Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Real Work, Real Projects. No Pet Projects Here!

Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

That I got to work on real projects and that I learned so much this summer.

The drive. It was an hour from where I live (my choice though in taking the internship).

Be willing to learn. Also, take as many computer science classes as you can.

He asked me to solve a lot of basic computing problems. I don't remember what they are.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have gotten to know the office a little better, since it was a small satellite office.

Hit the ground running.

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience working on shippable features and cases.

Flexible work hours.

Beautiful facility.

An office culture that promotes mental and physical health.

Location. Chandler isn't awful but its not great.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Mentors are incredibly helpful.

Implement itoa.

Advice to Management

More interaction between departments would increase worker cohesion and morale. More intern meetups would do similarly at a more critical period in their career.

Educational, Fantastic, Flexible

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible work schedule around school hours

Understanding from managment about school obligations

After graduation potential

Engaging work

I wish there were bigger projects, though I do understand that the smaller projects and Jiras are aimed to allow us to be flexible in our schedule

Really seems to love their employees, take advantage of the learning opportunities and talk to your coworkers about their experiences

Challenging and rewarding

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Projects I worked on and what I learned.

Location, not the west coast.

It is a very relaxed environment where you are treated like a professional until proven otherwise. Help is readily available if you need it but no one will be there to check on you constantly if you do not seek it for yourself. Ask questions, learn all you can, and enjoy the projects you get.

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

Kansas City's best software engineering internships

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good pay for the area, strong mentoring process, very friendly environment

I would have liked to get more feedback from my mentor and manager along the way.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - but when possible, always provide your own potential solutions to the question.

Explain what this set of code does. How would you optimize it?

Advice to Management

Compensation is low compared to Silicon Valley (understandable). It's already a great work environment, with nice facilities and friendly peopel.

This is the reason you're getting your degree.

Anaheim, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned as much in the 6 month internship as i did in 3 years of college. Flexible hours, will help pay for your masters.

Some of the work is work that noone else in the office wanted to do, but thats being an intern in a nut shell.

Know your C++ programming, virtual functions, critical regions (mutex), and some programming models.

What is a pure virtual function? What is a critical region? What is a mutex? Be able to show in code proper inheritance of classes, and virtual functions.

Advice to Management

Honestly, everything was great.

Rewarding and enjoyable experience with great pay, great hours, and free housing

pay, benefits, people, experience

not many job opportunities in some departments and no direct reasons given. People placed in departments that aren't hiring feel overlooked.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck. They want you to ask questions.

Standard behavioral questions only

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the business and hiring practices. Also, give more performance reviews and training sessions.

An Incredible Experience

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was working on

The thing that I liked "least" was working on the project in its current phase. To elaborate, our product was in its certification phase, which means there is very little development work to be done, and lots of busy work spent testing the system. However, this is a very important part of any product, and provides an incredible internship experience, it just isn't always the most riveting thing to be done.

As with any internship, make sure that you engage in the culture that exists. Get to know the employees that you are working with. As silly as it sounds, going out to lunch with people on the team can really help you assimilate into the culture and get others used to having you there.

Evaluate this piece of recursive code.

What kind of embedded or systems projects have you worked on?

Advice to Management

"Corporate" training was loosely defined and not well documented on what we were supposed to complete and by when.

Work with many different technologies to find your niche.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to work in a mature code base, and an amazing mentor.

Garmin is a huge company, and I feel like I didn't get enough of an idea what working with other divisions would be like.

Garmin has a wide range of products, and you can certainly find somewhere you will fit.