Kimberly Clark Co-op/Intern Program Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #7 Best Internships for Marketing & Communications Majors

Date: 2013

Kimberly Clark provided stellar training through their internship program at the mill for mechanical engineers

I had the priveldge of working on a team that really cared about me and took me in as their own. They treated me like a full time hire, but understood that there were tasks that I couldn't/didn't know how to do and aided me in that. My team leader was fully invested in building my talent but trusted me enough to allow me to work on my projects without hovering. We had monthly one on ones that gave me project feedback and areas where I should check and adjust my work load so I always knew where I was as far as expections and performance. The senior manager and mill manager were also always avaliable for questions or just to catch up on how the day was going. I alwasy enjoyed coming to work. The work I am doing is meaningful and will actually make a difference for Kimberly-Clark which also made the job fullfilling.

Working with all males sometimes put me into situations that were the worst part of my internship. One of the other coops was very disrespectful to me because I was a woman in a male dominated field so I was always uncomfortable around him. Thankfully although we were in the same department, I did not work with him often.

If you were coming to my location, I would suggest living with a full time hire who is willing to rent out a room to you. Otherwise, it is very expensive.

Advice to Management

I have two suggestions: provide housing options for the coops. My brother cooped with a company who owned a housing complex and rented out to the coops through payroll deductions. And secondly, lay out how overtime pay is expected to work. I work a lot of overtime because I have projects to work on, but I am always unsure of what the policy on it is.

Date: 2013

Highly recommended opportunity for anyone interested in personal care products

The culture is great and relaxed, the pay is competitive, and they really take care of their co-ops and interns. I've done this summer internship twice and both my mentors have been very supportive. There are lots of co-op activities for anyone that wants to go out and get involved and have fun. Once you're in the co-op program, as long as you don't slack off, it seems pretty easy to get a job if you want it.

The only thing I didn't like about this term was that my project wasn't technically challenging in the ways I'm looking for. It was difficult and a little frustrating because what I was asked to study doesn't have reliable ways to quantitatively measure it because of how variable it is. But chemical engineering knowledge didn't help me. The only skills I used were basic problem solving skills, basic data analysis skills, and Microsoft Excel skills.

If you're a chemical engineer, you might be able to use most of the stuff you spent years learning in school. I think electrical and mechanical engineers probably get a better experience that way. But if that doesn't bother you, then I highly recommend interning/working here. It's a stable company with lots of opportunities, competitive pay, and a great culture.

Date: 2013

Student given opportunity to experience workplace and learn and grow as a professional!

My internship has allowed me to experience what the actual work place will be like upon graduation. I have had the opportunity to learn to communicate with other professionals effectively and to grow as a member of the company. Having a mentor to answer questions and provide feedback has been tremendously useful. This experience has instilled confidence in me that I do have the abilities to contribute to my field. The hours are very flexible and the pay is great. The people are very nice and encouraging. For the most part I feel that the work is interesting and fairly challenging.

Because my internship has only been a few months, I don't feel that I really know what I'm doing yet. More time here would help me to understand the standards and policies of my company, and allow me to work more independently. For the most part I do feel that I am respected and treated as a full-time employee, but occasionally I don't feel like I'm being taken seriously.

My coop experience has been a great opportunity to learn and grow in my field. Not only have I had the opportunity to contribute to the company and learn about the workplace, I have some great work experience and most likely a job offer. My company is very encouraging to coops, and I generally feel respected and important.

Advice to Management

It would have been helpful to have more of an understanding of the mill as a whole. I didn't ever know which projects were happening and who/what they involved. A more organized training of each person and the role they played would have been helpful.

Date: 2013

Kimberly-Clark provides unforgettable opportunities you will not find elsewhere, and experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime.

The best aspect of my internship is the exposure I have to the highest level of decision making. I've created a presentation for our CFO and have been given opportunities to participate in calls with our top 100 leaders in the organization. Being exposed to each high level aspect of this business, whether it be finance, one of our amazing brands' marketing strategies or innovation calls, has given me valuable insight I will never forget. I also had the opportunity to travel to Dallas last year for our Global Communications Summit. The fact they were willing to include me as an intern, shows how valuable each and every team member is to their function at K-C.

I truly do not have anything I would say I liked least about this internship. Everything I have done and experienced has led me to a valuable conclusion.

Often times when evaluating employers, you take into consideration pay, location and many other factors that seem important on face value. But, when you look a little deeper, it's the opportunities that are available to you that translate into the experience you can put on your resume. After a while, that long list of valuable experience will be what gets you to the job with the best pay, and ideal location. Kimberly-Clark gives you these opportunities, and many more in ways that other employers simply do not. Not only that, but it is a truly amazing place to work. Think about all of the opportunities you are hungry to have, the experiences you need to land that dream job -- and realize that this, not pay or location, should be the basis for your decision. Kimberly-Clark is a place for those who always want to learn something new; for those who want to be a part of something bigger; and for those who know that opportunity, not pay is the real value in the work that you do.

Advice to Management

Bring younger talent into the discussions regarding innovation, and marketing. Growing up with all of these things surrounding everything we do, we may have more valuable insight than you think.

Experiancing the Responsibilitys of the Work World

Everybody is nice and quite helpful. There is a lot of respect and camraderie amongts the workers.

Communication for the first day was a little rocky.

Don't be afraid of asking too many questions; there are no such things.

Date: 2013

Full time responsibilities and real world experience

Gaining real life / real world experiences. There have been lots of opportunities for learning. The work enviornment is pleasing and everyone is helpful and friendly.

No issues at this time

Do the internship

Exciting, Challenging, and Rewarding

The best aspects of my internship was that I was able to network with so many people in the company and touch so many facets of business from customers, marketing research, packaging, strategy, channel teams, etc..

The internship is fast paced and you get meaty projects. Sometimes the projects felt too big to get accomplished in 12 weeks.

My advice to interns about this potential employer is that if you want to see/work in small town America for a big CPG firm that will give you a ton of opportunity and experience then KC is for you. If you need the big city life then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have to management is to define the scope of your projects so that they are not so big that the work is overwhelming.

A Challenging Experience to Learn and Grow

The people I worked with, the projects I was assigned, the responsibility I was given, the opportunity to travel with my team, and the effort of multiple people to invest in me during my time here.

Not being able to spend more time with the co-ops.

Kimberly Clark values it's co-op program more than most companies I have seen. They invest in you as if you were a real employee and want to give you opportunities to succeed, but more importantly want to see you grow in character, leadership, and as a professional. You will have real projects with real responsibility but with the support of your mentor, manager, team, the co-op community, as well as several other random people within the company. It is an experience not to be missed.

Advice to Management

More visibility from people higher in the company.

Date: 2013

Kimberly-Clark offers students mentoring and technical skill development for accelerated career development

Working with all of the people at Kimberly-Clark was the best part. Everyone here is so flexible and ready to help! They genuinely care about you as an employee, as a person, and as a student trying to gain experience.

Sometimes while planning things a long way out I would need to find work to do to occupy my time as I waited. These "filler" projects were interesting but did not contribute to my overall objectives.

Don't focus on what you are doing as much as who you will be working with. The people are what make the job fun, not the work itself.

Challenge That Rewards

Getting to go hands-on with a very complex process and actually work with a team to optimize the processes.

Having to wake up early

Be prepared to get to work ASAP. There's a lot to learn and little time to learn ir, but the teams are great and help in any way possible.