Intern at Liberty Mutual Insurance Internship Program? Submit a Review

A+

- Fantastic work environment

- Challenging problems

- Supportive culture

- Organization can be difficult to navigate

Network, network, network

Developing professionally and tecnically while having good work-life balance

Seattle, WA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

+ Lots of development opportunities

+ Very nice and helpful coworkers

+ Attending trainings and events with my Analyst Development Program intern class

+ Lots of team-building events (e.g. outing to Blake Island, team lunches)

+ Not treated as second-class because I'm an intern (I feel heard and respected)

+ Ability to learn anything I want (even if not related to my role)

+ I wasn't thrown out and expected to fend for myself. I always have people checking in on me and resources to access if I need help.

There's nothing I can complain about. People here keep talking about how this is such a great place to work at and I have limited work experience so I don't know how this compares to other workplaces.

+ Work life balance is huge at Liberty. Employees are discouraged from working overtime. After I leave the office, I'm completely untethered to work.

+ I was lucky to be placed on a good team with a great manager. I have a project I enjoy but before starting my internship, I didn't have any input on the kind of work I wanted to do or the team I wanted to be on. This was some of the feedback we gave to our managers so this may be improved, but I can see why it would be hard to figure out projects months in advance before interns start.

Tell me about a time where you had to find a creative solution to a problem.

Development, Learning, and Growth

Great company culture

At times it could be stressful.

Great for people who want to work in a hard working organization with friendly and helpful people.

Advice to Management

Keep on implementing principles that drive employees to work hard, help one another, and do what is in the best interest of the customer.

Name a project that challenged you and how you went about completing it.

An equal alternative to the Big Four.

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being treated as an entry level employee as opposed to an intern.

Occasionally, the work becomes tedious.

Enjoy the benefits of the internship; as an intern, your time is more flexible compared to being full time, so use the time to ask questions, watch others work, and sit in on higher level meetings you would not be able to otherwise.

Opportunity to gain broad business exposure and influence the direction of a major strategic project

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Fantastic work-life balance and great compensation package, especially in relation to quality of life
Interesting, meaningful, and challenging project, output from which will be utilized over the long term to drive business results
Engaging managers who care about your professional development and staff who are more than willing to lend a helping hand

Insurance industry is not terribly dynamic, especially if not working in innovation department or customer advocacy
Large companies can be slow to manage and implement change, which can make progress seem limited at times
Flexible and relatively low-stress work culture can result in perceived lack of urgency around work tasks

Will be difficult to find another opportunity that matches pay and quality of life trade-off
Valuable chance to gain broad business exposure across different business units and functional roles
Previous insurance knowledge is not needed, and the company doesn't expect you to have it
If you are looking for an extremely fast-paced and high-pressure work environment, this company is not for you
Company highly values cultural fit, commitment to the mission, and humility as a personal trait

Advice to Management

Diversity at the most senior levels is lacking - company is undertaking major initiatives to promote diversity, but is still not reflected in the upper ranks
Employee training is heavily focused on computer-based modules, which are not terribly engaging or effective; training opportunities for entry-level field positions that are customer-facing are limited and should be expanded
Lack of coordination across departments can increase duplication of work and result in institutional memory loss as individuals move laterally across the organization

Why do you want to work at this company?
Why are you interested in this specific role?
Standard behavioral questions - "Tell me about a time when..."

Case interview was a 45-minute written case with exhibits, asked interviewee to put together a presentation that included a business analysis and recommendations and share our findings with two interviewers

Learned alot about how coding in the real world for an actual business is handled.

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning a new coding language, seeing how an IT department works in a company, meeting new people!

The intern innovation project, we were told about it many weeks in advance but by the time we got it, it became a waste of time and rushed

To keep an open mind and be ready to learn! I learned a tremendous amount here and loved it!

Supporting sales and benefits team to increase capacity, and learn the culture of the business.

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Corporate xxperience, Learning the process hat Liberty Mutual uses, Being a part of a welcoming community, and gaining knowledge.

There were no cons.

Take notes and don't be afraid to ask questions because everyone is more than willing to help.

Learn about a complex industry while gaining indispensible analytical skills

Boston, MA | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interesting work, great people, lots of intern programming, nice perks

Nothing really, they do a fantastic job

Few people come into this internship knowing anything about the insurance industry so everyone has a lot to learn right off the bat -- be open to it and know that the company takes really good care of you throughout this process, management is really supportive of your personal development and makes sure that you really develop strong skills as an analyst that you can take anywhere.

Advice to Management

We should be allowed to work overtime if necessary. I get the sense that it's really discouraged for interns, but sometimes it's stressful for me because I feel like I can't work overtime when I may need to/the rest of my team is when we have a big project we're working on together with an upcoming deadline.

Provide an example of a project in which you utilized technical analysis

Liberty Mutual Knows How to Develop and Treat Their Interns

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship are the people I work with. Everyone is friendly, engaging, and willing to answer any question that I could possibly have. My boss and my mentor make time in their schedules to meet with me every week to talk through any problems I may be having or to explore potential future opportunities within the company.

The only thing I didn't enjoy about the internship experience was my daily commute. I had to drive 75 minutes to and from work each day. I have no complaints about the experience that Liberty Mutual has provided me. From the interview process and the initial training, to my daily responsibilities, every transition has been smooth and this has allowed me to really thrive in my role within the company.

They place a strong emphasis on recruiting and developing top talent. If you are able to get a job with Liberty and you enjoy your work and do a good job, you will find that there is always a place for you to work within the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Amazing opportunity to gain analytical real world experience

Awesome work life balance

Friendly co-workers

Useful trainings

Real projects and work

Fun intern activities

None there are no cons

Liberty Mutual is an awesome company that cares a lot about its employees

Advice to Management

I think the management I worked under was awesome I would not change a thing

Tell me about a time where you failed.