West Monroe Partners Consulting Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #8 Best Consulting Internships  /  #18 Best Overall Internships

Real world experience.

exposure, a good combination of learning and doing, making a difference, intern events.

nothing that i cant think of

give off the work hard play hard attitude

Advice to Management

nothing

Date: 2013

Real work, real clients, real fun.

Had a ton of exposure to clients (even C-level), was able to take on additional responsibility, very real-life work at the same level which I was exposed to after returning

It's hard to remember anything negative about my internship experience

Pursuing an internship is the best way that you can try out WMP and consulting in general. it's really difficult to know what consulting is, and personal experience will help you understand if you like/fit in with WMP's very specific and special culture.

Date: 2013

An Internship where anyone is willing to not only talk to you, but also listen to you too.

I felt valuable both with the work I did and in the social aspect of the company.

I shadowed a consultant longer than I wanted.

The main product WMP produces is its people and it shows. These are smart people who are willing to share their knowledge and maybe more importantly they are people who are enjoyable to work with day in and day out.

Date: 2013

Great experience where you are challenged daily to learn a lot and grow.

Direct client contact Full resposabilities as a consultant

A lot more activities could have been organized to get to know the other interns.

A great firm where you will be challenged on day one and where you will learn a lot and grow in your career.

Date: 2013

Exciting fast-paced environment with great people and a lot of fun

Being able to travel to clients. Very autonomous work with no micromanagement. Awesome social scene.

Really, not much. It was a great summer

If you like having fun with the people you work with then this is the place

Date: 2013

The internship with WMP gave me the necessary skills to drive early success in my career once I came on full-time.

Work, client interaction, respect, pay, intern events, summer in Chicago

Nothing

Expect to be thrown right into the mix with just enough direction. Don't expect to be spoon-fed anything.

Advice to Management

Although one of our core values is to hire the "Best and Brightest," our current compensation does not reflect that. We lose top technical talent to industry and even other consulting companies because we do not pay top dollar. HR even says that they conduct market research to support the current compensation levels, but they are clearly looking in the wrong places; line consultants have the best feel of the market price for their talent and they all know they are underpaid at WMP. Promotion policies try to be objective by enforcing a 1-5 rating scale for projects and yearly goals but these end up being somewhat subjective based on the reviewer. If the raw scores weigh heavily on promotion, this needs to be addressed. If they don't, that needs to be communicated.

Great people, Great Work, Fun

The amount of responsibility and trust placed in me when I hadn't even graduated school yet or had any prior professional experience. I learned incredibly fast and was placed on real client projects in my first week.

Honestly can't think of any.

Be flexible. Be willing to do any project and any work. Get as much experience and diverse experiences as possible. Soak everything in.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Date: 2013

The responsibilities given to me and the willingness of others to teach & mentor me made this one of the best experiences of my life.

Interns are given the same responsibilities and workload as full-time employees. Culture is inclusive and supportive--employees are genuinely interested in teaching and mentoring others. Culture feels very lateral; it is extremely easy to talk to anyone in the organization include the CEO, President, and Practice Directors. Everyone cares about preserving the culture and making it a fun place to work.

Intern class may not be very tightly knit because of varying traveling schedules.

If you're looking for an environment that will throw you in the deep end to accelerate your learning, this is the internship you want.