Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Computer Science Major Learns How To Write Production Code

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin provided housing which helped make working here more convenient . The PTO allowed me to take a few long weekends. I had an interesting assignment and grew as a software developer. My immediate supervisor frequently helped with problems and made me feel welcome.

Kansas City is a bit too hot for my taste. Some other interns had much less interesting work than me.

Try and find an interesting project rather than just writing module tests.

I looked at a short snippet of C code and explained how it worked. It had a few problems which I had to point out.

If you want to do something that actually matters, choose Garmin!

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Office culture, no dress code, cool projects, great team, flexible hours, great PTO, awesome experience.

Not a big fan of the Kansas City area.

Interns work on real projects that their teams work on. As an intern, you actually develop software that ends up being on the final product. The Garmin Internship program is awesome and a great real-life experience.

Tell me about any of your previous projects.
What is your best quality as a leader?
What is a pointer?

I had a great experience working as an intern at Garmin this summer.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I gained a lot of real world experience and made some great connections while I was here.

There were times where I would accomplish tasks quicker than expected and new tasks weren't ready for a while.

Be prepared to work on testing some sort of software if you're working as a software engineering intern. That's what most of them end up doing.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have work planned for your interns in case they finish the appointed tasks quicker than expected.

Perfect engineering internship for aviation enthusiasts.

Surrounded by passionate engineers
Lots of inexpensive flying opportunities
learning about a system that interests me
lots of autonomy for my engineering project
supporting engineering environment, great work culture
Kansas City, MO is a great city

Do not like the location in Kansas, Olathe is quite isolated
Work is heavy on electrical engineering

The company itself is incredible, very supportive and open
If you are interested in flying, it's a really great opportunity!
HAVING A CAR IS A MUST IF YOU PLAN TO DO ANYTHING

Advice to Management

Perhaps have a better system of mentorship and project assignment. For non-CS internships, the project is a more ambiguous and nebulous idea. For me, I'm kind of forming my own project, which is a very instructive exercise, but can be frustrating as well: difficult to find motivation when little is set out for me. I wish I was in more contact with interns and had a more consistent relationship with my boss.

Basic questions about previous engineering projects and work ethic.
One of the hardest questions: "When was a time that you sacrificed personal time and energy for the good of the group? Perhaps during a group project where you had to meet a deadline."

Local intern does engaging work, accidentally makes friends in the process

Portland, OR | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked working with all of the incredibly talented people at Garmin. For the most part, I was challenged with tasks that were suited to my abilities.

Sometimes I felt like I was assigned the tasks that nobody else wanted to work on, or didn't have time to do. Some of the testing I did was somewhat menial and only increased my understanding of a particular system instead of my understanding of broader engineering concepts that I could take back to school with me.

There is some lack of organizational clarity in the team regarding standard processes, procedures, and documentation. There are relatively few guidelines for how all of the responsibilities for the team are supposed to be fulfilled, which is frustrating for new hires trying to get a grasp on how things are done. Make sure to ask mentors and colleagues how things should be done in the meantime, but there is no procedural document that will provide this information.

Advice to Management

I would suggest establishing a new-hire training program for each team that details the processes, responsibilities, and standards that the team has. This could be as simple as a document included in the new hire package.

I don't remember the phrasing exactly, but I ended up discussing the following:

Tell me about _____ project you worked on.
What is something you feel is typically not done well in engineering projects?
Of all your accomplishments, which one are you most proud of and why?
How does GPS work?
How does the pitot-static system in an aircraft work?

Interesting in a fun way

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was exposed to many new concepts that I had never seen before.

Nothing that I can think of.

Know your C.

Fast-paced learning experience

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Doing real work on a client-facing product with technologies I was unfamiliar with at the start of the internship (I basically learned Android development as I was working on my first tasks). Also as someone who values comfort, the casual attire was a huge plus for me.

It felt like Garmin tried a little too hard to get us to "fall in love" with KC.

If you're working on something client facing such as the devices and their apps, be ready to learn quickly and be held to high expectations.

Advice to Management

The Lunch and Learns should either actually provide lunch or be only half an hour. Generally I found that I wouldn't use my whole lunch hour and being forced to use it to listen to a presentation was a large disincentive to attending them.

Can't remember specifically, but they were mostly general programming knowledge questions with one question where I was asked to write out the code to answer it.

Known-End-Date Engineer; Same Responsibilities of a Process Engineer

Portland, OR | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Treated like a process engineer, not an intern. I was given the same projects a typical engineer would be given. I am a known-end-date engineer, not an intern. They are also very focused on my career goals and what I want to accomplish

There is so much to learn in so little time, I want to become an expert in the jobs/tasks that I perform here.

The culture, Garmin really does have a unique culture, if you're looking for your average workplace and you don't want to get involved/be social, this is not the company for you. At Garmin you're given opportunities to seize.

Great Work Experience in a Relaxed Environment with Friendly Coworkers

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I'm very happy with most aspects of my internship. The pay is good and you aren't expected to work more than 40 hours or to do anything outside of work. Pretty much everyone I've met has been extremely friendly and cooperative making the workplace very stress-free and easygoing. Despite this, everyone still gets a lot of work done and wants to make the project a success.

I honestly have a hard time coming up with something very negative about this internship. I suppose I work in an inner part of the building, and so I don't have much natural light or scenery to look at.

You really get treated as a full-time employee while you're here. You get benefits, work on a team, and do actual work on projects being developed. If you want a realistic experience of writing software for a company, Garmin is a great choice.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if management was around to talk to more. A pretty large portion of the time when I need to talk to my manager, he's in a meeting or otherwise not in his office which can sometimes make it difficult to make forward progress.

The non-technical side of the interview was pretty standard. Questions like, "Why do you want to work at Garmin?"

The technical side was mostly over C and solving problems with it. Be able to write code by hand and explain your thought process and you should be fine.

Managing, Testing, and Releasing Avionics Software for Airplanes

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work/Life Balance, Team Members, Employee Culture, Company Values, Pay, Housing, Other Interns, Kansas City (Not too big, not too small, plenty to do)

Specific Position isn't Super Technical,

Garmin is a company with great core values, and which definitely helps as an associate. Being able to go out and do things is very useful, and do not expect to necessarily just sit back and have tasks assigned to you. This may vary considerably from team to team, however, as each segment (Aviation, Marine, Outdoor, Etc.) is run differently and is subject to different rules and regulations.

Advice to Management

Specifically for interns, a mid-cycle review through your manager/HR would be useful instead of just a final review. That way the intern can get additional feedback on how to do better and the intern's manager/HR can see how the intern responds to formal feedback about their performance