Intern at Garmin's Internship Program? Submit a Review

Very interesting experience and you feel like you are not just an intern but a full time employee of Garmin

Challenging and rewarding

Inability to pick/choose from a couple of projects, instead of being assigned one that may or may not be that interesting.

It is a great place to have an internship at and to work for! Great people, awesome HR team, and challenging work. Definitely the top internship in the Kansas Area. I would recommend it to everyone!

Analyze this piece of code and find if there are any errors and how would you fix them.

Advice to Management

May be a possibility for the intern to pick from a couple of projects, or to ask them what projects they like working on, before the internship starts. That way the intern could possibly choose the one that is of the most interesting subject to them. Of course, they will have to sign some sort of a non-disclosure statement beforehand, but it will make their internship even more fun.

The internship is entirely hands-on work for a great local company with a global reach.

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands on, highly technical work, the people who work there and the environment, and the compensation.

Feedback was only provided at the end of the internship rather than throughout it.

It's an excellent place to be at with interesting work, especially if you're from around the area.

At Garmin you get your own desk AND your own soldering iron

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

They give you real projects to work on that will help out your team. It is easy to learn from the people you work with and they are always friendly and willing to help. The project lifecycles are fast enough so that you can actually make progress through the summer (in the consumer segment at least)

I didn't get to work directly with any other interns because they were spread pretty thin throughout the company.

If you would like to play a central role in the development of electronics you would enjoy working at Garmin. As an electrical engineer you get to work with mechanical and software engineers to turn ideas into products.

Draw a block diagram of a system or product you have designed by yourself or as part of a team in a previous internship or school project. The interviewer then picks a particular block and asks you to describe how you implemented it in detail.

Advice to Management

Encourage more out of work activities between coworkers. The different product segments feel slightly isolated. I think this leads to a 'knowledge island' effect which makes it more difficult to find people with expertise in certain areas.

Great work atmosphere with young and active employees

Kansas City, MO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the team I worked on, the amount of work I was given, and the no dress code policy!

Sometimes stressful

Be prepared to work, but to have fun while you're there

Advice to Management

Nothing! I had a great experience

Working side by side with professional engineers and on real products.

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great exposure to many tools involved in software engineering and practice dealing with a large code base.

It was a great experience, there is nothing I would change.

It's a perfect environment for learning and professional growth. Apply!

The interview questions were mostly addressing my previous job and the projects I worked on during my studies.

Garmin Internship

Phoenix, AZ | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Excellent experience with massive codebase. Treated like a real employee!

Difficult code to understand, at first

Brush up on C++!

Perfect of Work and Fun

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Garmin has the most kind and friendly people I've ever worked with along with a relaxed atmosphere. I was working along side full-time employees who were working on the same project as me.

I didn't find out what I was working on until about one week before the start date.

Garmin's outstanding trait compared to other companies is the people and work atmosphere. The people are very friendly and welcoming, and working atmosphere is casual.

Wonderful experience: Learn and build connections while having fun and being generously compensated!

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount I learned was staggering; I really feel that I gained a lot of hands-on, "real-world" training that I wouldn't have been able to get in the classroom.

I sometimes felt that I got too much help!

Strive to do your best--even on simple tasks--and stay focused, I feel that doing so really helped me stand out to my manager and team members.

Positive people. Quality work.

The people.

I would have liked to see more training and better organization of wiki articles, but it was easy to ask other employees any questions.

Be friendly, hardworking, and knowledgeable in a programming language. Be able to describe projects you've worked on.

Tell me about some projects you worked on?

Advice to Management

The wiki documents about technical development need to be updated and organized. There should be better training and documentation of the software architecture/systems.

The Internship with Real Hands-On Experience

Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were the type of work I was doing and the people I was doing the work with.

My mentor didn't really open up to me until later in the summer, but when he did it was very enjoyable working with him.

Garmin is very laid-back yet innovative. If that's the kind of work culture you're looking for, Garmin is perfect for you.

Describe a time when you had to go out of your way to complete a project.

Write a recursive program.

Advice to Management

There could be more training for some of the software used at Garmin.