4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 580 Intern Reviews)

Invaluable experience
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The corporate culture and the environment

Nothing comes to mind

The IT aspect of the company is great and not what I expected. Every position could be yours!

Advice to Management

More training

I loved my Liberty Mutual Internship so much that I don't want it to end until I become a full time employee!
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of my internship was the level of experience I gained. I was given tasks that employees with over 5 years of experience were doing. i was given freedom to execute them but also had a support system to aid me with any questions or issues that I faced. Looking back on my internship, I can truly say that I owned and executed campaigns, tasks, and jobs at a high level.

Honestly, there wasn't anything that I didn't like. The aspect I liked the least was the lack of more organized social interaction for all of the interns. There were some opportunities, especially in the three day conference for rising seniors, but I would have liked to have built my peer to peer network more since I was the only intern in my department. Some departments had 20-40 interns. I would have appreciated getting to know more people who may be my coworkers here one day.

Liberty Mutual is a wonderful company to work for. Their corporate culture and values only highlight the moral integrity of this company. Coworkers are supportive, friendly, and on the younger side. As an intern at this company, you will get serious hands-on experience. if you want an internship where you fetch coffee and do administrative tasks that employees don't want to do, don't come to Liberty Mutual. If you want to reflect on your internship and be able to proudly say you accomplished a lot of tasks on a high level where you effort is respected and valued all while furthering your professional career development, Liberty Mutual is the place to be. I highly recommend this internship program to anyone who is motivated and driven to excel in their career.

Tell me some of the things you have recently done on excel. What are your skills?

Tell me about a time you had to management multiple projects.

What is your biggest strength? Weakness?

Learning Insurance 101
Manchester, NH | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting great people and learning valuable information.

Sometimes it was repetitive, but that is the case anywhere.

Learn as much as you can and grow your network as much as possible.

When was a time when you had to solve a tough problem?

When was a time when you had to take control of a group?

Advice to Management

Keep everybody on the same page.

Making Career Decisions and Lifelong Friends
Austin, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flex schedule since I am in school too.

I least liked the traffic getting there. Overall I loved my internship.

Great employee benefits, welcoming work environment, helpful staff, teamwork is important here, and the diverse group of careers within one organization.

Advice to Management

a true devleopment program, both personally and professionally
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

ample training classes, paid time off, lots of perks: yacht ride, trip to boston, ice cream days, happy hours..., happy/busy work enviroment, so many pros

some training classes were a bit repetitive of things I've already learned in school, but overall useful.

You will be busy, get to know your coworkers and fellow interns. The non competitve intern enviroment is very nice, everyone is friends and we all hangout on the weekend.

behavioral questions + case interview + job shadow + lunch with the department.

ex: describe a difficult problem and how you overcame it

describe a time when someone else on your team wanted to take a different course of action and how you handled the situation

Advice to Management

consider offering better benefits in regards to continuing education instead of higher compensation.

Liberty Mutual: Great Pay, Amazing Opportunities.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

A few best aspects of my internship included great compensation, an open work schedule (you can come in anytime between 7-9, and leave between 3-5), being treated the same as a full time associate, and a meaningful internship experience where I made great networking opportunities and actually learned transferable skills.

I did not enjoy working in the Claims department, as most of the job concerns calling claimants and medical professionals.

Liberty is a fantastic place to work once you get your foot in the door, I did not enjoy my actual position but feel that the company itself is incredibe. I look forward to transfering to a different department next year, and am very excited for the future opportunities my manager and operations manager have advised me on. You could not ask for a better place to work, people care about you, you are paid well, and you can come and go whenever as long as you get your work done. The workload itself was definitely managable, with strict company guidelines of working no more than 37.5 hours a week. Liberty cares greatly about its interns

-Tell us about a time you had to give hard news to another individual. What did you say and how did they handle it?

-What is your biggest weakness?

Advice to Management

The only advice I could give Liberty is to expand on the training program. I was given many opportunities to work on complex claims and make complex decisions, although I was only supposed to work on 'simple' claims. I really enjoyed this, because I was able to go above and beyond my role, although I had to learn a lot of stuff outside of my training class. I would advise a split training program that covers simple actions and procedures such as ICP's amd EDM's for one week, a one week introductory break to get to know one's team and mentor, then a second week of training for claim approvals and handling complex icps.

If you want to feel valued, come intern at Liberty Mutual
Harrisburg, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, work environment, and opportunity for growth. For exceptional interns that the company is interested in hiring they have an all-expense paid trip to Boston at the end of the summer.

Not enough work at times

Liberty Mutual truly is all about responsibility. If you are a dedicated and responsible person, Liberty Mutual will treat you well.

Give me an example of a time when you were put in a situation where you had to think on your feet.

What was your favorite job and why, and what was your least favorite job, and why?

Real Hands-on work
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I like doing account recs.

I liked everything about my job

You have the opportunity to do real work. It is meaningful and you feel good that you are contributing.

Describe a time you had issues working with others?

What are process improvements that you saw to improve during your job?

Advice to Management

I am happy with all of the above listed.

Great experience, excellent company, amazing time: My Internship.
Charlotte, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work was challenging, but not to the point of being unable to do it. It gave me great experience and helped me understand much more about the operation.

The only complaint might be the fact that is was a 35-40 minute trip each way, but that really does not have to do with the internship itself.

Be yourself. Sounds cheesy, but it's true. There is no need to feel like you have to say the right things or anything because people at the company are so genuinely nice. Ask questions too. The more questions you ask, the more you'll learn and the more connections you'll make.

A summer of fun, learning and real work experience.
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to do "real" work and being able to work and collaborate with so many people around the company.

There was nothing I disliked about the internship.

Although Liberty Mutual might be an insurance company, there's a place for everyone. No matter what your background or education is, there's a place where everyone can grow, learn and make a real impact within the company.