Liberty Mutual Internship Program

This is exactly what I hoped for and even better.
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The support I received from my manager and colleagues.

I could not think of anything that makes me dislike the internship.

Great organization with generous support for actuarial students. Liberty has the advantage as a large insurance company to provide many opportunities but also feel less like a corporate setting.

An unforgettable Opportuity.
Tampa, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

It is local and close to my university. Also, there is opportunity for relocation.

Not being able to make compensibility decisions on claims

I would recommend to a candidate to be great with time management

Fun team building experience that pushed the company foward technologically.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid more than other internships

Met a lot of cool people, started networking

Benefits (flexible time off, paid vacation)

Having to wake up early.

If you are looking for a job that pays well, look no further. They quote "competitive pay" but you won't find another company that makes sure you don't need to put in overtime, pays within the top ten percent of similar internships, and gives you paid vacation days at the same time.

Advice to Management

Depending on the department, getting up and running is a little boring while you wait for managers of managers to approve the permissions you will need to do your work.

Internship provides an excellent opportunity to obtain a wide range of work-related experiences.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Many chances to gain experience using tools I will need as a full-time employee.

Somewhat isolated, unless you make an effort to interact with other co-workers.

Excellent internship program - they give you real work to do, lots of training opportunities, and a real chance of a full-time job at the end of it.

A high qualitty internship in many regards.
Indianapolis, IN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people in the company are all approachable and welcoming. Most employees recommend the company as a great place to work for when compared to other corporations. I was given work in a very delagtive fashion, which I enjoyed. That being said, I was always given feedback and guidance to make sure I was performing up to expectations.

At times it was difficult to coordinate with some of my mentors due to scheduling conflicts.

I would highly recommend working for this organization based off of all my experiences with this organization.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I really do not have that many complaints. This company has exceeded my expecations as far as treating an intern goes.

An Exceptional Internship
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved working with bodily injury claims and evaluating cases based on medical records and information obtained from the parties involved. I also liked working on various office projects that benefitted the claims representatives and made their jobs more efficient. I also enjoyed the flexible hours, the office culture, and the overall positive attitude that was displayed in the company.

There was very little structure to the internship, a lot of the times I was on my own to find projects. It wasn't always a bad thing, but I'm the type of person who likes having a lot of projects on my plate. The other thing was that the system that the company uses for claims gives interns very limited access which made it hard to help claims representatives with projects.

It's a great company, I'd never pass up an opportunity to work for them full-time.

Advice to Management

The only thing that I would say is that there needs to be more projects specifically designed for interns, maybe a simulation program where interns can handle claims and truly get a handle on what it's like to be a claims representative. Currently, the system that the company uses gives very limited access to the interns which makes it hard for us to truly grasp the concept of handling claims.

A great international experience, with top notch mentors, and a good deal of interesting and challenging projects
Miami, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager has been excellent. She has been so helpful to me and welcoming. She has taught me a lot about both IT and Insurance and I'm incredibly grateful for her patience with me. The second best thing would be the experience working with so many different IT teams in so many different countries. The exposure and visibility I have had has been invaluable.

I'm their first and only intern in Miami. So it has been challenging to be alone. But I have enjoyed the city and my coworkers have been very helpful with me.

It was a great experience for me. Initially I was ambivalent because I was looking for a more technical summer, but the experience in project management and general IT has really opened my eyes to all the different opprortunities available in technology. My first reaction to Liberty Mutual was "oh it's just an insurance company what could they know about IT", but as I have come to find out, the technological backend that enables financial services companies to function nowadays is huge, and it is filled with many interesting challenges waiting to be solved.

Advice to Management

I received great pay and compensation which was a big lure to get me to go to LM versus some of the other offers I had. I think in general I had an awesome experience. My biggest hurdles were bureaucracy, especially when I was developing, there seemed to be a large amount of hoops needed for me to get the resources and access I needed and as time was running out I became a bit stressed I wouldn't complete my projects in time.

Challenging and very rewarding.
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at Liberty Mutual is very positive and inviting.

I often felt stressed by the amount of work I was responsible for.

Liberty Mutual is a great company that is dedicated to its values.

Advice to Management

I think it would be beneficial to know a bit more about the work load we will be experiencing when out on the floor.

Ensuring greast customer service one day at a time
Charlotte, NC | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

co-workers, people I have met, meeting other interns in the building

we didn't have a great room on our floor so we I constantly had to travel to other floors

be a social person

Advice to Management

set more benchmarks for goals. I think this would incentivize more hard work from the claims adjusters

Working, learning, and having fun
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meet several new people to network with

Not having enough work to do

There are a lot of opportunities

Advice to Management

Assign more work and work closely with the interns