Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

Design and test software that will be used in real world products. If I was not working the project a full-time employee would.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin treats their interns like their full-time employees. We are able to work on real world projects and I feel like I actually have an impact on the company. Everyone is more that happy to help you if you need it and everyone seems very friendly. The atmosphere at Garmin is laid back with a sense of pride that results in very productive employees. The pay and free housing are also very nice. The amount I have learned at this internship is astounding.

I have no dislikes about my internship.

The level of diversity is amazing at Garmin, there are so many different types of projects you could work on. But, even if you do not get into exactly what you want, you will be amazed at the amount you learn and how much experiance you will gain.

Awesome company hires awesome people to do awesome work.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked directly with a team of full time engineers. They definitely treated me like a part of the team.

I started out doing testing, and that isn't the most fun. That being said, most of the full time employees were also doing testing, so it didn't feel as bad.

They definitely seemed to care about me.

The best summer of my life.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had a great team, a great mentor, and great projects.

Nothing at all.

Be yourself when you interview. Personality and compatibility within teams is an important factor to Garmin.

Advice to Management

There is not much they could do to make it better.

A Great Environment for Interns
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work hours were very flexible
Garmin did a very good job of making the internship "fun"
The stuff I was working on was enjoyable
The environment was very friendly

Very little feedback was given about how I was performing during the Summer. The only feedback given was at the end of the Summer, at which point we could not do much with said feedback.

Expect a very friendly atmosphere where everyone helps each other out.

Advice to Management

It would be nice for the interns to receive more feedback.

Got to take a real product from start to finish that was in use when i left.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Very open environment. Everyone on my team and other teams were helpful and willing to take time to show and teach me new things. Very open environment they gave me a task and let me solve it the way i wanted. They gave me a real project not just intern work, I created a product from start to finish.

The housing provided was ok, had some issues with bugs and other things. (they did ask about and say they would try to fix this issue)
Pay was decent but recieved better paying offers from other companies.

Don't be afraid to ask questions to your mentor or advisor. They are only there to help. They were more than willing to help me and it helps them get a better understanding of how much you know so they can better give you an assaignment you can finish in the short 3 months

Advice to Management

I think a little more pay for senior engineering students. I did get some other higher offers from other companies(yes this included housing also)
great hours.
there was a mishap with me not getting all my information on IT stuff at the beggining causing me to get locked out of the system 1 week from my start date.

Garmin offers anything you could ask for in a company.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work atmosphere at Garmin is perfect. It is comfortable and relaxed while remaining hardworking and productive. I had the privilege of sharing an office with a full-time engineer who was always very helpful in answering my questions and, as a result, I learned a lot. The benefits included discounted Garmin items and paid time off. The housing was paid-for and very close to Garmin. It was a dorm on a very nice campus which contained a fitness room and open gyms for us to use. There were tons of social events planned for us to be able to meet and get to know the other interns, which I took advantage of. Overall it was a very good experience and I would recommend it highly.

The only con I can think of is that I lived in a fairly small triple dorm room which did not contain its own kitchen, so I was not able to cook as easily for myself as I would have liked.

My advice is to give Garmin a try, because I can't see how anyone would dislike working there. They are a very successful company, have a great company culture, and give great pay and benefits. They are at the leading edge of navigation products, so the work you do will contribute to the best products in the industry.

Advice to Management

I can't really think of anything.

Great Experience advancing my skills and networking with peers and professionals
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people that I worked with, the company culture, the activities and other interns

Kansas is a conservative area and we were far from the downtown area

Getting to know the other interns is great time! Garmin is a youthful, fun company with interesting work.

Advice to Management

Make diversity a point to include. Be inclusive of LGBT people

Great experience that I would encourage anyone who has the chance to do.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

One of the coolest projects I could have imagined. Great experience in the industry that I can see in my future. Great people who care about what they do.

There really wasn't anything I disliked.

Work hard and ask a ton of questions. Your mentor and supervisor are there to help and they want to. It'll make the experience go by my smoother.

Earn work experience respected by top tier corporations.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Relevant work experience, great pay, great workplace atmosphere, great housing benefits, great intern events, very supportive HR dept., great mentor, great supervisor, great office mates.

Nothing really, it was all great.

Garmin can be a great stepping stone for your career, giving you work experience that is respected by top tier companies like Microsoft or Amazon. Even with opportunities available with those larger companies, I'm seriously considering sticking with Garmin because I had such a great experience there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Useful
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Doing actual real world programming. What I did will be in future products.

The Housing, though free, did not provide the best living conditions.

The work that the interns do is actually beneficial to both the company and the intern.

Advice to Management

Nothing