Garmin Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Engineer paid to write software to test other software.

Probably the people here.

My mentor and I don't communicate very well, so I don't always know what I'm supposed to be doing or why the things I'm doing aren't working.

Garmin has great people and it is a great place to work. If you are a software or hardware engineer, this should definitely be on your list of places to apply to.

Advice to Management

I could definitely have used more training to help me get going faster and give me a better idea of how certain things are supposed to be done.

Software Engineering Intership

Working on projects that is not interns only project. Choosing the features to work on.

The number of people that was available to review the code was limited. No HR representive at the branch.

Find a knowledgeable person about the project you are working on and let him mentor you.

Advice to Management

Better explanations of the roles of other team members.

Date: 2013

Learn your way and have your say -- join the team.

The work environment was very comfortable: there was no formal dress code and I was able to eat lunch with my team almost every day. I appreciated being invited to all of the planning and retrospective meetings for our project sprints and being able to give my opinion. The work was enjoyable and I'm glad I was able to help produce a product that people will be working with directly in the real world.

My least favorite part would probably be just how different the internship would start from how i expected. We had to setup our computers to begin with, which would be fine except that I had to install a new operating system over the older one and figure out which programs were compatible and which I'd have to find a replacement for. After that, I was given a few quick assignments with some of the main applications. I would be more than happy to do them now, but as I didn't know anything about the applications back then, it took quite a bit longer than it should have to do the work because I had to just sit there and go through everything to make sure my changes were made at the right level without having any unexpected consequences.

Garmin has a nice work environment, but the individual sections of the company can operate fairly differently. I worked with the fitness cartography section, which fit my work style by being a bit more laid back. On the other hand, groups like Aviation have many more regulations to follow due to the serious consequences of any errors in their work, so interns who worked for that section were doing a lot of testing. Just speak with the recruiter and/or interviewers you have a chance to meet and try to find the section that best fits you.

Advice to Management

I would just suggest trying to consolidate all of the programs and events interns can go to in the area in one place. It was difficult sometimes to try to figure out when something was going on if there were multiple places we had to go look for it, especially when the interns aren't from around the area.

Date: 2013

Interns at Garmin doing real work

Treated as equals

Lots of testing within Aviation field

Great to work on real-world products that make a difference

Date: 2013

Gained experience and knowledge while working with great people.

work on real projects, relaxed dress code, relaxed working hours,

end of the year project was a science fair type

great place to work, people are extremely friendly

Date: 2013

Great industry experience among amazing people.

The work and the people were amazing.

I don't care much about airplanes, and I need more windows. Sitting in a secluded room all day drives me a little mad.

Go in with what you know and don't be afraid to use it. That said, do not be afraid to ask if you need to. People are really helpful, and you get better at your job by watching those more experienced.

Advice to Management

A more prominent stance on how LGBT workers are viewed/will be treated by the company would be amazing. I know in training videos, the words "sexual orientation" were used among protections but they were followed up with "according to law". As far as I know LGBT persons' jobs are not protected by Kansas law. I just don't know if I am able to speak about family with coworkers, etc.

Date: 2013

One of the best internships for electronics development

- work environment is casual and open - interns do real work for the company and work integrally with teams - pay & benefits & free housing -social/networking opportunities through internship program and through company in general

The specific project of software testing that i have is sometimes boring.

Work is quite collaborative, and there is very little pressure from supervisors.

Advice to Management

In aviation, have more flexible hours for full time employees.

Helping Pioneer the Highschool Intern Program

Getting to see what it was like working fulltime for a large engineering company.

Not much really.

Be confident in your interviews, and dont be afraid to say you don't know something they ask.

Date: 2013

When given the opportunity to work with a great team, it doesn't feel like work at all.

- My assigned project is the highlight. Agile development introduces so much visibility and fast movement to where I can see and interact with my entire project's functionality. - The pay is a huge perk for an internship. - The living arrangements at MNU are perfect. Free living, great staff, and only 2 miles from Garmin HQ. - The team that I work with are a great group of folks. They put in serious, hard work to reach great accomplishments + they know when and how to lighten the mood when times get stressful.

- Apply early; Garmin opens the hiring doors in early fall, and they will send out offers in as little as a week or two after interviews if they like you. - Get involved on campus. Involvement in campus jobs, organizations, and personal projects play a vital role in whether the hiring staff will be interested in your or not. - Garmin will typically ask questions about your past experience with groups/teams. Try to get some of this experience before applying so that you have some stories to tell.

Advice to Management

- There should be more opportunities to see aspects of other employee roles (e.g. job shadowing for a day). - There needs to be more initial "overview training" to make it easier for interns to wrap their heads around the processes and applications that they will be directly or indirectly working with. - Developers should be treated slightly better; they are the heart of a tech company. IT can essentially live without intermediaries (PMs, BAs, etc.). Developers are the drivers of IT.

Date: 2013

Real world project experience in a great work environment

Working environment, coworkers, real project that will benefit the company

Repetitive nature of day to day office life

Very welcoming and friend organization that cares about its employees. I was also treated as a member of the team, rather than an intern