Intern at BP National Internship Program? Submit a Review

Great Project and Experience!

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Great technical project that aren't available at smaller independents

- Wonderful people to work with (it was a privilege to work with everyone on my team)

- Great opportunities to learn with some of the best people in the industry

- Wonderful mentors. I was afraid that for such a big company that employees might have less time devoted to interns but I was definitely proven wrong. I loved my mentors this summer

I enjoyed the internship overall. I think that the part I liked the least about the internship was actually the post-interview process. It took a very long time to get the results of my acceptance and I know it also took a long time for others to get their denials. It would be great if somehow that process time can be decreased.

All of the projects given to interns are do-able. I was panicking at the beginning because I thought I would never be able to finish my project due to the difficulty of it but over the course of the summer I realized that it was a great project for an intern like me and I learned a lot from my mentors. Also, try to communicate with people outside your team as well; I feel like I really lacked in that area and didn't really interact with others that weren't on my floor.

Advice to Management

I think overall the internship presented by BP is probably the best one I've experienced so far out of the three I've had. I will say that the really only complaint I have is again the time it takes for BP to respond post-interview for the internship and also for a full-time offer which I am still waiting for.

BP is one of the best companies in the oil industry to work for.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lot of guidance and encouragement

No negative thing aspect that I could see.

Go for it if you get an offer.

1. How would you handle a very tight deadline if you have other things suddenly showing up?

2. Tell me about a situation when you were in charge of other's safety?

3. Interpret this well log (log shown by the interviewer) and tell me at what depths the oil and gas are located. Show me all possible log patterns that justify what you have just interpreted.

4. Also, questions were asked regarding rock typing.

A productive and fun summer at BP, Houston

1) Interesting project with real data and significant business relevance

2) Ample opportunities to network with key people in my field of interest in the company

3) Great administrave support w.r.t. setting up and settling in

4) Friendly, supportive, welcoming people

5) Good work-life balance

No strong dislikes. Some possible areas of improvement:

1) Number of meetings/presentations a tad to many

2) Overall outlook for future not very positive due to ongoing repurcussions of Macando oil spill

BP is a great place to intern, and potentially work as a full-time employee. It is a perfect fit for people who value work-life balance along with reasonable interesting work quality and pay.

Since I had previous work-experience as a petrophysicist, I was given a well log set to interpret (i really appreciated this customization during the interview process)

Plus standard HR questions like: biggest strength and weakness, example of a difficult time and how you overcame it, etc.

Intern corrects MI injection schedule and increases oil production through detailed analysis

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great mentors. Valuable project. Coworkers were really excited to help at a moment's notice. Awesome 9/80 work schedule! Excellent location. Fun group of interns to socialize with. Good experience for future jobs.

Certain work flows are less structured than I would like.

This is a great company to begin a career with. They will invest a lot of money into your training and will offer you real responsibilities on the job. Try to join this company if possible.

Summer Internship Focused on Personal Development

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone at BP was extremely open to helping you on your summer project and in the end we feedback on our projects from current workers and the impact our projects have on them

The organization was going through a reorganization so my summer project was difficult with the lack of clarity on the permanent direction of the company

The working environment is fairly laid back and everyone is willing to help if you have questions or issues

Why do you want to work at BP?

Advice to Management

I do think with the rotational program there should be more distinction in pay if there is not already so for those who work harder

Understand Procurement through Strategic Sourcing

Excellent networking opportunities

Worked well with team and other interns

Multiple responsibilities important to core business

Educational opportunities

Able to manage category with $4M annual spend

Bureaucracy - expected with all major companies

Internship coordinator

Lack of interaction with non-PSCM departments

Understand that BP is a relationship-based organization

Presentation skills are necessary but you improve over time

Talk to different departments

Describe how you would go about creating a contract with a consulting firm

Describe an experience when you worked with a team

Advice to Management

The Challenge Program mentality of the programming 'owning' you seems a bit binding. Challengers often share similar/more menial tasks than interns. Make full time employment sound like a step up from interning. Listen to employee considerations of where they want to work.

Document control for the thunder horse tar 2015. With that I looked at hydro-testing of spools along with the preservation of the spools.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting the opportunity to go offshore and visit multiple yards through out the summer really helped show me what I would be doing as a full time employee. It also help with the big picture of how major projects are staged and executed.

I really wish I could see the define and execute stages of the tar since I would love to see the select stage put into effect.

Was able to see how the oil and gas industry operates on the projects side. I was able to actually see some of the things I was working on implemented and with that was able to get the big picture of how spools are fabricated along with preservation of spools.

Advice to Management

Give interns as many opportunities as possible to get into the field and see their work put into service.

Very inclusive and respectful environment, and interns assigned meaningful projects

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

We had great pay, great housing, real projects, and got to learn more about the company and the industry.

Human resources and the hiring process is very veiled.

Make sure to prepare yourself for the interview, and come into your workplace with passion and enthusiasm.

They asked about building a new pipeline and related logistics.

Advice to Management

I think that there should be more transparency within the company.

Good experience with work -life balance

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Coworkers are very generous in offering help and support

Some days were slow and unproductive

Talk to individuals who have worked for large corporations before and seek their input

A Summer Filled with Countless Opportunities to Learn and Make an Impact -- As An Intern!

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All interns are given free housing, which was amazing. Also, interns in IST were given projects with actual responsibility and whose outcomes were actually very important for the team and most of which were immediately implemented. Furthermore, I had no prior knowledge of the energy industry before this internship, and learned an incredible amount in my short 10 weeks at BP.

Lots of different assessments of interns, but still enjoyable since the intern class didn't act competitive or unfriendly toward each other.

If you are interested in the energy markets and are willing to work hard and put in the time, BP's IST is the perfect match for you.