BP National Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #4 Best Energy Internships  /  #41 Best Overall Internships

Summer Internship Focused on Personal Development
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone at BP was extremely open to helping you on your summer project and in the end we feedback on our projects from current workers and the impact our projects have on them

The organization was going through a reorganization so my summer project was difficult with the lack of clarity on the permanent direction of the company

The working environment is fairly laid back and everyone is willing to help if you have questions or issues

Why do you want to work at BP?

Advice to Management

I do think with the rotational program there should be more distinction in pay if there is not already so for those who work harder

BP is one of the best companies in the oil industry to work for.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lot of guidance and encouragement

No negative thing aspect that I could see.

Go for it if you get an offer.

1. How would you handle a very tight deadline if you have other things suddenly showing up?

2. Tell me about a situation when you were in charge of other's safety?

3. Interpret this well log (log shown by the interviewer) and tell me at what depths the oil and gas are located. Show me all possible log patterns that justify what you have just interpreted.

4. Also, questions were asked regarding rock typing.

I'd Work As An Unpaid Intern!
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the project assigned, the environment, the culture, etc.

I wish I could've received more assignments

Think of the broader picture if you want to work here. Know the industry, know the trends, know the market. Be a creative thinker and don't give up by saying "I don't know."

Name a time you used safety, respect, team work, etc.

Advice to Management

A more applicable interview- questions were extremely challenging even for a supervisor at the company.

Great Project and Experience!
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Great technical project that aren't available at smaller independents

- Wonderful people to work with (it was a privilege to work with everyone on my team)

- Great opportunities to learn with some of the best people in the industry

- Wonderful mentors. I was afraid that for such a big company that employees might have less time devoted to interns but I was definitely proven wrong. I loved my mentors this summer

I enjoyed the internship overall. I think that the part I liked the least about the internship was actually the post-interview process. It took a very long time to get the results of my acceptance and I know it also took a long time for others to get their denials. It would be great if somehow that process time can be decreased.

All of the projects given to interns are do-able. I was panicking at the beginning because I thought I would never be able to finish my project due to the difficulty of it but over the course of the summer I realized that it was a great project for an intern like me and I learned a lot from my mentors. Also, try to communicate with people outside your team as well; I feel like I really lacked in that area and didn't really interact with others that weren't on my floor.

Advice to Management

I think overall the internship presented by BP is probably the best one I've experienced so far out of the three I've had. I will say that the really only complaint I have is again the time it takes for BP to respond post-interview for the internship and also for a full-time offer which I am still waiting for.

I was able to take charge of my own project, network with professionals, and learn valuable career skills.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

learning about the oil/gas industry, taking charge of your own project from start to finish

the wait time between projects

Stay on top of your work, but don't rush through it. Make sure youre completing everything with the best accuracy. Accuracy is more important than finishing it quickly.

Networking and professional development opportunity within the energy commodity trading business
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager gave me really flexible hours, my team was very supportive, upper management was always willing to talk to me and answer any questions I had, and everyone around me was a resource for my internship project

I did not always feel connected to the other interns or the diversity/recruitment teams

Great place to network and learn about the industry. It's really overwhelming because there are so many people and so much to learn. Good educational opportunities, graduate programs are still being developed and tweaked.

Advice to Management

There might be some disconnect between University Relations and interns. I would also look at graduate development programs to see how they compare to other organizations.

A Summer Filled with Countless Opportunities to Learn and Make an Impact -- As An Intern!
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All interns are given free housing, which was amazing. Also, interns in IST were given projects with actual responsibility and whose outcomes were actually very important for the team and most of which were immediately implemented. Furthermore, I had no prior knowledge of the energy industry before this internship, and learned an incredible amount in my short 10 weeks at BP.

Lots of different assessments of interns, but still enjoyable since the intern class didn't act competitive or unfriendly toward each other.

If you are interested in the energy markets and are willing to work hard and put in the time, BP's IST is the perfect match for you.

Hands-on, interactive, and realistic mechanical engineering internship
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given ownership over a refinery-wide project and my work was important to many other engineers. The project challenged me technically and relationally, which I know will benefit me in my career. Also, everyone was very friendly and gave me respect, even though I hadn't necessarily earned it as an intern just yet. This was my second time around and I loved it even more!

There isn't much to say except that my office space was slightly cramped and not very private, but that also proved to be good because many people stopped by to talk to me.

BP really cares about your individual needs, your life outside of work, and they have great perks/benefits. The work that was assigned was also work that full-time employees would be doing, so it felt meaningful.

N/A

Advice to Management

BP is already doing a great job of raising awareness for increased diversity in the workplace, so I hope this will continue and improve. Currently, while most people understand the importance of diversity and inclusion, not everyone does, but it's getting close!

Document control for the thunder horse tar 2015. With that I looked at hydro-testing of spools along with the preservation of the spools.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting the opportunity to go offshore and visit multiple yards through out the summer really helped show me what I would be doing as a full time employee. It also help with the big picture of how major projects are staged and executed.

I really wish I could see the define and execute stages of the tar since I would love to see the select stage put into effect.

Was able to see how the oil and gas industry operates on the projects side. I was able to actually see some of the things I was working on implemented and with that was able to get the big picture of how spools are fabricated along with preservation of spools.

Advice to Management

Give interns as many opportunities as possible to get into the field and see their work put into service.

Very inclusive and respectful environment, and interns assigned meaningful projects
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

We had great pay, great housing, real projects, and got to learn more about the company and the industry.

Human resources and the hiring process is very veiled.

Make sure to prepare yourself for the interview, and come into your workplace with passion and enthusiasm.

They asked about building a new pipeline and related logistics.

Advice to Management

I think that there should be more transparency within the company.