Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Retail & Consumer Products Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Perfect of Work and Fun
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin has the most kind and friendly people I've ever worked with along with a relaxed atmosphere. I was working along side full-time employees who were working on the same project as me.

I didn't find out what I was working on until about one week before the start date.

Garmin's outstanding trait compared to other companies is the people and work atmosphere. The people are very friendly and welcoming, and working atmosphere is casual.

Working side by side with professional engineers and on real products.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great exposure to many tools involved in software engineering and practice dealing with a large code base.

It was a great experience, there is nothing I would change.

It's a perfect environment for learning and professional growth. Apply!

The interview questions were mostly addressing my previous job and the projects I worked on during my studies.

Understanding the process of Software Engineering from an outstanding company.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the Intenrship had to be the work culture, and the emphasis on creating quality product. Garmin had a fantastic culture, and everyone seemed to appreciate and love the work they performed for Garmin. The emphasis on creating quality products truly reflect how talented everyone at Garmin is. Each person aims to become a master in their craft in order to product a quality product.

I least liked the fact that the internship had very few events for interns to explore the company.

Garmin treats each employee with great respect, and the work culture is very positive and supportive.

During the interview process, I was presented with questions that involved bit-wise manipulation of variables along with simple logic/programming questions.

it was a great learning experience with wonderful people in a really fun environment.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid housing, fun activities, very hand-on, a very structured work environment

It would be nice to see more diversity.

You have to be able to adapt to a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

It is clear that the company views every department’s specialty as contributing to the organization's overall success. I would challenge Garmin to reinforce this premise even further in the future by initiating more of a balance across departments addressing the issue disparity of compensation among interns.

High School Interns Do Exist
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked how the management understood that school comes first and encouraged that. Also, my mentor and supervisor were always giving me new things to read and look at if I wanted to learn more about a certain topic.

I did not like the age difference, but that was unavoidable.

Garmin is the type of company that makes you want a job there after graduation. The people are nice and helpful towards your development.

What is the radius of the earth?

Find the errors in the following code: *code example*

Advice to Management

I cannot give a good answer to this question because everything seemed good to me, but this was my first internship.

Great Embedded Systems Experience
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intern social committee planned some great events. The work was meaningful and I gained valuable technical experience I would not have gotten in a classroom.

The thing that I liked least about the internship program was that it went by so fast.

If you are looking to do meaningful work and gain valuable technical experience, I highly recommend that you consider Garmin in your internship search.

Hit the ground running.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience working on shippable features and cases.

Flexible work hours.

Beautiful facility.

An office culture that promotes mental and physical health.

Location. Chandler isn't awful but its not great.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Mentors are incredibly helpful.

Implement itoa.

Advice to Management

More interaction between departments would increase worker cohesion and morale. More intern meetups would do similarly at a more critical period in their career.

Great Internship at Garmin
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The environment was very friendly, and the work was along the lines of what I want to do after college.

The fact that it was a maintenance job which probably isn't the most exciting job in the world.

Be prepared to work hard, but be well rewarded for it.

Good experience and great coworkers give an exceptional introduction to the workplace
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

By the end of the internship, I felt very independent; I could do work at a level I believed to be close to an introductory full-time associate level

My supervisor was not very active in observing or critiquing my work

You will very likely be pleasantly surprised by how helpful and nice your coworkers are

I was given a "quiz" over common circuit design problems (op-amp operation, filter design, troubleshooting questions) that consisted of several different problems. However, you are not expected to be able to answer all of them off the top of your head; your interviewer will offer help when you are struggling. It appears the main focus is to see if you can use knowledge and information available to you to solve circuit design problems

Advice to Management

Overall, I think the organization does an excellent job with their internship program. My current opinion is that my superviser was new to the internship program, and did not have much experience giving interns feedback or interfacing with them.

Best internship ever
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager allowed me space to do my work in my own way. My projects were interesting and challenging.

At times it was difficult to get the feedback necessary from tooling engineers

In my role at Garmin, I did not need to use in-depth analysis techniques as taught in engineering school. Creativity, practical knowledge and intuition are much more important. (this was my experience, I believe interns in the past have done substantial FEA work)

Advice to Management

I liked how i was not overwhelmed with boring (though possibly useful) training the first few days/weeks of my internship. for some people this may work well but for me, this would have been torture.