Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Perfect intro to industry experience

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

As an engineer, learning industry practices is very important to being successful after graduation

I would have liked more variance in the work I was doing

Make an effort to talk to as many people on your team and surrounding teams as possible

An incredible opportunity to learn from world class mentors and grow technical and non technical skills

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin does an excellent job of giving interns actual projects that are beneficial both to the company and the intern. I have had internships before where all I did was paperwork and menial tasks but Garmin gave me a legitimate design project to run with.

There honestly wasn't much that I would change about my experience, if anything at all.

Be ready to work but also be ready to interact with the other employees. My manager told me that one of the best things I could do is take advantage of all the knowledge in this company. Really go out of your way to interact with people and figure out what made them successful and how can you implement that into your work/life

Garmin does hands-on experience

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Innovation, hands-on experience, close team experience.

I can't think of any.

I underestimated Garmin. It's challenging, rewarding, and a great place to work. If you find an opportunity to work/intern at Garmin, don't pass it up.

You will be overwhelmed, but you will learn!

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin as a company is great. I especially loved the people I was working with. I felt like I was given a lot of guidance and my interests were taken into account when assigning projects to me. Garmin also has a lot of things going on. Employees playing video games together at lunch or playing sports after work is the usual.

The training on the code base was given a few weeks in to the internship. I felt like that information would have been great up front.

Definitely make sure to communicate with your Team Lead what you're interested in doing. I mentioned my interests to my mentor and my team lead, and I was really happy with the work that I got to do.

Programming Wearables

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The projects I worked on seemed meaningful to an extent.

There was down time during the week where I was just waiting on others to get back to me or review my code.

Typical hours are from 8 - 5 with a 1 hour lunch break in between, but you can work through lunch if you want.

Garmin's internship is top notch, from the real-life projects to the compensation, it is worth your time.

- The meaningful projects
- Great company culture
- Innovative company
- Garmin product discounts
- Equivalent PTO as full-time
- Paid furnished housing

- Kansas City humidity and heat

You will be expected to do real work. Garmin will give meaningful projects that will help the company. Be ready to take on a role similar to a full-time engineer.

Advice to Management

Offices with more natural lighting and more open would be nice.

Not behavioral questions which is nice.
Mostly talked through experiences.

Great People, Great Enviroment

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people were very welcoming and helpful, assimilated me and other intern into various lunch activities as well as after work things. Cafe was tasty!

Boring Work but sometimes you gotta start at the bottom

100% recommend for anyone trying to get experience and feel of a job in the computer engineering field

The best real world experience in a summer internship.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

An individual person is assigned to be your mentor. You share an office so they are right there whenever you need help. The mentors are always glad to answer any questions you may have. The biggest benefit is that housing is completely paid for. These make for a stress-free summer.

As far as work environment and projects I have no complaints. The one thing I was upset about was that the cafeteria was a little bit pricey. So expect to bring your lunch to work.

If you want to get your hands dirty with some real code, then this is the place for you. As an employee, you get 45% off all Garmin products. Also, there is no dress code so you could come to work in pajamas if you really wanted to.

Advice to Management

Make the food in the cafeteria cheaper, you don't need to make a profit from food sales.

Given a 32 bit number, how would you count the number of bits that were 1's?
Give an example of a time when you were creative.
Why do you want to work at Garmin?
They have a code test where they ask you to look at a function, tell what it does and how to optimize it.

ENGINEERING INTERN AMAZES EVERYONE WITH HIS TALENT AND CHARM

Tucson, AZ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great learning opportunity, gaining experience, fun work environment, cool coworkers, ping pong table

That I had to email Travis every time I messed up my time card.

Just come in with a good attitude and make an effort to build relationships with people.

Advice to Management

Let me edit my time card in kronos

- How would you build ____ electronic product? What components would you need?
- If ___ amps of current was flowing through a ___ ohm resistor, what is the voltage drop?
- Would you rather choose a hard task that is a good learning opportunity or an easy task?
- What does the C keyword "volatile" mean?
- What is your proficiency in C code on a scale of 1 to 10?

Aviation Software Engineering

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good career experience, good benefits, good workplace culture

Code base can take a while to get familiar with

Don't be afraid to ask questions