Hallmark Summer Intenship Program

An opportunity to encompass the learnings of the classroom in a real life setting with the autonomy to make decisions with a direct impact.
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The autonomy of the projects we were assigned.
The competitive pay rate for interns.
The learning opportunities in various departments.
The opportunity for full-time employment following the internship.
Excpetionally positive company culture.
High levels of employee retention and morale.
Diversity programs and training and development initiatives.

The drive from Kansas. :)
Somewhat competitive within the program, but helped drive productivity.

The company culture is incredible, and the sense of community for each Hallmarker is unlike any other workplace I have encountered or heard of. The idea that Life is a Special Occasion transmits into every employee's work, and truly creates a sense of passion for work you can put your heart into as we see the direct impact our products and ideas have on the end consumers.

Advice to Management

Must continue to confront the rapidly changing card business, and continue to innovate its product line with additional offerings outside of its core competencies, yet while remaining a keen focus on its competitive advantages.

New Grad Prefers Breadth to Depth; Creates Amazing New Products!
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The projects were really fun and very relevant to my interests and area of study. The people are very laid back and friendly. Also, TONS of available resources.

The current industry is a little shaky, but we are branching out so NOW is the time for young bloods like me to change the flow of the company!

Let your creativity flow! it's all about creativity there. Have an idea? speak up! Go for it!

Advice to Management

Have a list of project that WE can pick from.

A summer proving that Life is a Special Occasion
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with interns from all different departments (creative, marketing, engineers)

Seeing Hallmark Inc. shrink over the course of the summer

The atmosphere at Hallmark is one of caring people. You can tell they are a greeting card company; people always want to make you smile or feel at home.

Summer full of growth and encouraged activities
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The corporate culture- everyone was extremely encouraging and pushed me to my greatest potential.

location- not a huge fan of Kansas City

You will not find a better internship experience then the one you would receive at Hallmark.

Advice to Management

Nothing- they are doing a fantastic job!!

Liberating Experience in the
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship was the intern community and the energy and open attitudes of my coworkers.

There was not much I didn't enjoy. I had a very good experience overall.

My advice to other potential interns would be to go there ready to inspire others. This company is looking forward and is open to new and fresh ideas.

Print Production Internship Takes The Cake!
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to work at my own pace, allowed all resources needed to help me complete my projects, interaction between other departments, flexibility, pay, relevance to my field of study, get a better understanding of the company, project relevance, management critique (mid-summer and end-of-summer)...

No interaction with other interns (only intern at the Lawrence Production Center), intern activities were focused on the interns in Kansas City, there was no help in suggesting/helping to find housing (the "Realtor" suggested didn't want to be bothered and didn't want to help/offer any references)...

Be organized, self-learner, independent, willing to go the extra mile, technologically savvy, have a balance between work life and out of office life, be knowledgeable in your field of study, do not be afraid to ask for help/find other resources...

Advice to Management

Intern activities that also include the Kansas plant interns

Great real world experience and projects.

Payment. Location. Product.

The company outlook 10 years down the road

They are a downsizing company.

Advice to Management

Promotion of product and adapting to changing culture

Hallmark gave me a project and allowed me to make it my own
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hallmark was obviously committed to creating the best internship opportunity for me that they could

My manager was not very good at communicting, he also, at times, impeded my ability to perform.

Hallmark is going through a deep existential change right now. The future is not certain for Hallmark, but there are opportunities to help Hallmark grow into the company it will become.

Advice to Management

I wish I would have had more work to do, and that I would have been integrated into a team and helped that team as opposed to given a project which I primarily worked on solo.

Awesome co-workers, awesome culture, unbelievable opportunity
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people i worked with, the project i worked on, the trust that my peers had in my work

the amount of work sometimes was lacking

Get to know as many of the full time employees as possible and constantly get feedback from them about your work

E-card intern
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experience with working, understanding of company, and Networking

Location, and relativity to my field of choice, expertise in my field of choice, and organization of the department at the time

For the Media Mint Studio, it is better to have strong communication skills than be particularly technical in animating. It is not an animation studio, it's a multimedia studio. This was an aspect that I did not realize I was getting myself into for someone like myself who likes innovative, young, risky creativity. This is striving for that, but at this point in time is more of a traditional, reserved company.

Advice to Management

I don't believe any advice for management from myself would be particularly fair. The studio was in the middle of switching and joining different departments to become something other than what it was at the time, and I agree it was the right direction for the company to go. For me as an intern however, I was put on the backburner of the entire situation. I feel now as if everyone was very nice to me and the management was excellent on keeping up with my process, but I felt as if I did not start anything to work on to grow within myself until the end of the summer because of the department situation. My art director was also a new hire so she didn't know what to do with me. These is all situational however and believe the company has great management wise company decisions for the future.