Liberty Mutual Internship Program

Intern at Liberty Mutual Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

An excellent way to learn the sales industry
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the management. Management is key to being happy in a work place. They are the ones that set the atmosphere of the work place. I also liked how everyone in the office respected the time it takes to be a student. They made sure I was aware that I can take off if I need to study for a test. I was not used to this since my previous employer never did this

Sales is tough. It is not that I don't like it. I was surprised that how hard sales was.

I believe that you must be a self-motivated individual to work in this industry or even be an intern in this industry. There are many ways you can slack.... But you must be the type that won’t even when the opportunity arises.

Advice to Management

I think that they should include health and dental benefits. I almost passed up this opportunity since my previous employer gave me better health and dental benefits even though the pay was overall less. Most interns are young and the health risks are relatively low compared to those later in life.

AWESOMEEEE!!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great work/life balance and supportive working environment

Overwhelming training sessions

Return offer rate is important. Liberty Mutual's return offer rate is over 90%.

Advice to Management

Housing arrangement

Great Opportunity for Full-Time Employment
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility of my schedule on a semester-to-semester basis.

A lot of down time. This wasnt a day-to-day issue but there were weeks during the company re-organization where I really had nothing to do,.

LIberty Mutual is a great company to start your career and provides a lot of different opportunities moving forward. With the size of the company and their clear focus on retaining their interns, there is enormous potential for growth and movement i the company.

An unexpected perfect success. I had never really heard of Liberty Mutual before, but I had the best internship!
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking with other employees, real hands-on experience, receiving a full-time offer, going to senior forum in Boston, getting to know other interns, using my programming and other skills, working closely with my mentor and manager

It took about a week to get my laptop set up for development. Other than that, it was great!.

Great place to work, the people are generally very helpful and friendly, perfect place to work to have a personal and work life balance, great competitive pay

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything

Great company, great atmosphere.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My boss really helped me to learn about the company and feel like a contributing member of the Liberty Mutual team. It was a great experience to learn about the insurance industry.

I lived about an hour away, so the commute wasn't the best.

Liberty Mutual is a great place to launch a career. The internship is a great learning experience.

At Liberty Mutual I don't just assist others or make coffee - I sell, network, and I've figure out what I want to do after graduation.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunities to self manage, work with esteemed professionals in my field, always being included, and actually interacting with customers and selling insurance

There were limited, but still some administrative duties

One of Liberty Mutual's values is inclusion. The company is a Fortune 100 company and I always felt like I was included with the team as an equal and I'm constantly learning new things or taking on new and exciting projects.

Advice to Management

I would recommend training all sales interns to be licensed at the beginning of their internship. I got my licenses after a few months, but the knowledge I gained at that point was extremely valuable and could have been helpful selling if I'd done it earlier.

Very relaxed and interesting internship experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager was awesome, other interns and staff were very friendly, short work days (8:30am-4:30pm)

At times it was boring and didn't offer enough challenge or workload. You had to be very proactive in reaching out to people not in your immediate group for project work.

During your internship, be proactive in getting project work and working with your manager and recruiters for full-time opportunities; it will pay off if you are a decent worker and can add value.

Advice to Management

Give a signing bonus to full-time offers to compete with other big time employers who recruit early "fall". Having a reorganization every two years doesn't impress many interns either.

The best learning experience, and the most rewarding internship; I feel I am truly valued in this organization.

Learning experience

The cap of hours I can do per week

Be ready to learn and work hard. You get what you put in.

Advice to Management

I think having a manager who is involved with their sales people and challenging them on a daily basis, make a better work environment. I also think letting the interns be able to do more than 30 hours per week if they want to, will be an advantage.

Liberty Mutual offers growth opporunities and challenging responsibilities to fit interns expectations.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

*High level of opportunity for growth and learning.
*Real world responsibilities (Got to deliver code on important, consumer facing, projects).
*Allowed to dictate the workload you can handle and how you can stretch yourself through good communication with leadership.
*Corperate community is welcoming, professional, understanding, and willing to help (Not elitist, no Cowboy Coders).

*Slow ramp up time
*Finding the projects to work on requires leg work and confidence by the intern (You have to push back on your managers so they know you are ready to take on more work/get started, it would be possible to get *forgotten* in the system and as some other interns prooved, not do any meaningful work for 6 months. If you wait around for someone to tell you what to do when your done with your work - you wont hear anything until your end of year/intership review.)

Bring a "go get em" attitude, self confidence and the desire to expand yourself by taking on challenging responsibilites will get you far.

Advice to Management

More specific trainings would be great, my team started doing more "lunch and learn" presentations and sharing of knowledge between team members was great for a intern who is ready to learn everything they can, it also raised awareness about how the team as a whole functions and what requirements/difficulties other members of the team face.
I would also suggest making sure that managers who take on Interns are ready for the increased requirements that an intern presents, its best to keep close track of them and this "hand holding" phase is a significant time drain over managing a normal employee. For any manager who is already working at maximum capactiy this usually means the intern loses out becasue the iterns time is effectivly the most inefficient use of a mangers time, they require the most work and get the least immediate value added to the managers current projects. Interships are about fosterning long term employees (for cheap!) who are ready to learn if you make the investment in sufficiently teaching/herding them.

It was good.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I did the same work as full time employees.

I didn't get study hours.

Technology skills

Advice to Management

pay me more