Liberty Mutual Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #32 Best Overall Internships

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 580 Intern Reviews)

Career Gateway Internship!
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given a significant amount of responsibility that allowed me to gain and develop some crucial skills that are very effective in my full time position.

Nothing, this internship was more than I was expecting it to be!

If you're looking for an internship that future employers will take seriously this is the perfect opportunity for you.

Valuable, Meaningful Work for Interns at Liberty Mutual Insurance
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to be in the corporate office and network with higher-ups was my favorite part of my internship. More opportunities come when someone can just walk down the hall and ask you to help them with something versus emailing someone in another office whom they've never met.

I didn't make as many friends as I'd have liked in an office with 100+ interns.. there is intern programming, but they haven't really figured out the best way to do it yet. I found out in the last week or so that there were some really nice girls that worked the floor below me all summer!

If you want to show up to work at whatever time each day wearing whatever you'd like, this job isn't for you. It's a structured, formal, full-time job. Being an intern at LMI is no different than if you were a real full-time employee.. you just happen to have an end date! What's good about that is that by the end of your internship, you know EXACTLY what it would be like to be a full team member because you've been fully immersed in the company the whole duriation of your internship. In other words, the only coffee you'll be running to get is for yourself!

10 week clip of being an Actuary
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with my team doing real life work that mattered for the company.

I sometimes felt like the managers were not really aware of the intern responsibilities outside of the team.

Make sure you get involved sooner rather than later. Don't wait until the last week or month to do job shadows and talk with senior management.

A Challenging and Rewarding Opportunity
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of this internship was that I was able to participate in activities that directly effect the success of this company. It really was a hands-on experience with critical decision making. I felt like my manager trusted me to make decisions that most other internships might not allow one to make.

The only opportunity that I believe I missed out on was being able to job shadow people in different departments. I wish I was able to job shadow someone in underwriting.

Liberty Mutual has a huge focus on employee engagement. This company has a great understanding that in order to have great customer service they must have content employees.

I was asked questions that the employer wanted me to answer with a star method response. These type of questions involved various scenarios such as "tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer". Any of the top 10 star method questions could be asked.

Advice to Management

The caseload of some adjusters is way to high and their performance is skewed because it is nearly impossible to keep up to their objectives. There have been many people hired since I've started my internship but it is difficult to get that many people up to speed at once.

Real Life Experiences for Students
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager, the work, my team, the company, the real life experiences and work tasks, exposure to what a full-time job would be.

The Location.

They invest in talent and strive to have interns come on full time after graduation.

Fast passed work environment with enormous opportunity to grow yourself but more importantly your career.
Allentown, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of this internship would be without a doubt the one on one interaction between my branch manager and the ESR in my office. The dynamic ability to have such close relationships with both of these individuals has been paramount to my abilities to ask questions, learn the company, the industry, and everything that comes with a position such as this.

My only displeasure with this internship which is very trivial to start is that up until recently I was the only individual in relation to my age here in the office. While this was a down fall in some regards it was also a perk in the sense that I had enormous amounts of knowledge from vetted reps in the office.

At first I didn’t know anything about insurance, other than that everyone had it and everyone needed it. So if you want to be the guy or the girl who has that knowledge this is definitely the job for you. There is a lot of learning and hours that need to be put in, however the payout thus far has been extremely rewarding and there is much more to come!

There was an exorbitant amount of questions asked during the interview process. All of which were very off beat than that of what I expected. I would recommend having a story, or something you learned, or something you failed at, or lastly something you did above average for every aspect of your resume.

Advice to Management

At a point of an internship such as I am in, it would be interesting to entertain the idea of compensation on some level for policy’s that got bound or sold by the intern.

Engaging Internship
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the engaging work and the true focus on the employees.

Not as much of a social aspect as some companies who like to party

You earn friednship and repect through hard work!

All behavioral

Advice to Management

More fun actitives/socials

Liberty Cares
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting first hand experience on how a large company functions.

inconsistency of work/ things to do.

Come in with an open mind and try to focus on gaining an understanding of if you want to work at the company or not. Try to explore different departments because the experience of your internship is highly dependent on your mentors and managers.

Intern Makes an Impact at Liberty Mutual
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The location of the office, the people I got to work with and for, and the projects I was given because they made a difference for my whole department, I was not given any busywork.

That it's over! It would have been nice to know about our full-time offers before leaving as well, because if I did not receive it I need to start looking and applying for other opportunities.

Liberty Mutual is a fantastic place to work! They are very focused on employee satisfaction and make sure everyone knows how things are going across the enterprise.

All behavioral based:

Give me an example of a time where you had conflict with someone you were working with. What was the conflict, and how did you overcome it? What was the result of working together?

Advice to Management

Although I was able to hit the ground running and jump right into my department, some information about it before my first day would have been helpful so I could spend my time on other things.

A Great Start in a Great Company
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my internship was the hands on approach my manager and team took. I witnessed everyday how the agents, service reps, and senior branch manager handled their daily responsibilities and what changes and additions they made to better the workplace.

As I stated before, Liberty Mutual is a huge company and it is difficult to experience all aspects of the company in one summer. I would have liked more exposure to the other departments to see what they were like. Not that I did not like Personal Insurance but other SBU's interested me as well.

If given the opportunity to work for Liberty Mutual, take it. It is a great first step to begin a search for a career. There are a multitude of factors that are difficult to find at other jobs. An intern will learn to understand the reality of a career choice and the effort needed to succeed as well as the larger company dynamic. The freedom given to employees also allows people to analyze what path is right for them.

When was a time where you needed to problem solve with a short amount of time? What was the end result? Would you change anything now?

Advice to Management

I honestly cannot think of one bad aspect. The only thing I would have liked is the greater exposure to other departments.