4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

This is the reason you're getting your degree.
Anaheim, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned as much in the 6 month internship as i did in 3 years of college. Flexible hours, will help pay for your masters.

Some of the work is work that noone else in the office wanted to do, but thats being an intern in a nut shell.

Know your C++ programming, virtual functions, critical regions (mutex), and some programming models.

What is a pure virtual function? What is a critical region? What is a mutex? Be able to show in code proper inheritance of classes, and virtual functions.

Advice to Management

Honestly, everything was great.

Work on real projects with great people in a relaxed and friendly environment.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture, free housing, the pay, and getting to work on real company projects.

No real training was provided.

This is a software/hardware company that is primarily focused on embedded systems, so software engineers be aware that the coding is probably lower level than what you are familiar with. However, it is still a very interesting place to work with a very friendly company culture.

Advice to Management

Provide more detailed training to interns.

Great internship program at a great engineering company
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

How approachable everyone was. I felt I could always ask questions, and was encouraged to do so. The work I did I felt was very applicable to my career, and enjoyed every bit of my internship there. The amount of work "assigned" (for lack of a better term) was not outrageous, but challenging. I learned a lot this summer, and hope to continue my work with Garmin in the future.

Nothing at all!

Bring your thinking cap, because jumping in on a project as large as some of the ones you might work on here will be a challenge. But all of the engineers here are very competent in their work and are able to help. Within days of being there I already felt like part of the team, and was contributing a good amount.

Work with many different technologies to find your niche.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to work in a mature code base, and an amazing mentor.

Garmin is a huge company, and I feel like I didn't get enough of an idea what working with other divisions would be like.

Garmin has a wide range of products, and you can certainly find somewhere you will fit.

great company and great people make for fun work
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Atmosphere, working on real projects

Didn't really have any negatives

Garmin is very laid back, interns are basically treated as full time employees, have heard great things from people in all departments

Great place to work.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great work environment, supportive co-workers, meaningful impact.

A little more training would have been nice.

Truly a place that makes you want to come everyday; care about your health and work/personal life balance.

Garmin Internship program rocks!

Great pay

Real software engineering work

Great experience

huge employee discount on products

Lack of instruction

Commit to learning a lot the first few weeks to figure out how to become a productive member here.

Know code. Garmin programs mostly in C or assembly language. During my interview I was given a short "quiz" on the C language. Relatively simple things such as: determining the output of simple functions, identifying errors in code, and optimizing code.

Garmin Lets Interns Fly!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the variety of projects I got to work on. I also greatly appreciated being able to fly in a G1000 equipped aircraft, it gave me a different appreciation for their product. The worst part was feeling stuck on several projects because my mentor and/or manager was not available to assist.

That my manager and mentor were gone for long periods of time.

Consider the atmosphere in which you would like to work. Garmin has a more casual work atmosphere than I was used to.

How would you troubleshoot a system with multiple parts that is failing on one end?

Advice to Management

Although their staff is ethnically diverse, there are very few women in Aviation Systems Engineering. I would encourage them to try to find qualified female candidates.

Garmin offered the best Internship program I have ever seen
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work-life balance, very good benefits and pay, many fun events

Cafeteria could be a bit better with more varietyies of heathier food

Work hard, learn lots and play hard, building a community with your fellow interns and team, have fun for your summer!