Hallmark Summer Intenship Program

Real World Experience with the Nicest Company in America
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

You are given a real-life project and expected to come up with a plan for implementation by the end of the summer. This means that your team treats you as a co-worker, not an intern, and respects your ideas and hard-work while all the while giving advice on how to improve your knowledge and understanding of the corporate world. Access to people in upper management is encouraged, and even required, giving you the opportunity to really get a feel for the company. Plus, everyone is so nice, especially the CEO! Overall, it was an excellent internship, the best I've ever heard of.

The rate that decisions are made and implemented within the company is slow, which can be very frustrating at times.

The work-life balance at Hallmark is unparalleled. They expect you to have a great life outside of work. But they also want you to have a great life at work, so the atmosphere is one of hard-work, but team-work. There is a reason that the average tenure at Hallmark is over 20 years...

Advice to Management

I believe that Hallmark is too slow of a company. Because we are trying to jump in to the tech world, decisions need to be made faster because technology is ever-changing. The lethargy of the company is what is keeping Hallmark from being a top-retailer in the country.

The best internship in one of the most creative, caring companies in existence!
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the culture at Hallmark--everyone is so nice and willing to mentor you. It's also a great opportunity to work creatively and get paid for your work. The networking program that the internship offers is unparalleled--I had the chance to meet with countless individuals who are important to the industry, including senior leadership. I also loved the social aspect of the internship program; as interns, we went to a baseball game, had dinners, and attended events in Kansas City. At Hallmark, you get the opportunity to do real work and still have fun with your fellow interns!

It's honestly difficult to come up with cons about this internship program--if I had to name any, it would be a slight difficulty finding short-term housing, but even that is minimal compared to the amazing opportunities this internship program offers!

You will never find a better company culture than Hallmark. It's clear the company values its employees, interns included. They also offer competitive pay and amazing benefits, all wrapped up in one of the best creative companies out there. You really can't go wrong.

Hallmark Hands-On Paid Internship With Real Experience and Great Corporate Environment, The Only Time You'll Be Treated Like a Queen/King
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Constant learning opportunities from coworkers and free workshops; able to do actual work relevant to the company rather than just bringing people coffees and making copies (they will bring YOU coffee!); great corporate environment with kind, friendly coworkers; great perks such as good pay (higher than entry-level), relocation financial assistance, and housing stipend; seeing all the workings of the company, including departments that you aren't working in; employee discount; networking and people from the top of the company taking time to meet with interns

Nothing, it was the best internship ever!

If Hallmark offers you a job, take it! They have great benefits, treat their employees very well, have many opportunities for continued learning, and have interesting jobs that allow you to be creative on a daily basis. They are way above and beyond any other company I have every seen--truly wonderful experience. People come here thinking they will only stay a couple years and end up staying a lifetime because they love the experience so much.

Advice to Management

There is nothing they could do to improve, they are already top-notch and above and beyond!

Fast-paced, hands on summer leads to fun and exciting full time career
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hallmark's culture is fantastic -- Hallmark is a company that really lives by the idea that people are their most important asset. Senior leadership is extremely accessible, providing great networking opportunities.

The internship was a little longer than I would have preferred -- I felt like I didn't get a break all summer before starting school again. 10 weeks would have been better.

Hallmark really values their interns, so fully expect to work hard and make a meaningful contribution during your summer. You have an opportunity to make a big impact and show Hallmark what you can do and why they should hire you.

Advice to Management

Hallmark tends to be a little behind other companies as far as full-time job offers go. Waiting so long to give offers can cause them to lose good candidates.

A learning experience to better my future career path that I would not have traded.
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project that I was assigned to was something that actually added value to the company. I was not given an assignment that was worthless. The pay was great. The benefits that we got outside of work (such as a free summer pass to the Nelson Atkins Art Museum in KC) were great as well.

I did not like that the creative interns were allowed to work overtime yet the business interns were not allowed to. There was never an explanation for this.

The culture and atmosphere of Hallmark is something that you cannot find in many corporate environments. Everyone there genuinely cares for each other and this is really refreshing.

Advice to Management

I think that the issue I mentioned above in the 'pro' section should've been addressed. I realized that there was probably some legality issues behind why the business interns couldn't work overtime, yet the creative interns were allowed to. I think that in the future this should be addressed to the interns.

Practically perfect in every way.
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt valued as a contributer. I was not "paying my dues" I was just doing what I love.

It was pretty busy. Sometimes difficult to get the "real" work done because of lots of classes and events. A good problem to have, I guess.

Hallmark is a fantastic place to work.
Work hard on your application. Be friendly.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure at this point.

Learned from some of the most talented creatives in the industry.
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The networking opportunities and access to learning opportunities. There was also an intern project week where we were assigned a task to design a new product. We worked in groups to research and develop and present to key stakeholders. I learned so much about myself, how to work in a group and the creative process in general.

Working in 3 different departments, I think it should have been limited to 2 so I could have had more time in each.

The opportunity for growth is endless. There are so many different talented people to learn from, learning resources such as the creative library and workshops, and the projects they assign you are the same ones that full-time employees work on. They truly value and trust your talents.

Advice to Management

They need more windows and lighting to make the work atmosphere slightly more comfortable in certain departments.

Strong learning oppertunity copupled with real world experience and a strong oppertunity to make a lasting impact
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Project selection was tailored for my long term asperations, and had real tangible results and impact.

Wish it was longer can not do much in 12 weeks.

Question your recruiter on what kind of projects that you will be working, make sure to get into specifics and help them understand what you want to work on.

An opportunity to encompass the learnings of the classroom in a real life setting with the autonomy to make decisions with a direct impact.
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The autonomy of the projects we were assigned.
The competitive pay rate for interns.
The learning opportunities in various departments.
The opportunity for full-time employment following the internship.
Excpetionally positive company culture.
High levels of employee retention and morale.
Diversity programs and training and development initiatives.

The drive from Kansas. :)
Somewhat competitive within the program, but helped drive productivity.

The company culture is incredible, and the sense of community for each Hallmarker is unlike any other workplace I have encountered or heard of. The idea that Life is a Special Occasion transmits into every employee's work, and truly creates a sense of passion for work you can put your heart into as we see the direct impact our products and ideas have on the end consumers.

Advice to Management

Must continue to confront the rapidly changing card business, and continue to innovate its product line with additional offerings outside of its core competencies, yet while remaining a keen focus on its competitive advantages.

Manufacturing Isn't just a mans environment
Topeka, KS | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real world projects and experience, meeting a different culture and adapting, learning more about a corporate environment and social etiquette

Being at a plant location where I was the only intern compared to being at corporate with the other 50 interns.

The experience you get is hands on work experience but you are not set up to fail. There is plenty of support and advice that you can finish your project on your own

Advice to Management

Integrating plant employees and corporate employees better