Intern at BP National Internship Program? Submit a Review

BP is one of the best companies in the oil industry to work for.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lot of guidance and encouragement

No negative thing aspect that I could see.

Go for it if you get an offer.

1. How would you handle a very tight deadline if you have other things suddenly showing up?

2. Tell me about a situation when you were in charge of other's safety?

3. Interpret this well log (log shown by the interviewer) and tell me at what depths the oil and gas are located. Show me all possible log patterns that justify what you have just interpreted.

4. Also, questions were asked regarding rock typing.

Intern corrects MI injection schedule and increases oil production through detailed analysis

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great mentors. Valuable project. Coworkers were really excited to help at a moment's notice. Awesome 9/80 work schedule! Excellent location. Fun group of interns to socialize with. Good experience for future jobs.

Certain work flows are less structured than I would like.

This is a great company to begin a career with. They will invest a lot of money into your training and will offer you real responsibilities on the job. Try to join this company if possible.

Summer Internship Focused on Personal Development

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone at BP was extremely open to helping you on your summer project and in the end we feedback on our projects from current workers and the impact our projects have on them

The organization was going through a reorganization so my summer project was difficult with the lack of clarity on the permanent direction of the company

The working environment is fairly laid back and everyone is willing to help if you have questions or issues

Advice to Management

I do think with the rotational program there should be more distinction in pay if there is not already so for those who work harder

Why do you want to work at BP?

Great Project and Experience!

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Great technical project that aren't available at smaller independents

- Wonderful people to work with (it was a privilege to work with everyone on my team)

- Great opportunities to learn with some of the best people in the industry

- Wonderful mentors. I was afraid that for such a big company that employees might have less time devoted to interns but I was definitely proven wrong. I loved my mentors this summer

I enjoyed the internship overall. I think that the part I liked the least about the internship was actually the post-interview process. It took a very long time to get the results of my acceptance and I know it also took a long time for others to get their denials. It would be great if somehow that process time can be decreased.

All of the projects given to interns are do-able. I was panicking at the beginning because I thought I would never be able to finish my project due to the difficulty of it but over the course of the summer I realized that it was a great project for an intern like me and I learned a lot from my mentors. Also, try to communicate with people outside your team as well; I feel like I really lacked in that area and didn't really interact with others that weren't on my floor.

Advice to Management

I think overall the internship presented by BP is probably the best one I've experienced so far out of the three I've had. I will say that the really only complaint I have is again the time it takes for BP to respond post-interview for the internship and also for a full-time offer which I am still waiting for.

I'd Work As An Unpaid Intern!

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the project assigned, the environment, the culture, etc.

I wish I could've received more assignments

Think of the broader picture if you want to work here. Know the industry, know the trends, know the market. Be a creative thinker and don't give up by saying "I don't know."

Advice to Management

A more applicable interview- questions were extremely challenging even for a supervisor at the company.

Name a time you used safety, respect, team work, etc.

A productive and fun summer at BP, Houston

1) Interesting project with real data and significant business relevance

2) Ample opportunities to network with key people in my field of interest in the company

3) Great administrave support w.r.t. setting up and settling in

4) Friendly, supportive, welcoming people

5) Good work-life balance

No strong dislikes. Some possible areas of improvement:

1) Number of meetings/presentations a tad to many

2) Overall outlook for future not very positive due to ongoing repurcussions of Macando oil spill

BP is a great place to intern, and potentially work as a full-time employee. It is a perfect fit for people who value work-life balance along with reasonable interesting work quality and pay.

Since I had previous work-experience as a petrophysicist, I was given a well log set to interpret (i really appreciated this customization during the interview process)

Plus standard HR questions like: biggest strength and weakness, example of a difficult time and how you overcame it, etc.

I was able to take charge of my own project, network with professionals, and learn valuable career skills.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

learning about the oil/gas industry, taking charge of your own project from start to finish

the wait time between projects

Stay on top of your work, but don't rush through it. Make sure youre completing everything with the best accuracy. Accuracy is more important than finishing it quickly.

Understand Procurement through Strategic Sourcing

Excellent networking opportunities

Worked well with team and other interns

Multiple responsibilities important to core business

Educational opportunities

Able to manage category with $4M annual spend

Bureaucracy - expected with all major companies

Internship coordinator

Lack of interaction with non-PSCM departments

Understand that BP is a relationship-based organization

Presentation skills are necessary but you improve over time

Talk to different departments

Advice to Management

The Challenge Program mentality of the programming 'owning' you seems a bit binding. Challengers often share similar/more menial tasks than interns. Make full time employment sound like a step up from interning. Listen to employee considerations of where they want to work.

Describe how you would go about creating a contract with a consulting firm

Describe an experience when you worked with a team

Hands-on, interactive, and realistic mechanical engineering internship

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given ownership over a refinery-wide project and my work was important to many other engineers. The project challenged me technically and relationally, which I know will benefit me in my career. Also, everyone was very friendly and gave me respect, even though I hadn't necessarily earned it as an intern just yet. This was my second time around and I loved it even more!

There isn't much to say except that my office space was slightly cramped and not very private, but that also proved to be good because many people stopped by to talk to me.

BP really cares about your individual needs, your life outside of work, and they have great perks/benefits. The work that was assigned was also work that full-time employees would be doing, so it felt meaningful.

Advice to Management

BP is already doing a great job of raising awareness for increased diversity in the workplace, so I hope this will continue and improve. Currently, while most people understand the importance of diversity and inclusion, not everyone does, but it's getting close!

N/A

Networking and professional development opportunity within the energy commodity trading business

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager gave me really flexible hours, my team was very supportive, upper management was always willing to talk to me and answer any questions I had, and everyone around me was a resource for my internship project

I did not always feel connected to the other interns or the diversity/recruitment teams

Great place to network and learn about the industry. It's really overwhelming because there are so many people and so much to learn. Good educational opportunities, graduate programs are still being developed and tweaked.

Advice to Management

There might be some disconnect between University Relations and interns. I would also look at graduate development programs to see how they compare to other organizations.