Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Spending a Summer Living and Working at Garmin
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

There are many good aspects to having an internship at Garmin, such as the work ethic, the high standards, the potential amount to learn and so much more. Working at Garmin is very cool because they treat their interns as adults and hold them to most of the same standards they would hold a normal employee, minus some of the experience. Everyone I have talked to at Garmin is very friendly and always tries to help me learn as much as I can. Also, working at Garmin is more of a life style. There are tons of clubs to join that will help you network and stay fit. A wide variety of people work at Garmin with a wide variety of taste, so it is interesting to meet all the different people and learn about them.

Honestly, this was my first internship, so I really have nothing to compare it to. I did not dislike anything that is not, from what I have heard, the normal office behavior standards.

Garmin employees like to have fun. If you are having fun you will be much more effective, so I suggest finding something that you like doing at Garmin and going after it. Being consistent with habits such as showing up on time if not early and being determined to do your best on all your work are always benefitial.

Limitless opportunities to learn and grow as an engineer
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on real products, working along side full time engineers, having a mentor as a guide for what can be a very intimidating field to get started in, very relaxed work environment, awesome manager, benefits and training

Software engineering can become boring. Garmin does a good job keeping its engineers busy with multiple tasks so try and alleviate this.

Great place to work, anyone in a software/computer engineering field should try Garmin.

Advice to Management

I would have liked the opportunity to work more overtime. I also would like to work remotely from school during the year as an intern still.

College Student Gains Real World Experience From Internship
Kansas City, MO | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I enjoyed the team based moments the most.

I had to park over a quarter mile away.

Be prepared to learn all summer long.

If I wanted to write headlines I would be a journalist.
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on real projects, freedom, treated like a regular employee (in terms of benefits, etc.)

I had no issues with the internship.

Garmin has a lot of fun interesting work for Software Engineers and will take your skills seriously.

Advice to Management

Garmin's awkward, extremely non-standard, and out-of-date coding standards alienate new hires. It sounds like a minor thing, but it is still something you deal with every day.

Growing Together : An Intern and His Company

Real world experience

Working on something that we actually be used in the future

Great environment and people

No dress code

Plethora of activities to get involved in

Good salary and free housing

I personally was outside of a lot of the typical processes that Garmin employees go through, so I missed that experience. This isn't typical for most interns, however.

It's a great place to work, and make sure you get involved and meet new people. Networking with full-time employees and interns is very easy and never hurt anyone.

Garmin Culture Results in Excellent and Invaluable Internship
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

1.) Never did "intern" work. Was always working on interesting and necessary tasks.

2.) Excellent team, bosses, and coworkers. People are often willing to drop whatever they are working on to lend aid.

3.) Great work enviroment.

I cannot think of anything negative to say about my experience as an intern.

Garmin provides a very accepting and friendly enviroment. Don't hesitate to ask questions, or seek out others for advice.

Internship at Garmin provides fun and interesting work experience, excellent pay, and good benefits.
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

1) The tasks I worked on were either directly supporting or strongly related to the projects going on with my team. 2) The members of my team (and all Garmin associates I worked with) were always willing to help or point me in the right direction - even when they were busy themselves. 3) Housing was provided. Not being from the Kansas City area, this is very helpful for a short-term internship.

The MNU housing was "adequate". It would have been helpful to have a kitchen in our room to prepare food with and the maintenance staff were not very considerate of us when fixing problems.

Garmin treats and respects interns as if they are full-time employees. Other employees are very helpful and are glad to have interns around. The pay is good and management genuinely cares about the interns.

Advice to Management

Housing arrangements could be upgraded slightly. Having a kitchen would be very helpful. (However, MNU seems to be perfectly located and I don't see any other practical options to suggest.)

Awesome internship in Kansas City: Garmin

-learning about avionics software

-the company culture

-location

-making posters

Definitely apply

Advice to Management

None, everything was perfect

One of the best internship programs in the country, and it shows
Kansas City, KS | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hiring process was quick with flexible deadlines, and recruiters were very helpful and responsive. Good mentoring program. Very positive atmosphere. Large number of interns, and recruiting team focuses on social gatherings. Very competitive pay.

Some of the work was definitely trivial work that full-time workers didn't want to do, but was still a good introduction to understanding the code base

Don't be afraid to ask questions: everyone I've worked with has been very happy to help with any issues I'm having.

Fun Work in a Fun Environment
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Teams are friendly, management keeps you in the know about the scope of what you do.

We didn't get cookies on the first day.

Be ready to jump into things that may be unfamiliar.