Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Real Work, Real Projects. No Pet Projects Here!

Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

That I got to work on real projects and that I learned so much this summer.

The drive. It was an hour from where I live (my choice though in taking the internship).

Be willing to learn. Also, take as many computer science classes as you can.

He asked me to solve a lot of basic computing problems. I don't remember what they are.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have gotten to know the office a little better, since it was a small satellite office.

Great Internship at Garmin

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment was very friendly, and the work was along the lines of what I want to do after college.

The fact that it was a maintenance job which probably isn't the most exciting job in the world.

Be prepared to work hard, but be well rewarded for it.

Great place to work.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great work environment, supportive co-workers, meaningful impact.

A little more training would have been nice.

Truly a place that makes you want to come everyday; care about your health and work/personal life balance.

Educational, Fantastic, Flexible

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible work schedule around school hours

Understanding from managment about school obligations

After graduation potential

Engaging work

I wish there were bigger projects, though I do understand that the smaller projects and Jiras are aimed to allow us to be flexible in our schedule

Really seems to love their employees, take advantage of the learning opportunities and talk to your coworkers about their experiences

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

Software development less intimidating day by day

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The full-time employees I worked with in my team were all helpful and made my experience enjoyable. The office environment in general was very inviting.

Probably how the building was not marked well, as I got lost many times.

For software engineers, learn all you can in classes teaching C, and learn how to use Linux-based software, like Git, in your free time.

What developer tools have you had experience with?

What is your strongest programming language?

What kinds of team projects have you worked on?

Advice to Management

Perhaps make sure each team is the proper size for the current project they are working on, but try not to add too many new team members too late in development.

How to make the step from good programmer to professional software engineer,

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work with so many people on the same project. Mentoring was excellent too!

Sometimes the work would get repetitive.

Read your operating systems book! Learn how memory works too!

Tell me about your research. Tell me about your senior design project. Write some code to count the number of bits that are set in an 8 bit number.

Advice to Management

Place a higher value on graduate degrees. Travel compensation for interns.

Great people, Interesting Work, Amazing to their employees

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given my own project to over see start to finish

Less benefits than I've seen at other internships

Garmin is a place that you can go and most likely be happy working their the rest of your life.

What is the difference between Java and Javascript

Advice to Management

Be continually open about willingness to have employees work very flexible hours

Work on real projects with great people in a relaxed and friendly environment.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture, free housing, the pay, and getting to work on real company projects.

No real training was provided.

This is a software/hardware company that is primarily focused on embedded systems, so software engineers be aware that the coding is probably lower level than what you are familiar with. However, it is still a very interesting place to work with a very friendly company culture.

Advice to Management

Provide more detailed training to interns.

Great time with GPS

Tulsa, OK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on a real project that will be released and sold to the masses.

We at the Tulsa office never went to the main office. Which I would have enjoyed doing.

Great benifits and purchasing program. Great people to work with. And a program for moving up.

Project that would apply to poistion.