Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

High stress work

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real hands on experience, good team atmosphere

Very high expectations, challenging tasks with little or no help

Be upfront with your manager about any concerns early in the internship and acknowledge any likes/dislikes of tasks early on.

Advice to Management

If you see a potential problem, bring it up in a one on one so the intern can address it rather than waiting until the end of internship evaluation to tell them all the things they could have done better.

Fun projects if you get a good mentor, most leadership is out of touch with younger generation- not very progressive

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Projects were fun because I had a great mentor
Mentorship is a great idea

Culture isn't great depending on your team
Not a progressive company
Company direction is struggling to find direction

Great place to start out and get experience, but not a place I would want to go full time

Advice to Management

Compensation is not competitive with west coast software offerings
Culture is not progressive, you need to consider different people's work styles objectively- not against your existing standards

Making a C program more efficient
Finding errors in printed code

Great company, great benefits, dull work if you are testing full time in aviation

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great benefits, other interns were awesome, nice facilities, good work/llfe balance, living arrangements was really nice.

The actual engineering I was doing was dull but necessary. My code reviewer was rude to me on many occassions, but I was forced to work with him because he was the resident expert on what I was doing.

Try your hardest not to work as a tester.

Advice to Management

There probably isn't a lot that can be done about interns doing full time testing, it's something that is easy to get started on and is necessary. But I know for a fact that many young, intelligent, creative engineering students are worn down by writing tests all summer. As a result they no longer wish to work at Garmin because they had such a tedious and predictable job. Please try to make sure that the interns get SOMETHING besides just the grunt work.

Garmin Aviation Interns Die of Boredom

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Writing it on the resume.

We were there full time doing the same thing over and over again. Not much to talk about when I apply for other jobs.

Unless you have a true passion for aviation, do not take this job. You will need to know every part of a plane and you will be told a countless number of times to just "walk through a flight."

Aviation support rep

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning the new tech

The call volume vs the pay. Eng interns $22+ hr, support interns 13.50...

The ability to be relaxed in a stressful situation, with people that have no clue how to operate a computer

Advice to Management

Would address the pay issue, 13.50 is no where near enough to deal with the customers, and the amount of work we did vs engineers that sat and looks at code all day

What experience with Garmin products do you have?

educational

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

free housing with great people

no career development

take it and love it. do more then is expected of you and you will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

more training and better explan what is needed to get a fulltime position

given a scale and a bag of infinite marbles with one marbles weighing more then the others, what is the fastest way to find the marbles ?

Aviation Internship

Having my own project.

Staring at a monitor for 8 hours a day

I received dual screen monitors and my own desk in a two person office (which I had to myself for most of the summer). The people are fairly friendly. My work, albeit necessary, was slightly boring. I was well compensated and accumulated PTO. Overall, I would say my internship at Garmin was pretty good.

14 weeks of work crammed into 9.

Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to actually design a product and then being able to physically see the end result.

I spent a majority of my day on the computer which became monotonous and slow.

Expect to work, but realize that you may be stuck on a computer all day.

Advice to Management

For interns, training in any area would have been nice. It would have provided opportunities to learn more.

Learned Lots

Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Seeing first hand all aspects of the how the supply chain interact together

Ran out of tasks for me to complete. I did not feel like I was being challenged or pushed.

Only treat the engineers special, not all other interns. If you are an engineer you would probably love it here.

Remedial bug fixing and bottom of the barrel tasks

Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being surrounded with highly intelligent people

The subject matter of my work. I was given busy work and tasks that nobody wanted to complete.

Request to not be placed on PND

Advice to Management

More training. Its nearly impossible to master a codebase this large without some kind of training process. More strictly enforce coding standards so different pieces of code can be read and used by the same person.