WORKING AT!!! ALL THE RECRUITERS DO IS TALK TALK TALK, BUT THEY DON'T ACTUALLY WALK WALK WALK.

Tell me about yourself.

Tell me about a time you had to be a leader.

management and recruiting team were low points. Other team members were the high points.

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

decent pay

quality of life. I have no power or importance, and am given most menial tasks. I have no mobility, and attempts at networking were deemed inappropriate because I didn't get every meeting approved by recruiting. I have been denied the option to work remotely, despite working remotely last summer in the same company. I have been required to work overtime, and then not paid extra for my work. I feel like the campus recruiting team gave false expectations of my current role to glorify it.

interview your team members before agreeing to a particular manager/team. can make the difference between a very good and very bad summer.

Advice to Management

never force an intern to work overtime. when they do work overtime make sure you pay them the appropriate rate. make sure mana

Calling past clients and creating promotional materials

Hartford, CT | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are great employees

There is no structure. Very little guidance as to how to do jobs that are assinged to the intern.

It's a relativley low expecation internship.

Advice to Management

There is no support for the intern position. There is very little training. Interns are not strongly encouraged to apply for a job at Liberty Mutual

What was your sales experience?

high pressure sales oriented position with alot of cold calling

Dallas, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great pay and pretty flexible with class schedule

Cold calling, not feeling respected by many in the office. High pressure sales environment. Very stressful.

The company provides great benefits (health ins, vision, dental, etc) for full time employees. The best thing about internship is the pay, everything else was not enjoyable.

Advice to Management

The employee retention is a big deal for this company in the sales role. I saw alot of people either quit or get fired because of not meeting quotas or the high pressure sales environment became too much. You to have to sell alot to make quota goals. The quota goals are rising year to year and there is too much competition within the company. There was little to no hands on training for the internship. Took licensing exam and some online classes provided by the company but no hands on training was given.

Pretty boring but a good learning experience for sales

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I like the people I work with and the opportunity to get a full time job in the future. Also I feel like I am learning a lot of valuable skills and techniques about sales and also the coorporate world.

The job is very boring. I feel like I am not challenged at all. I never have to do anything that involves me actually thinking, solving problems, or making desicions. Most of what I do is calling people which is fine, it is a great to get the experience to do that early. But I never need to figure out anything, solve problems, or work to my full potential. I know that most of an internship is doing busy-work but I wish I did more work that required more thinking.

This internship is really good if you are into sales. It gradually gives you experience with some of the easier aspects as well as teaching you different techniques to use when trying to sell. Also the pay is good. Liberty Mutual is pretty easy going and everyone is nice so I would say it is a good environment to work if you are concerned with getting yelled at and being stressed out because that doesn't happen.

Advice to Management

I would recommend giving the interns more work to keep them busy. Also work that requires more thinking other than just data entry. Also more flexible hours and working from home would be good but I understand that is against company policy. But I feel as though making some of the phone calls would be better to do after 5 when people are home so it would actually be better for the sales reps because that is a better time to get ahold of people.