Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Learn your way and have your say -- join the team.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work environment was very comfortable: there was no formal dress code and I was able to eat lunch with my team almost every day. I appreciated being invited to all of the planning and retrospective meetings for our project sprints and being able to give my opinion. The work was enjoyable and I'm glad I was able to help produce a product that people will be working with directly in the real world.

My least favorite part would probably be just how different the internship would start from how i expected. We had to setup our computers to begin with, which would be fine except that I had to install a new operating system over the older one and figure out which programs were compatible and which I'd have to find a replacement for. After that, I was given a few quick assignments with some of the main applications. I would be more than happy to do them now, but as I didn't know anything about the applications back then, it took quite a bit longer than it should have to do the work because I had to just sit there and go through everything to make sure my changes were made at the right level without having any unexpected consequences.

Garmin has a nice work environment, but the individual sections of the company can operate fairly differently. I worked with the fitness cartography section, which fit my work style by being a bit more laid back. On the other hand, groups like Aviation have many more regulations to follow due to the serious consequences of any errors in their work, so interns who worked for that section were doing a lot of testing. Just speak with the recruiter and/or interviewers you have a chance to meet and try to find the section that best fits you.

Advice to Management

I would just suggest trying to consolidate all of the programs and events interns can go to in the area in one place. It was difficult sometimes to try to figure out when something was going on if there were multiple places we had to go look for it, especially when the interns aren't from around the area.

Casual office culture and helpful, insightful coworkers create a great opportunity to learn and pursue challenging work
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

1- relatively flexible hours

2- extremely welcoming and helpful coworkers

3- challenging and interesting work

4- allowed to solve problems in your own way

1- management is somewhat new to having interns, no real structure to the program

Explore every possible opportunity you can at Garmin. You might not know what to expect in coming here, but when you do, make sure you have your eyes open because there is always a lot of work to be done and initiative is important.

Advice to Management

Pay could be slightly higher. Perhaps an actual training program (even if short) could be helpful.

An Excellent Opportunity

- Working on meaningful projects

- Seeing the software development cycle of a large business

- Learning about new technologies

- Working in a software development team

- Location

- Work environment

There are no glaring cons that I can think of.

The company environment is great, and they will trust interns with working on products that will be released. Even though they expect a lot out of the interns, they won't leave you hanging. They will help you along the way to completing your task.

The compensation is great, and free housing is tough to beat. They also offer a job to a significant portion of their interns.

Kansas City is a great place to live as well.

Advice to Management

I had friends in Aviation who spoke of getting overtime (up to a half hour a day) every week. It would be nice to have that option in all departments (I was in Auto OEM).

Garmin, where the interns actually matter
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

a lot of free reign over my project. Being able to host meetings on a subject. Working on an interdisciplinary team to fulfill of the project goals including electrical design, software, and mechanical design.

I wish my office would have been able to look outside, the rooms were a little dark.

Come in and give it everything you have. Its more fun when you can see the progress of the project roll out in front of you. Also don't be afraid to ask for help or direction. You won't know all of the Garmin requirements so just ask so you aren't searching for hours.

Advice to Management

I cant speak for certain on any of these topics because I have only been here for 3 months. But it seems like the ladder which you can climb in the company is rather slow. But overall I feel that the internship was very helpful to the progress of young engineers.

Garmin: Great Place to Intern
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were the greatest part of the internship.

Running tests on the a run time library for 9 weeks.

Definitely go for Garmin. It's an amazing place to work.

Life in KC with Garmin: AWESOME!
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The housing is free for those who have to move, it pays well, and there are lots of other interns with whom you can hang out and explore KC. Also, there is no dress code so I wore shorts all summer.

There weren't any aspects I disliked.

This is a great place to work. Interns are given real work and you will learn a lot.

Advice to Management

I don't see any problems.

The quick, brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

Advice to Management

The quick, brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

Working Behind the Scenes
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was being able to interact with a lot of different full time employees as well as other interns.

What I liked least about the internship was that my project very much rested on my shoulders. Obviously it was nice to have responsibility, but it was difficult to troubleshoot when no one else was working on the project with me.

My advice would be to ask lots of questions in order to not waste time trying to figure it out yourself.

Advice to Management

The orientation for the whole company was good, but I wished there was more specific training for my team in particular so that I knew how things worked in the day-to-day life.

Great experience for most
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

All interns receive real work that is actually used.

Housing is taken care of (and paid!)

Appointed mentors who can answer your questions or point you to the right person to ask.

I was given new tasks every week and covered a large portion of the code, which kept my work interesting.

Overtime pay/PTO.

Discount on Garmin products.

Some interns (specifically a small group of aviation software interns) got bad luck and were assigned to work on one testing project for the entire internship. In one case, these tests involved manual tests, not coding. This is not the majority however.

The technical questions that were asked at the interview were extremely basic and made me nervous about the kind of work I was going to be doing.

Work with HR if you get an offer and try to convince them to not put you on some manual/GATE testing team for aviation. Doing some basic testing is normal and is usually used as a first assignment, but you don't want to be doing it for the entire internship.

Study GIT hard before you come here, and make sure you remember the basic things about C.

Aviaition Design Intern
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on actual Garmin products, having my work actually go into a product

Starts of slow, probably like every job in the world I guess

Just stick with it for the first week as thing settle down and after that you will be fine