Garmin Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Real world project experience in a great work environment

Working environment, coworkers, real project that will benefit the company

Repetitive nature of day to day office life

Very welcoming and friend organization that cares about its employees. I was also treated as a member of the team, rather than an intern

Date: 2013

Fun times through the summer

The people there were all great and the atmosphere is so laid back

The summer ended too quickly

It is a great place to work and you should definitely try it.

Advice to Management

Everything was great sooo.... free ice cream?

Date: 2013

Garmin, a company that allows you to enjoy what you do.

The other employees and interns are great to work with or hang out with. Housing is paid for and very close to the office. The company pays it's interns a competitive rate. Garmin's cafe serves good food.

Housing is dorm style living.

This company is enjoyable to work for. The environment is relaxed and Garmin has policies in place to promote an enjoyable work environment.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I had to learn how to use alot of the tools and software that are standard at Garmin on my own, or with a little help from other engineers on my team. It would be helpful to have a formal training class on how to use these tools.

Date: 2013

Summer spent working with professional code and fixing real issues in it

The location of the office on campus, the readiness of full-time employees to help me out with any problems I may have, the pay, the real-world experience.

The training is extensive, it's easy to feel isolated from the rest of the company

This is a great place to intern if you want to work on real-world problems and experience a professional environment for programmers.

Aviation Software Engineer Intern Confirms Compliance with Requirements

The best aspect was definitely the team I worked with, and the culture of the company.

The work was mundane.

The company culture is great, and the pay is competitive. The work teaches you a lot, even if it seems monotonous, as most software intern work is.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of anything!

Date: 2013

Gained experience and knowledge while working with great people.

work on real projects, relaxed dress code, relaxed working hours,

end of the year project was a science fair type

great place to work, people are extremely friendly

Date: 2013

Casual office culture and helpful, insightful coworkers create a great opportunity to learn and pursue challenging work

1- relatively flexible hours 2- extremely welcoming and helpful coworkers 3- challenging and interesting work 4- allowed to solve problems in your own way

1- management is somewhat new to having interns, no real structure to the program

Explore every possible opportunity you can at Garmin. You might not know what to expect in coming here, but when you do, make sure you have your eyes open because there is always a lot of work to be done and initiative is important.

Advice to Management

Pay could be slightly higher. Perhaps an actual training program (even if short) could be helpful.

Date: 2013

One of the best internships for electronics development

- work environment is casual and open - interns do real work for the company and work integrally with teams - pay & benefits & free housing -social/networking opportunities through internship program and through company in general

The specific project of software testing that i have is sometimes boring.

Work is quite collaborative, and there is very little pressure from supervisors.

Advice to Management

In aviation, have more flexible hours for full time employees.

Date: 2013

Working in computer science/engineering? Good grades and time management skills? Work for Garmin!

Good pay, meaningful work most of the time, great co-workers and supervisors, relaxed work environment.

Too much of the work ended up being minor bug fixes which required nearly as much effort as they were worth.

If you aren't sure what you want to do, definitely try to get an internship with Garmin. Make sure you tell them your interests and strengths so they can put you on the most appropriate team. Definitely consider Garmin, especially for non-software positions as many other internship programs can push off meaningless work on interns; Garmin always has something you can do to improve the product and the company.

Advice to Management

I know it doesn't affect lots of interns, but those who live in Kansas City already may appreciate not having to drive an hour to get to work and an hour to get home every day. My biggest work-related advice would be to try to give interns something substantial to work on, especially if it involves collaboration. A 2-intern team working on a big feature over the summer is far more satisfying than each working separately on a handful of small projects.

Date: 2013

Get paid to code for aviation equipment and have fun!

The pay and the flexibility.

You are kept busy.

Take this job and love it.

Advice to Management

Have performances reviews before the last week, when it's too late to change anything.