Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Challenging work teaches student

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging but manageable. The team was helpful and easy to work with

I did not work very much with other interns

The atmosphere is positive

Work on real projects with great people in a relaxed and friendly environment.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture, free housing, the pay, and getting to work on real company projects.

No real training was provided.

This is a software/hardware company that is primarily focused on embedded systems, so software engineers be aware that the coding is probably lower level than what you are familiar with. However, it is still a very interesting place to work with a very friendly company culture.

Advice to Management

Provide more detailed training to interns.

Take control of your internship!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of work, complete control over project, plenty of help from a team of experienced professionals

I did complete my project 2 weeks early and didn't have much other work allocated for me, so I felt idle at this time.

Garmin is a fantastic company. If you are an electrical or computer engineer, or computer science major, there is a lot of opportunity at this casual but enterprising corporation.

Many technical electrical engineering questions. For HR, fairly basic questions, such as: "When did you become interested in _______" and questions about prior experiences/involvements.

Advice to Management

I noticed that Garmin has a fairly high turnover rate, and I'm still not sure why. It does leave me a little concerned, but overall not too concerned, as most people I talked to love their job at Garmin.

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

This is the reason you're getting your degree.

Anaheim, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned as much in the 6 month internship as i did in 3 years of college. Flexible hours, will help pay for your masters.

Some of the work is work that noone else in the office wanted to do, but thats being an intern in a nut shell.

Know your C++ programming, virtual functions, critical regions (mutex), and some programming models.

What is a pure virtual function? What is a critical region? What is a mutex? Be able to show in code proper inheritance of classes, and virtual functions.

Advice to Management

Honestly, everything was great.

Software testing

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and people you work with.

Software testing, while ideal for an internship due to time required, is often boring.

Lots of opportunities to get involved, take advantage.

Optimize a code sample.

What technical hobbies/projects have you worked on?

Hit the ground running.

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience working on shippable features and cases.

Flexible work hours.

Beautiful facility.

An office culture that promotes mental and physical health.

Location. Chandler isn't awful but its not great.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Mentors are incredibly helpful.

Implement itoa.

Advice to Management

More interaction between departments would increase worker cohesion and morale. More intern meetups would do similarly at a more critical period in their career.

Challenging and rewarding

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Projects I worked on and what I learned.

Location, not the west coast.

It is a very relaxed environment where you are treated like a professional until proven otherwise. Help is readily available if you need it but no one will be there to check on you constantly if you do not seek it for yourself. Ask questions, learn all you can, and enjoy the projects you get.

Real Work, Real Projects. No Pet Projects Here!

Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

That I got to work on real projects and that I learned so much this summer.

The drive. It was an hour from where I live (my choice though in taking the internship).

Be willing to learn. Also, take as many computer science classes as you can.

He asked me to solve a lot of basic computing problems. I don't remember what they are.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have gotten to know the office a little better, since it was a small satellite office.

An Incredible Experience

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was working on

The thing that I liked "least" was working on the project in its current phase. To elaborate, our product was in its certification phase, which means there is very little development work to be done, and lots of busy work spent testing the system. However, this is a very important part of any product, and provides an incredible internship experience, it just isn't always the most riveting thing to be done.

As with any internship, make sure that you engage in the culture that exists. Get to know the employees that you are working with. As silly as it sounds, going out to lunch with people on the team can really help you assimilate into the culture and get others used to having you there.

Evaluate this piece of recursive code.

What kind of embedded or systems projects have you worked on?

Advice to Management

"Corporate" training was loosely defined and not well documented on what we were supposed to complete and by when.