Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

EE Design Engineering Intern wins Intern Expo!

Everything, I most enjoyed the actual work I was doing

Far from family

Garmin is a big company with a small company feel, very friendly but has lots of room to grow

Intern experiences just how much more Garmin does than GPS stuff

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work in general, i.e. what I worked on and the department I was with (Fitness)

Meeting people outside my team was practically nonexistent (maybe due to company size)

I would highly recommend with one caveat. If you are a CS or CE major doing a software engineering internship, make sure you get with any department except aviation. Aviation software engineers pretty much only did test code (from the people I talked to) which isn't the best experience if you are past your freshmen/maybe sophomore year. All the other departments seemed to have much more meaningful work for their interns, even though there were significantly fewer of us.

Advice to Management

Compensation seems good for the midwest, but low for the tech industry. I know they have really good benefits that kind of offset that, but unless there is a decent pay raise each year, I am not sure that it would be enough to comfortably support more than 1 person.

Working hand in hand with experienced engineers on an interesting and fulfilling project.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being kept busy with real and interesting work. Learning from experienced engineers.

Can't think of anything noteworthy

Be prepared to learn a lot and soak it all in.

Advice to Management

I had a wonderful time.

I was walked through a little test, expected not to know some of the answers. Was given hints when I wasn't sure. The whole point was to test your problem solving and brainstorming.

Exciting work on exciting projects

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

You stayed busy all summer doing work and intern events, both of which were entertaining.

Our provided housing was the farthest away @ 20-25 minutes away from work which was kind of a bummer.

Be wary of what department you're being assigned to and what work you'll be doing. There is a huge difference between working for the consumer side of things and just writing unit tests all day for aviation.

Giving direct examples ruins the fairness of an interview.

They aren't technical questions more like puzzles.

Pretty Fun

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Developing the weather creation tool and knowing the code

Diving into a massive code base and not knowing anything

The company is fun to be at, but the software documentation is lacking

Advice to Management

More software documentation and have mentors provide guidance to their interns besides just sitting there being a question answerer.

When was a time you had to make a tough decision?

Implement a function in C that doubles every even number. Is there a way to do it without creating any new variables (excluding function arguments)?

Worked on interesting and challenging projects, was inspired to learn new skills, and had a lot of fun along the way.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed working alongside other Engineers to satisfy our customers requirements. There was accessible help and mentoring along the way.

I wish I would have been given a better high-level training of software development best practices and aspects such as software tests.

Always push yourself to learn about your problem domain. Have a willingness to try things that are difficult.

Advice to Management

I would have liked slightly better compensation for the effort of work that I was putting in. I had to commute ~2 hours every day and did not receive any compensation for this.

Asking me about times that I had difficulties working with a team. About passed experience in the industry. Also a few conceptual questions over C code.

Excellent company, but mundane work. Excellent team atmosphere and great people to work with.

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The quality of my co-workers and the atmosphere I worked in.

Sometimes it was hard to get help on a problem or know who to ask to get help with a problem.

Don't be afraid to bother the full-time employee if you need help, but try to solve the problem on your own first.

Well balanced job with a moderate focus on mentorship and training.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Comfortable living at home and an encouraging work environment.

No sense of team: Was structurally placed on team I did no work with, functionally placed on team I never had outings with, and socially related to a third team which was the only one I had an out of work event with.

There aren't any quirks to working here. You're paid well and taught well. It's a straight forward opportunity that you can get a lot out of.

Advice to Management

People get used to whatever is given to them. Even ignoring that the compensation at Garmin is on par with other prominent companies. I would however recommend working on the social environment internal to Garmin. The teams in some departments seem to be much more proactive than others in having events whether at work our outside of it.

N/A

Trials and tribulations of a mentee experience

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting all of the engineers on the project I have used for many years.
Working on a product I have used for many years.

My mentor was non-communicative. Was told, by my mentor, that I wouldn't be hired at the place of work because of a question he had asked.

Amazing place to work. Things happen everyday.
Be prepared for some rough patches.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in what each employee is doing. Communication is key.
Iron out the individual team boarding process.

What is the difference between an override and an overload?
What can you tell us about ourselves?

Garmin gives interns real-world engineering experience

Kansas City, MO | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was fast-paced and challenging, the people were welcoming, and the opportunities for involvement were numerous

It was a little difficult to get to know the other interns because we were working on such different projects

Expect to work hard during the summer and be challenged.