Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Retail & Consumer Products Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

The internship is entirely hands-on work for a great local company with a global reach.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands on, highly technical work, the people who work there and the environment, and the compensation.

Feedback was only provided at the end of the internship rather than throughout it.

It's an excellent place to be at with interesting work, especially if you're from around the area.

Great work atmosphere with young and active employees
Kansas City, MO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the team I worked on, the amount of work I was given, and the no dress code policy!

Sometimes stressful

Be prepared to work, but to have fun while you're there

Advice to Management

Nothing! I had a great experience

Positive people. Quality work.

The people.

I would have liked to see more training and better organization of wiki articles, but it was easy to ask other employees any questions.

Be friendly, hardworking, and knowledgeable in a programming language. Be able to describe projects you've worked on.

Tell me about some projects you worked on?

Advice to Management

The wiki documents about technical development need to be updated and organized. There should be better training and documentation of the software architecture/systems.

Wonderful experience: Learn and build connections while having fun and being generously compensated!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount I learned was staggering; I really feel that I gained a lot of hands-on, "real-world" training that I wouldn't have been able to get in the classroom.

I sometimes felt that I got too much help!

Strive to do your best--even on simple tasks--and stay focused, I feel that doing so really helped me stand out to my manager and team members.

Very interesting experience and you feel like you are not just an intern but a full time employee of Garmin

Challenging and rewarding

Inability to pick/choose from a couple of projects, instead of being assigned one that may or may not be that interesting.

It is a great place to have an internship at and to work for! Great people, awesome HR team, and challenging work. Definitely the top internship in the Kansas Area. I would recommend it to everyone!

Analyze this piece of code and find if there are any errors and how would you fix them.

Advice to Management

May be a possibility for the intern to pick from a couple of projects, or to ask them what projects they like working on, before the internship starts. That way the intern could possibly choose the one that is of the most interesting subject to them. Of course, they will have to sign some sort of a non-disclosure statement beforehand, but it will make their internship even more fun.

Engineering student experiences awesome internship with exposure to industry-desired skills.

Co-workers and outside activities

I guess the worst thing about my internship was the traffic after work on the way home.

Everyone is really helpful and always willing to offer advice to new hires. Everyone is assigned a mentor for the first year of employment, so be sure to ask plenty of questions and never be afraid to learn new things.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

Are you more of a leader or a follower?

Advice to Management

I thought everything was really well done. Want to comment on how helpful it was to have a mentor of about the same age group as me. I feel that this enhanced my learning abilities and helped myself feel more welcome.

Great Internship at Garmin
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment was very friendly, and the work was along the lines of what I want to do after college.

The fact that it was a maintenance job which probably isn't the most exciting job in the world.

Be prepared to work hard, but be well rewarded for it.

Great people, Interesting Work, Amazing to their employees
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given my own project to over see start to finish

Less benefits than I've seen at other internships

Garmin is a place that you can go and most likely be happy working their the rest of your life.

What is the difference between Java and Javascript

Advice to Management

Be continually open about willingness to have employees work very flexible hours

Challenging work teaches student
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging but manageable. The team was helpful and easy to work with

I did not work very much with other interns

The atmosphere is positive

Take control of your internship!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of work, complete control over project, plenty of help from a team of experienced professionals

I did complete my project 2 weeks early and didn't have much other work allocated for me, so I felt idle at this time.

Garmin is a fantastic company. If you are an electrical or computer engineer, or computer science major, there is a lot of opportunity at this casual but enterprising corporation.

Many technical electrical engineering questions. For HR, fairly basic questions, such as: "When did you become interested in _______" and questions about prior experiences/involvements.

Advice to Management

I noticed that Garmin has a fairly high turnover rate, and I'm still not sure why. It does leave me a little concerned, but overall not too concerned, as most people I talked to love their job at Garmin.