Liberty Mutual Internship Program

Date: 2013

Intern Gains real life experience and moves into rewarding career

Being able to work one on one with a top producer and having support from all levels of management. The company works well with my school schedule and is very flexible

The amount of "service" or paperwork that comes with working wth a rep who has a large book of business is a downside

Your internship is what you make it. If I wanted to do paperwork all day, I could- but I chose to get out there and do the typical things a full time employee would do. Branching out shows your managers you have confidence and that you do not want to just "get by"

Advice to Management

Training could be more in depth and less online

Date: 2013

I learned more than I ever thought I would have in such a short period of time.

Family culture

Angry Clamiants

Be prepared to make decisons and talk with attorneys

Advice to Management

More of a rotational intern program to see all aspects of the job

An Exceptional Internship

I loved working with bodily injury claims and evaluating cases based on medical records and information obtained from the parties involved. I also liked working on various office projects that benefitted the claims representatives and made their jobs more efficient. I also enjoyed the flexible hours, the office culture, and the overall positive attitude that was displayed in the company.

There was very little structure to the internship, a lot of the times I was on my own to find projects. It wasn't always a bad thing, but I'm the type of person who likes having a lot of projects on my plate. The other thing was that the system that the company uses for claims gives interns very limited access which made it hard to help claims representatives with projects.

It's a great company, I'd never pass up an opportunity to work for them full-time.

Advice to Management

The only thing that I would say is that there needs to be more projects specifically designed for interns, maybe a simulation program where interns can handle claims and truly get a handle on what it's like to be a claims representative. Currently, the system that the company uses gives very limited access to the interns which makes it hard for us to truly grasp the concept of handling claims.

Date: 2013

Liberty Mutual's mentorship guarantees personal development and the opportunity to explore careers within the insurance industry.

Real work, saw real results, and contributes to the organization's bottom line, had the opportunity to travel to Boston, developed a out-of-office mentorship with my in-office mentor.

Nothing, it was awesome.

Be willing to apply for internships outside of your initial scope, because the organization is great at letting you explore new avenues and meeting people outside your initial department.

Advice to Management

Employee retention: outside of the two home offices (Safeco & Liberty) it is difficult for interns to receive conversion.

Liberty Lets Interns Lead & Learn

Level of responsibility granted, work-life balance, company-sponsored events, mentoring and guidance.

Structure can wall you off from other departments.

Take the internship. I fully endorse Liberty. I got a promotion and pay increase three months after starting full-time!

Advice to Management

Nothing that I can think of at this point in time.

Date: 2013

This is exactly what I hoped for and even better.

The support I received from my manager and colleagues.

I could not think of anything that makes me dislike the internship.

Great organization with generous support for actuarial students. Liberty has the advantage as a large insurance company to provide many opportunities but also feel less like a corporate setting.

Date: 2013

Challenging and very rewarding.

The culture at Liberty Mutual is very positive and inviting.

I often felt stressed by the amount of work I was responsible for.

Liberty Mutual is a great company that is dedicated to its values.

Advice to Management

I think it would be beneficial to know a bit more about the work load we will be experiencing when out on the floor.

Date: 2013

Working, learning, and having fun

Meet several new people to network with

Not having enough work to do

There are a lot of opportunities

Advice to Management

Assign more work and work closely with the interns

Date: 2013

Jumpstart your career with an unparalleled boost into professional development!

worked on meaningful projects that were taken into serious consideration by high level management and was treated as a full time hire with regards to work life and assignments

new hires that were brought in at a relatively similar time as the interns had an unjustified condescending attitude

Liberty Mutual has great resources and development programs along with a buddy system that will help ease you into the professional environment

Date: 2013

Gain real life work experience, meet incredible people, recieve hands-on training and have a blast while doing it!

I enjoyed the flexible work hour schedule. I was able to come in to work at 7am and leave at 3pm almost everyday. This enabled me to gain solid experience working 8 hours a day but also gave me time to explore NH after work.

It took some time to adjust to working a full 37.5 hour work week.

You will not regret interning for LM. It will be a great experience, you'll meet a lot of great new people, and it will open the door to many new opportunities.

Advice to Management

I could have adjusted more quickly with additional training at the beginning of the internship.