BP National Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #4 Best Energy Internships  /  #41 Best Overall Internships

Fully Vested in Intern Growth and Development
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning, culture, community, benefits and pay

Politics and red tape. Needs WAY more flexibility and better communication between HR, USUR, IST, and other departments

The internship is challenging, but so worth it. It becomes what you make it.

Advice to Management

Needs WAY more flexibility. Too much red tape. Almost patronizing.

At BP I learned where I wanted to be.
Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my BP internship were: exposure to the working conditions on the North Slope, background on the oil and gas industry, mentoring from successful professionals, support from my project team, and the opportunity to work in the beautiful state of Alaska.

Working with and getting to know all of the very talented interns was difficult knowing not everyone would be getting a job offer.

Aggressively pursue an internship with BP. You will be well paid and work on real projects.

1) Describe an instance in the work place where you were aware of someone doing something wrong or unsafe? How did you respond to it?

2) What components would be necessary in the design of an electrical system for an off shore oil platform in the North Sea?

Advice to Management

Continue to send engaging staff to do college requirement. Five minutes of personal conversation with a BP representative allowed me to open up about my background and experience and not just talk about my engineering program....as a result I will now be working fro BP.

A fruitful summer experience in the industry
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with talented people and state of the art computing facilities

Interns have less communicating opportunities (with each other) compared with previous experience

Great place to conduct research activities; a wonderful opportunity to learn old things as well as explore new things.

What is your thesis topic and do you want to work on a project related to the topic?

Advice to Management

Space of several group activities seem to be quite limited; other than that it has been a great experience

Developing engineers for safety, excellence, courage, respect, and One Team
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were very helpful. They encouraged me to push myself to master new software and technical concepts. The work hours fit my lifestyle. I enjoyed joining the BP soccer team. I liked being able to participate in the benefits program as an intern.

That it had to end. It was great! I would have stayed longer if I could.

BP has an excellent 3-year training program called the challenger program. You have a list of core competencies that the company hopes you master within the course of 3 years. You will have plenty of mentors to help you along the way, both those that have been formally assigned to you and those who you have reached out to. You will have a technical assessor help you measure your progress in the program and help you set new goals to push your professional development to reach new heights.

explain a time when you had to convince others to follow a plan you came up with.

what is the purpose of the fins in a fin and tube heat exchanger?

Explain a time in which you had to be innovative

Advice to Management

I loved being a part of a team of engineers working on the front-end of projects. There were many opportunities to add significant value to the company. I love the opportunities to learn and grow and would recommend continuing the current style of career development for young engineers.

A Great Life Experience
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Communication & Team building.

Not long enough.

Learn software excel.....

Do you know logs and read this map.

Advice to Management

None everyone was professional and helpful.

a fantastic and knowledge learning experience
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

People around me always encouraged me to do what I want. Whenever I have difficult, they are very happy to help me.

The intern work is not very closely related with my PhD study. However, I still took particular interest in the intern project.

good working environment, open to talk, nice colleagues

what is you strength and weakness?

Refinery process engineering internship with great people and a great facility
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The internship really helped teach me new things not only about refining but about engineering as well as communication. The people were very nice and helpful, they were always willing to help out and answer questions.

Possibly show the interns their area a little more in depth.

Once you are there, learn the programs and connect with people outside of your department.

Advice to Management

Show the interns an in depth tour of the unit they are working in. Have more of an introduction to the programs that the company uses.

Fun, good leaning experiance, opportunity to meet new people who bcome my good friends.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Fun, great place to work, live project, great opportunity to know the company culture.

Time was little short for the amount of work, what I would have expected.

Great place to work. Understand the company culture, and find if you like the company good enough to work for. Meet poeple when you are at intrenship.

"Local objectives with global effects", or " See how your contributions have a global reach".
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The training, I was not only trained within the company but I was fortunate enough to be sent outside of BP to receive necessary to ensure success on my project.

Being placed on a team that didn't have much to do with my project. I dealt with people outside of my asset a lot and didn't really have a chance to get to know my team members very well as a result. We meet only for team meetings and didn't really feel as close to them as other interns did with their team. I felt that this was a shame since I know they were all very good and nice people.

Get to know everyone. Don't hesitate to ask questions since everyone in the company seemed to have a genuine interest in watching you succeed.

A terrific learning experience, a unique opportunity to grow professionally and choose the right career path.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Infinite learning resources, great expertise of the advisers, comfortable working environment, team-oriented efforts, optimal work/life balance, several social and networking initiatives, excellent pay and benefits

I cannot think of something I did not like or I liked least about the internship

Among the numerous things, BP offers infinite learning resources (i.e. cutting-edge software, highest-quality data, etc), an intensive 3-year training program, a comfortable working environment, an optimal work/life balance, several social and networking initiatives, and an excellent pay and benefits