Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Garmin offers real experience working on fun projects

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

positive environment and cool products

no downsides of note

When Garmin presents itself as a great place to work, it tells the truth.

Write code to count the number of 1's in an integer.

Work hard, play hard

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All interns were assigned tasks on our first day instead of having to wait until someone found something we could do.

Some of the tools developed internally by the company were a bit difficult to understand since there was no guide to help learn how to use it.

The company cares a great deal about its employees. The facilities have been updated to help relieve stress throughout the day and the hours are very flexible.

Create a state machine for a microwave.

Advice to Management

The training and introductions given on the first day can be a bit more in-depth. The orientation went so quickly and I did not really know anything about the company as a whole before I started working.

Great experience for career development.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work atmosphere and location.

Not applicable.

If you are a gadget person, there's no place better.

Awesome career experience and such a great environment!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really loved that I was considered a member of the team and was treated as that. I was given challenging projects and guidance on how to accomplish them if needed. I was also given lots of availability to go above and beyond as I took more initiative.

I would have like to have had more of an overview of the other departments.

I think that this company is very unique in their culture. They are willing to allow you to pursue new avenues and markets that will benefit the company. There is a lot of project ownership in the company and that produces a great product.

Engineering excellence combined with the best BBQ and camaraderie the country can offer.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the friendliness seen all across the Garmin campus. My mentor, team, and fellow interns were very welcoming and friendly! I also thoroughly enjoyed the work I was doing. At the end of the internship I could play on the device I was working on and really see the changes I had made! It's something to be proud of, and it's fun always trying to excel in the work we do because it's all about making the best product we can for the users!

There wasn't much of anything that was bad, but I would have liked a bit more structured feedback about my work throughout the summer. After sharing this with them, I think they plan on implementing some feedback notes throughout the summer for future interns.

I would first tell them YES! If a candidate is considering Garmin, I would ask them about their interests and major because Garmin has internship programs across all forms of engineering. There are internship opportunities for computer software/hardware engineers, mechanical engineers, aerospace engineers, and more! Garmin also has products in the automotive, marine, fitness, outdoor, and aviation markets, so there is a place for everyone! Knowing their interests, I could help them in the right direction as far as which department they'd like to work in.

Amazing experience working with a knowledgeable team

Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience

No full time offer

Be willing to learn

Describe a semaphore

Incredibly technical, challenging internship with great team and coworkers

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work on something very challenging and fast paced, working with great coworkers, having a boss that is incredibly helpful, and getting paid well to do it.

Working remotely made some aspects slightly more difficult, but that's a very small con - as they gave me the opportunity to work remotely to begin with.

Just come work here. The company, culture, and environment are all wonderful - with the pay to boot.

Great Embedded Systems Experience

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The intern social committee planned some great events. The work was meaningful and I gained valuable technical experience I would not have gotten in a classroom.

The thing that I liked least about the internship program was that it went by so fast.

If you are looking to do meaningful work and gain valuable technical experience, I highly recommend that you consider Garmin in your internship search.

it was a great learning experience with wonderful people in a really fun environment.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Paid housing, fun activities, very hand-on, a very structured work environment

It would be nice to see more diversity.

You have to be able to adapt to a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

It is clear that the company views every department’s specialty as contributing to the organization's overall success. I would challenge Garmin to reinforce this premise even further in the future by initiating more of a balance across departments addressing the issue disparity of compensation among interns.

High School Interns Do Exist

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked how the management understood that school comes first and encouraged that. Also, my mentor and supervisor were always giving me new things to read and look at if I wanted to learn more about a certain topic.

I did not like the age difference, but that was unavoidable.

Garmin is the type of company that makes you want a job there after graduation. The people are nice and helpful towards your development.

What is the radius of the earth?

Find the errors in the following code: *code example*

Advice to Management

I cannot give a good answer to this question because everything seemed good to me, but this was my first internship.