Intel Internship Program

n/a

The flexible hours; the people I worked with; other interns and how much fun they were.

Some of the projects could have been more exciting.

Intel might seem to be an 'older' company, but it really is great for a company in Silicon Valley. There are tons of opportunities here even if you aren't interested in hardware. Their software component is growing and will be more and more important in the future.

Advice to Management

Have a more structured intern program with many more organized events and many more chances for interns to meet each other. One intern (my roommate) ended up organizing most of the events because the actual intern coordinator was based in Oregon. While she was nice, she wasn't really available to schedule things all the time.

Date: 2013

Working experience which aligns with my educational goals.

Everyone here is very approachable and for the most part, easy to talk to. I think communication is one of those important pieces that most people take light of and it really helps to accomplish my work. Also, there is always constant change, which grows to challenge me as an individual.

My learning style preference is to have clear direction in meeting the goals. Sometimes, I do not have that clear direction. However this enables a challenge for me to navigate on my own to figure out how to do things on my own. If I really feel stuck, my manager is helpful in assisting me to bridge my gaps.

Get outside of your comfort zone. While in school, you can go through a rigorous material that is focused in one subject. However, during your internship you will experience how many people from different backgrounds work together to accomplish goals. If your able to step outside your comfort zone and assist where needed, I think it would help to make you stand outside the crowd when your applying for a full-time regular position.

Thermal Engineering Analyst for Tablets and Components

Being exposed to real projects that would be used in the future.

Work was sometime very tedious and sometimes not very hands on.

Network a ton! You'll likely find somewhere else you can work within the company if you don't like your current work.

Networking and experience!

The people I work with are really awesome

Free soda and sitting around made me gain weight! I need to start excersizing.

Just have fun with it!

Advice to Management

The move to agile is like stopping a mile long freight train going 100mph. You have to do it really slow and carefully or it will crash and burn.

Date: 2013

Diverse experience gives a strong foundation for multiple career choices in the future

Pay, as well as the amount of freedom I was given on my projects.

More guidance would have been useful at certain points

Act like an employee, not an intern. The best way to move up is to take on the duties of those above you in this particular company.

Advice to Management

Have a stronger structure of what needs to be done at least on one or two projects so the final results can make your interns feel confident.

Date: 2013

Benchmarking Intel next-gen CPUs to learn about the inner processes of a computer and its architecture

- Being treated like a full time employee and enjoying some full time employee benefits - Working with the latest and greatest Intel hardware - The sheer diversity of work that is done

- The monotony of some of the tasks involved with benchmarking (waiting for computers to boot, running the same tests over and over to get data)

Make sure you are comfortable with command line Linux coming into the internship, and that you have some scripting language knowledge.

Advice to Management

N/A

Learning While Actively Participating in Projects

the work I get to do, intern events, friendliness and approachability of my team and fellow engineers, flexible hours

location - how early everything closes in Folsom, CA

Intel really puts their interns first, trying to make all of us feel welcome and encourage us to want to stay for full time

Advice to Management

more clear on how frequently one-on-ones are supposed to occur

Date: 2013

Working at this company enabled me to work at a higher grade level then I could have ever imagined

Respect of my mentors and peers was the best aspect. So often in school you are treated like dirt. You are herded through undergraduate studies and then you leave college with a large amount of debt and mental anguish. Since in this internship my opinion matters and my thoughts actually impacted development it taught me to choose my words carefully and contribute precisely whereas school teaches you to scream as loud as you can until someone is annoyed enough to listen.

Everything is fantastic. Learning the culture was difficult at first but after six months you understand it fairly well.

If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding internship I highly recommend Intel Corporation. We do everything from microprocessors to autonomous vehicle research.

Advice to Management

Compensation was low for the level of responsibility I was operating at. My peers say I "Run programs like an E5 engineer" if this is true I should be compensated for this level of responsibility. There are no performance evaluations and no focals. So we never get feedback on long term internships like mine (3 years.)

Date: 2013

Intel Intern helps save the company millions of dollars!

Technical trainer/help- I was given a buddy and a technical trainer at the beginning of my internship and they never were too busy to meet with me. always willing to help and were great people to work with. I admire all that they do for the company and their families. Group- I loved my group. We did things outside of work together and had a lot of fun. I never felt put down or inferior even as an intern. Real-life experience- I actually felt like what I was doing was important and I got a good sense of how work really is. I'm a student so it was nice to see corporation life. Networking

I didn't like that I was mobile. I didn't have my own desk to leave stuff at but I was given a locker and an area to work at. Althought I worked there every day, it technically wans't mine and I had to clean it off every day. I carried my laptop and cord everywhere instead of just leaving all my cords there. It was nice to have a locker but I would have prefered to have a desk.

FANTASTIC company to work for. You set your own schedule and take on what you can. Great people and flexibility. Always changing- never a dull moment.

Advice to Management

Get rid of smoke shacks around RA

Date: 2013

The opportunity to leave an impact on the future of computers by developing the technology of tomorrow.

I was given a high degree of autonomy within this internship, and was encouraged to come up with my own ideas and projects to contribute to the company.

In this internship I took on all that I possibly could. In doing so I made my internship higher stress than is required for a high productivity work environment.

If you are planning on interning at Intel I would highly recommend opting for a longer internship. My internship was six months in duration, and I felt like the first half was far less productive as I was coming up to speed on the work environment and team expectations. In the second half of this internship I felt much more confident so I was far more successful at getting projects done.

Advice to Management

Intel is working very hard to make its inherently stressful environment more of a fun place to work. The Great Place to Work program is doing a good job of making this a positive work space.