Kimberly Clark Co-op/Intern Program

Great work environment, real and impactful projects, and an incredible learning opportunity
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were all so friendly, knowledgable, and willing to share their time and expertise with me. I got to work on real, impactful projects for KC. It wasn't your typical intern busy-work.

Paper products aren't the most interesting of consumer products. Even though my focus was on the manufacturing equipment, the fact that it all circled back to diapers or training pants made the work a bit less engaging.

KC is a fantastic place to work period. It is an incredibly collaborative work environment where people not only care about improving the business but about improving the lives of every person who uses a Kimberly-Clark product. And no matter how high or low you are in the company, you know you are making significant contributions. Even as an intern people listened to my ideas and respected me as an engineer. KC also puts a lot of emphasis on helping its employees through the classes and seminars they offer and the huge emphasis they put on safety. There is also plenty of options to move around in the company whether it is to a different location, a different product line, or a totally different function of the business. You can stay within the company but still work on a huge variety of projects.

Advice to Management

An annual training for managers/mentors might be helpful. Often times its been a few years since a manager has had a co-op, or the management is simply not aware of recent changes to the co-op program, and it can be confusing for first-term co-ops when they hear conflicting messages from the HR staff and their managers.

Project based CO-OP within a team of engineers
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The location is relatively close to home and school. There are many other interns working at the same time so it is not hard to meet people here. Relaxed work place, no one gets on you for asking questions.

I would like to be more incorporated into the larger projects and not do so much of the beginners work all of the time. It is hard to stay awake during meetings when you are not involved with anything that is going on.

Kimberly Clark is a great place to work if you are an outgoing person. The atmosphere around the office is excellent. It is not frowned upon to speak with managers or anyone of a higher seniority, and they are even helpful in preparing you to maybe one day take their position. This is not a cutthroat environment, which in turn also affects your ability to move up in the company quickly. To move up quickly you would need to accept moving from one state to another fairly often.

Advice to Management

It is talked about that Kimberly Clark has a very competitive starting salary, but as you stay with the company, you must be willing to move or you will not be able to move up into higher positions and that if you do not do this they are uncompetitive in raises. It would be nice to get this clarified or even just know who to speak with on this subject.

Real hands on experience in engineering field at Kimberly-Clark Corp.
Little Rock, AR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Flexsible work hours when needed

- Competitive salary

- Exellent work environment

I can't think of anything.

You will be able to work on real projects that are influencing day-to-day products that are consumed by many many people.

Project Efficiency
Salt Lake City, UT | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay and the experience.

Traveling to location and half of my projects being boring.

Be confident and stay focused. Finish your given work then ask for more. Your bosses will love you.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate your co-ops. Most of them can handle much more work and responsibility than you give them. And this is coming from a 5-term co-op.

Good experience, culture, and work
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Opportunities to travel and general supportive K-C culture

There seems to be a lot of variability with quality of mentors. Some people get lucky with great mentors and teams while others do not. I also didn't love the work I was doing this summer.

^ this question is phrased confusingly.

I would recommend that they work with K-C because it's a great company and they give you valuable work experience.

Advice to Management

There is a discrepancy with overtime - some interns get as much overtime as they want, while others need to work overtime but aren't allowed to take credit for it.

Opportunity to get experience doing actual engineering work in the field of Controls. Company has great CO-OP program.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Laid back, cheap apartment, manager and mentor were both helpful, pay was middle of the road but still a positive.

Lots of red tape to jump through to get anything done. The town is very small with very little to do outside of work.

KC values strong working relationships. Knowing people will help you get work done faster.

Full time responsibilities and real world experience
Knoxville, TN | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Gaining real life / real world experiences. There have been lots of opportunities for learning. The work enviornment is pleasing and everyone is helpful and friendly.

No issues at this time

Do the internship

Exciting, Challenging, and Rewarding
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my internship was that I was able to network with so many people in the company and touch so many facets of business from customers, marketing research, packaging, strategy, channel teams, etc..

The internship is fast paced and you get meaty projects. Sometimes the projects felt too big to get accomplished in 12 weeks.

My advice to interns about this potential employer is that if you want to see/work in small town America for a big CPG firm that will give you a ton of opportunity and experience then KC is for you. If you need the big city life then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have to management is to define the scope of your projects so that they are not so big that the work is overwhelming.

Great learning experience and opportunity for career development and growth
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being on a customer team and being able to do actual work for the company.

The group project and the fact that sales offices were in suburbs, not the city that was mentioned in offer letter.

It is important to consider company culture. Culture at K-C can not be beat. It is a great place to work and everyone on the team is very helpful.

A real-world experience with great pay and networking with brilliant people
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-Flexible hours during Summer (and in general, from what I hear)

-Very intelligent people that offer their knowlege from past experiences

-Personally, my assignmnents/objectives related well to the engineering industry; real-world experience

-Traveling (some may find this a positive; I would prefer not to)

As an intership, this offers a great experience to start a young career anywhere (based on my engineering co-op). Take everything seriously and professional, all the way from the initial interview to your final presentation. It appears the students who exceed are the ones who put every effort into their project possible. The ones who are average or below average do not take their projects seriously or professionally.

Advice to Management

-Communicate better with the co-ops between accepted offer after interview through the first week of work. At one point a few weeks before I started work here, I wasn't even sure if I still had a job (even though I accepted an offer)

-Certain aspects of the position that I accepted were not true, some positive some negative; I believe some of this was due to personnel changes/shifts within the company. From the time I accepted the job offer until I started work, I had (3) manager changes. I think this also contributed to the miscommunication prior to starting work.