Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Helping Pioneer the Highschool Intern Program
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to see what it was like working fulltime for a large engineering company.

Not much really.

Be confident in your interviews, and dont be afraid to say you don't know something they ask.

Good, real life experience with useful projects.
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good culture, good lab equipment, good people

Living in a dorm.

Don't be an idiot.

I got a lot of great technical experience working on a large and complex application.
Tempe, AZ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was treated like a member of the team. My work assignments we appropriate to my skill level, but not menial.

It was really great. If anything, I was just dropped in without much training and expected to figure things out. There was not time pressure so it was fine.

I would recommend the internship.

Advice to Management

Maybe more initial training and better communication regarding their intentions for extending offers.

One of the best summers of my life.
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed designing my features and then coding them myself. It was nice to see the fruit of my labor.

Nothing. There was nothing I did not like.

If you get an offer, take it. It is a fantastic workplace.

Engineer paid to write software to test other software.
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Probably the people here.

My mentor and I don't communicate very well, so I don't always know what I'm supposed to be doing or why the things I'm doing aren't working.

Garmin has great people and it is a great place to work. If you are a software or hardware engineer, this should definitely be on your list of places to apply to.

Advice to Management

I could definitely have used more training to help me get going faster and give me a better idea of how certain things are supposed to be done.

Aviation Software Engineer Intern Confirms Compliance with Requirements
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was definitely the team I worked with, and the culture of the company.

The work was mundane.

The company culture is great, and the pay is competitive. The work teaches you a lot, even if it seems monotonous, as most software intern work is.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of anything!

Software Engineering Intership
Phoenix, AZ | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on projects that is not interns only project. Choosing the features to work on.

The number of people that was available to review the code was limited. No HR representive at the branch.

Find a knowledgeable person about the project you are working on and let him mentor you.

Advice to Management

Better explanations of the roles of other team members.

Writing Code All Summer
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

working on real projects and flexibility of my duties

..........

The internship is fun and was a very fufiling experience

Garmin, a company that allows you to enjoy what you do.
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The other employees and interns are great to work with or hang out with. Housing is paid for and very close to the office. The company pays it's interns a competitive rate. Garmin's cafe serves good food.

Housing is dorm style living.

This company is enjoyable to work for. The environment is relaxed and Garmin has policies in place to promote an enjoyable work environment.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I had to learn how to use alot of the tools and software that are standard at Garmin on my own, or with a little help from other engineers on my team. It would be helpful to have a formal training class on how to use these tools.

Solid experience with a solid company
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I worked very closely with my mentor, and really felt like part of the team. The overall culture was very positive, and it felt like all of the interns that I met were working on reasonably important projects. The managers did a good job selecting tasks that were not trivial, but were also not impossible for interns to complete. HR was very flexible with my start date; they allowed me to start late so that I could participate in an international tour with my college singing group.

The office had very few windows, but interns had the same setup as full time associates, so it is not the fault of the internship program. My computer was not set up with the correct software (which took a lot of time to fix), but that was a fluke.

Garmin is a great company which will make every effort to help you make meaningful contributions, while still respecting the fact that you are an intern. The office culture is very friendly and fairly flexible and casual, although it may not be as "hip and cool" as other companies. HR does make an effort to provide social experiences outside of work, but the actual execution depends on how active all the other interns are.

Advice to Management

My "biggest" issues came from the aesthetics of the offices, which admittedly can only be changed so much. More windows/skylights would be great, but somewhat impractical. Painting the walls with various colors is great and should be continued; the splashes of color near where my office was situated are great.