Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Challenging and rewarding

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Projects I worked on and what I learned.

Location, not the west coast.

It is a very relaxed environment where you are treated like a professional until proven otherwise. Help is readily available if you need it but no one will be there to check on you constantly if you do not seek it for yourself. Ask questions, learn all you can, and enjoy the projects you get.

Real Work, Real Projects. No Pet Projects Here!

Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

That I got to work on real projects and that I learned so much this summer.

The drive. It was an hour from where I live (my choice though in taking the internship).

Be willing to learn. Also, take as many computer science classes as you can.

He asked me to solve a lot of basic computing problems. I don't remember what they are.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have gotten to know the office a little better, since it was a small satellite office.

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

Rewarding and enjoyable experience with great pay, great hours, and free housing

pay, benefits, people, experience

not many job opportunities in some departments and no direct reasons given. People placed in departments that aren't hiring feel overlooked.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck. They want you to ask questions.

Standard behavioral questions only

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the business and hiring practices. Also, give more performance reviews and training sessions.

Great!

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to have ownership of some projects.

Being far away from friends and family.

Great culture, good pay. Highly recommend.

Garmin Lets Interns Fly!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the variety of projects I got to work on. I also greatly appreciated being able to fly in a G1000 equipped aircraft, it gave me a different appreciation for their product. The worst part was feeling stuck on several projects because my mentor and/or manager was not available to assist.

That my manager and mentor were gone for long periods of time.

Consider the atmosphere in which you would like to work. Garmin has a more casual work atmosphere than I was used to.

How would you troubleshoot a system with multiple parts that is failing on one end?

Advice to Management

Although their staff is ethnically diverse, there are very few women in Aviation Systems Engineering. I would encourage them to try to find qualified female candidates.

A look into the Garmin Engineering World

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Treated like a real employee. Great immersive experience, lots of events to encourage social interaction with other interns.

In my position I didn't always have something to do on a daily basis. I'm sure this is not a problem for other areas so much. I was a well qualified candidate for the position I interviewed for and got.

Be yourself, the people here support that very much and was one of my favorite aspects of working there.

Work with many different technologies to find your niche.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to work in a mature code base, and an amazing mentor.

Garmin is a huge company, and I feel like I didn't get enough of an idea what working with other divisions would be like.

Garmin has a wide range of products, and you can certainly find somewhere you will fit.

Great internship program at a great engineering company

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

How approachable everyone was. I felt I could always ask questions, and was encouraged to do so. The work I did I felt was very applicable to my career, and enjoyed every bit of my internship there. The amount of work "assigned" (for lack of a better term) was not outrageous, but challenging. I learned a lot this summer, and hope to continue my work with Garmin in the future.

Nothing at all!

Bring your thinking cap, because jumping in on a project as large as some of the ones you might work on here will be a challenge. But all of the engineers here are very competent in their work and are able to help. Within days of being there I already felt like part of the team, and was contributing a good amount.

Garmin's Internship Program is one of the best.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning where to use requirements documents and how to write tests properly.

Work was a little boring to write tests for a full 11 weeks.

Garmin treats its interns very well. Great social experience, great pay, and free housing.

Advice to Management

Less unit testing would be nice. Important, but very boring.