Liberty Mutual Internship Program

Real life experience in a high-intensity, fast-paced field with the help and suppport of many teammates. Valuable life skils are developed.
Spokane, WA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I work with and among are awesome. Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to help despite their own busy work day. I learned valuable skills that I can apply going into my future, particularly how to handle myself and keep composure in a fast-paced working environment and how to effectively communicate over the phone with many different people. I was able to learn by doing, and I really enjoy that hands-on learning experience. There was pressure to learn quickly and on the go, but that helped my development as it prepared me for future jobs. It helped me to overcome the intimidation of seemingly daunting tasks and boosted my confidence in myself.

Sometimes I felt a little lost and like I had been thrown into doing something without being prepared which generated a lot of stress. Unhappy customers are not fun to talk with over the phone.

Have a willingness and desire to learn. Try to pay close attention to everything and take it all in. The information can seem overwhelming because there is so much being thrown at you all at once, especially when starting. It can be hard to retain all of that info or to keep interested when you spend your whole days just reading through information at first. Try to stay attentive and engaged because the more you retain early, the better off you will be when you actually start working. Be ready to learn by doing and don't get intimidated or fearful, gladly take on and tackle new tasks. It can be scary at first but the people are awesome and will support you, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Intern learns everything he/she needs to in order to be successful in Claims
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The autonomy that I was given

The nature of the work

The workspace

The compensation

The Mentor Program

Getting yelled at by claimants/ people over the phone (Not a big issue though)

I didn't really know what to expect coming into an internship in the insurance industry. I learned over the course of a summer that insurance is one of the most important industries in America/the world. I think that a lot of college students looking for an internship may see the insurance industry as boring (I did). But, once you dive in to the work offered to you by Liberty Mutual, you realize that not only is the work challenging and mentally stimulating, but it is rewarding as well.

Advice to Management

I think that my office (the Centennial CO office) could have made my internship more enjoyable if there were at least a few more interns. Although I enjoyed the experience of being the only intern in my dept., I think that the job would have been more enjoyable if there were another intern here.

Valuable, real-life experience
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The interns were given meaningful work right away. We learned a lot about the insurance industry and gained valuable business skills.

I am personally not interested in insurance, so it was kind of boring.

This is a great company with endless opportunities for growth vertically and horizontally. Great office environment.

Broadening My Professional Horizons
Orlando, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting first hand experience in the career that I want to partake in after college. Getting to interact with co-workers in gaining their insight about the company and how they came to work with the company. Getting familiar with the software and processes that comes wtih working with Liberty Mutual.

The busy work.

My second time interning with this company has really allowed me to grow as a professional and see the other sides of insurnace that I did not feel were possible.

Advice to Management

none. I felt like this internship was great. Especailly since it was my second go around I really knew what I was getting into.

Great exposure to an entire fiel of business.
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, spontaneity, learning.

There was nothing that I specifically disliked.

Be active and show initiative.

Absolutely Amazing!
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was involved with real, meaningful work.

I really enjoyed the whole experience.

I would absolutely accept an internship with Liberty Mutual if you are made an offer. The company is amazing.

Greatest Company in the World
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were amazing.

One time the keurig machine ran out of dark roast columbian coffee and I had t

It's a great company that treats its employees well; I think that assessing a company's culture is an often overlooked and undervalued part of the process, but I believe strongly that it is one of LIberty Mutual's strengths.

Fun and Challenging Sales Internship
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

We have had a lot of freedom to manage our own time and tasks. We also have had many opportunites to shadow sales reps in our offices and go to various events and meetings that they have outside of the office. In addition, he have had opportunities to set up our own events and meetings to help build our book of business.

The lack of communication from our various managers to us. We rotated throughout the internship and it was sometimes hard to understand what needed to be accomplished in certain offices or what to do if we had a problem.

I would say that you will need to work hard if you want to be succesful and eventually recieve an offer from Liberty Mutual. I would also suggest that new interns try and learn from as many different sales reps as they could to understand different sales techniques and proccesses so that they can have a better understanding as to what will work best for them in the future.

Advice to Management

Just for them to have better communication.

My experience as an intern with Liberty Mutual was educational, inspirational, and irreplaceable.
Pittsburgh, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking, skill building, fun, great mentors, learned insurance and sales processes

It was a lot of hours and kept me busy.

As a sales intern, you can't be afraid of the phone, you have to be a people person and get used to hearing no. Liberty is a great place to learn and a great company to work for after graduation. They make you truly feel appreciated.

Two years later, I'm a full employee!
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got the opportunity to work as an intern throughout the school year my junior and senior years of college, so by the time I started as full-time employee, I had already been with the company for two years. During the two years that I interned, I was never treated any differently than the rest of the employees in our office, and was incredibly thankful for that. And...at the end of the summer prior to senior year, they flew me up to our home office in Boston, MA to attend conferences and get to know the company better.

This internship is definitely one that keeps you busy, and can be stressful at times. I didn't really mind it most of the time, but sometimes I just wanted a break!

Make sure that you are a hard worker, and that you like to talk on the phone.

Advice to Management

My only complaint is the lack of communication that sometimes goes on. We've had teams be rearranged in our office a couple of times with employees only finding out a couple of days before they had a new manager, and all new accounts they were working on, which is hard on everyone involved.