4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 51 Intern Reviews)

Interns gain real-world experience during summer-long interview at Hallmark
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the internship include: flexible work schedule (depending on department), welcoming and easy-to-get-along-with culture, exposure to senior leadership through networking and forums, and substantive projects.

What I liked least about the internship was the associated costs. If the intern is not from the KC metro area, he/she must be prepared to find and sign an available three-month lease. Hallmark does offer an allowance and some apartment location assistance through a third-party (not endorsed by Hallmark). However, the allowance is hardly enough to cover even a small portion of practical housing costs, and the third-party locator service can be pushy.

Be prepared to put your mind to work! Remain open-minded and ready to absorb all you can from people who really enjoy what they do every day. You will be expected to demonstrate what you have learned, but if you've been attentive and put forth the effort, it will only be a testament to your abilities.

Advice to Management

I do not beleive that I have any comments to make about these topics, as the appear to be adequate for my needs. However, I believe that team on-boarding programs should be made standard for any new addition to the team. Additionally, to become a better place to work, I suggest creating a more up-to-date, stimulating, open work environment. Cubicles are fine of course (and let's face it, not every company is Google, nor should the top-tech companies be considered the pinnacle of working environment for every organization), but some fresh paint and modern office fixtures would do a world of good.

The twelve weeks of reassurance for my future career
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to meet directors and exectuives of the business. The projects we receive are actual need based and interesting at the same time. I never felt once as an intern but was depended on and expected to perform like a full time hire.

Being seperated from other interns. Which also became a pro because so many of us have a different perspective on the company from working in different areas.

The finance roles and internships are very valuable to expand business knowledge. Hallmark has such a wide variety of work that you can see in a summer that would be very beneficial to any career path you shall choose.

A wonderful summer in Kansas City at Hallmark

Meeting with upper management

Not being consulted before things happened

It has a great culture that is unlike anything else I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

Being more organized and listening to employee concerns.

Great learning experience with relevant challenging projects that actually benefit the company
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work you are doing will actually be used in the future

Not as much opportunity to meet with the other side of the business, interns do not get to interact as much with their creative partners as much as I would have liked

Super friendly environment that allows for a lot of growth opportunity

Advice to Management

Assist more with summer housing

Hallmark--Inspirational working environment with the sweetest people just like its product themes!
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Creating products to make people happier can also make you happy!

Limited access to softwares and some facilities.

To me, everything was really perfect.

Leveraging the old and the new to bring forth innovative business prospects
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Access to an incredible amount of information and experiences

Lack of transparency when it comes to whether a job offer will be made

Company has great potential, may be slower to making those changes but the product and people are well worth it

Experience indicitave of a real full-time job in IT
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I have had the opportunity to meet with senior leadership across the company and present to them the projects that I have taken on this summer. Hallmark's college recruiting team hosted a few events so the interns could get to know each other also took us on a tour of one of the company's manufacturing facilities.

Hallmark provides a lot of guidance to the Kansas City area and is always willing to help if you have questions, but finding housing and roommates was probably the most stressful part to this summer.

Hallmark makes communication skills a top priority. Our department gave us plenty of time to learn all the technical knowledge; just be willing to work hard and apply what you've learned in school!

Advice to Management

Hallmark provided us with great information about the Kansas City area before we came, but finding housing and roommates was the most difficult part this summer. After talking with interns from other companies in the KC area, I found that they provided great guidance and/or specifically reserved housing for their interns.

Great internship, much potential for career path.
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people are the friendliest you will find anywhere, and the work hours are very flexible. Plus, you are working with fun products!

The HR department is the worst of any company I've worked at! They try way too hard to turn everything into a competition between the interns, gossip about us, and manipulate our work so that we can't give our best effort.

They will pay you very well and expect reasonable hours from you. There is a lot of lateral movement in the company, and they really work with you to identify positions that you can put your heart into.

Advice to Management

They absolutely need to decrease the bureaucracy in Human Resources. The actual work the interns do is fantastic, so it should be less of a popularity contest about which intern can suck up the most.

My internship experience was a roller coaster, a high learning curve with a few twists and turns, but in the end I came out rejuvenated.
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had the opportunity to have specific jobs and make them my own. I was treated just like any other employee in the plant. I could take my projects in any direction I wanted to as long as my supervisor saw progress.

My supervisor could have been more supportive. I would have liked to have more information about the projects before I was sent off on my own. At many times, my supervisor was too busy for me to ask questions.

I also did not know that I was located at a different location rather than corporate until a month before I started my internship. Although, my supervisor knew she had me about 6 months before.

This program is built to challenge you. Be prepared to go out of your comfort zone to get what you need. Don't be afraid to ask questions and enjoy the ride!

Advice to Management

With the internship program, I would like to see a little more training or preparation of the projects given. I do not feel that my main project was very appropriate nor do I think that my supervisor was prepared for an intern. I feel that maybe a training day for the supervisors would be helpful, to know what to expect since we are all still in college and not finished with our degrees.

Practically perfect in every way.
Kansas City, MO | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt valued as a contributer. I was not "paying my dues" I was just doing what I love.

It was pretty busy. Sometimes difficult to get the "real" work done because of lots of classes and events. A good problem to have, I guess.

Hallmark is a fantastic place to work.
Work hard on your application. Be friendly.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure at this point.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)