Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Fantastic first internship with an exceptional company

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working with actual engineers and being treated as though I was a full member of the team rather than just an intern.

I felt as though the job I was given to complete over the summer was not enough work. I would work for about half the day and then I wouldn't know what to do with the other half because I wasn't given enough little projects to fill all my days.

I would suggest taking advantage of all the intern events that Garmin offers.

I was asked what I knew about the company and then I was asked about applications of simple data structures, like queues and stacks.

Designing products to enhance the users experience

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

i love the fact that i can, and have designed things that have been implemented on a global scale.

i don't like how a lot of the ambitious designs get modified to be very "basic" and behind current design standards or outdated.

Garmin is an awesome place to work especially as an intern, the projects are very rewarding with the real life products that you are placed on.

Advice to Management

I'm not really sure what management could do, everything seems very good to me.

What are some projects you have worked on at CAPS?

Why do you think you would be good at UX?

What were some challenges on any current design projects?

Amazing experience

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great pay, benefits, and atmosphere.

Enough money in the budget to hire hundreds of intern but not enough to hire many of them full time.

Work hard and network while your there.

Great experience, interns utilized effectively the same as full time employees.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work I am doing I consider to be very interesting. The team I am working with is great, and the pay is not bad either.

The required intern presentations near the end of the usual internship.

It is a corporate environment, but one of the best I have seen and worked in. Go in expecting to meaningfully contribute to a project that will be released.

Advice to Management

While the compensation is perfectly reasonable, I do not know any one that would turn down more pay.

Learning how to learn in a fast-paced, exciting environment.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having a great team and being able to make a lot of new friends. Additionally, I learned a lot that I would not have otherwise picked up in my classes.

Some of the intern-specific tasks are not as enjoyable as I wished they would be. Also, I have a hard time keeping up with all of the aviation terms.

It is almost better to know nothing about how to do your job coming in, it is meant to be a learning experience, and you want to make sure that you get something out of it that you could not have gotten elsewhere.

Work/Learn/Play Hard

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Doing real work on real projects that span multiple teams and disciplines. Friendly and helpful coworkers, great benefits, fun times.

Depending on what you work on, certain tasks may get monotonous.

Garmin has a great culture, relaxed, good work-life balance. The location is nice, too.

Garmin: An Internship where Engineering Students Actually Engineer Things

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Software Development, C language, relaxed culture, Kansas City area, free housing

There were no cons for me

The people at Garmin are all very knowledgeable and nice

I can't make titles to save my life.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The whole office culture was excellent.

The verification work did seem to drag out a little bit, but when you're rushing up against deadlines, it's expected.

It's a great place to work. Relax, be yourself, and have fun. They treat everyone well and give people a place to fit in.

Advice to Management

An additional progress report or feedback on work effort might be helpful during the summer.

Real-world engineering experience in a great company culture

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pros:
1. Real-world projects: If I had not been doing that work, a full-time employee would have been.
2. Company culture: My team was really open to including me in walks, lunches, etc., and they were always willing to answer my questions and help expose me to new things (tour of the hanger, sitting in on design reviews, team meetings…).
3. Financial benefits: Not only was I making $22/hour, but I also did not have to pay for housing (nor did I have to find a place to live in an unfamiliar city). On top of that, I also received paid time off and discounts on products.
4. Involvement opportunities: Garmin put on multiple events just for interns, and there was also a social committee and a community service committee made entirely of interns.

1. I wish I could have received my biggest project earlier in the summer so I would have been able to complete it before going back to school, but we were waiting on parts, which was out of our control.
2. I did not know much at all about the design process when I started my internship, so it would have been helpful to have opportunities to be exposed to design in a more structured teaching setting. That is, I would have appreciated having my mentor or manager provide more guidance during the initial phases of my design so I had some direction when first starting out.

If you're looking for a summer internship that provides valuable real-world experience, great financial incentives, opportunities to become friends with other interns, and a whole lot of fun, Garmin is the place to work.

Summer Internship

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I had a lot of freedom with my project and got to spend a lot of time doing "real" work.

Sometimes project slowed down as we dealt with the complications that come with working at a larger company.

Garmin is a great place to work, especially those in the engineering fields.