Intern at BP National Internship Program? Submit a Review

Great Experience

flexible

self motivated

didnt feel like i had enough time

take every opportuntiy you can

There was a technical one related to materials

Advice to Management

have the supervisors engage more with the interns

I discovered knowledge that transcends that which is learned in the classroom and my own leadership skills

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All the BP interns were treated with respect and help was always readily available

I do not have an answer to this question.

I do not have an answer to this question.

Exciting, challenging, and rewarding experience with BP Reservoir Engineering Team

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone I worked with was always more than willing to put what they were doing on hold and work with me on my project and answer my questions. Very laid back yet productive and friendly atmosphere in which I loved working in. The internship itself was very well structured and I was given a great project to work on, and my project was a real world project not something just pulled off the shelf for an intern to do.

I was put into a role that had no prior experience for even though I did learn how to do my job eventually. I was forced to spend a lot of time getting up to speed rather than working on the project. Seated far away from my team and didn't get to interact with them much.

Work hard, never be afraid to ask questions, and the only thing limiting you at BP is yourself

Given a well diagram with bottom hole and surface equipment pressures and asked "when will well stop flowing on its own?"

Tell me about a time when you showed leadership

Advice to Management

Better incorporation of Interns within teams. (This may be a specific case for me because I was told it was not a widespread issue) the Lunch and Learns were awesome and I greatly enjoyed all of the intern activities.

Challenging, Exciting, and Rewarding Experience.

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

BP covered all of the costs of relocation and housing. They had a really cool three day intern training experience where we learned more about the oil and gas industry and what is BP's long term strategy. Lots of lunch and learns with free lunch! I got to hear from a handful of executives who were offering career advice. All interns presented their summer projects at an event called TechnoFest and there were winners in three categories: Technical Excellence, Business Impact, Safety & Operational Risk.

There was nothing that I did not like.

Learn as much as you can about the energy industry and BP's strategy. Know the business whether you're interning in upstream/downstream.

Tell me about a time you led a team through a difficult transition.

Advice to Management

None.

Exploring mechanical engineering responsibilities in the oil and gas industry

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Was able to go offshore for a total of 12 days, on three seperate trips to get a better understanding of my project and to perform tasks that were valuable to the team. I was given a project that not only would move the team forward but also fine tuned my skills as a young engineer

Nothing comes to mind

You will be doing real engineering work at BP that will help you better understand the oil and gas industry. BP gives interns full-time employee work, not 'busy work'. Very enriching and valuable experience

Bp has two parts to their interview process. Behavioral questions and technical questions. The behavioral are similar to most other companies. But the technical questions are unique in that they evaluate how a candidate thinks through a logic process to achieve a solution.

Advice to Management

Nothing comes to mind

Intensive learning in a friendly atmosphere.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the work culture. Everyone I worked with was eager to meet me and provide me assistance in any way I could. I never really felt like the "intern." I felt like I was part of the company from day one.

It was also very challenging and an amazing learning experience.

From a social perspective, BP also did their very best to provide us with networking opportunities with the interns and fellow workers.

It may sound cliche, but nothing at all. The only thing that bothered me was waking up early to go to work, and even that wasn't bad since I enjoyed going to work.

Come with an OPEN mind! It will be very intimidating at first, but you definitely need to push yourself and use BP's resources to your advantage. The company provides so many services and they will only help you if you choose to use them.

Advice to Management

Do not bring in as many interns if there are not as many open positions for full-time

A valuable career development experience, not just a summer job

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone was very helpful and willing to work with me whenever I needed help. The opportunities to go see manufacturing facilities, and and work on an offshore rig were very educational and valuable experience.

With all of the interns that the company had, there was sometimes a lack of communication when trying to involve all of the interns in something.

This company is absolutely great to work for and they don't treat you like a paper pusher intern, but like an employee that they are there to teach and to help. The internship offered by BP is a top notch job that takes very good care of you both financially and personally.

Amazing Experience in Alaska, Not Eaten By Polar Bears

Work Environment/People

Pay

Projects given to the interns were meaningful and were likely to be used after the summer ended.

Holding an office-based position doesn't allow for a ton of exercise during the day.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn as much as possible about BP. As an employer, BP is a great choice.

A heat exchanger installed just last year is not functioning properly. Please explain the modes of heat transfer occurring and describe what might be causing the exchanger to malfunction.

Advice to Management

Training for interns would be great upfront, just to get a better idea of the acronyms and data gathering systems would really give our projects a jump-start and interns could excel much more quickly.

A fruitful summer experience in the industry

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with talented people and state of the art computing facilities

Interns have less communicating opportunities (with each other) compared with previous experience

Great place to conduct research activities; a wonderful opportunity to learn old things as well as explore new things.

What is your thesis topic and do you want to work on a project related to the topic?

Advice to Management

Space of several group activities seem to be quite limited; other than that it has been a great experience

At BP I learned where I wanted to be.

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my BP internship were: exposure to the working conditions on the North Slope, background on the oil and gas industry, mentoring from successful professionals, support from my project team, and the opportunity to work in the beautiful state of Alaska.

Working with and getting to know all of the very talented interns was difficult knowing not everyone would be getting a job offer.

Aggressively pursue an internship with BP. You will be well paid and work on real projects.

1) Describe an instance in the work place where you were aware of someone doing something wrong or unsafe? How did you respond to it?

2) What components would be necessary in the design of an electrical system for an off shore oil platform in the North Sea?

Advice to Management

Continue to send engaging staff to do college requirement. Five minutes of personal conversation with a BP representative allowed me to open up about my background and experience and not just talk about my engineering program....as a result I will now be working fro BP.