Intern at Garmin International Internship Program? Submit a Review

Mechanical engineering, the center of product development at Garmin

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I wasn't doing anyone else's work that they felt was below them, I was designing real projects that the company wanted to pursue anyway

Not much, it was very good

If you want to be the lead mechanical engineer on consumer electronics products, Garmin is a great place to work. Just be yourself, convince them that you are a hard worker and have solid critical thinking and problem solving skills, then go out and prove it.

Advice to Management

Honestly from what I saw there wasn't a whole lot that I could suggest for improvement. There were a few times that slightly more definition for various aspects of my products wouldn't have hurt but in some cases that can't be avoided

For the most part during my interviews, they ran down my resume and asked about my past internship and extracurricular experiences, what I did, good and bad things about each. Also, I was asked things like what would make you a good fit for the position, why garmin, etc.

It was an amazing real world experience where I got to work on actual tasks in a real work environment.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The company atmosphere and the people were both awesome. Working on real tasks was great experience.

I had to relocate to a new place where I did not know many people.

Live in the dorms if you want to have a good social experience.

Advice to Management

Work on getting the housing assignments faster.

Which class that you have taken has been your favorite class and why?

Describe a time you worked on a project and what made yours special.

Intern Doesn't Get Coffee, Instead Does Work That Matters

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great work environment and you get treated like a full time employee

The part where I had to leave

It's a great place to work, but don't let the casual atmosphere impact your work ethic

Garmin Internship Program: Want to do something? You can do it here.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

This internship program offered so much to do I almost never had a free night. The work was great and the people I was working with were very inviting. They provided housing free-of-charge which was really helpful and the housing was phenomenal. The hours were fantastic in that they required that you not work more than 45 hours a week and encouraged sticking as close to 40 hours as you could. They also offered flex-time and PTO which was the same as the full-time employees.

I had no qualms with this internship

You can choose your level of involvement with this internship program. If you want to do something, chances are there's a way for you to do it.

Advice to Management

More lunch and learn info sessions would have been fun.

I cannot remember any at this time.

Excellent Opportunity

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Experienced my future career.

Can't think of anything at the moment.

Be comfortable learning a lot on your own and figuring things out. People are always willing to answer your questions, but you won't really understand everything you're doing until you dive in.

Awesome

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I liked the culture at Garmin

I didn't particularly like that sometimes, it felt like being thrown into this new thing without much clarification

make sure to clarify your design to save time. I had to redo a lot of code because the problem wasn't clearly explained

A great introduction to the Software Engineering field.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved my team and generally how I was treated as an intern. I feel like I was respected among my teammates and I was truly part of the team.

The beginning was rough because I had never truly experienced a 40 hour work week. Adjusting to the amount of work/focus I was expected on a daily/weekly basis was tricky to me. However, once I adapted it got easier.

If you want a good look into the world of software engineering/working on a team this is a great place to do so. You will be put on a team and work together on a lot of interweaving projects to reach a final goal.

Advice to Management

I feel like the training was perhaps a little informal/generic but nothing major.

What kind of Projects have you worked on? What programming languages do you know?Experience working with others?

Exceptional work and Remarkable social activites

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The projects that I worked on throughout the summer.
The massive social aspect of all interns, there was always something going on after work.
Exploring Kansas City

Not applicable.

Take it. It was the best experience I have had in the field and by far the best employer I have worked fo.

UX; Where all the design jobs are!

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The team was knowledgeable, helpful, and supportive.

n/aasdfasdfasdf

n/a/asdfasdfasdfasdfasdf

Great experience! Lots of learning.

Kansas City, KS | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Mentor , lectures throughtout internship, they did a great job of connecting us to each other and the community.

Didn't really like working in the personal navigation device segment.

They have a great culture and awesome benefits just make sure you are going into a segment you are interested in.