Intel Internship Program

Great to gain technical know-how, work with smart people, make some money while doing these things.
Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Learning, meeting and networking with competent engineers in my area of work.

Can potentially delay your graduation from school.

Excellent benefit program, mindful of the best interests of the employee, great place to work, and really smart co-workers.

Advice to Management

You are already doing a good job. Continue doing the same.

Good friends, great money, actual work, and flexibility
Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Being treated as a valued contributor rather than as a know-nothing student. My input is appreciated here, and that really resonated with me.

Unlike other big names in tech companies, Intel puts less emphasis on small perks like free cafeteria lunches (which would've been great, because the Intel Café has good food).

Ownership is key. Everything at Intel comes down to project ownership. If you own your projects, and are willing to treat them like the most important things happening in your work-life, you can expect to be successful. Care about the things that are assigned to you in the same way that Noyce and Moore cared about Intel when it got started.

Advice to Management

New Employee Orientation needs some kind of overhaul. That was a 7 hour meeting jam-packed with just about 2 hours worth of agenda items. I think it'd be nice if NEO were either shortened due to lack of content, or filled with more valuable information.

I learned how to effectively manage a factory.
Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was given a lot of reponsibility and had actual control of the factory. I like the management aspect as well as the technical side of the job. I was able to work on my decision making skills and improve my verbal communication during this internship.

I had to work a weird shift to match the operators and technicians in the factory.

Intel is a great company and I feel they put their interns in a position to expand their knowledge as well as letting them contribute to something that matters within the company.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of anything. I was in management so I recieved a unique experience on my internship.

Diverse experience gives a strong foundation for multiple career choices in the future
Portland, OR | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Pay, as well as the amount of freedom I was given on my projects.

More guidance would have been useful at certain points

Act like an employee, not an intern. The best way to move up is to take on the duties of those above you in this particular company.

Advice to Management

Have a stronger structure of what needs to be done at least on one or two projects so the final results can make your interns feel confident.

Wow! Working Here Is Awesome!
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working at Intel was very low-stress. You are given assignments and expected to complete them, but (at least in the case of interns) the work is very manageable, and you can rely on members of your team to be professional and help you if needed.

My manager and other members of my team held regular meetings for a long time that I wasn't invited to. I think a great internship experience is rooted in transparency and all-inclusiveness. I had to assert many times that I wanted to be included in these meetings before I started to be invited.

This is your opportunity to move your career along, gain real-world experience, make new friends and have a lot of fun doing it. Just grab the opportunities presented to you by the horns and give 110% effort. You get out what you put in. Also, go to all of the meetings and as many events as possible.

Advice to Management

A lot of the events that Intel held were during regular business hours. If you're an undergrad intern, you're paid an hourly wage, so you have to constantly check with your manager whether you can count the hours of an event towards your weekly hours or not. More often than not, this results in having to put in 4-5 hours overtime at odd hours of the day. I would advise management to just be open with your interns, and give them free reign to choose whether the hours they spent at an event should count towards their weekly hours, like an honor system. If anything, this can provide character building, and does more good than bad.

Also, invite your interns to all meetings!! Transparency!!

One of the best experience, Dream come true!
Sacramento, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working on the on-going projects and quality of work. Not side-lined with some irrelevant work as an Intern.

Compensation and bonuses.

The company does some of the best work in the world. They are the pioneers and excellent work environment.

Development and Debugging

Development

Debugging.

Your biggest problem will be making your code work with the system

Advice to Management

make set up go faster.

Networking and experience!
Sacramento, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people I work with are really awesome

Free soda and sitting around made me gain weight! I need to start excersizing.

Just have fun with it!

Advice to Management

The move to agile is like stopping a mile long freight train going 100mph. You have to do it really slow and carefully or it will crash and burn.

Learning While Actively Participating in Projects
Sacramento, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the work I get to do, intern events, friendliness and approachability of my team and fellow engineers, flexible hours

location - how early everything closes in Folsom, CA

Intel really puts their interns first, trying to make all of us feel welcome and encourage us to want to stay for full time

Advice to Management

more clear on how frequently one-on-ones are supposed to occur

Intel is a great and challenging place to work. I have learned lots and am enjoying my job.
Other (US) | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Awesome team, flexible hours, managers that our responsive to my interests, and great opportunities to learn.

Not as people oriented as I would prefer. It is more difficult than expected to get a full time job.

Keep up to date on what the company your applying for is working on. Display your strengths that are applicable to the job you want. Be very willing to learn and express that.

Advice to Management

Be willing to teach your interns. Do not hire them for a permanent position unless you plan on bringing them on full time. Don't have us train our replacements.