Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Garmin gives interns real-world engineering experience

Kansas City, MO | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was fast-paced and challenging, the people were welcoming, and the opportunities for involvement were numerous

It was a little difficult to get to know the other interns because we were working on such different projects

Expect to work hard during the summer and be challenged.

Great Experience

Paid Housing

Lack of communication from Manager

Find a field/department you'd enjoy working in

Verifying Aviation software with Module Testing

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was the work environment

The monotony of the work was the least likable thing about the internship.

Garmin has a great work environment, but the work might no be very exciting.

Low-level Software Engineering Internship

Realistic, on-the-job experience

Poor communication with HR & management. Miscommunication led to several misunderstandings about a potential future with the company.

Experience will vary based on your team. Overall the environment and opportunity is good. Be forthcoming in voicing your concerns to management & HR as they will not always be honest or timely with addressing any issues that come up.

Advice to Management

Be more open about Garmin's long-term internship program (i.e. year round interns in Manhattan, Rolla, & Lawrence). If this is a program that is valuable to the company, they need to emphasize it more and dedicate more funds and attention to it. It was sad to see such a promising and unique program start to die due to a lack of attention and outright neglect from upper management.

Describe how you would solve problems relating to hardware/software trade-offs. Describe a time when you had to use a certain problem-solving skill. Describe your learning style. Describe a class that you really enjoyed and why. Etc.

Challenging but rewarding experience.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company treats the interns well, and as full time associates (PTO, competitive wages, holidays off). Also got to learn what it would really be like to work as a full time associate.

Was placed in a department doing work I specifically said I did not enjoy.

Was great to learn and be apart of the Garmin culture as an intern - while it sounded similar to previous companies I have worked for, every place is a little different on how it operates and what it values.

Advice to Management

Receive more detailed information about candidates to place them in departments of business segments more effectively. Working on displays vs. system testing vs. code libraries are all very different areas of CSE and can really make a difference on enjoying what you are working on.

Describe Mutex Locks and Semaphores and how they relate to Multi threaded applications.

Garmin provided great insight and hands-on experience that would be expected in a full time position

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Team environment was full of energy, surrounded by excellent engineers, moving through and finishing up tasks was fulfilling.

was a bit difficult (socially) to come to garmin - my internship date was months after other interns started. Other interns were all settled in when i was just starting.

Be passionate about your work. There are a lot of engineers / other employees that have worked with the company for a long time who really care about their work.

Use KCL or KVL to solve for the output voltage of op-amp.
high / low pass filter analysis
digital logic circuit analysis

Great opportunities for computer engineers, software developers' mileage may vary

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

arranged and paid housing, campus and zen garden are nice, onsite breakfast, lunch, and snacks offered, mentorship and guidance

sometimes did not have anything to work on, work was sometimes not very interesting, intern events were not well-planned at by the end of the summer and were not very diverse (a lot of sports-based events), offices tend to be beige, bland and poorly-lit

There are a lot of opportunities to work with hardware or program at a low level, but there opportunities for higher-level software programming are limited. While I knew that I was doing real work as an intern, it was clear that my assigned projects were low-priority, so it didin't always feel like fulfilling work.

Amazing Software Engineering opportunity.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on real projects that will eventually make it out to the world. Working with awesome team mates, who genuinely care about my contributions and ideas. Working for a company that really makes a difference in peoples' lives.

Only that it was an internship, and not my current job.

Give it your all, never hesitate to ask. People love to hear you ask questions.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Show that you value valuable work, and continue to be supportive and accepting to questions.

Learn How the Real World Works

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed that I was able to do something useful to my team that was within my skill level while not being too easy.

I really didn't have any major problems. Some topics were less interesting than others, but that is part of life.

Go ahead and apply. It's worth it if you get the job.

Incredible Learning Opportunity

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learn so much more than I do in class.

Commute to work was longer than I would have liked but nothing about the actual job.

Do it. It's an incredible experience and I gained priceless knowledge and skills

I was asked to determine the output of a section of C code. Know pointers.