Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Retail & Consumer Products Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

The Garmin Guide to Location and Robustness
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working in a cohesive team environment and participating in meetings to see what people were working on. I enjoyed the group lunches, programming club, and other social and collaborative events that went on in the summer. I feel that I was well-compensated for my work and that I completed my tasks successfully in a timely manner.

I did not like that I did not receive a lot of feedback from my mentor in the beginning of the internship. I think a little more guidance in the beginning could have helped me overcome initial roadblocks faster.

Garmin is a wonderful place to work. My internship was a language immersion program for Objective-C. I was able to apply the knowledge I learned and obtained through various projects towards a real-world application. Being able to work on a feature that will one day make it to the App Store was an incredible experience for me.

Why do you want to work at Garmin?

Explain the difference between inheritance and polymorphism (technical question).

Describe a challenge you had in a team project and how you overcame it.

Advice to Management

I think they could provide more training for new employees, as well as more social events (especially for interns) to help new employees get to know other employees better.

Garmin offers real experience working on fun projects
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

positive environment and cool products

no downsides of note

When Garmin presents itself as a great place to work, it tells the truth.

Write code to count the number of 1's in an integer.

Wonderful experience: Learn and build connections while having fun and being generously compensated!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount I learned was staggering; I really feel that I gained a lot of hands-on, "real-world" training that I wouldn't have been able to get in the classroom.

I sometimes felt that I got too much help!

Strive to do your best--even on simple tasks--and stay focused, I feel that doing so really helped me stand out to my manager and team members.

v
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great pay, paid time off, time as an intern counts towards total time worked if I chose to work full time

Low level C

I can't speak for every department, but most of the work seems to be in low level C

Working side by side with professional engineers and on real products.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great exposure to many tools involved in software engineering and practice dealing with a large code base.

It was a great experience, there is nothing I would change.

It's a perfect environment for learning and professional growth. Apply!

The interview questions were mostly addressing my previous job and the projects I worked on during my studies.

High School Interns Do Exist
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked how the management understood that school comes first and encouraged that. Also, my mentor and supervisor were always giving me new things to read and look at if I wanted to learn more about a certain topic.

I did not like the age difference, but that was unavoidable.

Garmin is the type of company that makes you want a job there after graduation. The people are nice and helpful towards your development.

What is the radius of the earth?

Find the errors in the following code: *code example*

Advice to Management

I cannot give a good answer to this question because everything seemed good to me, but this was my first internship.

Educational, Fantastic, Flexible
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible work schedule around school hours

Understanding from managment about school obligations

After graduation potential

Engaging work

I wish there were bigger projects, though I do understand that the smaller projects and Jiras are aimed to allow us to be flexible in our schedule

Really seems to love their employees, take advantage of the learning opportunities and talk to your coworkers about their experiences

This is the reason you're getting your degree.
Anaheim, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I learned as much in the 6 month internship as i did in 3 years of college. Flexible hours, will help pay for your masters.

Some of the work is work that noone else in the office wanted to do, but thats being an intern in a nut shell.

Know your C++ programming, virtual functions, critical regions (mutex), and some programming models.

What is a pure virtual function? What is a critical region? What is a mutex? Be able to show in code proper inheritance of classes, and virtual functions.

Advice to Management

Honestly, everything was great.

Real-world experience in both business and technical aspects of software development
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The fact that it did not feel like an "internship" was nice. I was being treated at the level of an entry-level software engineer and given actual tasks that impact the development of our products.

Being a remote site, there were not very many interns, so it did feel strange at times being around the seasoned veterans of the industry with few others in my age group.

If you are in computer science, this internship is going to stretch you. Garmin is a hardware company, so a lot of the classes that I was told I wasn't going to be using (i.e. assembly and a lot of the low-level principles in operating systems) will be prominent and perhaps the most important things you have learned. That said, it is excellent experience and a challenging and wonderful opportunity.

Good experience and great coworkers give an exceptional introduction to the workplace
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

By the end of the internship, I felt very independent; I could do work at a level I believed to be close to an introductory full-time associate level

My supervisor was not very active in observing or critiquing my work

You will very likely be pleasantly surprised by how helpful and nice your coworkers are

I was given a "quiz" over common circuit design problems (op-amp operation, filter design, troubleshooting questions) that consisted of several different problems. However, you are not expected to be able to answer all of them off the top of your head; your interviewer will offer help when you are struggling. It appears the main focus is to see if you can use knowledge and information available to you to solve circuit design problems

Advice to Management

Overall, I think the organization does an excellent job with their internship program. My current opinion is that my superviser was new to the internship program, and did not have much experience giving interns feedback or interfacing with them.