4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

and Get 1 FREE DAY

Best internship ever
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager allowed me space to do my work in my own way. My projects were interesting and challenging.

At times it was difficult to get the feedback necessary from tooling engineers

In my role at Garmin, I did not need to use in-depth analysis techniques as taught in engineering school. Creativity, practical knowledge and intuition are much more important. (this was my experience, I believe interns in the past have done substantial FEA work)

Advice to Management

I liked how i was not overwhelmed with boring (though possibly useful) training the first few days/weeks of my internship. for some people this may work well but for me, this would have been torture.

Garmin offered the best Internship program I have ever seen
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work-life balance, very good benefits and pay, many fun events

Cafeteria could be a bit better with more varietyies of heathier food

Work hard, learn lots and play hard, building a community with your fellow interns and team, have fun for your summer!

Rewarding and enjoyable experience with great pay, great hours, and free housing

pay, benefits, people, experience

not many job opportunities in some departments and no direct reasons given. People placed in departments that aren't hiring feel overlooked.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck. They want you to ask questions.

Standard behavioral questions only

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the business and hiring practices. Also, give more performance reviews and training sessions.

Great!
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to have ownership of some projects.

Being far away from friends and family.

Great culture, good pay. Highly recommend.

Garmin Lets Interns Fly!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the variety of projects I got to work on. I also greatly appreciated being able to fly in a G1000 equipped aircraft, it gave me a different appreciation for their product. The worst part was feeling stuck on several projects because my mentor and/or manager was not available to assist.

That my manager and mentor were gone for long periods of time.

Consider the atmosphere in which you would like to work. Garmin has a more casual work atmosphere than I was used to.

How would you troubleshoot a system with multiple parts that is failing on one end?

Advice to Management

Although their staff is ethnically diverse, there are very few women in Aviation Systems Engineering. I would encourage them to try to find qualified female candidates.

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

Gain experience doing real world work.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really learned how things work in the real world.

I felt like I didn't have a lot of interaction with the other interns.

Garmin is a great place to work. I felt like they did a good job introducing me to a great deal of things necessary for work in this industry.

A look into the Garmin Engineering World
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Treated like a real employee. Great immersive experience, lots of events to encourage social interaction with other interns.

In my position I didn't always have something to do on a daily basis. I'm sure this is not a problem for other areas so much. I was a well qualified candidate for the position I interviewed for and got.

Be yourself, the people here support that very much and was one of my favorite aspects of working there.

How to make the step from good programmer to professional software engineer,
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work with so many people on the same project. Mentoring was excellent too!

Sometimes the work would get repetitive.

Read your operating systems book! Learn how memory works too!

Tell me about your research. Tell me about your senior design project. Write some code to count the number of bits that are set in an 8 bit number.

Advice to Management

Place a higher value on graduate degrees. Travel compensation for interns.

great company and great people make for fun work
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Atmosphere, working on real projects

Didn't really have any negatives

Garmin is very laid back, interns are basically treated as full time employees, have heard great things from people in all departments