4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

and Get 1 FREE DAY

At Garmin you get your own desk AND your own soldering iron
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

They give you real projects to work on that will help out your team. It is easy to learn from the people you work with and they are always friendly and willing to help. The project lifecycles are fast enough so that you can actually make progress through the summer (in the consumer segment at least)

I didn't get to work directly with any other interns because they were spread pretty thin throughout the company.

If you would like to play a central role in the development of electronics you would enjoy working at Garmin. As an electrical engineer you get to work with mechanical and software engineers to turn ideas into products.

Draw a block diagram of a system or product you have designed by yourself or as part of a team in a previous internship or school project. The interviewer then picks a particular block and asks you to describe how you implemented it in detail.

Advice to Management

Encourage more out of work activities between coworkers. The different product segments feel slightly isolated. I think this leads to a 'knowledge island' effect which makes it more difficult to find people with expertise in certain areas.

Engineering student experiences awesome internship with exposure to industry-desired skills.

Co-workers and outside activities

I guess the worst thing about my internship was the traffic after work on the way home.

Everyone is really helpful and always willing to offer advice to new hires. Everyone is assigned a mentor for the first year of employment, so be sure to ask plenty of questions and never be afraid to learn new things.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

Are you more of a leader or a follower?

Advice to Management

I thought everything was really well done. Want to comment on how helpful it was to have a mentor of about the same age group as me. I feel that this enhanced my learning abilities and helped myself feel more welcome.

The Real World Challenge

Employees

Compensation

Management

Not exactly what I would like to go into but was able to figure that out during the internship and expand my horizons.

Ask a lot of questions

What is a static variable?

Advice to Management

Couldn't find anything wrong

Perfect of Work and Fun
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin has the most kind and friendly people I've ever worked with along with a relaxed atmosphere. I was working along side full-time employees who were working on the same project as me.

I didn't find out what I was working on until about one week before the start date.

Garmin's outstanding trait compared to other companies is the people and work atmosphere. The people are very friendly and welcoming, and working atmosphere is casual.

The Internship with Real Hands-On Experience
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were the type of work I was doing and the people I was doing the work with.

My mentor didn't really open up to me until later in the summer, but when he did it was very enjoyable working with him.

Garmin is very laid-back yet innovative. If that's the kind of work culture you're looking for, Garmin is perfect for you.

Describe a time when you had to go out of your way to complete a project.

Write a recursive program.

Advice to Management

There could be more training for some of the software used at Garmin.

Awesome career experience and such a great environment!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really loved that I was considered a member of the team and was treated as that. I was given challenging projects and guidance on how to accomplish them if needed. I was also given lots of availability to go above and beyond as I took more initiative.

I would have like to have had more of an overview of the other departments.

I think that this company is very unique in their culture. They are willing to allow you to pursue new avenues and markets that will benefit the company. There is a lot of project ownership in the company and that produces a great product.

Great Internship at Garmin
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment was very friendly, and the work was along the lines of what I want to do after college.

The fact that it was a maintenance job which probably isn't the most exciting job in the world.

Be prepared to work hard, but be well rewarded for it.

Good experience and great coworkers give an exceptional introduction to the workplace
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

By the end of the internship, I felt very independent; I could do work at a level I believed to be close to an introductory full-time associate level

My supervisor was not very active in observing or critiquing my work

You will very likely be pleasantly surprised by how helpful and nice your coworkers are

I was given a "quiz" over common circuit design problems (op-amp operation, filter design, troubleshooting questions) that consisted of several different problems. However, you are not expected to be able to answer all of them off the top of your head; your interviewer will offer help when you are struggling. It appears the main focus is to see if you can use knowledge and information available to you to solve circuit design problems

Advice to Management

Overall, I think the organization does an excellent job with their internship program. My current opinion is that my superviser was new to the internship program, and did not have much experience giving interns feedback or interfacing with them.

Hit the ground running.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience working on shippable features and cases.

Flexible work hours.

Beautiful facility.

An office culture that promotes mental and physical health.

Location. Chandler isn't awful but its not great.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Mentors are incredibly helpful.

Implement itoa.

Advice to Management

More interaction between departments would increase worker cohesion and morale. More intern meetups would do similarly at a more critical period in their career.

Best internship ever
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager allowed me space to do my work in my own way. My projects were interesting and challenging.

At times it was difficult to get the feedback necessary from tooling engineers

In my role at Garmin, I did not need to use in-depth analysis techniques as taught in engineering school. Creativity, practical knowledge and intuition are much more important. (this was my experience, I believe interns in the past have done substantial FEA work)

Advice to Management

I liked how i was not overwhelmed with boring (though possibly useful) training the first few days/weeks of my internship. for some people this may work well but for me, this would have been torture.