Intern at Hallmark Summer Intenship Program ? Submit a Review

Editorial Intern

66044, KS | March 2015 | FORMER INTERN

I got to work closely with editors, writers, and artists of various sorts. I was treated as a full-time professional rather than as an intern, and my ideas were always considered valuable input. I was encouraged to do things better sometimes but was always given constructive feedback and enough support. Ultimately it made me realize how much I wanted to be in the work world because I liked being treated like an important part of the team rather than as "just a student" or as the intern. I did meaningful work that went into real cards (that I later got to see in stores!) and really learned a lot about editorial work in general. Also, the pay is really good, particularly for a writing/editorial position.

There was definitely no hand-holding in this internship, which I liked but could be a downside for others. The first day is sort of a whirlwind and it can be really overwhelming. You're expected to network with EVERYONE it feels like (you literally have a list to get through by the end of the summer) and it feels like there's never enough time to get things done. That being said, none of these ended up being negatives for me, they were just the more stressful parts of learning during this internships. Overall I had a great experience.

Comments

Make sure anything you submit/say is family appropriate. Hallmark is actually pretty liberal (i.e.: unlike a lot of "family companies" it's super LGBT friendly) but definitely avoid using sexual content or bad language in submissions for your portfolio. It won't go over well.

Loving what you do. Every day, Every hour, Every person.

Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internal connections, job flexibility, opportunity for advancement, networking with executives, and being valued by all.

There isn't anything to dislike, working is just an adjustment in all measures from being a student.

If you want to feel as if you belong from day 1, this is the place to be. You may not always have the right answer but you're encouraged to speak up and contribute in any way. Family is always first and smiling isn't an option! You'll love what you do and enjoy the people around you even more.

Advice to Management

As a Millennial, I value sleeping a little later and feel most productive around the hours of 5-7pm. I think just encouraging this type of work week in younger generations could provide more productivity in the long run. The key to doing this is ensuring certain meetings are just attempted to be scheduled in the middle of the day for all generations to be present.

Making Cards & Connections at the Multi-Million Dollar Level

Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone has been so kind, from offering to network and sharing their knowledge to simply wanting to know us and all about us. I like the work, but even more than that, I like the environment in which I've done that work.

Nothing to do with the company itself; for me the logistics of living in KC were a little wonky but that's personal.

Bring a car, if you can; it makes it easier to explore the city and hang out with the other interns.

Advice to Management

I think Hallmark is a wonderful place to work; everyone is beyond kind to the interns and the hours (though always hovering around 40 hours a week) seem to be flexible enough so that if you wanted to work from 7-3 you could, or 9-5 you could. This company tries to take care of its employees as people, inspiring a kind of company loyalty that I imagine to be really quite rare. I also like what the brand stands for, nothing fancy, but straightforward and unchanging and just plain nice.

The Best Summer Internship

Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the people in my department

not knowing about an offer until the last couple of days of the internship

Be open and take advantage of every opportunity to meet new people within Hallmark

Strategic analysis and business development. Work with a team of full time employees to help with real projects going on in the company

responsibility and compensation

adjusting to 9-5 work day

if companies recruit at your university make sure to go to all events they bring to your school

Advice to Management

keep it up

Best engineers in the most unsuspecting places

Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Not being treated as just an intern. My ideas and work really made an impact with the company.

I wish the length of the internship was longer.

Come in to the job with an open mind, work hard and you will suceed.

Fulfilling dream job for creative writers.

Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

All of the creative writing opportunities

being far away from my home state of Indiana

Hallmark is a creative, flexible, wonderful company to work for. Do not take it for granted - enjoy every minute of it and give every project your all!

Intern develops and implements new business process

Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were that I got to develop solutions to important problems that would actually be used. I was not fetching coffee or dry cleaning every day. I also loved the fact that I got to do so many different things and experience so many different parts of the business. I was worried about the classic business aspect of sitting in a cube all day staring at a computer monitor, but I had so many different tasks and meetings that I was always running around learning new things. It kept each day interesting and different.

The thing I liked the least was the mid summer feedback. I would have liked to have more frequent feedback perhaps three or even four times throughout the summer, so I could have developed myself further.

If you are interesed in diversifying yourself by your experience definitely intern at Hallmark. No matter what your project is you will gain such amazing experience and make an actual impact on the business. So many companies use interns for grunt work or simple things that need to get done, but Hallmark makes sure every action is important and valued, not only by its interns, but also for its full time employees.

Advice to Management

I think the interns should be salaried. I know there is probalby a reason that we are not that I don't understand, but as an intern it makes more sense. Right now we make x dollars/hour and I could tell a worry for HR was people working overtime. None of us expected to get paid for working from home, but I'm assuming it was an issue before if HR was worried about it. I feel that this could be eradicated by salaring the interns.

Additionally, I wish HR or the managers would make a list of document of skills the intern could brush up on before they started. I contacted my manager before the start date of the internship to see if there was anything I could do and I was glad I did because they told me a bit more about my department, to brush up on my Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel and important things to bring on the first day. It seems simple, but I hadn't thought of those suggestions and feel that it should be standard protocol for the manager or HR to prepare something or expect the intern to initiate contact and request it.

Hallmark, where even as an intern you can belong

Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was how I was treated as a member of my team, not an intern.

The pay is not as high as other IT internships.

Be professional and be able to adapt to different programming languages and systems. Being able to get out of your comfort zone to work on something new is valuable.

Advice to Management

The compensation could be better for IT interns.

Testing is important

Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part was being able to forge new territory for the department. I took a tool that no one knew how to use, taught myself how to use it, built tests that will go into production, communicated with the vendor to make the tool work with certain programs, and then taught others how to use it as well.

Since my responsibility was to assist with testing, there was a lot of down time. If the developers are stuck and nothing is being completed, there is nothing to test. I spent a lot of time trying to find something for myself to do. I'd rather always be busy.

The people here are great! Everyone is friendly, willing to help you, and wants you to do well. Best of all, you will receive an actual assignment that will add value to your team's project or the company, so it's a great experience overall.

Advice to Management

I might suggest making a list of things that each intern will need access to and getting that for them before they start. The first couple of weeks, I was always on the helpline trying to get access to something, so that I could do my work.