Intel Internship Program

Worked on building information modeling team in construction engineering of one of the newest fabrication plants being built.
Phoenix, AZ | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Connecting with other people at the company and learning more about 3D modeling.

The internship was not exactly what I had thought it would be and I didn't really get to do work in an area that I was interested in and going to school for.

Networking is very important.

Advice to Management

It would have been better to work with more interns or RCGs.

how to decide if this will be the chosen field
San Jose, CA | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

working from home

not given enough resources (training programs, office space and supplies), location of my office (i'm located on a floor with a lot of loud people which makes it really hard to focus on what i do)

understand the culture of the company, if possible spend a day to see how your are the daily lives of your future team, such as work hours, where they are based, how they treat others, learn more about the visibility of the project they are working on, and how important that group is to the company as a whole

Advice to Management

training, recognition, work hours, fitness center, housing situation around campus

Boring and depressing. I can't wait to go home, but the money is much better.
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay. And learning something I wanted to learn and getting paid for it.

The corporate culture at Intel is so stifling. It is so bad a doctor I have seen described me as suffering from depression, a condition I never had a problem with before. Nobody wants to talk to me, nobody is welcoming, I have no friends here, and people are stand-offish. My boss is too busy to meet with me, same with my mentor. When I need to meet with people to get my job done, people are too busy to meet and my work gets delayed, sometimes by weeks. I sit in a cube, tearing my hair out trying to solve problems with no help, cooperation, or support.

Demand a well-defined problem to solve. If there is any documentation missing that is required to solve the problem, demand someone prepares it before you arrive, or ask if you are expected to do this yourself.

Advice to Management

I am not a summer intern, but for non-summer interns, the very least you can do is try to get mentors & managers involved with their interns. I feel totally alone with nobody to talk to, yet I'm surrounded by thousands of employees on my campus, hundreds on my floor alone in my cube-farm. I've interned at other companies in the past and had no issues like this before. I seriously take issue with Intel's "Great Place to Work" motto. I can't believe I am having such a terrible experience, and it has painted the company in a terrible light. I have no interest in working here when I finish my Ph.D.

Though I was really excited about the internship, and have no regrets in working for Intel, my experience as a whole was poor.
Other (US) | 2012 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning about how a large business works, work experience, pay, connections I have made.

My manager's overall attitude, the work I was assigned (secretary work, not software engineering), no mentor, not treated as a coworker or employee, some sexist behavior.

Really do some research on your potential future employer if it's Intel. If it seems too good to be true, something might not be quite right. If you are a woman in the science field, make sure you are treated fairly and with respect. Make sure you also receive a mentor/buddy; I never had one and really wish I did.

Advice to Management

Have a tighter grasp on your managers. Often times they have too much control and not enough overhead, and don't follow rules and regulations.