Hallmark Summer Intenship Program

Challenging work, Great location, Awesome People, Amazing experience.
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture at Hallmark is one of a kind. The people are so amazing and genuinely nice. You can tell that they want you to succeed and they want to help you in any way they can. Numerous times I was told that there were no stupid questions, and I was encouraged to speak my mind, ask anything I wanted, and to learn as much as I could within my department and outside my department. Even people that were in no way involved in my projects would come by my desk just to say hi, see how I was doing, or even invite me to lunch. Many of them, upon finding out that I was new to Kansas City would give me suggestions on things to do and places to see. Everyone always made sure that I was getting the most out of my time not only at Hallmark, but in Kansas City. It's such an inviting atmosphere that it's difficult to come away thinking anything negative of the people or the culture.

Other internships I looked at provided a place to stay or a larger stipend to help with room and boarding costs.I will say though that these other places were either in the middle of nowhere towns or in cities with more cons than pros. While Hallmark doesn't give as much, they do give enough to still enjoy life in Kansas City.

There is no other place that can rival Hallmark's people, culture, and location. The company cares about it's employees, and that includes interns, and they make it known from the get go. I don't know of many other companies that will have the President and CEO greet the interns on their first day. Or have a panel comprised of the companies leaders where interns can ask any question they'd like. Hallmark cares not only about your professional development, but also your social development with various events throughout the summer where you can get to know other interns and other employees. I felt completely taken care of and can honestly say I didn't have one bad day during my time there. I wouldn't replace or change my experience for anything in the world.

Advice to Management

The only thing I would say is that compensation is a bit lower than other internships. However, the pros outweigh this one con. Even with lower pay, I'd still choose Hallmark over any other company.

New Grad Prefers Breadth to Depth; Creates Amazing New Products!
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The projects were really fun and very relevant to my interests and area of study. The people are very laid back and friendly. Also, TONS of available resources.

The current industry is a little shaky, but we are branching out so NOW is the time for young bloods like me to change the flow of the company!

Let your creativity flow! it's all about creativity there. Have an idea? speak up! Go for it!

Advice to Management

Have a list of project that WE can pick from.

A summer proving that Life is a Special Occasion
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with interns from all different departments (creative, marketing, engineers)

Seeing Hallmark Inc. shrink over the course of the summer

The atmosphere at Hallmark is one of caring people. You can tell they are a greeting card company; people always want to make you smile or feel at home.

Liberating Experience in the
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship was the intern community and the energy and open attitudes of my coworkers.

There was not much I didn't enjoy. I had a very good experience overall.

My advice to other potential interns would be to go there ready to inspire others. This company is looking forward and is open to new and fresh ideas.

Summer full of growth and encouraged activities
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The corporate culture- everyone was extremely encouraging and pushed me to my greatest potential.

location- not a huge fan of Kansas City

You will not find a better internship experience then the one you would receive at Hallmark.

Advice to Management

Nothing- they are doing a fantastic job!!

Print Production Internship Takes The Cake!
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work at my own pace, allowed all resources needed to help me complete my projects, interaction between other departments, flexibility, pay, relevance to my field of study, get a better understanding of the company, project relevance, management critique (mid-summer and end-of-summer)...

No interaction with other interns (only intern at the Lawrence Production Center), intern activities were focused on the interns in Kansas City, there was no help in suggesting/helping to find housing (the "Realtor" suggested didn't want to be bothered and didn't want to help/offer any references)...

Be organized, self-learner, independent, willing to go the extra mile, technologically savvy, have a balance between work life and out of office life, be knowledgeable in your field of study, do not be afraid to ask for help/find other resources...

Advice to Management

Intern activities that also include the Kansas plant interns

Great real world experience and projects.

Payment. Location. Product.

The company outlook 10 years down the road

They are a downsizing company.

Advice to Management

Promotion of product and adapting to changing culture

Hallmark gave me a project and allowed me to make it my own
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hallmark was obviously committed to creating the best internship opportunity for me that they could

My manager was not very good at communicting, he also, at times, impeded my ability to perform.

Hallmark is going through a deep existential change right now. The future is not certain for Hallmark, but there are opportunities to help Hallmark grow into the company it will become.

Advice to Management

I wish I would have had more work to do, and that I would have been integrated into a team and helped that team as opposed to given a project which I primarily worked on solo.

E-card intern
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience with working, understanding of company, and Networking

Location, and relativity to my field of choice, expertise in my field of choice, and organization of the department at the time

For the Media Mint Studio, it is better to have strong communication skills than be particularly technical in animating. It is not an animation studio, it's a multimedia studio. This was an aspect that I did not realize I was getting myself into for someone like myself who likes innovative, young, risky creativity. This is striving for that, but at this point in time is more of a traditional, reserved company.

Advice to Management

I don't believe any advice for management from myself would be particularly fair. The studio was in the middle of switching and joining different departments to become something other than what it was at the time, and I agree it was the right direction for the company to go. For me as an intern however, I was put on the backburner of the entire situation. I feel now as if everyone was very nice to me and the management was excellent on keeping up with my process, but I felt as if I did not start anything to work on to grow within myself until the end of the summer because of the department situation. My art director was also a new hire so she didn't know what to do with me. These is all situational however and believe the company has great management wise company decisions for the future.

Awesome co-workers, awesome culture, unbelievable opportunity
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people i worked with, the project i worked on, the trust that my peers had in my work

the amount of work sometimes was lacking

Get to know as many of the full time employees as possible and constantly get feedback from them about your work