Intern at West Monroe Partners Consulting Internship? Submit a Review

Intern given substantial responsibility and the support needed to succeed

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

People - the people that worked with are ones that I want to maintain relationships with long after West Monroe, they were very welcoming and supportive,

Work - the work I was doing was challenging and fulfilling. I enjoyed knowing I was making a difference to my client everyday.

Trust - The trust that my team had in me as an intern was so strong that it was really motivated me to do my best and reach their expectations.

Responsibility - I was given more responsibility than I believe I would have been given anywhere else. Having ownership of my work made me feel even more accountable and like a part of the team.

Guidance - Although I seemed to hit the ground running with my work, those around me were always there to offer support when I needed it.

Mentors - West Monroe employees at every level were more than willing to meet with me to teach me about their career goals and share their knowledge.

Culture - The West Monroe culture would be hard to duplicate. Everyone there provides a unique aspect of the culture and values the diverse strengths one another has to offer.

Leadership - The leaders of West Monroe have it right. They know how to connect with the people of West Monroe and were very interested in the interns as a class and as individuals.

It is hard for me to think of any cons of the program. If I had to note my least favorite part, it would be something common to the consulting industry, such as being away from my intern class four days per week because of travel to the client site. However, I was very grateful to travel and found time on Fridays and over the weekend to build relationships with those in my internship class.

West Monroe is a great firm to begin a career because you will be surrounded by several ambitious consultants that are inspired by one another to provide their clients with the best work in the industry.

First, Work Hard. Then, Play.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

exposure to the business and ability to work on real projects

I didn't like being at the client site 5 days a week

Be professional and outgoing.

Learn quickly, travel the world, explore areas you normally wouldn't, grow your personal value and enjoy life as you're doing it!

Traveling, people, experience

At first it was a little slow because the team didn't know what I wanted to do or my strengths so I asked for oppurtintues and was able to shine

Be ready to move quickly and learn even faster

360 View of what a well ran consulting organization is all about

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I started doing value added work right away. I was in meetings with the client and had the ability to interact with the client on a daily basis. I got to travel four days a week for six weeks.

Didn't get to meet as many people as i wanted to in the office because I traveled so much

Expect to be thrown into the fire with some assignments and be able to adapt and work quickly. Consulting is a sink or swim industry and you rarely ever work only 40 hours in a week

I was asked what i would suggest to a travel agency start up that was looking to design a website and how they could differentiate themselves from the big players in the industry.

Advice to Management

Better benefits/compensation. A couple people left WMP to go to larger companies that paid more.

The Life As a Consultant

-Having a Career Advisor and Coach, so 2 personal mentors assigned to everyone

-Flexibility on Fridays to network and pick brains of Directors/consultants

-Plenty of company social opportunities

-Ability to hold responsibility at a client site

-Little more technological then I anticipated

Go out of your way to schedule time to meet 1 on 1 with people within the firm and pick their brains. It allows you to meet them and also gain some knowledge.

Case (in a simplified format): A warehouse is looking to expand and they've expanded before. What steps can they take to maximize potential?

Passionate Curiosity Enriched Through Internship Experience and West Monroe Partners

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The autonomy of the internship. You were able to choose to engage in other projects outside of the client work.

Not able to spend as much time with the other interns due to the nature of the travel

There is a huge opportunity for career growth at this firm. WMP is growing so much, there is an amazing correlation between talent and process. Everything is being defined in a big way right now for the company.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful for new hires to have a grad school support program.

Traveling to the client site.

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to work at the client site.

Meeting new people.

Growing my network.

We worked 16-18 hours some days.

West Monroe Partners is a great place to work and if you are offered a internship, take it.

Advice to Management

It is a great place to work. Cant think of anything,

An honest representation of real-world consulting with a lot of fun mixed in

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to make what you wanted out of it but a good offering of organized events that provided opportunity to network and bond with other interns and other employees.

Lack of exposure to other solution lines throughout the firm. A crash course in everything would have been a nice add to the training.

This internship offers a very real portrayal of what work as a full-time consultant will be. You have to take ownership in order to advance at this company otherwise you'll get left behind. It is definitely fast paced and you can gain a lot of exposure into a variety of industries and solution areas.

CRM implementation case

ERP implementation case

Typical behavioral interview questions

Advice to Management

The initial training for full-time hires could be improved to give a better understanding of the entire organization.

Accessibility and Leadership Opportunity

Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to take initiative and ask for more leadership roles.

Accessibility of senior employees.

Being staffed on a project right away as an intern.

They didn't give suggestions for living arrangements.

Set up as many meetings as possible with Directors when you are in the Chicago office.

Simple case tailored to the department you're interviewing for, they are very relaxed and want you to provide a written summary of the case afterwards.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the same thing you've been doing!

Challenging and engaging work alongside Industry experts.

People

Work

Culture

Location

I did not like that it was temporary.

I strongly advise you to seek an opportunity with this fast growing and engaging team.