Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Learn And Do

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin is extremely organized and my managers were extremely professional but also personable and enjoyable to be around at the same time. I looked forward to going to work every day and was excited to get to work on real-world projects. I also enjoyed working with other team members, I learned so much from them.

Everything about the internship was great.

Garmin has great people to work with.

Name a time when you had lots of work assigned with a short deadline.

What is a project that you worked on that you are proud of?

What do you hope to get out of an internship with us?

If we hired you, would you move on to a place like Google or Apple within the first 5 years of employment?

What is the difference between JSON and JSONP?

Explain what you know about HTTP requests.

Have you used version control?

Advice to Management

I was completely satisfied with everything about the company and internship program

Great Experience working on Real World Problems

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to work on your project without someone breathing down your neck, giving one the opportunity to solve problems on their own.

There were not many complaints.

Garmin will give you a great experience working on projects that actually benefit the company. They also pay well and offer fully furnished apartments.

Intern has an amazing summer working at Garmin, knocks it out of the park!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

friends, work, team, atmosphere, compensation

Minimum length is 10 characters.

Garmin is an amazing place to work at, but try to avoid ending up on an aviation software team, unless you know that's what you really want.

Garmin Internship Provides Real-World Experience

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Accurate representation of what a full-time job is like, we get to work on real projects, we feel like we make a huge, positive, difference

Even in the suburbs, Kansas City traffic can be scary

Don't be intimidated by any step of the process, everyone is incredibly nice.

Most fun I've ever had working

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other employees and the environment were excellent

Kansas City isn't all that great of a location

Get involved with the other interns. The social environment at Garmin is amazing

The Garmin Guide to Location and Robustness

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working in a cohesive team environment and participating in meetings to see what people were working on. I enjoyed the group lunches, programming club, and other social and collaborative events that went on in the summer. I feel that I was well-compensated for my work and that I completed my tasks successfully in a timely manner.

I did not like that I did not receive a lot of feedback from my mentor in the beginning of the internship. I think a little more guidance in the beginning could have helped me overcome initial roadblocks faster.

Garmin is a wonderful place to work. My internship was a language immersion program for Objective-C. I was able to apply the knowledge I learned and obtained through various projects towards a real-world application. Being able to work on a feature that will one day make it to the App Store was an incredible experience for me.

Why do you want to work at Garmin?

Explain the difference between inheritance and polymorphism (technical question).

Describe a challenge you had in a team project and how you overcame it.

Advice to Management

I think they could provide more training for new employees, as well as more social events (especially for interns) to help new employees get to know other employees better.

Understanding the process of Software Engineering from an outstanding company.

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the Intenrship had to be the work culture, and the emphasis on creating quality product. Garmin had a fantastic culture, and everyone seemed to appreciate and love the work they performed for Garmin. The emphasis on creating quality products truly reflect how talented everyone at Garmin is. Each person aims to become a master in their craft in order to product a quality product.

I least liked the fact that the internship had very few events for interns to explore the company.

Garmin treats each employee with great respect, and the work culture is very positive and supportive.

During the interview process, I was presented with questions that involved bit-wise manipulation of variables along with simple logic/programming questions.

Work on an important problem with awesome people.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting and connecting with full time employees and other interns.

Tooling and environment problems.

You have to be interested in low level software engineering. Garmin is great for people who want to work with products you can see and touch. Garmin is not as good for people in web and mobile development (although some of that still exists).

What courses have been your favorite? Your least favorite?

What do you know about embedded systems?

Walk me through how we'd do a simple moving average.

Some basic C problems.

Garmin offers real experience working on fun projects

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

positive environment and cool products

no downsides of note

When Garmin presents itself as a great place to work, it tells the truth.

Write code to count the number of 1's in an integer.

At Garmin you get your own desk AND your own soldering iron

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

They give you real projects to work on that will help out your team. It is easy to learn from the people you work with and they are always friendly and willing to help. The project lifecycles are fast enough so that you can actually make progress through the summer (in the consumer segment at least)

I didn't get to work directly with any other interns because they were spread pretty thin throughout the company.

If you would like to play a central role in the development of electronics you would enjoy working at Garmin. As an electrical engineer you get to work with mechanical and software engineers to turn ideas into products.

Draw a block diagram of a system or product you have designed by yourself or as part of a team in a previous internship or school project. The interviewer then picks a particular block and asks you to describe how you implemented it in detail.

Advice to Management

Encourage more out of work activities between coworkers. The different product segments feel slightly isolated. I think this leads to a 'knowledge island' effect which makes it more difficult to find people with expertise in certain areas.