Garmin Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Engineering Internships  /  #9 Best IT Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

Date: 2013

Challenging, Learning, and Fun!

My team was awesome to work with. We had regular disc golf outings and donut meetings. I worked on challenging problems alongside full-time engineers. There were a ton of fun intern events all around Kansas City.

The free housing wasn't great. But it was free!

I would highly recommend it. There's a ton to do in KC (hackathons included!), and you'll learn a lot.

Advice to Management

Everything is pretty awesome. I'd just recommend they try to innovate and hire the tippy top tier of talent.

Date: 2013

Great Companies Make Great Products with Great Leadership from Top to Bottom; Just Ask Garmin!

Culture, leadership, products, and menorship

Testing and paper work

If your passion is engineering, and you enjoy doing it while also working with others, Garmin is for you.

Date: 2013

Garmin internship great opportunity to hone skills and work with large code base

Autonomy, Choose own projects, Flexible, great pay

I'm at the Lawrence satellite office so I wasn't involved with the interns at HQ.

Don't hesitate to ask for help

Advice to Management

Lawrence office gets lost a little bit compared to the interns at HQ

Date: 2013

One of the best internship programs in the country, and it shows

Hiring process was quick with flexible deadlines, and recruiters were very helpful and responsive. Good mentoring program. Very positive atmosphere. Large number of interns, and recruiting team focuses on social gatherings. Very competitive pay.

Some of the work was definitely trivial work that full-time workers didn't want to do, but was still a good introduction to understanding the code base

Don't be afraid to ask questions: everyone I've worked with has been very happy to help with any issues I'm having.

Spending a Summer Living and Working at Garmin

There are many good aspects to having an internship at Garmin, such as the work ethic, the high standards, the potential amount to learn and so much more. Working at Garmin is very cool because they treat their interns as adults and hold them to most of the same standards they would hold a normal employee, minus some of the experience. Everyone I have talked to at Garmin is very friendly and always tries to help me learn as much as I can. Also, working at Garmin is more of a life style. There are tons of clubs to join that will help you network and stay fit. A wide variety of people work at Garmin with a wide variety of taste, so it is interesting to meet all the different people and learn about them.

Honestly, this was my first internship, so I really have nothing to compare it to. I did not dislike anything that is not, from what I have heard, the normal office behavior standards.

Garmin employees like to have fun. If you are having fun you will be much more effective, so I suggest finding something that you like doing at Garmin and going after it. Being consistent with habits such as showing up on time if not early and being determined to do your best on all your work are always benefitial.

Garmin Culture Results in Excellent and Invaluable Internship

1.) Never did "intern" work. Was always working on interesting and necessary tasks. 2.) Excellent team, bosses, and coworkers. People are often willing to drop whatever they are working on to lend aid. 3.) Great work enviroment.

I cannot think of anything negative to say about my experience as an intern.

Garmin provides a very accepting and friendly enviroment. Don't hesitate to ask questions, or seek out others for advice.

Date: 2013

My summer at the most interesting company

The people, the products, and the projects

Some of the HR activities were not a good use of time.

You will not find a company with a more compelling list of products

Advice to Management

Limit the HR activities to allow for interns to get the most done.

Date: 2013

All around good internship, I learned a lot and had fun.

All around good internship, I learned a lot and had fun.

Some of the work was repetitive but that’s to be expected.

All around good company to work for.

Date: 2013

The English language does not contain any words that are able to accurately describe this amazing and fantastic internship.

Meeting all of the awesome people.

It has to end sometime

Not having a dress code is awesome.

Advice to Management

Team dodge ball tournaments

Work Hard, Play Harder

Housing is provided (and only 5mins away), the interns house together which makes outings and bonding easier, you're treated like a full-time employee with equal perks and flexibility, its paid.

The provided housing isn't the best quality (but it's free, so....)

Work your booty off in school! Garmin only takes the best. It is very much a "work hard, play hard" environment, and you need to reflect that.

Advice to Management

Create a consistent policy for overtime among interns.