4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

and Get 1 FREE DAY

Great place to work.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great work environment, supportive co-workers, meaningful impact.

A little more training would have been nice.

Truly a place that makes you want to come everyday; care about your health and work/personal life balance.

Educational, Fantastic, Flexible
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible work schedule around school hours

Understanding from managment about school obligations

After graduation potential

Engaging work

I wish there were bigger projects, though I do understand that the smaller projects and Jiras are aimed to allow us to be flexible in our schedule

Really seems to love their employees, take advantage of the learning opportunities and talk to your coworkers about their experiences

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

This is the reason you're getting your degree.
Anaheim, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned as much in the 6 month internship as i did in 3 years of college. Flexible hours, will help pay for your masters.

Some of the work is work that noone else in the office wanted to do, but thats being an intern in a nut shell.

Know your C++ programming, virtual functions, critical regions (mutex), and some programming models.

What is a pure virtual function? What is a critical region? What is a mutex? Be able to show in code proper inheritance of classes, and virtual functions.

Advice to Management

Honestly, everything was great.

Best internship ever
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager allowed me space to do my work in my own way. My projects were interesting and challenging.

At times it was difficult to get the feedback necessary from tooling engineers

In my role at Garmin, I did not need to use in-depth analysis techniques as taught in engineering school. Creativity, practical knowledge and intuition are much more important. (this was my experience, I believe interns in the past have done substantial FEA work)

Advice to Management

I liked how i was not overwhelmed with boring (though possibly useful) training the first few days/weeks of my internship. for some people this may work well but for me, this would have been torture.

Challenging work teaches student
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging but manageable. The team was helpful and easy to work with

I did not work very much with other interns

The atmosphere is positive

Take control of your internship!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of work, complete control over project, plenty of help from a team of experienced professionals

I did complete my project 2 weeks early and didn't have much other work allocated for me, so I felt idle at this time.

Garmin is a fantastic company. If you are an electrical or computer engineer, or computer science major, there is a lot of opportunity at this casual but enterprising corporation.

Many technical electrical engineering questions. For HR, fairly basic questions, such as: "When did you become interested in _______" and questions about prior experiences/involvements.

Advice to Management

I noticed that Garmin has a fairly high turnover rate, and I'm still not sure why. It does leave me a little concerned, but overall not too concerned, as most people I talked to love their job at Garmin.

Great time with GPS
Tulsa, OK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on a real project that will be released and sold to the masses.

We at the Tulsa office never went to the main office. Which I would have enjoyed doing.

Great benifits and purchasing program. Great people to work with. And a program for moving up.

Project that would apply to poistion.

Garmin Internship program rocks!

Great pay

Real software engineering work

Great experience

huge employee discount on products

Lack of instruction

Commit to learning a lot the first few weeks to figure out how to become a productive member here.

Know code. Garmin programs mostly in C or assembly language. During my interview I was given a short "quiz" on the C language. Relatively simple things such as: determining the output of simple functions, identifying errors in code, and optimizing code.

Rewarding and enjoyable experience with great pay, great hours, and free housing

pay, benefits, people, experience

not many job opportunities in some departments and no direct reasons given. People placed in departments that aren't hiring feel overlooked.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck. They want you to ask questions.

Standard behavioral questions only

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the business and hiring practices. Also, give more performance reviews and training sessions.