Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Great Culture, Uninteresting Work

The people were fantastic
The company structure allowed for sideways movement
Pay was great
Apartment was fantastic

My immediate team was negative
My immediate manager was not organized
My work progress was not monitored and critiqued

Garmin has a niche for everyone, you have to really search to find it, but you'll find it.

Advice to Management

Take team structure more seriously. Even as an intern I want to feel like my project matters through critique, deadlines, and motivation.

Identify the problems in this code snippet and explain what it does.

Work with smart, kind and helpful engineers

Raleigh, NC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to contribute in a meaningful way to the software going into production. Working closely with talented engineers who had many years of experience and gave constructive and timely feedback.

It was difficult to get the build environment up and working. This ate into productivity could easily be discouraging to an intern who is already out of his/her element.

If you love to learn, then there will be plenty of opportunity at Garmin as a software engineering intern. See if you can find out what you will be working on before arrival and spend some time on Wikipedia learning the background of the topic. Also, version control is everywhere; learn it.

Advice to Management

Update the new hire information so that the interns aren't doing it as they go. We are unfamiliar with pretty much every aspect of the job and company so if the walkthroughs were more relevant you would get more productive interns sooner into the internship.

Explain the difference between the heap and the stack.
Write the strlen() function from cstdlib.
Explain the different ways a class can access the member functions of another class in C++.

Great Experience

Kansas City, MO | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked on a fun, close knit team. Everyone was always willing to help out if I needed it. Paid Housing. Lots of other interns so it was easy to make new friends and there was always something to do.

I never really received any feedback throughout my internship, even at the end my manager had me provide him the answers to the review that he had filled out, so it was frustrating with how much work I was doing that I never knew if I was doing well or if I was doing poorly.

Learn as much as you can about the team you're interning with before you start your internship. Use the internship to network with employees in other teams as well, not just your team.

Advice to Management

It would've benefited myself and other interns to be able to see or explore other opportunities is Garmin, even if just for a day. My internship was for a very entry-level position at Garmin that employees frequently get promoted out of up to other opportunities at Garmin, but without being able to learn about those opportunities its hard to be sure if I would have a future at Garmin if offered a full time position.

I learned a lot about software development, but I was expecting more of a corporate internship.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning version control and code review processes. I enjoyed working with full time engineers & learning from them.

I was a little disappointed that I was on the maintenance team, because it wasn't as much development as I would have liked.

Garmin is an outstanding company with great people and products. This is a great internship and I learned a lot. My whole team was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and the company as a whole is fantastic.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give here. Management, in my case, did a great job.

What's a pointer? What's the difference between a linked list and a doubly linked list? What's the difference between the stack and the heap?

There are more, but it has been about 7 months since I interviewed.

Garmin: Where work meets play

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed getting to know my team and how the IT role functions in a engineering company. I loved how friendly and helpful people were.

The shirts that they gave us and not being able to truly meet some interns until the last weeks of my internship.

This is great company that truly wants you to succeed as in intern. Your project will matter and make a difference to their company. The project I worked on will soon be deployed globally to each Garmin office. They value your work and are always willing to help you.

Just what I needed

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really felt that the people I was working with cared about me and my development as a software engineer, both management and co-workers. They gave me a project to start with that was suitable for the level of experience I had.

Towards the end, the project I was working on did not have to do with the skills that I had hoped to develop.

I would recommend this organization for future internships. While the scope of the project you receive may vary largely, it is still a good development experience and an opportunity to meet good-hearted people.

Advice to Management

I would reduce the number of interns you take and increase the compensation to be more competitive in the market.

Work on real-world consumer products in a social yet hard-working atmosphere

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Location - Kansas City. Lots of events always going on outside of work.
Many interns - The intern program is great for meeting a lot of new people while having fun at the same time
Quality of Work - Worked on real tasks, learned a lot.
Atmosphere - Never once dreaded going to work. Very stress free atmosphere, but employees are still expected to perform duties.

I'm not sure how well the work I performed during the internship prepared me for finding a full-time position.

Garmin is in a great location and the workplace is very friendly.

Fantastic Garmin Internship

Tempe, AZ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin Culture and challenge of work provided.

Disorganization in non-headquarters HR team.

Be open and honest during the interview process, fully detail what you know, and if you do not know something, that is okay!

Bit masking problems, recursive functions, and data structures

Great experience, learned a lot and had fun while doing it

Team members, project, housing

Stare at computer screen most of the day

Garmin is a friendly place where work is fun and interesting, you will enjoy working here

Advice to Management

None

Here is a system, describe what you would do to write a basic code outline.
What do these terms mean?
Why does Garmin interest you?
What can you bring to the company?

Learn a ton while having fun!

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects included being treated like a real employee and feeling what its really like to work at a large company on a small team.

There was nothing that I disliked about the internship.

Its a great company that really values its employees.

Probability questions. Reviewing C code and looking for potential errors/mistakes.

Get Our Career Newsletter

Interview, resume and job search tips emailed directly to you.