BP National Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #4 Best Energy Internships  /  #41 Best Overall Internships

4.4 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 191 Intern Reviews)

The most organized, balanced, well compensated, and the real job experience with project that has real value to the company is priceless.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

1. The real job experience and responsibility: The assigned project that adds value to the company.

2. The Values and Culture: Employees are living up to its core values and the welcoming environment where everyone helps you to be successful speaks volume.

3. Compensation: The pay and benefits are superb!

None – because it surpasses almost every aspect of my internship expectations.

Seize the opportunity - be proactive to learn more! Everyone in the company wants you to succeed.

At BP I learned where I wanted to be.
Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects of my BP internship were: exposure to the working conditions on the North Slope, background on the oil and gas industry, mentoring from successful professionals, support from my project team, and the opportunity to work in the beautiful state of Alaska.

Working with and getting to know all of the very talented interns was difficult knowing not everyone would be getting a job offer.

Aggressively pursue an internship with BP. You will be well paid and work on real projects.

1) Describe an instance in the work place where you were aware of someone doing something wrong or unsafe? How did you respond to it?

2) What components would be necessary in the design of an electrical system for an off shore oil platform in the North Sea?

Advice to Management

Continue to send engaging staff to do college requirement. Five minutes of personal conversation with a BP representative allowed me to open up about my background and experience and not just talk about my engineering program....as a result I will now be working fro BP.

By Far One of the Greatest Summer Internships.
Anchorage, AK | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Overall the location and the work that I was doing were the best aspects of the program. I was actually able to use my schooling to complete my project.

The least enjoyable part was only when the weather was not very condusive to what we were trying to accomplish on the slope.

I think BP is a great internship and would highly recommend it to anyone, but be ready for a challenge as the projects are extremely influencial on day to day operations.

It helped me discovered my optimum work-style!
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The support from team members and other subject experts in other groups was impressive

Working on relatively area was initially challenging, but allowed lots of room for innovation

If you enjoy a multicultural environment and one which gives a fairly flexible work environment, BP is a great place to look!

I was asked to present scenarios where I exhibited the BP core vales- Courage, Respect, Excellence, Safety and Team

Advice to Management

Although training program is short, allowing interns participate in relevant technical training would be good

Fun, good leaning experiance, opportunity to meet new people who bcome my good friends.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Fun, great place to work, live project, great opportunity to know the company culture.

Time was little short for the amount of work, what I would have expected.

Great place to work. Understand the company culture, and find if you like the company good enough to work for. Meet poeple when you are at intrenship.

The best summer I have had yet
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Everyone was very open to getting to know you and my managers assigned me real work that was needed in the business. I was impressed with how much they trusted me to deliver on my assignments and not micromanage the projects. We were also given apartments in downtown Chicago to live in during our summer internships. They were really nice and gave us more opportunities to get to know the other interns at BP outside of the office.

I wished that there were more structured intern events throughout the summer. There were a couple, but I think it would have been a good way to get to know interns that I didn't work with often.

I enjoyed BP as an employer because it gives you a lot of room to create your own career. The full-time program lets you move around to different areas of the business for one year rotations to see what is most interesting to you. Since I am not 100% sure what is the best fit for me, I like that I get to test out different roles to get a better idea of where I should go. If you know exactly what you want to do, I am not sure that I would recommend this program. However, if you are like me and don't have an exact idea of the specific thing you would like to do, then I think this is an unparalleled opportunity.

challenging work with world class people

Environment was flexible

People were willing to help and provide feedback

Very structured environment

They really valued my opinion as an intern

I do not have anything that I did not enjoy during my internship

Be open to learn about different aspects of BP and really reach out to whoever you want. Everyone is welcoming and always makes time to share their experience with you.

Why did you choose engineering as a degree?

A terrific learning experience, a unique opportunity to grow professionally and choose the right career path.
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Infinite learning resources, great expertise of the advisers, comfortable working environment, team-oriented efforts, optimal work/life balance, several social and networking initiatives, excellent pay and benefits

I cannot think of something I did not like or I liked least about the internship

Among the numerous things, BP offers infinite learning resources (i.e. cutting-edge software, highest-quality data, etc), an intensive 3-year training program, a comfortable working environment, an optimal work/life balance, several social and networking initiatives, and an excellent pay and benefits

Learning the Values and Culture of BP
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Company culture, training opportunities, strong values, beautiful campus, competitive compensation

Big company so a little less personable outside of your team, often takes a long time to get something done when other stakeholders involved

Be prepared to work in a team environment, one of the core values is 'One Team' and that is certainly necessary to get things done in this organization. Also I would recommend always being honest and admitting if you don't know the answer to a question, they would rather you have the courage to admit it rather than making stuff up.

BP internship: real work, real impact
Houston, TX | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The corporate culture makes it very easy to work at BP. Also, the projects are challenging and important to the company. Needless to say the pay is great as well.

The internship was very structured, and put too much pressure on the end result verses the journey of getting to that point.

When you intern at BP they really consider you as a full time hire, so I suggest not interning there unless you seriously feel BP could be somewhere you want to work for a career.

Why do you want to work in oil& gas?

Advice to Management

Have a less rigid challenge (development) program. Focus more on the new employees and less on checking the "boxes" the program requires.