Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Retail & Consumer Products Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

Engineering excellence combined with the best BBQ and camaraderie the country can offer.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the friendliness seen all across the Garmin campus. My mentor, team, and fellow interns were very welcoming and friendly! I also thoroughly enjoyed the work I was doing. At the end of the internship I could play on the device I was working on and really see the changes I had made! It's something to be proud of, and it's fun always trying to excel in the work we do because it's all about making the best product we can for the users!

There wasn't much of anything that was bad, but I would have liked a bit more structured feedback about my work throughout the summer. After sharing this with them, I think they plan on implementing some feedback notes throughout the summer for future interns.

I would first tell them YES! If a candidate is considering Garmin, I would ask them about their interests and major because Garmin has internship programs across all forms of engineering. There are internship opportunities for computer software/hardware engineers, mechanical engineers, aerospace engineers, and more! Garmin also has products in the automotive, marine, fitness, outdoor, and aviation markets, so there is a place for everyone! Knowing their interests, I could help them in the right direction as far as which department they'd like to work in.

Work on an important problem with awesome people.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting and connecting with full time employees and other interns.

Tooling and environment problems.

You have to be interested in low level software engineering. Garmin is great for people who want to work with products you can see and touch. Garmin is not as good for people in web and mobile development (although some of that still exists).

What courses have been your favorite? Your least favorite?

What do you know about embedded systems?

Walk me through how we'd do a simple moving average.

Some basic C problems.

Great Embedded Systems Experience
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intern social committee planned some great events. The work was meaningful and I gained valuable technical experience I would not have gotten in a classroom.

The thing that I liked least about the internship program was that it went by so fast.

If you are looking to do meaningful work and gain valuable technical experience, I highly recommend that you consider Garmin in your internship search.

Amazing experience working with a knowledgeable team
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience

No full time offer

Be willing to learn

Describe a semaphore

Great Experience working on Real World Problems
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to work on your project without someone breathing down your neck, giving one the opportunity to solve problems on their own.

There were not many complaints.

Garmin will give you a great experience working on projects that actually benefit the company. They also pay well and offer fully furnished apartments.

Intern has an amazing summer working at Garmin, knocks it out of the park!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

friends, work, team, atmosphere, compensation

Minimum length is 10 characters.

Garmin is an amazing place to work at, but try to avoid ending up on an aviation software team, unless you know that's what you really want.

Most fun I've ever had working
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other employees and the environment were excellent

Kansas City isn't all that great of a location

Get involved with the other interns. The social environment at Garmin is amazing

Garmin Internship Provides Real-World Experience
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Accurate representation of what a full-time job is like, we get to work on real projects, we feel like we make a huge, positive, difference

Even in the suburbs, Kansas City traffic can be scary

Don't be intimidated by any step of the process, everyone is incredibly nice.

Understanding the process of Software Engineering from an outstanding company.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the Intenrship had to be the work culture, and the emphasis on creating quality product. Garmin had a fantastic culture, and everyone seemed to appreciate and love the work they performed for Garmin. The emphasis on creating quality products truly reflect how talented everyone at Garmin is. Each person aims to become a master in their craft in order to product a quality product.

I least liked the fact that the internship had very few events for interns to explore the company.

Garmin treats each employee with great respect, and the work culture is very positive and supportive.

During the interview process, I was presented with questions that involved bit-wise manipulation of variables along with simple logic/programming questions.

Work is so much better than school

Rewarding work

Great people and culture

I liked pretty much everything. Nothing to complain about.

Take the job. Time spent at Garmin is time well spent.

Advice to Management

Don't put everyone in Aviation. It is hard to retain interns when all they do is write test code.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)