Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Learned a lot about software engineering through this internship.

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The culture and flexibility.

Some of the intern related activities seemed like they were forced on us.

The training from mentors is really good from my experience. This is a great company to start your career because you will learn so much in a short amount of time.

All your dreams come true, and you get paid for it.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin did a great job of giving me work that seemed significant and made sure I wasn't just wasting my time doing work no one else wanted to do.

I only wish I could just keep working here full time, but they'll only extend a full time offer upon completing my bachelor's degree. I disagree with this because I feel I have displayed my ability to contribute, and school is expensive.

Garmin is a great place to work, you're lucky to have the chance to intern here.

Work Hard Play Hard

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay, daily fitness opportunities, experience of working with talented people

The cafeteria food wasn't the best but I just brought my lunch instead

Make sure to take advantage of the classes and clubs, like yoga, Ultimate frisbee, and volleyball

What drives you to want to work for Garmin?

Gained Stronger Experience in Software Testing and Development

Tucson, AZ | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting more experience in Python and embedded systems.

Data collection, especially in really hot weather.

Instead of asking questions excessively and frequently, accumulate your questions and ask them in occasional meetings and such - standard industry practice.

Advice to Management

This is a good place to work at.

How to measure the power of a remote?

How does a specific line-tracking robot work?

You learn something new everyday.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best part was that the people I work with want to get better and teach me new things all the time.

I'll let you know when I find something.

It is all about being able to learn on the go. At points it is overwhelming but rely on the people around you to help learn things quickly.

Garmin provides a valuable and worthwhile internship experience

Other (US) | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work done as an intern doesn't feel meaningless. Interns are well integrated into the teams and perform actual work.

There is a steep learning curve to familiarize yourself with the names and acronyms associated with Garmin products.

Garmin is driven by passion for successful product, and that is reflected throughout the entire company.

An entire summer of coding in C

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

I did real engineering work and my software is now in a product which will be used internationally

I never see any other interns during the work day

Ask for help

What's a pointer.
When should you pass by value? By reference?
What is the difference between stack and heap memory?

Found a Career Path

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are many aspects of an internship with Garmin that are incredible. The company has a very welcoming culture and this culture extends to the interns as well. Interns receive many of the same benefits that full time employees do. The work is very challenging but very rewarding. Garmin is a growing company in the Aviation industry and the work they do is simply incredible.

At times the work became repetitive, but it did remain valuable.

Garmin has remote offices at several campuses for part time work while taking classes.

If you want an internship where you will work on real-life projects, for real-life products. Come work for Garmin.

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great Team, Culture and Leadership. Many perks, such as Gym, included housing, descent pay. People at Garmin really enjoy helping others grow. Creative environment. Extremely flexible schedule.

Have to share housing with others.

Be prepared to be given real projects, with high responsibilities, and expectations.
Be extremely resourceful, ask questions, take advantage of the knowledge you have at your disposal(your team members).

Advice to Management

Compensation could have been a little higher.
Would have been nice to have the option of a 1br unshared apt through Accommodations by apple, even if I was charged a little.

What is a pointer? What can it be used for?
Tell me about a project you're working on, challenges you've faced, and how you overcame them.
Tell me about conflicts you had with teammates/co-workers in the past, how did you deal with it?
What classes do you like?

Exciting and innovative technical job opportunity

Kansas City, KS | 2017 | VERIFIED INTERN

Variety of projects and responsibilities made each day a new experience.

Complicated network and file system. Not enough instruction/directions on how to properly submit documents (such as prototype requests/submitting documentation) to the system.

Be persistent and be willing to learn. Don't be disappointed if you don't get something right the first time.