Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Real work to really help people

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I could see how my work affected people.

Some of the red tape not my favorite...

It is great! Garmin seems to go the extra mile to make their employees happy.

Given a two-weight balance (can weigh groups) and 8 weights, with 1 different from the others, find the least number of comparisons to find the different one. (Answer: 2)

How would one write an algorithm to make change?

Wonderful Experience with great Opportunities to apply college learning and gain crucial industry experience

Kansas City, MO | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Housing is comfortable and paid for, pay is great, lots of opportunities to connect with other interns, lots of industry experience, everything about this internship is fantastic

The intern expo seems a little unnecessary.

Garmin has a great community of employees and a huge network of support in almost every area of your life.

Advice to Management

Everything that I have experienced so far has been well organized and well compensated.

Code understanding and evaluation

Standard personality questions

Beating yesterday with great work and great people

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning about the company, friendly coworkers and work environment, working directly with products

Excel and paperwork, sitting in front of a desk for 8 hours

It is a great work environment. Even though they are more fond of software/computer engineers, there are still plenty of other options.

EE Design Engineering Intern wins Intern Expo!

Everything, I most enjoyed the actual work I was doing

Far from family

Garmin is a big company with a small company feel, very friendly but has lots of room to grow

WOW! Treated like royalty

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everything was wonderful. HR, mentors, other interns, housing. All of it was way above my expectations

I cannot think of a single con

Take full advantage of everything Garmin has to offer! They are wonderful people.

Advice to Management

None, keep up the good work

Intern Creates New GUI Features, Has Fun Doing So

Other (US) | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being able to create something used in the read world that was functional and beautiful. Getting more than enough help to do so.

My team was too introverted for my personal taste.

If you want to make a hundred fun new friends in a few weeks, work on toys all summer and have the nicest manager/team/mentor ever, intern at Garmin!

How do you count how many bits are on in an integer?

Intern experiences just how much more Garmin does than GPS stuff

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work in general, i.e. what I worked on and the department I was with (Fitness)

Meeting people outside my team was practically nonexistent (maybe due to company size)

I would highly recommend with one caveat. If you are a CS or CE major doing a software engineering internship, make sure you get with any department except aviation. Aviation software engineers pretty much only did test code (from the people I talked to) which isn't the best experience if you are past your freshmen/maybe sophomore year. All the other departments seemed to have much more meaningful work for their interns, even though there were significantly fewer of us.

Advice to Management

Compensation seems good for the midwest, but low for the tech industry. I know they have really good benefits that kind of offset that, but unless there is a decent pay raise each year, I am not sure that it would be enough to comfortably support more than 1 person.

Garmin Internships: The Best First Steps into the Real World

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got to learn many useful skills as well as work with very helpful and friendly people.

I would have liked to have had the chance to work at the Garmin Headquarters in Olathe, KS for a few weeks to get experience in a more formal business work environment.

Never be afraid to ask for help if you find yourself unable to make progress.

Advice to Management

For interns who work at the KU offices, a week or two during the internship could be set aside for the interns to come work at the Olathe, KS Headquarters.

Please describe your dream job position.

Working hand in hand with experienced engineers on an interesting and fulfilling project.

Kansas City, KS | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being kept busy with real and interesting work. Learning from experienced engineers.

Can't think of anything noteworthy

Be prepared to learn a lot and soak it all in.

Advice to Management

I had a wonderful time.

I was walked through a little test, expected not to know some of the answers. Was given hints when I wasn't sure. The whole point was to test your problem solving and brainstorming.

Helping to develop real products as an intern

Raleigh, NC | 2016 | VERIFIED INTERN

Treated as a full-time employee with same opportunities. Real-life work that mattered.

Environment was not my taste. Workplace communication was difficult

Don't stress during the interview process. The technical interview is tough but as long as you handle yourself well and talk out your thought process they will appreciate you. I loved the internship but am not sure if I would continue for full employment

Write a function using pointers