Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Perfect of Work and Fun

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin has the most kind and friendly people I've ever worked with along with a relaxed atmosphere. I was working along side full-time employees who were working on the same project as me.

I didn't find out what I was working on until about one week before the start date.

Garmin's outstanding trait compared to other companies is the people and work atmosphere. The people are very friendly and welcoming, and working atmosphere is casual.

Work hard, play hard

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All interns were assigned tasks on our first day instead of having to wait until someone found something we could do.

Some of the tools developed internally by the company were a bit difficult to understand since there was no guide to help learn how to use it.

The company cares a great deal about its employees. The facilities have been updated to help relieve stress throughout the day and the hours are very flexible.

Create a state machine for a microwave.

Advice to Management

The training and introductions given on the first day can be a bit more in-depth. The orientation went so quickly and I did not really know anything about the company as a whole before I started working.

High School Interns Do Exist

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked how the management understood that school comes first and encouraged that. Also, my mentor and supervisor were always giving me new things to read and look at if I wanted to learn more about a certain topic.

I did not like the age difference, but that was unavoidable.

Garmin is the type of company that makes you want a job there after graduation. The people are nice and helpful towards your development.

What is the radius of the earth?

Find the errors in the following code: *code example*

Advice to Management

I cannot give a good answer to this question because everything seemed good to me, but this was my first internship.

Wonderful experience: Learn and build connections while having fun and being generously compensated!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount I learned was staggering; I really feel that I gained a lot of hands-on, "real-world" training that I wouldn't have been able to get in the classroom.

I sometimes felt that I got too much help!

Strive to do your best--even on simple tasks--and stay focused, I feel that doing so really helped me stand out to my manager and team members.

At Garmin you get your own desk AND your own soldering iron

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

They give you real projects to work on that will help out your team. It is easy to learn from the people you work with and they are always friendly and willing to help. The project lifecycles are fast enough so that you can actually make progress through the summer (in the consumer segment at least)

I didn't get to work directly with any other interns because they were spread pretty thin throughout the company.

If you would like to play a central role in the development of electronics you would enjoy working at Garmin. As an electrical engineer you get to work with mechanical and software engineers to turn ideas into products.

Draw a block diagram of a system or product you have designed by yourself or as part of a team in a previous internship or school project. The interviewer then picks a particular block and asks you to describe how you implemented it in detail.

Advice to Management

Encourage more out of work activities between coworkers. The different product segments feel slightly isolated. I think this leads to a 'knowledge island' effect which makes it more difficult to find people with expertise in certain areas.

The Real World Challenge

Employees

Compensation

Management

Not exactly what I would like to go into but was able to figure that out during the internship and expand my horizons.

Ask a lot of questions

What is a static variable?

Advice to Management

Couldn't find anything wrong

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

Great Internship at Garmin

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment was very friendly, and the work was along the lines of what I want to do after college.

The fact that it was a maintenance job which probably isn't the most exciting job in the world.

Be prepared to work hard, but be well rewarded for it.

Take control of your internship!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of work, complete control over project, plenty of help from a team of experienced professionals

I did complete my project 2 weeks early and didn't have much other work allocated for me, so I felt idle at this time.

Garmin is a fantastic company. If you are an electrical or computer engineer, or computer science major, there is a lot of opportunity at this casual but enterprising corporation.

Many technical electrical engineering questions. For HR, fairly basic questions, such as: "When did you become interested in _______" and questions about prior experiences/involvements.

Advice to Management

I noticed that Garmin has a fairly high turnover rate, and I'm still not sure why. It does leave me a little concerned, but overall not too concerned, as most people I talked to love their job at Garmin.

Work on real projects with great people in a relaxed and friendly environment.

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture, free housing, the pay, and getting to work on real company projects.

No real training was provided.

This is a software/hardware company that is primarily focused on embedded systems, so software engineers be aware that the coding is probably lower level than what you are familiar with. However, it is still a very interesting place to work with a very friendly company culture.

Advice to Management

Provide more detailed training to interns.