Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Develop in C/C++ for GPS fleet tracking device fixing bugs and implementing new features

Development work

Down time

You should have knowledge of C and C++

Date: 2013

Solid experience with a solid company

I worked very closely with my mentor, and really felt like part of the team. The overall culture was very positive, and it felt like all of the interns that I met were working on reasonably important projects. The managers did a good job selecting tasks that were not trivial, but were also not impossible for interns to complete. HR was very flexible with my start date; they allowed me to start late so that I could participate in an international tour with my college singing group.

The office had very few windows, but interns had the same setup as full time associates, so it is not the fault of the internship program. My computer was not set up with the correct software (which took a lot of time to fix), but that was a fluke.

Garmin is a great company which will make every effort to help you make meaningful contributions, while still respecting the fact that you are an intern. The office culture is very friendly and fairly flexible and casual, although it may not be as "hip and cool" as other companies. HR does make an effort to provide social experiences outside of work, but the actual execution depends on how active all the other interns are.

Advice to Management

My "biggest" issues came from the aesthetics of the offices, which admittedly can only be changed so much. More windows/skylights would be great, but somewhat impractical. Painting the walls with various colors is great and should be continued; the splashes of color near where my office was situated are great.

Date: 2013

The internship full of invaluable experiences, full-time employee benefits, and great people!

The experience I gained and the contribution I was able to make to cool innovative products.

Nothing comes to mind at the moment. The only thing I could say that I liked the least was that my internship was out of town, but that is just a reality I've learned to accept and is a reality in many internship opportunities.

If I had to give any advice to a potential intern, I would say do not be scared or intimidated, get involved with as much as you can (with Garmin and with other interns), and enjoy the work you are doing. Enjoy yourself (this part is easy), but make sure you stay professional and put forth extra effort (doesn't go unnoticed).

Advice to Management

I honestly can't think of anything to say to management. I personally haven't had another internship to compare this too, but based on my experience and others' experiences, I would say everything about the internship experience at Garmin is top notch. The compensation is more than reasonable, especially since many internships are unpaid.

Date: 2013

Real world project experience in a great work environment

Working environment, coworkers, real project that will benefit the company

Repetitive nature of day to day office life

Very welcoming and friend organization that cares about its employees. I was also treated as a member of the team, rather than an intern

Aviation Software Engineer Intern Confirms Compliance with Requirements

The best aspect was definitely the team I worked with, and the culture of the company.

The work was mundane.

The company culture is great, and the pay is competitive. The work teaches you a lot, even if it seems monotonous, as most software intern work is.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of anything!

Date: 2013

Garmin, a company that allows you to enjoy what you do.

The other employees and interns are great to work with or hang out with. Housing is paid for and very close to the office. The company pays it's interns a competitive rate. Garmin's cafe serves good food.

Housing is dorm style living.

This company is enjoyable to work for. The environment is relaxed and Garmin has policies in place to promote an enjoyable work environment.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I had to learn how to use alot of the tools and software that are standard at Garmin on my own, or with a little help from other engineers on my team. It would be helpful to have a formal training class on how to use these tools.

Writing Code All Summer

working on real projects and flexibility of my duties

..........

The internship is fun and was a very fufiling experience

An Excellent Opportunity

- Working on meaningful projects - Seeing the software development cycle of a large business - Learning about new technologies - Working in a software development team - Location - Work environment

There are no glaring cons that I can think of.

The company environment is great, and they will trust interns with working on products that will be released. Even though they expect a lot out of the interns, they won't leave you hanging. They will help you along the way to completing your task. The compensation is great, and free housing is tough to beat. They also offer a job to a significant portion of their interns. Kansas City is a great place to live as well.

Advice to Management

I had friends in Aviation who spoke of getting overtime (up to a half hour a day) every week. It would be nice to have that option in all departments (I was in Auto OEM).

Date: 2013

Life in KC with Garmin: AWESOME!

The housing is free for those who have to move, it pays well, and there are lots of other interns with whom you can hang out and explore KC. Also, there is no dress code so I wore shorts all summer.

There weren't any aspects I disliked.

This is a great place to work. Interns are given real work and you will learn a lot.

Advice to Management

I don't see any problems.

The quick, brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

Advice to Management

The quick, brown fox jumped over the lazy dog