Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Log in to Submit a Review

Great Internship
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with awesome people on interesting projects, and I can work while going to school.

Nothing, it was all awesome.

Have confidence.

Expertise in Testing, Freedom in Development
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Wide exposure to different programming languages and systems
Seeing how the entire company functions with synergy

Heavy focus on testing rather than development

Learn as much as you can during your internship - the real-world application of your skills results in great advancement in your technical abilities

I learned so much. More than my previous internships.

Got to innovate

Some tasks had little requirements

Learn all you can

Advice to Management

More communication

Learned and made an impact in a great environment
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns were treated mostly the same as full-time employees; the projects given were challenging but not overwhelming, and they had a real effect on the company's products.

The company culture is hard-working but still relaxed and friendly. Associates are concerned with helping others learn and overcome roadblocks in addition to completing their assigned tasks.

Many opportunities existed for interns to interact outside of work, such as regular social and community service events.

Compensation and other benefits (e.g. free housing, paid time off) are very generous.

I was not placed in the division I requested.

The organization's people, benefits, and work/life balance are all good. One should consider if he or she is passionate about the sort of products the company develops.

Advice to Management

This company's products are facing heavy competition from very powerful players in the technology industry. The company's culture and people are great, but retention may become a problem if the company doesn't continually evaluate its strategy and seek ways to innovate.

I learned way more than I thought I could
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture. Everybody is very helpful and wants others to succeed. Because everybody is very helpful, it's also very easy to learn. So much learning took place.

I honestly can't think of one. I truly loved my internship.

Talk to your mentor. They are the biggest help you can get, and they will teach you so much.

Advice to Management

I can't find many negatives. I guess it could have been better, but honestly I didn't want to leave my last day.

Fix bugs and add features to Nuvi and Dezl PNDs
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Challenging work that provides room to set goals and grow.
- The work is meaningful; the maintenance team directly impacts millions of customers.
- Very flexible hours.

- Not the most social environment, but it is a job.
- Sometimes the work can be stressful, but this improves as experience is gained.

- Overall Garmin is an excellent company and is among the best in Kansas City. HIGHLY recommended.

A great oppurtunity to do hard yet exciting work, and have a lot of fun doing it. Got to work with awesome people on interesting projects.
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team that i worked on, we were a group of 8 interns that got to work together to test our section of a much larger project, with really good leadership. Also all the extra curricular activities, most put on by Garmin, outside of work where we had tons of fun.

Some of the first couple of days were really challenging, at least for me. Most people who were interning were from more local colleges, i was from Michigan. So being really so far away from everyone i knew was hard to get accustom to. But Garmin made this change really easy by supplying housing and setting up activities to meet people.

Be confident, just try your absolute best, they are not going to me mad that the new guy made a couple of mistakes. But most importantly, ask questions, the full-timers have tons of knowledge, and most are willing to share that with you so you don't get stuck and get lost.

Advice to Management

Honestly, i thought everything was amazing, compensation was fantastic, especially considering they supplied housing. The flex hours made it everything more comfortable, just about everyone i knew that wanted a position in the company, got one. The training was very extensive (if anything too long), but really supplied a lot of needed information.

learned a lot of actually useful stuff
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being part of a good culture

Too low level for me

Really think if this is where you want to work.

great
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

working while going to school

i didnt really dislike anything

I dont really know

Not the most exciting work, but a great experience
2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns all live in the same area (housing paid for) and there are loads of intern events that the company puts on.

The work was mostly writing tests.

If quality of work is most important to you, this probably isn't the best internship. But if you're looking for a great summer experience, then this internship is great.

Advice to Management

Talk to interns about promotion policies.