Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Great people, Interesting Work, Amazing to their employees

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given my own project to over see start to finish

Less benefits than I've seen at other internships

Garmin is a place that you can go and most likely be happy working their the rest of your life.

What is the difference between Java and Javascript

Advice to Management

Be continually open about willingness to have employees work very flexible hours

Hit the ground running.

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience working on shippable features and cases.

Flexible work hours.

Beautiful facility.

An office culture that promotes mental and physical health.

Location. Chandler isn't awful but its not great.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Mentors are incredibly helpful.

Implement itoa.

Advice to Management

More interaction between departments would increase worker cohesion and morale. More intern meetups would do similarly at a more critical period in their career.

Best internship ever

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager allowed me space to do my work in my own way. My projects were interesting and challenging.

At times it was difficult to get the feedback necessary from tooling engineers

In my role at Garmin, I did not need to use in-depth analysis techniques as taught in engineering school. Creativity, practical knowledge and intuition are much more important. (this was my experience, I believe interns in the past have done substantial FEA work)

Advice to Management

I liked how i was not overwhelmed with boring (though possibly useful) training the first few days/weeks of my internship. for some people this may work well but for me, this would have been torture.

Challenging work teaches student

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging but manageable. The team was helpful and easy to work with

I did not work very much with other interns

The atmosphere is positive

Great Internship at Garmin

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment was very friendly, and the work was along the lines of what I want to do after college.

The fact that it was a maintenance job which probably isn't the most exciting job in the world.

Be prepared to work hard, but be well rewarded for it.

Software development less intimidating day by day

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The full-time employees I worked with in my team were all helpful and made my experience enjoyable. The office environment in general was very inviting.

Probably how the building was not marked well, as I got lost many times.

For software engineers, learn all you can in classes teaching C, and learn how to use Linux-based software, like Git, in your free time.

What developer tools have you had experience with?

What is your strongest programming language?

What kinds of team projects have you worked on?

Advice to Management

Perhaps make sure each team is the proper size for the current project they are working on, but try not to add too many new team members too late in development.

Garmin Internship program rocks!

Great pay

Real software engineering work

Great experience

huge employee discount on products

Lack of instruction

Commit to learning a lot the first few weeks to figure out how to become a productive member here.

Know code. Garmin programs mostly in C or assembly language. During my interview I was given a short "quiz" on the C language. Relatively simple things such as: determining the output of simple functions, identifying errors in code, and optimizing code.

Real work. Friendly atmosphere. An amazing experience.

Atmosphere

Flexibility

Challenging real-world work experience

Housing was provided

I don't really have any complaints.

Be prepared to work hard, but this job is extremely rewarding. Kansas City is a lot of fun and Garmin employs the kindest people you're likely to meet at any company. The culture there makes it a very exciting place to work. I highly recommend it.

A look into the Garmin Engineering World

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Treated like a real employee. Great immersive experience, lots of events to encourage social interaction with other interns.

In my position I didn't always have something to do on a daily basis. I'm sure this is not a problem for other areas so much. I was a well qualified candidate for the position I interviewed for and got.

Be yourself, the people here support that very much and was one of my favorite aspects of working there.

An Incredible Experience

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect of the internship was working on

The thing that I liked "least" was working on the project in its current phase. To elaborate, our product was in its certification phase, which means there is very little development work to be done, and lots of busy work spent testing the system. However, this is a very important part of any product, and provides an incredible internship experience, it just isn't always the most riveting thing to be done.

As with any internship, make sure that you engage in the culture that exists. Get to know the employees that you are working with. As silly as it sounds, going out to lunch with people on the team can really help you assimilate into the culture and get others used to having you there.

Evaluate this piece of recursive code.

What kind of embedded or systems projects have you worked on?

Advice to Management

"Corporate" training was loosely defined and not well documented on what we were supposed to complete and by when.