4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

and Get 1 FREE DAY

it was a great learning experience with wonderful people in a really fun environment.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid housing, fun activities, very hand-on, a very structured work environment

It would be nice to see more diversity.

You have to be able to adapt to a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

It is clear that the company views every department’s specialty as contributing to the organization's overall success. I would challenge Garmin to reinforce this premise even further in the future by initiating more of a balance across departments addressing the issue disparity of compensation among interns.

Great learning experience
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and environment are a great to learn from, and everyone I worked with seemed to be passionate about their job.

There is nothing I had a problem with working there.

Garmin is a really great place to learn from.

The Garmin Guide to Location and Robustness
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really enjoyed working in a cohesive team environment and participating in meetings to see what people were working on. I enjoyed the group lunches, programming club, and other social and collaborative events that went on in the summer. I feel that I was well-compensated for my work and that I completed my tasks successfully in a timely manner.

I did not like that I did not receive a lot of feedback from my mentor in the beginning of the internship. I think a little more guidance in the beginning could have helped me overcome initial roadblocks faster.

Garmin is a wonderful place to work. My internship was a language immersion program for Objective-C. I was able to apply the knowledge I learned and obtained through various projects towards a real-world application. Being able to work on a feature that will one day make it to the App Store was an incredible experience for me.

Why do you want to work at Garmin?

Explain the difference between inheritance and polymorphism (technical question).

Describe a challenge you had in a team project and how you overcame it.

Advice to Management

I think they could provide more training for new employees, as well as more social events (especially for interns) to help new employees get to know other employees better.

Learn And Do
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin is extremely organized and my managers were extremely professional but also personable and enjoyable to be around at the same time. I looked forward to going to work every day and was excited to get to work on real-world projects. I also enjoyed working with other team members, I learned so much from them.

Everything about the internship was great.

Garmin has great people to work with.

Name a time when you had lots of work assigned with a short deadline.

What is a project that you worked on that you are proud of?

What do you hope to get out of an internship with us?

If we hired you, would you move on to a place like Google or Apple within the first 5 years of employment?

What is the difference between JSON and JSONP?

Explain what you know about HTTP requests.

Have you used version control?

Advice to Management

I was completely satisfied with everything about the company and internship program

Very interesting experience and you feel like you are not just an intern but a full time employee of Garmin

Challenging and rewarding

Inability to pick/choose from a couple of projects, instead of being assigned one that may or may not be that interesting.

It is a great place to have an internship at and to work for! Great people, awesome HR team, and challenging work. Definitely the top internship in the Kansas Area. I would recommend it to everyone!

Analyze this piece of code and find if there are any errors and how would you fix them.

Advice to Management

May be a possibility for the intern to pick from a couple of projects, or to ask them what projects they like working on, before the internship starts. That way the intern could possibly choose the one that is of the most interesting subject to them. Of course, they will have to sign some sort of a non-disclosure statement beforehand, but it will make their internship even more fun.

Work hard, play hard
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All interns were assigned tasks on our first day instead of having to wait until someone found something we could do.

Some of the tools developed internally by the company were a bit difficult to understand since there was no guide to help learn how to use it.

The company cares a great deal about its employees. The facilities have been updated to help relieve stress throughout the day and the hours are very flexible.

Create a state machine for a microwave.

Advice to Management

The training and introductions given on the first day can be a bit more in-depth. The orientation went so quickly and I did not really know anything about the company as a whole before I started working.

Understanding the process of Software Engineering from an outstanding company.
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of the Intenrship had to be the work culture, and the emphasis on creating quality product. Garmin had a fantastic culture, and everyone seemed to appreciate and love the work they performed for Garmin. The emphasis on creating quality products truly reflect how talented everyone at Garmin is. Each person aims to become a master in their craft in order to product a quality product.

I least liked the fact that the internship had very few events for interns to explore the company.

Garmin treats each employee with great respect, and the work culture is very positive and supportive.

During the interview process, I was presented with questions that involved bit-wise manipulation of variables along with simple logic/programming questions.

Great experience for career development.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work atmosphere and location.

Not applicable.

If you are a gadget person, there's no place better.

Wonderful experience: Learn and build connections while having fun and being generously compensated!
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount I learned was staggering; I really feel that I gained a lot of hands-on, "real-world" training that I wouldn't have been able to get in the classroom.

I sometimes felt that I got too much help!

Strive to do your best--even on simple tasks--and stay focused, I feel that doing so really helped me stand out to my manager and team members.

Garmin Internship
Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent experience with massive codebase. Treated like a real employee!

Difficult code to understand, at first

Brush up on C++!