Intern at BP National Internship Program? Submit a Review

Networking and learning about the business is key; refinery decisions will be made based on my projects

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

*The people are fantastic - nice, friendly, eager to help you succeed

*Opportunities beyond the normal internship are available if you seek them

*My work is going to (within the month) be adopted by the refineries - large, real-world monetary and product quality decision based on my work

*Good office culture (softball team, general friendliness, outings, etc)

*A lot of interns provides a good social climate

*Paid and furnished housing makes long-distance relocation easy

*Located in the suburbs of Chicago, so it's challenging without a car

People within BP move around a lot, staying in the same roles 2-4 years. This is great if you want to do lots of different things or move up, but it's probably not the best business strategy.

Advice to Management

I don't think there should be such strong emphasis on CoOp programs - I think it is really demoralizing to interns, who think they're less likely to get hired than someone who's done five rotations in the company. Additionally, coming from a school ranked probably a hundred places higher than the CoOp schools, I feel as if I had to work a lot harder and prove myself a lot more to get to the same place that they got just by not being bad at their first rotation.

Discovering BP and the energy industry

- own projects

- company culture and support system

- paid apartment and great compensation

- structured internship program

- ability to network with other functions and leaders

- would have liked

BP is really a great place to intern at with many perks. They pay for your apartment, give you excellent compensation, and provide you with challenging projects.

Why do you want to intern in the oil and gas industry?

Great Experience

flexible

self motivated

didnt feel like i had enough time

take every opportuntiy you can

There was a technical one related to materials

Advice to Management

have the supervisors engage more with the interns

A valuable career development experience, not just a summer job

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone was very helpful and willing to work with me whenever I needed help. The opportunities to go see manufacturing facilities, and and work on an offshore rig were very educational and valuable experience.

With all of the interns that the company had, there was sometimes a lack of communication when trying to involve all of the interns in something.

This company is absolutely great to work for and they don't treat you like a paper pusher intern, but like an employee that they are there to teach and to help. The internship offered by BP is a top notch job that takes very good care of you both financially and personally.

Amazing Experience in Alaska, Not Eaten By Polar Bears

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work Environment/People

Pay

Projects given to the interns were meaningful and were likely to be used after the summer ended.

Holding an office-based position doesn't allow for a ton of exercise during the day.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn as much as possible about BP. As an employer, BP is a great choice.

A heat exchanger installed just last year is not functioning properly. Please explain the modes of heat transfer occurring and describe what might be causing the exchanger to malfunction.

Advice to Management

Training for interns would be great upfront, just to get a better idea of the acronyms and data gathering systems would really give our projects a jump-start and interns could excel much more quickly.

Intensive learning in a friendly atmosphere.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Definitely the work culture. Everyone I worked with was eager to meet me and provide me assistance in any way I could. I never really felt like the "intern." I felt like I was part of the company from day one.

It was also very challenging and an amazing learning experience.

From a social perspective, BP also did their very best to provide us with networking opportunities with the interns and fellow workers.

It may sound cliche, but nothing at all. The only thing that bothered me was waking up early to go to work, and even that wasn't bad since I enjoyed going to work.

Come with an OPEN mind! It will be very intimidating at first, but you definitely need to push yourself and use BP's resources to your advantage. The company provides so many services and they will only help you if you choose to use them.

Advice to Management

Do not bring in as many interns if there are not as many open positions for full-time

great compensation for continual learning

Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work life balance. Compensation. Location.

Commute of 30 minutes to/from CHicago

Don't be afraid to teach yourself before you ask the question

"Best Internship Ever"

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The aspect of learning the job with many opportunities to understand the scope of work and how it can impacts the economy of both the company and community.

Not sure, it was amazing.

Look for opportunities in different avenues. Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn.

How does air flow work?

Advice to Management

Not sure. Make a scavenger hunt of questions so potential interns/employees can ask employees who work there certain questions that help them interact with more individuals.

Best way to learn and apply what you learn at school. Awesome experience and a nice insight on how you will enjoy your job once you graduate

Denver, CO | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Valuable Learning and respectfull stress less environment

Short time, I wish it was longer than two months

Be outgoing and eager to ask questions

My internship experience with BP is second to none. Here, safety is priority, team work is outstanding and everyone looks after each other.

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

My presentation and contributions, The Offshore/ field visits, the remuneration package, the politeness and kindness of every staff member, the intern-after-hours social events organized by the USUR Families.

I have not seen any.

My advice to potential interns is to be open minded and follow the BP core values.