Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Computer Engineering College in One Summer

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team experience was great.
The benefits and team building events were also excellent.
The project was relevant, will be used in real products, and is helpful to my college experience.

That it only lasted for 11 weeks.

Pick a department that makes products that truly interest you. If you have a choice for what project to work on, pick one that sounds interesting but also presents some challenges to overcome.

Questions about probability
Questions about programming - solving problems by writing C code.

Full time work with the Intern Life

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work was awesome, the projects were a ton of fun.
The culture is second to none.

Mondays...

You will do real work, it is worth it. Get ready to learn and have a blast doing it.

Excellent experience

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The opportunities to be involved

I have no complaints

It was a great internship in a very nice area

Learning to drink from a firehose.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The mentoring program was great and the work was very interesting.

I didn't have as much time to respond to the offer as I would have liked.

Go into the company ready to learn from your more experienced colleagues.

Very positive workplace, lots of great people, challenging work, and opportunity for growth

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

You know how, at just about every workplace you've ever been a part of, there's always that one person who is just a pain in the butt to work with? Whether they are annoying, loud, rude, heartless, or ****, there's always one. I thought that was true until this internship. There honestly wasn't anyone that I didn't enjoy working with. Aside from that, I love the flexibility of hours, dress code, having my own (shared) office, different social/volunteer committees, and the pay is pretty fantastic. I was pretty stunned when I was told what the rate was, even for interns.

The t-shirt

There is so much to do at Garmin. I only had a very small slice of a slice of everything there is, and it was still quite a lot. There's something there for everyone, so at least ask some questions and check it out.

Advice to Management

Everything seemed pretty solid to me. Except for the intern shirts. I keep bringing that up like it's a big deal. It's really not at all, but that's the only complaint I can think of.

They were mostly questions about my abilities and what I was capable of doing and/or learning to do. There are no bogus hypothetical questions, like what part of a sandwich are you and why. No. It was more legit, "What courses have you taken in this area? Do you enjoy this sort of work? Where, outside of school and a job, have you utilized and applied what you've learned? How confident are you about this sort of thing? Can you explain what the output of this program would be in C?", sort of questions. My ability to learn new stuff was also tested, although probably unintentionally, which I think helped me get the internship.

Engineer and create new features for real-world devices

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were the challenging work, getting to see the work on real devices, and the mentorship I received from the full-time engineers

My favorite part of the internship was seeing what I was working on run on real devices that custimers will actually get to use

If you like low level software development, this is a great place to work.

Intern Gains Valuable Experience at Garmin

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was able to learn a lot

Dealing with housing (Oakwood)

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

More formal training would be helpful.

Interesting and fun internship provides real-world experience.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great learning opportunity, excellent team, free housing, and fun events with other interns.

Didn't learn a very widely used language.

Great company to work for.

Great place to work on products with high consumer visibility and usage.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Independence to work on real-world projects that are needed to get a product shipped.

Nothing negative really sticks out.

Great place to work (good work-personal life balance), with projects spanning multiple industries. Ability to move around every few years, if needed.

Real world software engineering experience second to none

Phoenix, AZ | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The compensation blew me away, both as undergrad before, and now as a graduate student even more so.
-My supervisor was very willing to work with me to get unpaid time off for my annual vacation with very little fuss.
-I got to work on real problems and write code like everybody else in the office. Any distinction between what I was working on and what a full time employee would be working on came as result of my capabilities rather than a result of my position.
-I learned a ridiculous amount of things about coding both through what I worked on and by talking to my coworkers

-Working full time is a drag, especially compared to student life, but pretty much any job has that problem

If you enjoy software engineering (i.e. coding), try them. You won't be disappointed. Also, don't be afraid to apply even though you "don't feel ready". First of all, no one ever feels ready. Secondly, I've found Garmin to be very good at adjusting to your education level. They will have you work on something you can handle, and that will make you a better software engineer.

Advice to Management

I do not know if this is just wishful thinking on my part, but I honestly believe employees would more effective with a shorter work day. I know personally, after about six working hours, my productively absolutely plummets. I think it would be worth looking into a shorter work day on some sort of experimental program. Of course, sometimes, the work load is too heavy and the company actually needs you to work longer. That aspect wouldn't change, in the same way employees are sometimes called on to work overtime for a 8 hour day.

-What does this section of code do?
-How could you make this piece of code more efficient?
-Some brain teaser type problems