Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

One of the best summers of my life.

I enjoyed designing my features and then coding them myself. It was nice to see the fruit of my labor.

Nothing. There was nothing I did not like.

If you get an offer, take it. It is a fantastic workplace.

Date: 2013

A class is only a struct with all variables and functions declared private instead of public!

I'm provided fulfilling work with other engineers to make software.

I wish I was able to do a little more hardware design with the software design.

The majority of the code is in C.

Advice to Management

Nothing! Everything was fantastic.

Date: 2013

Good, real life experience with useful projects.

Good culture, good lab equipment, good people

Living in a dorm.

Don't be an idiot.

Date: 2013

Solid experience with a solid company

I worked very closely with my mentor, and really felt like part of the team. The overall culture was very positive, and it felt like all of the interns that I met were working on reasonably important projects. The managers did a good job selecting tasks that were not trivial, but were also not impossible for interns to complete. HR was very flexible with my start date; they allowed me to start late so that I could participate in an international tour with my college singing group.

The office had very few windows, but interns had the same setup as full time associates, so it is not the fault of the internship program. My computer was not set up with the correct software (which took a lot of time to fix), but that was a fluke.

Garmin is a great company which will make every effort to help you make meaningful contributions, while still respecting the fact that you are an intern. The office culture is very friendly and fairly flexible and casual, although it may not be as "hip and cool" as other companies. HR does make an effort to provide social experiences outside of work, but the actual execution depends on how active all the other interns are.

Advice to Management

My "biggest" issues came from the aesthetics of the offices, which admittedly can only be changed so much. More windows/skylights would be great, but somewhat impractical. Painting the walls with various colors is great and should be continued; the splashes of color near where my office was situated are great.

Writing Code All Summer

working on real projects and flexibility of my duties

..........

The internship is fun and was a very fufiling experience

Date: 2013

Garmin, a company that allows you to enjoy what you do.

The other employees and interns are great to work with or hang out with. Housing is paid for and very close to the office. The company pays it's interns a competitive rate. Garmin's cafe serves good food.

Housing is dorm style living.

This company is enjoyable to work for. The environment is relaxed and Garmin has policies in place to promote an enjoyable work environment.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I had to learn how to use alot of the tools and software that are standard at Garmin on my own, or with a little help from other engineers on my team. It would be helpful to have a formal training class on how to use these tools.

Date: 2013

Great industry experience among amazing people.

The work and the people were amazing.

I don't care much about airplanes, and I need more windows. Sitting in a secluded room all day drives me a little mad.

Go in with what you know and don't be afraid to use it. That said, do not be afraid to ask if you need to. People are really helpful, and you get better at your job by watching those more experienced.

Advice to Management

A more prominent stance on how LGBT workers are viewed/will be treated by the company would be amazing. I know in training videos, the words "sexual orientation" were used among protections but they were followed up with "according to law". As far as I know LGBT persons' jobs are not protected by Kansas law. I just don't know if I am able to speak about family with coworkers, etc.

Date: 2013

Gained experience and knowledge while working with great people.

work on real projects, relaxed dress code, relaxed working hours,

end of the year project was a science fair type

great place to work, people are extremely friendly

Helping Pioneer the Highschool Intern Program

Getting to see what it was like working fulltime for a large engineering company.

Not much really.

Be confident in your interviews, and dont be afraid to say you don't know something they ask.

Date: 2013

Casual office culture and helpful, insightful coworkers create a great opportunity to learn and pursue challenging work

1- relatively flexible hours 2- extremely welcoming and helpful coworkers 3- challenging and interesting work 4- allowed to solve problems in your own way

1- management is somewhat new to having interns, no real structure to the program

Explore every possible opportunity you can at Garmin. You might not know what to expect in coming here, but when you do, make sure you have your eyes open because there is always a lot of work to be done and initiative is important.

Advice to Management

Pay could be slightly higher. Perhaps an actual training program (even if short) could be helpful.