BP National Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #4 Best Energy Internships  /  #41 Best Overall Internships

A productive and fun summer at BP, Houston

1) Interesting project with real data and significant business relevance

2) Ample opportunities to network with key people in my field of interest in the company

3) Great administrave support w.r.t. setting up and settling in

4) Friendly, supportive, welcoming people

5) Good work-life balance

No strong dislikes. Some possible areas of improvement:

1) Number of meetings/presentations a tad to many

2) Overall outlook for future not very positive due to ongoing repurcussions of Macando oil spill

BP is a great place to intern, and potentially work as a full-time employee. It is a perfect fit for people who value work-life balance along with reasonable interesting work quality and pay.

Since I had previous work-experience as a petrophysicist, I was given a well log set to interpret (i really appreciated this customization during the interview process)

Plus standard HR questions like: biggest strength and weakness, example of a difficult time and how you overcame it, etc.

BP is one of the best companies in the oil industry to work for.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Lot of guidance and encouragement

No negative thing aspect that I could see.

Go for it if you get an offer.

1. How would you handle a very tight deadline if you have other things suddenly showing up?

2. Tell me about a situation when you were in charge of other's safety?

3. Interpret this well log (log shown by the interviewer) and tell me at what depths the oil and gas are located. Show me all possible log patterns that justify what you have just interpreted.

4. Also, questions were asked regarding rock typing.

Intern corrects MI injection schedule and increases oil production through detailed analysis
Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great mentors. Valuable project. Coworkers were really excited to help at a moment's notice. Awesome 9/80 work schedule! Excellent location. Fun group of interns to socialize with. Good experience for future jobs.

Certain work flows are less structured than I would like.

This is a great company to begin a career with. They will invest a lot of money into your training and will offer you real responsibilities on the job. Try to join this company if possible.

Great Project and Experience!
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Great technical project that aren't available at smaller independents

- Wonderful people to work with (it was a privilege to work with everyone on my team)

- Great opportunities to learn with some of the best people in the industry

- Wonderful mentors. I was afraid that for such a big company that employees might have less time devoted to interns but I was definitely proven wrong. I loved my mentors this summer

I enjoyed the internship overall. I think that the part I liked the least about the internship was actually the post-interview process. It took a very long time to get the results of my acceptance and I know it also took a long time for others to get their denials. It would be great if somehow that process time can be decreased.

All of the projects given to interns are do-able. I was panicking at the beginning because I thought I would never be able to finish my project due to the difficulty of it but over the course of the summer I realized that it was a great project for an intern like me and I learned a lot from my mentors. Also, try to communicate with people outside your team as well; I feel like I really lacked in that area and didn't really interact with others that weren't on my floor.

Advice to Management

I think overall the internship presented by BP is probably the best one I've experienced so far out of the three I've had. I will say that the really only complaint I have is again the time it takes for BP to respond post-interview for the internship and also for a full-time offer which I am still waiting for.

Networking and professional development opportunity within the energy commodity trading business
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My manager gave me really flexible hours, my team was very supportive, upper management was always willing to talk to me and answer any questions I had, and everyone around me was a resource for my internship project

I did not always feel connected to the other interns or the diversity/recruitment teams

Great place to network and learn about the industry. It's really overwhelming because there are so many people and so much to learn. Good educational opportunities, graduate programs are still being developed and tweaked.

Advice to Management

There might be some disconnect between University Relations and interns. I would also look at graduate development programs to see how they compare to other organizations.

A Summer Filled with Countless Opportunities to Learn and Make an Impact -- As An Intern!
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All interns are given free housing, which was amazing. Also, interns in IST were given projects with actual responsibility and whose outcomes were actually very important for the team and most of which were immediately implemented. Furthermore, I had no prior knowledge of the energy industry before this internship, and learned an incredible amount in my short 10 weeks at BP.

Lots of different assessments of interns, but still enjoyable since the intern class didn't act competitive or unfriendly toward each other.

If you are interested in the energy markets and are willing to work hard and put in the time, BP's IST is the perfect match for you.

Great experience
Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspect was that I had the opportunity to work on a real life project that will actually be implemented by the company. Also, BP offered very well rounded care for interns, including housing, speaking skills workshops, great benefits, etc.

There were some intern events that were a little stressful and rather competitive.

BP values employees who take initiative, have a passion for learning, can continuously improve, can contribute technical knowledge, and can communicate ideas in a very clear and concise manner. Their core values are safety, courage, one team, resepct, and excellence.

Talk about a time when you had to work with someone who was difficult to work with and your response.

Advice to Management

There were many activities that offered professional growth, but it may be nice to have a few technical experience workshops as well.

Interesting and Relevant Project
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I got a lot of exposure to leadership and different parts of the organization as an intern with a special project. I was given real responsibility and was treated with respect.

I had to ask multiple times before getting any feedback on my work.

Do not be shy about approaching people in different areas of the business, as that is the best way to identify potential career paths.

I'd Work As An Unpaid Intern!
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the project assigned, the environment, the culture, etc.

I wish I could've received more assignments

Think of the broader picture if you want to work here. Know the industry, know the trends, know the market. Be a creative thinker and don't give up by saying "I don't know."

Name a time you used safety, respect, team work, etc.

Advice to Management

A more applicable interview- questions were extremely challenging even for a supervisor at the company.

Hands-on, interactive, and realistic mechanical engineering internship
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given ownership over a refinery-wide project and my work was important to many other engineers. The project challenged me technically and relationally, which I know will benefit me in my career. Also, everyone was very friendly and gave me respect, even though I hadn't necessarily earned it as an intern just yet. This was my second time around and I loved it even more!

There isn't much to say except that my office space was slightly cramped and not very private, but that also proved to be good because many people stopped by to talk to me.

BP really cares about your individual needs, your life outside of work, and they have great perks/benefits. The work that was assigned was also work that full-time employees would be doing, so it felt meaningful.

N/A

Advice to Management

BP is already doing a great job of raising awareness for increased diversity in the workplace, so I hope this will continue and improve. Currently, while most people understand the importance of diversity and inclusion, not everyone does, but it's getting close!