Kimberly Clark Co-op/Intern Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #7 Best Internships for Marketing & Communications Majors

Highly recommended opportunity for anyone interested in personal care products
Milwaukee, WI | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture is great and relaxed, the pay is competitive, and they really take care of their co-ops and interns. I've done this summer internship twice and both my mentors have been very supportive. There are lots of co-op activities for anyone that wants to go out and get involved and have fun. Once you're in the co-op program, as long as you don't slack off, it seems pretty easy to get a job if you want it.

The only thing I didn't like about this term was that my project wasn't technically challenging in the ways I'm looking for. It was difficult and a little frustrating because what I was asked to study doesn't have reliable ways to quantitatively measure it because of how variable it is. But chemical engineering knowledge didn't help me. The only skills I used were basic problem solving skills, basic data analysis skills, and Microsoft Excel skills.

If you're a chemical engineer, you might be able to use most of the stuff you spent years learning in school. I think electrical and mechanical engineers probably get a better experience that way. But if that doesn't bother you, then I highly recommend interning/working here. It's a stable company with lots of opportunities, competitive pay, and a great culture.

Excellent learning opportunity
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Career development, learning, networking

Housing situation

Fantastic work-life balance. Supportive and nurturing environment

A great opportunity with meaningful experience and a extremely pleasant workspace
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I am currently a new intern, but so far the best aspects are the projects I am looking forward to completing along with the people that are around to mentor and have great experience.

I am currently a new intern, so I have no cons to report at this time.

Advice so far would be to build strong relationships with your mentors.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for the management currently.

Kimberly Clark provided stellar training through their internship program at the mill for mechanical engineers
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had the priveldge of working on a team that really cared about me and took me in as their own. They treated me like a full time hire, but understood that there were tasks that I couldn't/didn't know how to do and aided me in that. My team leader was fully invested in building my talent but trusted me enough to allow me to work on my projects without hovering. We had monthly one on ones that gave me project feedback and areas where I should check and adjust my work load so I always knew where I was as far as expections and performance. The senior manager and mill manager were also always avaliable for questions or just to catch up on how the day was going. I alwasy enjoyed coming to work. The work I am doing is meaningful and will actually make a difference for Kimberly-Clark which also made the job fullfilling.

Working with all males sometimes put me into situations that were the worst part of my internship. One of the other coops was very disrespectful to me because I was a woman in a male dominated field so I was always uncomfortable around him. Thankfully although we were in the same department, I did not work with him often.

If you were coming to my location, I would suggest living with a full time hire who is willing to rent out a room to you. Otherwise, it is very expensive.

Advice to Management

I have two suggestions: provide housing options for the coops. My brother cooped with a company who owned a housing complex and rented out to the coops through payroll deductions. And secondly, lay out how overtime pay is expected to work. I work a lot of overtime because I have projects to work on, but I am always unsure of what the policy on it is.

Great mentoring, great people, hard work but a lot of fun
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I think the best thing about my co-op so far is that the company has given me a great mentor and has paid for me to get the training I need in order to succeed. I also love that they have a health center that is free to use for any KC employee and I have taken full advantage of that. I have made friendships that I hope will last a lifetime and met so many different and interesting people. There is so much to do in Fox Valley that it is really easy to balance work and fun. And KC pays their co-ops and interns very well, which allows us all to take advantage of the fun things that the Fox Valley has to offer.

There are times when my mentor and other senior engineers are just too busy to help me out or guide me with my projects, which sometimes makes work difficult.

KC is a great place to work. The projects are challenging but interesting and it is really an exciting feeling to see your project all the way through from start to finish and from design to reality. Everyone that I work with treats me like a co-worker and not just another college kid, which feels good when trying to establish yourself at work. KC provides each intern/co-op with their own mentor that they report to, get projects from, and most importantly, get help from. My mentor has been extremely helpful and has taught me a lot about Kimberly-Clark and about electrical engineering in general. I know that other co-ops and interns would say the same about their mentors as well.

Advice to Management

Compensation is more than enough, especially for a college kid trying to pay off school and other bills. The hours are amazing and during summer you can leave any time you want to on Fridays as long as you have worked 40 hours. I think overall KC has exceeded my expectations in terms of management and being a great place to work. There are small things and hoops to jump through when trying to complete a project, but those things are in place for safety reasons and I know that and respect that.

Great work environment, real and impactful projects, and an incredible learning opportunity
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were all so friendly, knowledgable, and willing to share their time and expertise with me. I got to work on real, impactful projects for KC. It wasn't your typical intern busy-work.

Paper products aren't the most interesting of consumer products. Even though my focus was on the manufacturing equipment, the fact that it all circled back to diapers or training pants made the work a bit less engaging.

KC is a fantastic place to work period. It is an incredibly collaborative work environment where people not only care about improving the business but about improving the lives of every person who uses a Kimberly-Clark product. And no matter how high or low you are in the company, you know you are making significant contributions. Even as an intern people listened to my ideas and respected me as an engineer. KC also puts a lot of emphasis on helping its employees through the classes and seminars they offer and the huge emphasis they put on safety. There is also plenty of options to move around in the company whether it is to a different location, a different product line, or a totally different function of the business. You can stay within the company but still work on a huge variety of projects.

Advice to Management

An annual training for managers/mentors might be helpful. Often times its been a few years since a manager has had a co-op, or the management is simply not aware of recent changes to the co-op program, and it can be confusing for first-term co-ops when they hear conflicting messages from the HR staff and their managers.

Project based CO-OP within a team of engineers
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The location is relatively close to home and school. There are many other interns working at the same time so it is not hard to meet people here. Relaxed work place, no one gets on you for asking questions.

I would like to be more incorporated into the larger projects and not do so much of the beginners work all of the time. It is hard to stay awake during meetings when you are not involved with anything that is going on.

Kimberly Clark is a great place to work if you are an outgoing person. The atmosphere around the office is excellent. It is not frowned upon to speak with managers or anyone of a higher seniority, and they are even helpful in preparing you to maybe one day take their position. This is not a cutthroat environment, which in turn also affects your ability to move up in the company quickly. To move up quickly you would need to accept moving from one state to another fairly often.

Advice to Management

It is talked about that Kimberly Clark has a very competitive starting salary, but as you stay with the company, you must be willing to move or you will not be able to move up into higher positions and that if you do not do this they are uncompetitive in raises. It would be nice to get this clarified or even just know who to speak with on this subject.

Real hands on experience in engineering field at Kimberly-Clark Corp.
Little Rock, AR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Flexsible work hours when needed

- Competitive salary

- Exellent work environment

I can't think of anything.

You will be able to work on real projects that are influencing day-to-day products that are consumed by many many people.

Project Efficiency
Salt Lake City, UT | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The pay and the experience.

Traveling to location and half of my projects being boring.

Be confident and stay focused. Finish your given work then ask for more. Your bosses will love you.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate your co-ops. Most of them can handle much more work and responsibility than you give them. And this is coming from a 5-term co-op.

Enriching Experience to Propel You Into a Future Career
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The freedom to drive your projects in a directions that you saw fit. While mentoring is provided by your superiors, they provide you with projects that require critical thinking that really challenge you and causes you to grow professionally.

Onboarding process could be imrpoved, especially with housing arrangements.

Ensure constant contact with recruiter - they are great resources to getting housing and ensuring a smooth onboaring process. Make sure to really listen to everyone you network with and network OFTEN. Working for KC will open numerous doors for you.