Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Retail & Consumer Products Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

Software testing
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and people you work with.

Software testing, while ideal for an internship due to time required, is often boring.

Lots of opportunities to get involved, take advantage.

Optimize a code sample.

What technical hobbies/projects have you worked on?

Great place to work.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great work environment, supportive co-workers, meaningful impact.

A little more training would have been nice.

Truly a place that makes you want to come everyday; care about your health and work/personal life balance.

Hit the ground running.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience working on shippable features and cases.

Flexible work hours.

Beautiful facility.

An office culture that promotes mental and physical health.

Location. Chandler isn't awful but its not great.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Mentors are incredibly helpful.

Implement itoa.

Advice to Management

More interaction between departments would increase worker cohesion and morale. More intern meetups would do similarly at a more critical period in their career.

This is the reason you're getting your degree.
Anaheim, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned as much in the 6 month internship as i did in 3 years of college. Flexible hours, will help pay for your masters.

Some of the work is work that noone else in the office wanted to do, but thats being an intern in a nut shell.

Know your C++ programming, virtual functions, critical regions (mutex), and some programming models.

What is a pure virtual function? What is a critical region? What is a mutex? Be able to show in code proper inheritance of classes, and virtual functions.

Advice to Management

Honestly, everything was great.

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

Work with many different technologies to find your niche.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunity to work in a mature code base, and an amazing mentor.

Garmin is a huge company, and I feel like I didn't get enough of an idea what working with other divisions would be like.

Garmin has a wide range of products, and you can certainly find somewhere you will fit.

Rewarding and enjoyable experience with great pay, great hours, and free housing

pay, benefits, people, experience

not many job opportunities in some departments and no direct reasons given. People placed in departments that aren't hiring feel overlooked.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck. They want you to ask questions.

Standard behavioral questions only

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the business and hiring practices. Also, give more performance reviews and training sessions.

great company and great people make for fun work
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Atmosphere, working on real projects

Didn't really have any negatives

Garmin is very laid back, interns are basically treated as full time employees, have heard great things from people in all departments

Good experience and great coworkers give an exceptional introduction to the workplace
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

By the end of the internship, I felt very independent; I could do work at a level I believed to be close to an introductory full-time associate level

My supervisor was not very active in observing or critiquing my work

You will very likely be pleasantly surprised by how helpful and nice your coworkers are

I was given a "quiz" over common circuit design problems (op-amp operation, filter design, troubleshooting questions) that consisted of several different problems. However, you are not expected to be able to answer all of them off the top of your head; your interviewer will offer help when you are struggling. It appears the main focus is to see if you can use knowledge and information available to you to solve circuit design problems

Advice to Management

Overall, I think the organization does an excellent job with their internship program. My current opinion is that my superviser was new to the internship program, and did not have much experience giving interns feedback or interfacing with them.

Great internship program at a great engineering company
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

How approachable everyone was. I felt I could always ask questions, and was encouraged to do so. The work I did I felt was very applicable to my career, and enjoyed every bit of my internship there. The amount of work "assigned" (for lack of a better term) was not outrageous, but challenging. I learned a lot this summer, and hope to continue my work with Garmin in the future.

Nothing at all!

Bring your thinking cap, because jumping in on a project as large as some of the ones you might work on here will be a challenge. But all of the engineers here are very competent in their work and are able to help. Within days of being there I already felt like part of the team, and was contributing a good amount.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)