Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

I worked on real projects which were even more interesting than what most of my team did.

Tempe, AZ | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The office was great. Garmin is a great company and treats its employees very well

There wasn't a ton of intern related events, although all of the interns came together to do events together so it was not an issue.

Everyone is extremely willing to help you, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

I think that working hourly while everyone else at Garmin works salaried is annoying, we worked 8 hours a day while most of our team worked 6-7 occasionally working 8.

Exciting work on exciting projects

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

You stayed busy all summer doing work and intern events, both of which were entertaining.

Our provided housing was the farthest away @ 20-25 minutes away from work which was kind of a bummer.

Be wary of what department you're being assigned to and what work you'll be doing. There is a huge difference between working for the consumer side of things and just writing unit tests all day for aviation.

Giving direct examples ruins the fairness of an interview.

They aren't technical questions more like puzzles.

Pretty Fun

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Developing the weather creation tool and knowing the code

Diving into a massive code base and not knowing anything

The company is fun to be at, but the software documentation is lacking

Advice to Management

More software documentation and have mentors provide guidance to their interns besides just sitting there being a question answerer.

When was a time you had to make a tough decision?

Implement a function in C that doubles every even number. Is there a way to do it without creating any new variables (excluding function arguments)?

Be a part of the innovation of the future!

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

real work, challenging, people care and want you to learn

minimal events, no big presentation at the end, not always occupied

great people and company culture - you will be welcomed and everyone is easy to talk to

Man fights daily battle with a farm of ants.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning new software and frameworks

not much work

involve yourself with others

Fantastic opportunity to make a difference in a vast array of different departments.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Having an individual project to work on that would actually see use after my internship gave me motivation and a reason to come to work everyday.

Testing can be incredibly repetitive and boring.

Garmin has an excellent location, great building, and nice people.

Advice to Management

Encourage more feedback from supervisors.

I was given a few problems in C and asked to figure out how to code them. One was supposed to count how many bits in an integer were set, and one was supposed to pass pointers around efficiently. Learn pointers!

Worked on interesting and challenging projects, was inspired to learn new skills, and had a lot of fun along the way.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed working alongside other Engineers to satisfy our customers requirements. There was accessible help and mentoring along the way.

I wish I would have been given a better high-level training of software development best practices and aspects such as software tests.

Always push yourself to learn about your problem domain. Have a willingness to try things that are difficult.

Advice to Management

I would have liked slightly better compensation for the effort of work that I was putting in. I had to commute ~2 hours every day and did not receive any compensation for this.

Asking me about times that I had difficulties working with a team. About passed experience in the industry. Also a few conceptual questions over C code.

Excellent company, but mundane work. Excellent team atmosphere and great people to work with.

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The quality of my co-workers and the atmosphere I worked in.

Sometimes it was hard to get help on a problem or know who to ask to get help with a problem.

Don't be afraid to bother the full-time employee if you need help, but try to solve the problem on your own first.

Well balanced job with a moderate focus on mentorship and training.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Comfortable living at home and an encouraging work environment.

No sense of team: Was structurally placed on team I did no work with, functionally placed on team I never had outings with, and socially related to a third team which was the only one I had an out of work event with.

There aren't any quirks to working here. You're paid well and taught well. It's a straight forward opportunity that you can get a lot out of.

Advice to Management

People get used to whatever is given to them. Even ignoring that the compensation at Garmin is on par with other prominent companies. I would however recommend working on the social environment internal to Garmin. The teams in some departments seem to be much more proactive than others in having events whether at work our outside of it.

N/A

Trials and tribulations of a mentee experience

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting all of the engineers on the project I have used for many years.
Working on a product I have used for many years.

My mentor was non-communicative. Was told, by my mentor, that I wouldn't be hired at the place of work because of a question he had asked.

Amazing place to work. Things happen everyday.
Be prepared for some rough patches.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in what each employee is doing. Communication is key.
Iron out the individual team boarding process.

What is the difference between an override and an overload?
What can you tell us about ourselves?