Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Engineering student experiences awesome internship with exposure to industry-desired skills.

Co-workers and outside activities

I guess the worst thing about my internship was the traffic after work on the way home.

Everyone is really helpful and always willing to offer advice to new hires. Everyone is assigned a mentor for the first year of employment, so be sure to ask plenty of questions and never be afraid to learn new things.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

Are you more of a leader or a follower?

Advice to Management

I thought everything was really well done. Want to comment on how helpful it was to have a mentor of about the same age group as me. I feel that this enhanced my learning abilities and helped myself feel more welcome.

Garmin Internship

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent experience with massive codebase. Treated like a real employee!

Difficult code to understand, at first

Brush up on C++!

The Real World Challenge

Employees

Compensation

Management

Not exactly what I would like to go into but was able to figure that out during the internship and expand my horizons.

Ask a lot of questions

What is a static variable?

Advice to Management

Couldn't find anything wrong

Gain real-world experience by contributing to the creation of amazing products.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Because of the welcoming company culture, I was very at ease with my colleagues. It was easy to ask questions and get help and cooperate on tasks.

I have no complaints.

Do some research on what Garmin does. They are involved in many different market segments. During the interview, they will ask you which division you would like to work in.

Perfect of Work and Fun

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin has the most kind and friendly people I've ever worked with along with a relaxed atmosphere. I was working along side full-time employees who were working on the same project as me.

I didn't find out what I was working on until about one week before the start date.

Garmin's outstanding trait compared to other companies is the people and work atmosphere. The people are very friendly and welcoming, and working atmosphere is casual.

Very interesting experience and you feel like you are not just an intern but a full time employee of Garmin

Challenging and rewarding

Inability to pick/choose from a couple of projects, instead of being assigned one that may or may not be that interesting.

It is a great place to have an internship at and to work for! Great people, awesome HR team, and challenging work. Definitely the top internship in the Kansas Area. I would recommend it to everyone!

Analyze this piece of code and find if there are any errors and how would you fix them.

Advice to Management

May be a possibility for the intern to pick from a couple of projects, or to ask them what projects they like working on, before the internship starts. That way the intern could possibly choose the one that is of the most interesting subject to them. Of course, they will have to sign some sort of a non-disclosure statement beforehand, but it will make their internship even more fun.

Real Work, Real Projects. No Pet Projects Here!

Detroit, MI | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

That I got to work on real projects and that I learned so much this summer.

The drive. It was an hour from where I live (my choice though in taking the internship).

Be willing to learn. Also, take as many computer science classes as you can.

He asked me to solve a lot of basic computing problems. I don't remember what they are.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have gotten to know the office a little better, since it was a small satellite office.

Challenging and rewarding

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Projects I worked on and what I learned.

Location, not the west coast.

It is a very relaxed environment where you are treated like a professional until proven otherwise. Help is readily available if you need it but no one will be there to check on you constantly if you do not seek it for yourself. Ask questions, learn all you can, and enjoy the projects you get.

Hit the ground running.

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Real life experience working on shippable features and cases.

Flexible work hours.

Beautiful facility.

An office culture that promotes mental and physical health.

Location. Chandler isn't awful but its not great.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Mentors are incredibly helpful.

Implement itoa.

Advice to Management

More interaction between departments would increase worker cohesion and morale. More intern meetups would do similarly at a more critical period in their career.

Educational, Fantastic, Flexible

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Flexible work schedule around school hours

Understanding from managment about school obligations

After graduation potential

Engaging work

I wish there were bigger projects, though I do understand that the smaller projects and Jiras are aimed to allow us to be flexible in our schedule

Really seems to love their employees, take advantage of the learning opportunities and talk to your coworkers about their experiences