Intern at BP National Internship Program? Submit a Review

"Best Internship Ever"

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The aspect of learning the job with many opportunities to understand the scope of work and how it can impacts the economy of both the company and community.

Not sure, it was amazing.

Look for opportunities in different avenues. Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn.

How does air flow work?

Advice to Management

Not sure. Make a scavenger hunt of questions so potential interns/employees can ask employees who work there certain questions that help them interact with more individuals.

Intensive learning in a friendly atmosphere.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the work culture. Everyone I worked with was eager to meet me and provide me assistance in any way I could. I never really felt like the "intern." I felt like I was part of the company from day one.

It was also very challenging and an amazing learning experience.

From a social perspective, BP also did their very best to provide us with networking opportunities with the interns and fellow workers.

It may sound cliche, but nothing at all. The only thing that bothered me was waking up early to go to work, and even that wasn't bad since I enjoyed going to work.

Come with an OPEN mind! It will be very intimidating at first, but you definitely need to push yourself and use BP's resources to your advantage. The company provides so many services and they will only help you if you choose to use them.

Advice to Management

Do not bring in as many interns if there are not as many open positions for full-time

great compensation for continual learning

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work life balance. Compensation. Location.

Commute of 30 minutes to/from CHicago

Don't be afraid to teach yourself before you ask the question

Exciting, challenging, and rewarding experience with BP Reservoir Engineering Team

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone I worked with was always more than willing to put what they were doing on hold and work with me on my project and answer my questions. Very laid back yet productive and friendly atmosphere in which I loved working in. The internship itself was very well structured and I was given a great project to work on, and my project was a real world project not something just pulled off the shelf for an intern to do.

I was put into a role that had no prior experience for even though I did learn how to do my job eventually. I was forced to spend a lot of time getting up to speed rather than working on the project. Seated far away from my team and didn't get to interact with them much.

Work hard, never be afraid to ask questions, and the only thing limiting you at BP is yourself

Given a well diagram with bottom hole and surface equipment pressures and asked "when will well stop flowing on its own?"

Tell me about a time when you showed leadership

Advice to Management

Better incorporation of Interns within teams. (This may be a specific case for me because I was told it was not a widespread issue) the Lunch and Learns were awesome and I greatly enjoyed all of the intern activities.

I discovered knowledge that transcends that which is learned in the classroom and my own leadership skills

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All the BP interns were treated with respect and help was always readily available

I do not have an answer to this question.

I do not have an answer to this question.

Not another internship

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

pay, work hours, work/life balance, challenge in work

free housing, stimulating work, open access to company

if you want to be an investment banker with a work/life balance, pick BP

Great Experience

flexible

self motivated

didnt feel like i had enough time

take every opportuntiy you can

There was a technical one related to materials

Advice to Management

have the supervisors engage more with the interns

Best way to learn and apply what you learn at school. Awesome experience and a nice insight on how you will enjoy your job once you graduate

Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Valuable Learning and respectfull stress less environment

Short time, I wish it was longer than two months

Be outgoing and eager to ask questions

Networking and learning about the business is key; refinery decisions will be made based on my projects

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

*The people are fantastic - nice, friendly, eager to help you succeed

*Opportunities beyond the normal internship are available if you seek them

*My work is going to (within the month) be adopted by the refineries - large, real-world monetary and product quality decision based on my work

*Good office culture (softball team, general friendliness, outings, etc)

*A lot of interns provides a good social climate

*Paid and furnished housing makes long-distance relocation easy

*Located in the suburbs of Chicago, so it's challenging without a car

People within BP move around a lot, staying in the same roles 2-4 years. This is great if you want to do lots of different things or move up, but it's probably not the best business strategy.

Advice to Management

I don't think there should be such strong emphasis on CoOp programs - I think it is really demoralizing to interns, who think they're less likely to get hired than someone who's done five rotations in the company. Additionally, coming from a school ranked probably a hundred places higher than the CoOp schools, I feel as if I had to work a lot harder and prove myself a lot more to get to the same place that they got just by not being bad at their first rotation.

Discovering BP and the energy industry

- own projects

- company culture and support system

- paid apartment and great compensation

- structured internship program

- ability to network with other functions and leaders

- would have liked

BP is really a great place to intern at with many perks. They pay for your apartment, give you excellent compensation, and provide you with challenging projects.

Why do you want to intern in the oil and gas industry?