Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Intern Gains Valuable Experience at Garmin

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to learn a lot

Dealing with housing (Oakwood)

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

More formal training would be helpful.

Great place to work on products with high consumer visibility and usage.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence to work on real-world projects that are needed to get a product shipped.

Nothing negative really sticks out.

Great place to work (good work-personal life balance), with projects spanning multiple industries. Ability to move around every few years, if needed.

Fantastic first internship with an exceptional company

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working with actual engineers and being treated as though I was a full member of the team rather than just an intern.

I felt as though the job I was given to complete over the summer was not enough work. I would work for about half the day and then I wouldn't know what to do with the other half because I wasn't given enough little projects to fill all my days.

I would suggest taking advantage of all the intern events that Garmin offers.

I was asked what I knew about the company and then I was asked about applications of simple data structures, like queues and stacks.

Amazing experience

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great pay, benefits, and atmosphere.

Enough money in the budget to hire hundreds of intern but not enough to hire many of them full time.

Work hard and network while your there.

Work/Learn/Play Hard

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Doing real work on real projects that span multiple teams and disciplines. Friendly and helpful coworkers, great benefits, fun times.

Depending on what you work on, certain tasks may get monotonous.

Garmin has a great culture, relaxed, good work-life balance. The location is nice, too.

Garmin: An Internship where Engineering Students Actually Engineer Things

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Software Development, C language, relaxed culture, Kansas City area, free housing

There were no cons for me

The people at Garmin are all very knowledgeable and nice

Real-world engineering experience in a great company culture

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pros:
1. Real-world projects: If I had not been doing that work, a full-time employee would have been.
2. Company culture: My team was really open to including me in walks, lunches, etc., and they were always willing to answer my questions and help expose me to new things (tour of the hanger, sitting in on design reviews, team meetings…).
3. Financial benefits: Not only was I making $22/hour, but I also did not have to pay for housing (nor did I have to find a place to live in an unfamiliar city). On top of that, I also received paid time off and discounts on products.
4. Involvement opportunities: Garmin put on multiple events just for interns, and there was also a social committee and a community service committee made entirely of interns.

1. I wish I could have received my biggest project earlier in the summer so I would have been able to complete it before going back to school, but we were waiting on parts, which was out of our control.
2. I did not know much at all about the design process when I started my internship, so it would have been helpful to have opportunities to be exposed to design in a more structured teaching setting. That is, I would have appreciated having my mentor or manager provide more guidance during the initial phases of my design so I had some direction when first starting out.

If you're looking for a summer internship that provides valuable real-world experience, great financial incentives, opportunities to become friends with other interns, and a whole lot of fun, Garmin is the place to work.

Summer Internship

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had a lot of freedom with my project and got to spend a lot of time doing "real" work.

Sometimes project slowed down as we dealt with the complications that come with working at a larger company.

Garmin is a great place to work, especially those in the engineering fields.

Great Culture, Uninteresting Work

The people were fantastic
The company structure allowed for sideways movement
Pay was great
Apartment was fantastic

My immediate team was negative
My immediate manager was not organized
My work progress was not monitored and critiqued

Garmin has a niche for everyone, you have to really search to find it, but you'll find it.

Advice to Management

Take team structure more seriously. Even as an intern I want to feel like my project matters through critique, deadlines, and motivation.

Identify the problems in this code snippet and explain what it does.

Work with smart, kind and helpful engineers

Raleigh, NC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to contribute in a meaningful way to the software going into production. Working closely with talented engineers who had many years of experience and gave constructive and timely feedback.

It was difficult to get the build environment up and working. This ate into productivity could easily be discouraging to an intern who is already out of his/her element.

If you love to learn, then there will be plenty of opportunity at Garmin as a software engineering intern. See if you can find out what you will be working on before arrival and spend some time on Wikipedia learning the background of the topic. Also, version control is everywhere; learn it.

Advice to Management

Update the new hire information so that the interns aren't doing it as they go. We are unfamiliar with pretty much every aspect of the job and company so if the walkthroughs were more relevant you would get more productive interns sooner into the internship.

Explain the difference between the heap and the stack.
Write the strlen() function from cstdlib.
Explain the different ways a class can access the member functions of another class in C++.