Garmin Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

EXTRA! EXTRA! Best Internship I Will Ever Have

Being able to work hands on building my own design

none thus far

Garmin is a company that values its employees and helps to find work that you enjoy and that fits you best.

Advice to Management

none

Date: 2013

Limitless opportunities to learn and grow as an engineer

Working on real products, working along side full time engineers, having a mentor as a guide for what can be a very intimidating field to get started in, very relaxed work environment, awesome manager, benefits and training

Software engineering can become boring. Garmin does a good job keeping its engineers busy with multiple tasks so try and alleviate this.

Great place to work, anyone in a software/computer engineering field should try Garmin.

Advice to Management

I would have liked the opportunity to work more overtime. I also would like to work remotely from school during the year as an intern still.

Intern Works for the Summer

Flexibility in working hours, actual development work, free housing, Donut Friday, and a high hourly wage.

Cell phone service in my housing was pretty awful... but that's my cell providers problem really.

Literally the best job I've ever held. Be prepared to do real work if you get the internship.

Date: 2013

Garmin Internship Program provides real-world experience with meaningful projects and an un-beatable atmosphere.

Real-life projects - not "intern" projects Company Culture The people - great to work with and love what they do

Personally, would prefer a much smaller location (ideally not in a "big city"). However, Kansas City is probably the smallest a person can hope for while searching for an electronics design position.

Apply/seek the position you truly fit into - if you are an avid runner, try to get into the fitness group. If you are an avid hiker, try to get into the outdoor group. If you are an avid boater, try to get into the marine group. Garmin has a segment for most everyone, and they do their best to put you there. When they see your enthusiasm for a specific product segment, it is a big plus!

Advice to Management

This is very specific to only certain managers, but a more flexible schedule, even for interns would be nice. At a previous internship, we were allowed to work 4 9-hour days, and leave at noon on Friday. That would be very nice. I am sure some managers allow that at Garmin. Overall though, Garmin was still very flexible.

College Student Gains Real World Experience From Internship

I enjoyed the team based moments the most.

I had to park over a quarter mile away.

Be prepared to learn all summer long.

Fitness Watches Galore

Networking with my fellow employees. Everyone is very approachable. Everyone is very willing to take time out of their busy schedules to assist me when I have questions. Free donuts on Friday. The products that I got to work on are part of my dream career. Everyone at the company is very active and it's great to be around as an athlete.

The science fair like presentations that interns were asked to give.

Great people. Laid back environment. Awesome products that you get to contribute to.

Date: 2013

If I wanted to write headlines I would be a journalist.

Working on real projects, freedom, treated like a regular employee (in terms of benefits, etc.)

I had no issues with the internship.

Garmin has a lot of fun interesting work for Software Engineers and will take your skills seriously.

Advice to Management

Garmin's awkward, extremely non-standard, and out-of-date coding standards alienate new hires. It sounds like a minor thing, but it is still something you deal with every day.

Growing Together : An Intern and His Company

Real world experience Working on something that we actually be used in the future Great environment and people No dress code Plethora of activities to get involved in Good salary and free housing

I personally was outside of a lot of the typical processes that Garmin employees go through, so I missed that experience. This isn't typical for most interns, however.

It's a great place to work, and make sure you get involved and meet new people. Networking with full-time employees and interns is very easy and never hurt anyone.

Date: 2013

Great Companies Make Great Products with Great Leadership from Top to Bottom; Just Ask Garmin!

Culture, leadership, products, and menorship

Testing and paper work

If your passion is engineering, and you enjoy doing it while also working with others, Garmin is for you.

Date: 2013

The English language does not contain any words that are able to accurately describe this amazing and fantastic internship.

Meeting all of the awesome people.

It has to end sometime

Not having a dress code is awesome.

Advice to Management

Team dodge ball tournaments

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)