Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Retail & Consumer Products Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

Embedded Haskell
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amazing office scene experience

I don't know that there was anything I disliked

Do it. This is one of the most rewarding internships you can get

Garmin offers real experience working on fun projects
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

positive environment and cool products

no downsides of note

When Garmin presents itself as a great place to work, it tells the truth.

Write code to count the number of 1's in an integer.

Very interesting experience and you feel like you are not just an intern but a full time employee of Garmin

Challenging and rewarding

Inability to pick/choose from a couple of projects, instead of being assigned one that may or may not be that interesting.

It is a great place to have an internship at and to work for! Great people, awesome HR team, and challenging work. Definitely the top internship in the Kansas Area. I would recommend it to everyone!

Analyze this piece of code and find if there are any errors and how would you fix them.

Advice to Management

May be a possibility for the intern to pick from a couple of projects, or to ask them what projects they like working on, before the internship starts. That way the intern could possibly choose the one that is of the most interesting subject to them. Of course, they will have to sign some sort of a non-disclosure statement beforehand, but it will make their internship even more fun.

The Real World Challenge

Employees

Compensation

Management

Not exactly what I would like to go into but was able to figure that out during the internship and expand my horizons.

Ask a lot of questions

What is a static variable?

Advice to Management

Couldn't find anything wrong

At Garmin you get your own desk AND your own soldering iron
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

They give you real projects to work on that will help out your team. It is easy to learn from the people you work with and they are always friendly and willing to help. The project lifecycles are fast enough so that you can actually make progress through the summer (in the consumer segment at least)

I didn't get to work directly with any other interns because they were spread pretty thin throughout the company.

If you would like to play a central role in the development of electronics you would enjoy working at Garmin. As an electrical engineer you get to work with mechanical and software engineers to turn ideas into products.

Draw a block diagram of a system or product you have designed by yourself or as part of a team in a previous internship or school project. The interviewer then picks a particular block and asks you to describe how you implemented it in detail.

Advice to Management

Encourage more out of work activities between coworkers. The different product segments feel slightly isolated. I think this leads to a 'knowledge island' effect which makes it more difficult to find people with expertise in certain areas.

Awesome career experience and such a great environment!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really loved that I was considered a member of the team and was treated as that. I was given challenging projects and guidance on how to accomplish them if needed. I was also given lots of availability to go above and beyond as I took more initiative.

I would have like to have had more of an overview of the other departments.

I think that this company is very unique in their culture. They are willing to allow you to pursue new avenues and markets that will benefit the company. There is a lot of project ownership in the company and that produces a great product.

Take control of your internship!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexibility of work, complete control over project, plenty of help from a team of experienced professionals

I did complete my project 2 weeks early and didn't have much other work allocated for me, so I felt idle at this time.

Garmin is a fantastic company. If you are an electrical or computer engineer, or computer science major, there is a lot of opportunity at this casual but enterprising corporation.

Many technical electrical engineering questions. For HR, fairly basic questions, such as: "When did you become interested in _______" and questions about prior experiences/involvements.

Advice to Management

I noticed that Garmin has a fairly high turnover rate, and I'm still not sure why. It does leave me a little concerned, but overall not too concerned, as most people I talked to love their job at Garmin.

Work on real projects with great people in a relaxed and friendly environment.
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company culture, free housing, the pay, and getting to work on real company projects.

No real training was provided.

This is a software/hardware company that is primarily focused on embedded systems, so software engineers be aware that the coding is probably lower level than what you are familiar with. However, it is still a very interesting place to work with a very friendly company culture.

Advice to Management

Provide more detailed training to interns.

Challenging work teaches student
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was challenging but manageable. The team was helpful and easy to work with

I did not work very much with other interns

The atmosphere is positive

Hit the ground running.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience working on shippable features and cases.

Flexible work hours.

Beautiful facility.

An office culture that promotes mental and physical health.

Location. Chandler isn't awful but its not great.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Mentors are incredibly helpful.

Implement itoa.

Advice to Management

More interaction between departments would increase worker cohesion and morale. More intern meetups would do similarly at a more critical period in their career.