Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Great learning experience

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and environment are a great to learn from, and everyone I worked with seemed to be passionate about their job.

There is nothing I had a problem with working there.

Garmin is a really great place to learn from.

Work on an important problem with awesome people.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting and connecting with full time employees and other interns.

Tooling and environment problems.

You have to be interested in low level software engineering. Garmin is great for people who want to work with products you can see and touch. Garmin is not as good for people in web and mobile development (although some of that still exists).

What courses have been your favorite? Your least favorite?

What do you know about embedded systems?

Walk me through how we'd do a simple moving average.

Some basic C problems.

Intern has an amazing summer working at Garmin, knocks it out of the park!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

friends, work, team, atmosphere, compensation

Minimum length is 10 characters.

Garmin is an amazing place to work at, but try to avoid ending up on an aviation software team, unless you know that's what you really want.

Most fun I've ever had working

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other employees and the environment were excellent

Kansas City isn't all that great of a location

Get involved with the other interns. The social environment at Garmin is amazing

Garmin Internship Provides Real-World Experience

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Accurate representation of what a full-time job is like, we get to work on real projects, we feel like we make a huge, positive, difference

Even in the suburbs, Kansas City traffic can be scary

Don't be intimidated by any step of the process, everyone is incredibly nice.

Work is so much better than school

Rewarding work

Great people and culture

I liked pretty much everything. Nothing to complain about.

Take the job. Time spent at Garmin is time well spent.

Advice to Management

Don't put everyone in Aviation. It is hard to retain interns when all they do is write test code.

it was a great learning experience with wonderful people in a really fun environment.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid housing, fun activities, very hand-on, a very structured work environment

It would be nice to see more diversity.

You have to be able to adapt to a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

It is clear that the company views every department’s specialty as contributing to the organization's overall success. I would challenge Garmin to reinforce this premise even further in the future by initiating more of a balance across departments addressing the issue disparity of compensation among interns.

Great Experience working on Real World Problems

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to work on your project without someone breathing down your neck, giving one the opportunity to solve problems on their own.

There were not many complaints.

Garmin will give you a great experience working on projects that actually benefit the company. They also pay well and offer fully furnished apartments.

The Garmin Guide to Location and Robustness

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working in a cohesive team environment and participating in meetings to see what people were working on. I enjoyed the group lunches, programming club, and other social and collaborative events that went on in the summer. I feel that I was well-compensated for my work and that I completed my tasks successfully in a timely manner.

I did not like that I did not receive a lot of feedback from my mentor in the beginning of the internship. I think a little more guidance in the beginning could have helped me overcome initial roadblocks faster.

Garmin is a wonderful place to work. My internship was a language immersion program for Objective-C. I was able to apply the knowledge I learned and obtained through various projects towards a real-world application. Being able to work on a feature that will one day make it to the App Store was an incredible experience for me.

Why do you want to work at Garmin?

Explain the difference between inheritance and polymorphism (technical question).

Describe a challenge you had in a team project and how you overcame it.

Advice to Management

I think they could provide more training for new employees, as well as more social events (especially for interns) to help new employees get to know other employees better.

Engineering student experiences awesome internship with exposure to industry-desired skills.

Co-workers and outside activities

I guess the worst thing about my internship was the traffic after work on the way home.

Everyone is really helpful and always willing to offer advice to new hires. Everyone is assigned a mentor for the first year of employment, so be sure to ask plenty of questions and never be afraid to learn new things.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

Are you more of a leader or a follower?

Advice to Management

I thought everything was really well done. Want to comment on how helpful it was to have a mentor of about the same age group as me. I feel that this enhanced my learning abilities and helped myself feel more welcome.