Intern at BP National Internship Program? Submit a Review

Not another internship

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

pay, work hours, work/life balance, challenge in work

free housing, stimulating work, open access to company

if you want to be an investment banker with a work/life balance, pick BP

Exciting, challenging, and rewarding experience with BP Reservoir Engineering Team

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone I worked with was always more than willing to put what they were doing on hold and work with me on my project and answer my questions. Very laid back yet productive and friendly atmosphere in which I loved working in. The internship itself was very well structured and I was given a great project to work on, and my project was a real world project not something just pulled off the shelf for an intern to do.

I was put into a role that had no prior experience for even though I did learn how to do my job eventually. I was forced to spend a lot of time getting up to speed rather than working on the project. Seated far away from my team and didn't get to interact with them much.

Work hard, never be afraid to ask questions, and the only thing limiting you at BP is yourself

Given a well diagram with bottom hole and surface equipment pressures and asked "when will well stop flowing on its own?"

Tell me about a time when you showed leadership

Advice to Management

Better incorporation of Interns within teams. (This may be a specific case for me because I was told it was not a widespread issue) the Lunch and Learns were awesome and I greatly enjoyed all of the intern activities.

I discovered knowledge that transcends that which is learned in the classroom and my own leadership skills

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

All the BP interns were treated with respect and help was always readily available

I do not have an answer to this question.

I do not have an answer to this question.

Networking and learning about the business is key; refinery decisions will be made based on my projects

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

*The people are fantastic - nice, friendly, eager to help you succeed

*Opportunities beyond the normal internship are available if you seek them

*My work is going to (within the month) be adopted by the refineries - large, real-world monetary and product quality decision based on my work

*Good office culture (softball team, general friendliness, outings, etc)

*A lot of interns provides a good social climate

*Paid and furnished housing makes long-distance relocation easy

*Located in the suburbs of Chicago, so it's challenging without a car

People within BP move around a lot, staying in the same roles 2-4 years. This is great if you want to do lots of different things or move up, but it's probably not the best business strategy.

Advice to Management

I don't think there should be such strong emphasis on CoOp programs - I think it is really demoralizing to interns, who think they're less likely to get hired than someone who's done five rotations in the company. Additionally, coming from a school ranked probably a hundred places higher than the CoOp schools, I feel as if I had to work a lot harder and prove myself a lot more to get to the same place that they got just by not being bad at their first rotation.

Discovering BP and the energy industry

- own projects

- company culture and support system

- paid apartment and great compensation

- structured internship program

- ability to network with other functions and leaders

- would have liked

BP is really a great place to intern at with many perks. They pay for your apartment, give you excellent compensation, and provide you with challenging projects.

Why do you want to intern in the oil and gas industry?

Great Experience

flexible

self motivated

didnt feel like i had enough time

take every opportuntiy you can

There was a technical one related to materials

Advice to Management

have the supervisors engage more with the interns

Developing engineers for safety, excellence, courage, respect, and One Team

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I worked with were very helpful. They encouraged me to push myself to master new software and technical concepts. The work hours fit my lifestyle. I enjoyed joining the BP soccer team. I liked being able to participate in the benefits program as an intern.

That it had to end. It was great! I would have stayed longer if I could.

BP has an excellent 3-year training program called the challenger program. You have a list of core competencies that the company hopes you master within the course of 3 years. You will have plenty of mentors to help you along the way, both those that have been formally assigned to you and those who you have reached out to. You will have a technical assessor help you measure your progress in the program and help you set new goals to push your professional development to reach new heights.

explain a time when you had to convince others to follow a plan you came up with.

what is the purpose of the fins in a fin and tube heat exchanger?

Explain a time in which you had to be innovative

Advice to Management

I loved being a part of a team of engineers working on the front-end of projects. There were many opportunities to add significant value to the company. I love the opportunities to learn and grow and would recommend continuing the current style of career development for young engineers.

Challenging, Exciting, and Rewarding Experience.

Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

BP covered all of the costs of relocation and housing. They had a really cool three day intern training experience where we learned more about the oil and gas industry and what is BP's long term strategy. Lots of lunch and learns with free lunch! I got to hear from a handful of executives who were offering career advice. All interns presented their summer projects at an event called TechnoFest and there were winners in three categories: Technical Excellence, Business Impact, Safety & Operational Risk.

There was nothing that I did not like.

Learn as much as you can about the energy industry and BP's strategy. Know the business whether you're interning in upstream/downstream.

Tell me about a time you led a team through a difficult transition.

Advice to Management

None.

Exploring mechanical engineering responsibilities in the oil and gas industry

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Was able to go offshore for a total of 12 days, on three seperate trips to get a better understanding of my project and to perform tasks that were valuable to the team. I was given a project that not only would move the team forward but also fine tuned my skills as a young engineer

Nothing comes to mind

You will be doing real engineering work at BP that will help you better understand the oil and gas industry. BP gives interns full-time employee work, not 'busy work'. Very enriching and valuable experience

Bp has two parts to their interview process. Behavioral questions and technical questions. The behavioral are similar to most other companies. But the technical questions are unique in that they evaluate how a candidate thinks through a logic process to achieve a solution.

Advice to Management

Nothing comes to mind

Fully Vested in Intern Growth and Development

Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning, culture, community, benefits and pay

Politics and red tape. Needs WAY more flexibility and better communication between HR, USUR, IST, and other departments

The internship is challenging, but so worth it. It becomes what you make it.

Advice to Management

Needs WAY more flexibility. Too much red tape. Almost patronizing.