Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Local intern does engaging work, accidentally makes friends in the process

Portland, OR | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked working with all of the incredibly talented people at Garmin. For the most part, I was challenged with tasks that were suited to my abilities.

Sometimes I felt like I was assigned the tasks that nobody else wanted to work on, or didn't have time to do. Some of the testing I did was somewhat menial and only increased my understanding of a particular system instead of my understanding of broader engineering concepts that I could take back to school with me.

There is some lack of organizational clarity in the team regarding standard processes, procedures, and documentation. There are relatively few guidelines for how all of the responsibilities for the team are supposed to be fulfilled, which is frustrating for new hires trying to get a grasp on how things are done. Make sure to ask mentors and colleagues how things should be done in the meantime, but there is no procedural document that will provide this information.

Advice to Management

I would suggest establishing a new-hire training program for each team that details the processes, responsibilities, and standards that the team has. This could be as simple as a document included in the new hire package.

I don't remember the phrasing exactly, but I ended up discussing the following:

Tell me about _____ project you worked on.
What is something you feel is typically not done well in engineering projects?
Of all your accomplishments, which one are you most proud of and why?
How does GPS work?
How does the pitot-static system in an aircraft work?

Interesting in a fun way

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was exposed to many new concepts that I had never seen before.

Nothing that I can think of.

Know your C.

Incredibly fun summer with meaningful projects and lots of learning!

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. The project I got to work on was fantastic. It was very easy to see how important it was to my team and I could have a measurable impact.
2. I am a learner at heart, so I quite enjoyed being exposed to the professional software dev environment and learn from them.
3. They don't care what hours you work (within reason) as long as you get the job done. Some days I worked 5 hours cause my brain just wasn't there, but others I would work 10 or 11 hours because I was on a roll and could do it. They let you have that kind of flexibility here.
4. Dress code! Some people literally wear sweatpants to work. That's not really my style, but I like being able to feel more relaxed at my job. It feels less corporate and I appreciate that.

1. Management isn't as close as I would like them to be. They have a lot to do because most of them are one of the tip top experts in their group.
2. Documentation. This is probably the worst aspect about working for Garmin. People here are incredibly smart but do not know how to write that knowledge down in a way that new comers can get up to speed quickly. The systems developed here are vastly complex, but intimate knowledge of how things work is mostly in the heads of those who have worked here long enough to understand it. What little documentation exists is either incomplete, vague, or outdated.

1. Make certain that you are a quick learner. Documentation for whatever you are working on is likely to be scarce and you will have to figure things out for yourself.
2. On the flip-side of #1, people are very smart here and are more than willing to share what they know. It is a very social company.
3. Be self-motivated/driven. Asking questions is totally ok, but most of the employees are driven individuals and it's kind of expected that you are too.
4. Love what you do. Passion goes a long way here.

Advice to Management

Please somehow mandate better documentation policies.

Real Engineering work, amazing work-life balance.

Portland, OR | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had the opportunity to do real engineering work, felt like I was a full time employee working at Garmin AT for a couple years although I've only been here for four months. Amazing work-life balance; played table tennis, basketball, soccer, volleyball, disc golf, and worked out during breaks and lunch.

As an intern, we had to fill out timesheets for an 8 hour day as mandated by Oregon law.

Garmin values having a work-life balance. Garmin AT looks for engineers who can communicate well and work in a team; not necessarily the highest IQ.

An excellent experience where I gained valuable knowledge that will be able to accelerate my career once I graduate.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

They provide great housing to any intern who lives more that 60 miles away. The pay is extremely good for the area. We get payed time off that is payed out at the end if not used. I hopefully will be able to accept a full time offer with them after the summer which alleviates all of the worries about find a job over the next year.

I have no complaints. This is by far the best experience of my life.

You are not expected to know everything. You just need to show that you are willing to learn what is required to get the task at hand done.

Fast-paced learning experience

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Doing real work on a client-facing product with technologies I was unfamiliar with at the start of the internship (I basically learned Android development as I was working on my first tasks). Also as someone who values comfort, the casual attire was a huge plus for me.

It felt like Garmin tried a little too hard to get us to "fall in love" with KC.

If you're working on something client facing such as the devices and their apps, be ready to learn quickly and be held to high expectations.

Advice to Management

The Lunch and Learns should either actually provide lunch or be only half an hour. Generally I found that I wouldn't use my whole lunch hour and being forced to use it to listen to a presentation was a large disincentive to attending them.

Can't remember specifically, but they were mostly general programming knowledge questions with one question where I was asked to write out the code to answer it.

Known-End-Date Engineer; Same Responsibilities of a Process Engineer

Portland, OR | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Treated like a process engineer, not an intern. I was given the same projects a typical engineer would be given. I am a known-end-date engineer, not an intern. They are also very focused on my career goals and what I want to accomplish

There is so much to learn in so little time, I want to become an expert in the jobs/tasks that I perform here.

The culture, Garmin really does have a unique culture, if you're looking for your average workplace and you don't want to get involved/be social, this is not the company for you. At Garmin you're given opportunities to seize.

Great Work Experience in a Relaxed Environment with Friendly Coworkers

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I'm very happy with most aspects of my internship. The pay is good and you aren't expected to work more than 40 hours or to do anything outside of work. Pretty much everyone I've met has been extremely friendly and cooperative making the workplace very stress-free and easygoing. Despite this, everyone still gets a lot of work done and wants to make the project a success.

I honestly have a hard time coming up with something very negative about this internship. I suppose I work in an inner part of the building, and so I don't have much natural light or scenery to look at.

You really get treated as a full-time employee while you're here. You get benefits, work on a team, and do actual work on projects being developed. If you want a realistic experience of writing software for a company, Garmin is a great choice.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if management was around to talk to more. A pretty large portion of the time when I need to talk to my manager, he's in a meeting or otherwise not in his office which can sometimes make it difficult to make forward progress.

The non-technical side of the interview was pretty standard. Questions like, "Why do you want to work at Garmin?"

The technical side was mostly over C and solving problems with it. Be able to write code by hand and explain your thought process and you should be fine.

Managing, Testing, and Releasing Avionics Software for Airplanes

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work/Life Balance, Team Members, Employee Culture, Company Values, Pay, Housing, Other Interns, Kansas City (Not too big, not too small, plenty to do)

Specific Position isn't Super Technical,

Garmin is a company with great core values, and which definitely helps as an associate. Being able to go out and do things is very useful, and do not expect to necessarily just sit back and have tasks assigned to you. This may vary considerably from team to team, however, as each segment (Aviation, Marine, Outdoor, Etc.) is run differently and is subject to different rules and regulations.

Advice to Management

Specifically for interns, a mid-cycle review through your manager/HR would be useful instead of just a final review. That way the intern can get additional feedback on how to do better and the intern's manager/HR can see how the intern responds to formal feedback about their performance

Man is asked to write a headline and responds sarcastically

Kansas City, MO | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Product I worked on was intended to be sold and had an accelerated schedule, mentoring and management were excellent. Brought product through most all stages of the typical design and manufacturing process.

Electrical design work was trivial and extremely derivative.

Garmin has a wonderful work environment and all the people I worked with were helpful and welcoming.