Liberty Mutual Internship Program

Intern at Liberty Mutual Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

it was worth it
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

the training program was helpful to me and enabled me to adapt very quickly to the work culture as well as understand what was expected of me. my manager also worked with me to accomodate my work schedule.

the internship does not entail what am going to school for- Finance. However, I am optimistic that I will get opportunities in a finance capacity with the company down the road.

It is important to be goal oriented, be able to work as part of a team and at the same time meet performance objectives.

Great Opportunity for Full-Time Employment
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility of my schedule on a semester-to-semester basis.

A lot of down time. This wasnt a day-to-day issue but there were weeks during the company re-organization where I really had nothing to do,.

LIberty Mutual is a great company to start your career and provides a lot of different opportunities moving forward. With the size of the company and their clear focus on retaining their interns, there is enormous potential for growth and movement i the company.

At Liberty Mutual I don't just assist others or make coffee - I sell, network, and I've figure out what I want to do after graduation.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunities to self manage, work with esteemed professionals in my field, always being included, and actually interacting with customers and selling insurance

There were limited, but still some administrative duties

One of Liberty Mutual's values is inclusion. The company is a Fortune 100 company and I always felt like I was included with the team as an equal and I'm constantly learning new things or taking on new and exciting projects.

Advice to Management

I would recommend training all sales interns to be licensed at the beginning of their internship. I got my licenses after a few months, but the knowledge I gained at that point was extremely valuable and could have been helpful selling if I'd done it earlier.

Great company, great atmosphere.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My boss really helped me to learn about the company and feel like a contributing member of the Liberty Mutual team. It was a great experience to learn about the insurance industry.

I lived about an hour away, so the commute wasn't the best.

Liberty Mutual is a great place to launch a career. The internship is a great learning experience.

Liberty Mutual Human Resources Internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Feeling like an actual employee in the company with important tasks that contribute to the company's success. The corporate culture is awesome; everyone is nice and extremely helpful. Supervisors and managers really expressed their want for me to work full time and help to guide me in the right direction throughout my internship in order to reach that outcome successfully.

I had to share a cubicle with another intern and in some ways there were limited resources for us.

Liberty is an awesome company to intern for. They do a great job with career development and ensuring our internship experiences are invaluable. They also hire interns with hopes of hiring them full time once they graduate, which is also a great aspect. The employees at Liberty treat you like you are like one of them and are more than open to helping and working with you professionally.

It's not work it's a break from work
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My supervisors, managers, the support, the activities with other interns. It was one of the best summers of my life.

Everything was rewarding except the commute, and there was no help with commuting into the city from the company.

It is a great company that will always stand by you.

Advice to Management

The hours can be more flexible for interns and depending on their commute.

Liberty Mutual offers growth opporunities and challenging responsibilities to fit interns expectations.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

*High level of opportunity for growth and learning.
*Real world responsibilities (Got to deliver code on important, consumer facing, projects).
*Allowed to dictate the workload you can handle and how you can stretch yourself through good communication with leadership.
*Corperate community is welcoming, professional, understanding, and willing to help (Not elitist, no Cowboy Coders).

*Slow ramp up time
*Finding the projects to work on requires leg work and confidence by the intern (You have to push back on your managers so they know you are ready to take on more work/get started, it would be possible to get *forgotten* in the system and as some other interns prooved, not do any meaningful work for 6 months. If you wait around for someone to tell you what to do when your done with your work - you wont hear anything until your end of year/intership review.)

Bring a "go get em" attitude, self confidence and the desire to expand yourself by taking on challenging responsibilites will get you far.

Advice to Management

More specific trainings would be great, my team started doing more "lunch and learn" presentations and sharing of knowledge between team members was great for a intern who is ready to learn everything they can, it also raised awareness about how the team as a whole functions and what requirements/difficulties other members of the team face.
I would also suggest making sure that managers who take on Interns are ready for the increased requirements that an intern presents, its best to keep close track of them and this "hand holding" phase is a significant time drain over managing a normal employee. For any manager who is already working at maximum capactiy this usually means the intern loses out becasue the iterns time is effectivly the most inefficient use of a mangers time, they require the most work and get the least immediate value added to the managers current projects. Interships are about fosterning long term employees (for cheap!) who are ready to learn if you make the investment in sufficiently teaching/herding them.

Enjoy a fun, yet challening time, as well as helping others? Then join the Disability Claims Team!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are so many amazing aspects to the internships I've had with Liberty Mutual. First, and foremost, is the real-world experience I gained over my time working for the company. Second has to be the people in the office, and the degree to which they all genuinely care for one-another. Third was the opportunity to go to Boston and see home office, while learning more about the company. Not only was the trip fun, it was also informative...and I fell in love with the city! Finally, being offered a full-time position was fantastic because it relieved a lot of stress in my life while also providing me the opportunit to work for a Fortune 100 company.

There really isn't anything that I dislike about the internship. Sometimes the work is really stressful, but that's mostly due to the time-sensitive nature of this field, as well as claimant (or customer) expectations.

Information on the goals of the organization as a whole would have been really nice to know. In this day and age, people pick their employers partially based on whether their beliefs align with the companies beliefs, and it's hard to determine if they do when there is no information on the goals available to the public.

Advice to Management

My only real complaint with how the summer internship went was the training. We were trained to handle only simple maternity claims, as that was mostly what we were receiving. However, by the end of the summer I was getting more complicated maternity claims as well as other standard short-term disability claims, which I did not have the training for, complicating the process.

An incredible networking experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed experiencing the helpful nature of all of the employees and seeing that responsibility was a key factor in every decision made. I enjoyed working with all of the Liberty Mutual employees because I aspire to be like them once I graduate from college. I also enjoyed giving back to the community through two different service projects, during my stay.

I would have liked to have worked with several of the other interns in my area on a project and present it. I would have also like to have visited more of the departments within Liberty Mutual, but my internship went by so fast.

Liberty Mutual is a company not out to make just a profit. The employees strive to make the community around them a better place through different service projects throughout the year. The company prides itself on excellent customer service and showing a sense of responsibility in everything the employees do.

Advice to Management

I would suggest Liberty Mutual also visit smaller local schools to talk about employment opportunities and what Liberty Mutual has to offer them. I find that may college students don't understand why they need insurance and think that is would be a rather boring career. If a representative from Liberty Mutual were to come and give a short presentation about the insurance industry and in particular, Liberty Mutual.

An incredible and meaningful experience through which I gained lifelong career skills
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager was excellent and truly helped me to grow in my professional development. Everyone I encountered treated me with respect, empowered me, and gave me meaningful tasks.

I would like to have known the possibility of future opportunities before I left.

Liberty Mutual has incredible employee benefits, work-life balance, and possibilities for advancement.