Liberty Mutual Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #32 Best Overall Internships

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 580 Intern Reviews)

The perfect transition to full time work

The experience

Some of the people were very technical

Great place to work

Best professional development experience of your life, and full time opportunities with best corporation in the US when you are done.
Orlando, FL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

the best aspect for me was getting to work in an office environment, and receiving all of the professional development experience that comes with that. also at the end of the internship, all of the high preforming interns got to fly to Boston, and while there we had a SBU dinner. for my SBU dinner, I got to eat with Jim MacPhee (current CCO at liberty) and talk about his time at Liberty, and all the different positions he has held gave me confidence in being able to move up within the corporation, and then change SBUs, which removed any remaining reasons I had to doubt joining Liberty full time next year.

fee bills! they were boring, but even that I can't really call a "con" the experience whole was AMAZING

just apply. don't be intimidated by the fact that it is an amazing fortune 100 company. I'm a 3.1 GPA UF student, and I got to intern there, you probably will too!

*this is a call center environment, and an important part of what we do is make a genuine human connection to each policy holder, can you tell me about a time you made a genuine human connection, and how that worked out?*

Advice to Management

make fee bills and expense reports paperless quicker. other than that, honestly, it was an amazing place to work, and that was because of the management. compensation, hours, and promotions are why I am going to take a position there next year.

Introduction of Office Life
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work / life balance. Small working environment but with all the major parts (i.e finance/accounting/operations) visible and accessible.

There was not always work for me to do.

It's a great first internship in which you really experience office life. However, if you're looking for a position that is incredibly challenging, this internship might not be for you.

When was a time that you failed, and what did you learn from that experience?

Advice to Management

Liberty does a great job and creates a fantastic work environment.

Invaluable experience
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The corporate culture and the environment

Nothing comes to mind

The IT aspect of the company is great and not what I expected. Every position could be yours!

Advice to Management

More training

Great work experience with unbelievable potential of career development
Toledo, OH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

office culture

nothing, everything is great. Challenging but great things in life are challenging

Take advenatge of all the opportunities they provide

What would you bring to Liberty Mutual

Advice to Management

No complaints, an amzing internship

Liberty Mutual: Great Pay, Amazing Opportunities.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

A few best aspects of my internship included great compensation, an open work schedule (you can come in anytime between 7-9, and leave between 3-5), being treated the same as a full time associate, and a meaningful internship experience where I made great networking opportunities and actually learned transferable skills.

I did not enjoy working in the Claims department, as most of the job concerns calling claimants and medical professionals.

Liberty is a fantastic place to work once you get your foot in the door, I did not enjoy my actual position but feel that the company itself is incredibe. I look forward to transfering to a different department next year, and am very excited for the future opportunities my manager and operations manager have advised me on. You could not ask for a better place to work, people care about you, you are paid well, and you can come and go whenever as long as you get your work done. The workload itself was definitely managable, with strict company guidelines of working no more than 37.5 hours a week. Liberty cares greatly about its interns

-Tell us about a time you had to give hard news to another individual. What did you say and how did they handle it?

-What is your biggest weakness?

Advice to Management

The only advice I could give Liberty is to expand on the training program. I was given many opportunities to work on complex claims and make complex decisions, although I was only supposed to work on 'simple' claims. I really enjoyed this, because I was able to go above and beyond my role, although I had to learn a lot of stuff outside of my training class. I would advise a split training program that covers simple actions and procedures such as ICP's amd EDM's for one week, a one week introductory break to get to know one's team and mentor, then a second week of training for claim approvals and handling complex icps.

If you want to feel valued, come intern at Liberty Mutual
Harrisburg, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, work environment, and opportunity for growth. For exceptional interns that the company is interested in hiring they have an all-expense paid trip to Boston at the end of the summer.

Not enough work at times

Liberty Mutual truly is all about responsibility. If you are a dedicated and responsible person, Liberty Mutual will treat you well.

Give me an example of a time when you were put in a situation where you had to think on your feet.

What was your favorite job and why, and what was your least favorite job, and why?

Prepare Yourself to : Establish your Strengths, break down your weaknesses, and Take one Step Closer to What you Want.
Manchester, NH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone I worked with in my office was amazing and showed me nothing but respect and a genuine interest in my development at the company.

Liberty Mutual is a massive country so I would love an opportunity to see more of the operations if that would be possible.

I have had a great experience for several reasons. There has never been a day where I have not felt that my manager and co-workers support me and are willing to help me with issues I am having. At LMI, employees are understanding and willing to educate you as long as you are willing to put forth the effort. Here at Liberty Mutual, you are surrounded by motivated people at all different stages of life. A great place to learn and build.

Name a time where you needed to make a quick decision? How did it work out?

Advice to Management

Specifically for interns, an internship program that allows the intern to observe several department would be so beneficial for the intern and allow the company to be more competitive when attempting to convince the intern to become full time.

Best Summer Ever

- Company culture

- Colleagues/Teammates

- Manager

- Intern group

- Debriefs

- Presentation

- Redundant trainings sometimes

If you like work life balance and career development, Liberty Mutual is the perfect place for you.

List 5 things you would consider when evaluating a homeowner insurance contract.

Making Career Decisions and Lifelong Friends
Austin, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flex schedule since I am in school too.

I least liked the traffic getting there. Overall I loved my internship.

Great employee benefits, welcoming work environment, helpful staff, teamwork is important here, and the diverse group of careers within one organization.