Kimberly Clark Co-op/Intern Program

Great mentoring, great people, hard work but a lot of fun
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think the best thing about my co-op so far is that the company has given me a great mentor and has paid for me to get the training I need in order to succeed. I also love that they have a health center that is free to use for any KC employee and I have taken full advantage of that. I have made friendships that I hope will last a lifetime and met so many different and interesting people. There is so much to do in Fox Valley that it is really easy to balance work and fun. And KC pays their co-ops and interns very well, which allows us all to take advantage of the fun things that the Fox Valley has to offer.

There are times when my mentor and other senior engineers are just too busy to help me out or guide me with my projects, which sometimes makes work difficult.

KC is a great place to work. The projects are challenging but interesting and it is really an exciting feeling to see your project all the way through from start to finish and from design to reality. Everyone that I work with treats me like a co-worker and not just another college kid, which feels good when trying to establish yourself at work. KC provides each intern/co-op with their own mentor that they report to, get projects from, and most importantly, get help from. My mentor has been extremely helpful and has taught me a lot about Kimberly-Clark and about electrical engineering in general. I know that other co-ops and interns would say the same about their mentors as well.

Advice to Management

Compensation is more than enough, especially for a college kid trying to pay off school and other bills. The hours are amazing and during summer you can leave any time you want to on Fridays as long as you have worked 40 hours. I think overall KC has exceeded my expectations in terms of management and being a great place to work. There are small things and hoops to jump through when trying to complete a project, but those things are in place for safety reasons and I know that and respect that.

Great work environment, real and impactful projects, and an incredible learning opportunity
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were all so friendly, knowledgable, and willing to share their time and expertise with me. I got to work on real, impactful projects for KC. It wasn't your typical intern busy-work.

Paper products aren't the most interesting of consumer products. Even though my focus was on the manufacturing equipment, the fact that it all circled back to diapers or training pants made the work a bit less engaging.

KC is a fantastic place to work period. It is an incredibly collaborative work environment where people not only care about improving the business but about improving the lives of every person who uses a Kimberly-Clark product. And no matter how high or low you are in the company, you know you are making significant contributions. Even as an intern people listened to my ideas and respected me as an engineer. KC also puts a lot of emphasis on helping its employees through the classes and seminars they offer and the huge emphasis they put on safety. There is also plenty of options to move around in the company whether it is to a different location, a different product line, or a totally different function of the business. You can stay within the company but still work on a huge variety of projects.

Advice to Management

An annual training for managers/mentors might be helpful. Often times its been a few years since a manager has had a co-op, or the management is simply not aware of recent changes to the co-op program, and it can be confusing for first-term co-ops when they hear conflicting messages from the HR staff and their managers.

Accurate experience in the manucafturing and converting industry.
Little Rock, AR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I greatly appreciated the operators taking initiative to help me out with various tasks.

I did not like that there was no quiet place or time to get to know the operators. However, this is a condition that engineers must learn to work with.

An Engineering Co-Op term at Kimberly-Clark will get you real experience as an engineer in the manufacturing industry. That means you will work on projects, both short-term and long-term that improve the efficiency and quality of the existing processes. These processes not only involve the machinery but also the procedures which people carry out.

For Process Engineers: Know Microsoft Ecxel

For Mechanical Engineers: Know SolidWorks

Advice to Management

Keep improving. - I am confident that this term was better than the last and the next term will be better than this one.

Perhaps establish a company directory that is organized by plant and departments.

Solving Real Engineering Problems While Still Learning New Skills And Techniques
Augusta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The flexibility of works hours, and getting whatever help you need

Sometimes communication can be slow

You get what you put in. If you desire more challenging work there is always more that can be done.

Always something to learn
Mobile, AL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being close to home

Not being able to visit other mills

It is easy to feel at home here because everyone is so friendly/helpful. Mill located only 1 hour from several beaches. This mill has alot of growing potential.

College student works on $20 million dollar project, makes a difference!
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being invlolved with such a great work force and getting to know the people.

.nothing,,,,

KC is among the best manufacturing companies to work for. They are flexible and have an enticing benefits package.

Interested in Career Development with a leading consumer brand company? Kimberly-Clark is the place for you!

The Culture.

Didn't travel.

Be open minded and willing to learn. I never stopped learning at KC!

The Kimberly Clark Experience -- Everyone should try it! We all need it!

Flexibility

The unorganized requirements of co-ops job roles as well as unorganized items mentors are suppose to teach you.

The positives out weigh the negatives, lots of nice people, great flexibility, a company that makes products that we will always need the company will always have customers to sell to.

Advice to Management

Better compenstation. More organized training for the mentors to give the co-ops.

Kimberly-Clark offers a great opportunity for undertaking a real, meaningful internship project
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of leeway and responsibility we were given. I was not only expected to come up with ideas or recommendations, but also to execute the recommendations before the end of my term.

Long drive from downtown ATL (40 minutes).

Don't expect to be led by the hand; take initiative and you'll do great.

A really useful co-op experience
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Diversity of projects, actually doing engineering work and not just what my mentor doesn't have time to do. Having ownership of my projects and the ability to work at my own pace with my own ideas and not structured to one way of thinking

Near the end of summer some fulltime empolyees are tired of answer co-ops questions

Come prepared to work hard because this isn't just a typical internship. You will be busy for 8-10 hours everyday doing real work and not just getting coffee for your boss