Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Garmin's interns truly get a taste of what it would be like to be a full-time employee.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best parts of the internship are that I get to work on real projects. My contributions to the team help us meet our goals, and it is satisfying to see that. I share an office with my mentor, which is really convenient when I have questions or need help. Garmin's housing accommodations are also extremely nice.

I really don't have anything negative to say. My internship experience has been very good.

I would say that the most important step is to "get your foot in the door". Garmin has so many different business segments and positions that there is a spot for almost anyone.

Write a function to return the sum of integers in an array. You may use your programming language of choice.

Enjoyable internship with interesting projects.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I've been able to work with good people and contribute to exciting projects.

Nothing really comes to mind.

If you're going into software engineering be familiar with programming in C.

Great Experience! - 5/5

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Casual, fun, but still polite and respectful office culture and great coworkers. I got to work on an area I'm really excited about, and I had a lot of control over my project over the summer.

Public transportation in the area is minimal, and while there is a nice biking trail, company-provided housing was relatively distant from work - it's a challenge to get around without a car.

From what I've heard experiences to can very quite a bit from team to team, but for me it was an great experience. If you don't have a car, know that different teams can have very different expectations about when is an acceptable time to arrive at work and will allow different amounts of overtime - coordinating rides can be difficult.

Advice to Management

My internship this summer has been amazing. The only possible thing I can think of improving would be having a shuttle that ran to the provided housing or some other form of transportation for interns without cars. I was paired with a roommate with a car, but the situation was less than optimal as we had different schedules both by choice and because our teams had different work expectations.

Write a program to count the number of 1s in the binary representation of a number.

Learning Software Engineering Through Real Projects

Tempe, AZ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part was the attitude of the team - they were very friendly and willing to help whenever questions came up.

While there wasn't anything I particularly disliked, I felt bad for taking up so much of the team's time with my questions.

The best thing you can do to get a software engineering position is personal projects. This shows everyone (especially the ones interviewing you) that you take time to further explore the field out of interest.

Garmin provides a great intern experience with amazing mentors.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

My Mentor was amazing. He wrote a indepth tutorial about how Garmin's coding works, and

Honestly, there wasn't anything that I didn't like.

I wish I had known how much fun this would have been prior to starting, as I might have applied the previous summer in addition to this summer.

Advice to Management

There really isn't anything that I'd suggest to management, the whole experience thus far has been great.

What does virtual mean in C++?
What is a double pointer int **x used for?

Computer Science Major Learns How To Write Production Code

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin provided housing which helped make working here more convenient . The PTO allowed me to take a few long weekends. I had an interesting assignment and grew as a software developer. My immediate supervisor frequently helped with problems and made me feel welcome.

Kansas City is a bit too hot for my taste. Some other interns had much less interesting work than me.

Try and find an interesting project rather than just writing module tests.

I looked at a short snippet of C code and explained how it worked. It had a few problems which I had to point out.

Awesome opportunity for engineering students to get real-world experience and work hands-on.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to jump in and do REAL engineering right away. They didn't have me sit around or work on pointless projects.

At times, the atmosphere can feel negative, like department to department dislike. I see this in a sizable number of employees and believe more opportunities to get to know people outside your department and creating more cross-department networks would help with this.

I plan to go back to my college and advising all my friends to apply next year. It is a very well run program and has taught me way more than I expected. The amount of resources that Garmin invests in its interns is massive, and this results in a brilliant program year after year. The HR staff make it appear seamless, even though I know it takes a ton of work on their parts to make it so smooth and easy for interns.

Advice to Management

I mentioned in the "cons" section that I often find department to department negativity. I think this comes from not knowing/understanding what the other system's responsibilities are, so getting to know one another across departments would be great.

When have you felt "ownership" of a project?
When have you struggled to overcome conflict in a group?

If you want to do something that actually matters, choose Garmin!

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Office culture, no dress code, cool projects, great team, flexible hours, great PTO, awesome experience.

Not a big fan of the Kansas City area.

Interns work on real projects that their teams work on. As an intern, you actually develop software that ends up being on the final product. The Garmin Internship program is awesome and a great real-life experience.

Tell me about any of your previous projects.
What is your best quality as a leader?
What is a pointer?

I had a great experience working as an intern at Garmin this summer.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I gained a lot of real world experience and made some great connections while I was here.

There were times where I would accomplish tasks quicker than expected and new tasks weren't ready for a while.

Be prepared to work on testing some sort of software if you're working as a software engineering intern. That's what most of them end up doing.

Advice to Management

Make sure you have work planned for your interns in case they finish the appointed tasks quicker than expected.

Perfect engineering internship for aviation enthusiasts.

Surrounded by passionate engineers
Lots of inexpensive flying opportunities
learning about a system that interests me
lots of autonomy for my engineering project
supporting engineering environment, great work culture
Kansas City, MO is a great city

Do not like the location in Kansas, Olathe is quite isolated
Work is heavy on electrical engineering

The company itself is incredible, very supportive and open
If you are interested in flying, it's a really great opportunity!
HAVING A CAR IS A MUST IF YOU PLAN TO DO ANYTHING

Advice to Management

Perhaps have a better system of mentorship and project assignment. For non-CS internships, the project is a more ambiguous and nebulous idea. For me, I'm kind of forming my own project, which is a very instructive exercise, but can be frustrating as well: difficult to find motivation when little is set out for me. I wish I was in more contact with interns and had a more consistent relationship with my boss.

Basic questions about previous engineering projects and work ethic.
One of the hardest questions: "When was a time that you sacrificed personal time and energy for the good of the group? Perhaps during a group project where you had to meet a deadline."