Garmin's Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #2 Best Retail & Consumer Products Internships  /  #24 Best Overall Internships

4.5 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 291 Intern Reviews)

Amazing experience working with a knowledgeable team
Raleigh, NC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The experience

No full time offer

Be willing to learn

Describe a semaphore

Work is so much better than school

Rewarding work

Great people and culture

I liked pretty much everything. Nothing to complain about.

Take the job. Time spent at Garmin is time well spent.

Advice to Management

Don't put everyone in Aviation. It is hard to retain interns when all they do is write test code.

The internship is entirely hands-on work for a great local company with a global reach.
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The hands on, highly technical work, the people who work there and the environment, and the compensation.

Feedback was only provided at the end of the internship rather than throughout it.

It's an excellent place to be at with interesting work, especially if you're from around the area.

At Garmin you get your own desk AND your own soldering iron
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

They give you real projects to work on that will help out your team. It is easy to learn from the people you work with and they are always friendly and willing to help. The project lifecycles are fast enough so that you can actually make progress through the summer (in the consumer segment at least)

I didn't get to work directly with any other interns because they were spread pretty thin throughout the company.

If you would like to play a central role in the development of electronics you would enjoy working at Garmin. As an electrical engineer you get to work with mechanical and software engineers to turn ideas into products.

Draw a block diagram of a system or product you have designed by yourself or as part of a team in a previous internship or school project. The interviewer then picks a particular block and asks you to describe how you implemented it in detail.

Advice to Management

Encourage more out of work activities between coworkers. The different product segments feel slightly isolated. I think this leads to a 'knowledge island' effect which makes it more difficult to find people with expertise in certain areas.

Incredibly technical, challenging internship with great team and coworkers
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work on something very challenging and fast paced, working with great coworkers, having a boss that is incredibly helpful, and getting paid well to do it.

Working remotely made some aspects slightly more difficult, but that's a very small con - as they gave me the opportunity to work remotely to begin with.

Just come work here. The company, culture, and environment are all wonderful - with the pay to boot.

Great work atmosphere with young and active employees
Kansas City, MO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I loved the team I worked on, the amount of work I was given, and the no dress code policy!

Sometimes stressful

Be prepared to work, but to have fun while you're there

Advice to Management

Nothing! I had a great experience

Positive people. Quality work.

The people.

I would have liked to see more training and better organization of wiki articles, but it was easy to ask other employees any questions.

Be friendly, hardworking, and knowledgeable in a programming language. Be able to describe projects you've worked on.

Tell me about some projects you worked on?

Advice to Management

The wiki documents about technical development need to be updated and organized. There should be better training and documentation of the software architecture/systems.

High School Interns Do Exist
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I really liked how the management understood that school comes first and encouraged that. Also, my mentor and supervisor were always giving me new things to read and look at if I wanted to learn more about a certain topic.

I did not like the age difference, but that was unavoidable.

Garmin is the type of company that makes you want a job there after graduation. The people are nice and helpful towards your development.

What is the radius of the earth?

Find the errors in the following code: *code example*

Advice to Management

I cannot give a good answer to this question because everything seemed good to me, but this was my first internship.

Great Experience working on Real World Problems
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to work on your project without someone breathing down your neck, giving one the opportunity to solve problems on their own.

There were not many complaints.

Garmin will give you a great experience working on projects that actually benefit the company. They also pay well and offer fully furnished apartments.

Garmin Internship Provides Real-World Experience
Kansas City, KS | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Accurate representation of what a full-time job is like, we get to work on real projects, we feel like we make a huge, positive, difference

Even in the suburbs, Kansas City traffic can be scary

Don't be intimidated by any step of the process, everyone is incredibly nice.