Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Good Culture, Good Area, and Good Fun

-Good culture
-Competitive pay
-Good area

-Garmin re-creates the wheel sometimes

-Having a car would be good

Advice to Management

N/A

-Something to do with ball bearings and a scale, find the ones that weigh the least/most with minimum # of 'weighs' (times using the scale)

Interesting work in a great enviornment

Kansas City, MO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment was very appealing. My work was very interesting and can actually impact Garmin

I am unsure if I want to live in the Midwest.

This is a great program that can further your career. Each intern gets paired with a mentor, allowing for more challenging projects.

A great team working on a great product

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team is great, the work is enjoyable, and the hours are incredibly flexible.

Sometimes it's a little boring/frustrating when you work on something for a while don't seem to make much progress, but that is programming in general, not just this internship.

Just how great the team is

Realizing I actually love my career

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having my own project. School cannot prepare you for a job in engineering, but having my own project and a great team to answer my many, many, many questions taught me so much.
Also the sheer amount of tools and resources at my disposal!
I also loved that we were housed with other interns. I lucked out and had the best roommate out of all of them.

The pressure and deadlines. My project was small and internal, but I still raced time to have it completed by the end of the summer. While sending PCBs to Taiwan was a really neat experience, the time it took to get them back was frustrating.

As a design engineer, don't expect to have to sit at your computer all day every day. I love having the chance to get up and work in the lab and run tests and modify boards. It really breaks up the day and keeps you interested.

Easily the best working summer I have ever had

Extremely flexible schedules.
Great team to work with.
Amazing atmosphere. The pay was pretty good too

That I had to work? Nothing was bad about the internship

Most managers are will to work with you on whatever you need. I was pulled in to other team meetings my first week because I wanted to do more than sit in a cubicle all day.

Advice to Management

Don't force the interns to do the intern expo. It doesn't apply to everyone, especially those who have nothing that they can show that is interesting and will advance.

What is your current documentation process like?

You get to be an employee for three months

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

A one-on-one mentor helps with all the questions, easy and difficult. You are relied upon to complete the same caliber of work as full time employees. You get to work alongside senior software engineers. Garmin treats you like an employee, with paid time off, benefits and respect from your co-workers. You must present your project work in development plan meetings.

There is a presentation on the work you have done in the middle of the summer as opposed to the end of the summer. This seems like an odd deadline.

The application process is extremely quick and pleasant. Craft your cover letter and resume to the position, and don't be afraid to inject a little humanity. Athlete? Put it on there. Like video games? So do the people you work with.

Advice to Management

I have been extremely happy with everything Garmin has done for me.

Write your own string compare function.

What is a virtual function in C++.

Find the bug in this piece of C++ code.

Garmin's Internship Program; One of the Best

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

How much I got to learn and how I was given real code to work with that will be shipped with it's products. The organization was amazingly well done for the 140+ interns that are here.

Honestly it's hard to say what I didn't like. I guess the location requires a car to enjoy to the fullest but that has nothing to do with the internship itself. That would be my main issue.

Make sure you are familiar with C/C++ and have strong CS fundamentals. People are there to help but for the most part you drive your own progress.

Advice to Management

Make the intern presentations more incentivized so people are driven to take it more seriously. I think "winning" right now is pretty subjective because people had cooler projects than others but other than that, you're doing a great job.

Implement a bit shifter, write a program to check minimum number of coins for spare change, traverse a linked list

Learn real world software engineering.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hours were very flexible. The mentors were extremely helpful. Everyone is smart and easy to work with.

The actual work itself can be kind of boring.

The code base is absolutely massive and there are only a few API guides. It would be a good idea to learn how to use a debugger to figure out the function call stack so that you get an idea of how certain parts of the code base work.

Advice to Management

I really didn't have any issues. Garmin was very fair to me.

Make sure you brush up on C++.

I was asked about pointers, inheritance, access modifiers, and virtual functions.

Third internship with same company goes swimmingly

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Company culture is welcoming, everyone is extremely helpful when you ask questions.

I don't think there are cons applicable to this internship.

Ask as many questions as possible - everyone is very helpful - you don't need to be intimidated.

Advice to Management

N/A

Great experience that has made me proud to be here.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with the other employees here that were all very welcoming and helpful.

Not knowing anyone when I first started since I came from out of state.

I wish I would have known how welcoming of an environment it is here so that it would of felt less intimidating leading up to the start of the internship.

Advice to Management

Felt a little lost the first week on exactly what my job and duties were suppose to be.

What experience do you have already? What are you strengths/weaknesses? What are you hoping to learn/gain from your experience here?