West Monroe Partners Consulting Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #8 Best Consulting Internships  /  #18 Best Overall Internships

Great internship, lots of hours, lots of work, fun

Fun experience

Hours were decent, but a lot more is expected if you go full-time. Not enough internal/external support on solo-projects - out there expectations occasionally

It's a great experience. Network, and work hard.

Sustainability Fellow Manages Successful Project
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Good learning opportunity, given room to take ownership of a project

Some internship team activities distracted from project work / career growth

Take advantage of the opportunity, seek out responsibilities

Advice to Management

Give the interns opportunity to try new things and grow themselves and the company's service offerings

Rewarding and successful consulting experience with alot of exsposure to the real world.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work that I performed was done directly for a client, and was utilized.

At this time I can't say that I disliked anything.

Must be motivated and willing to learn.

Advice to Management

At this time I don't believe that I disliked any aspects of West Monroe Partners.

West Monroe Partners - The Full Consulting Experience in 12 Weeks!
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

coaching and mentorship, exposure to business development, professional development, and exposure to working with directors

i was unable to travel, and was frustrated by the lower skill level of other interns.

You do work expected of full time employees, and are never 'the intern.' They are also very encouraging of meeting as many people as possible and looking at other groups in the firm.

Advice to Management

A housing stipend could have improved living in Chicago. I was also upset that offers were not extended in August, and the amount of miscommunication surrounding the process.

Summer of being immersed in a helpful and supportive culture
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people who I met were very eager to get to know me

There were slow periods during which little work was needed to be done

Make sure that you have a good understanding of what you will be doing before coming in

Advice to Management

Not all interns will have the same experience. I would try my best though to make sure each intern has challenging work that is not exposed to the risk of being removed from the scope

A great opportunity to do meaningful work with a company I've come to love
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt like I actually contributed meaningful work and effort to the client projects I was on

I honestly can't remember (it was 6 years ago)

We treat our interns like full-time employees - we set expectations and goals, give them real client work, and evaluate their performance just as we do full-time people - it gives them an as "accurate as possible" taste of what it's like to be a consultant. I think this ultimately allows them to decide if 1) consulting is right for them (it's not for everyone) 2) if WMP is right for them 3) if they are right for WMP.

Advice to Management

I actually have critique here for the current intern class (not my own) - if the interns can be client facing, let them focus on that - I know all of the interns were involved in an internal initiative with regards to the Innovation Network, but I found that it was taking away from the opportunities that the current interns had to be client facing (an intern I worked with at ComEd)

3-Month Trial Run for Full-Time Employment
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

You are treated the same as a full-time hire, getting opportunities and exporsure to many different things. In addition, the support structure put in place is wonderful.

The compensation, specifcally housing. I would have liked to stay close to the office, but there was no subsidy for housing, so I had to stay further from the office, reducing my opportunities to spend more time with my co-workers.

In the consulting world, much of the success that you have comes down to the experience and people you are exposed to. Make sure that you think "can I work with this person for 12 - 15 hours a day" as you interview with them, because you will spend more time with these people than your own families.

Get real and great experience as if you were a new hire, not an intern.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were being staffed on a client facing project, getting involved with committee work outside of client work and meeting so many smart and great people.

I wish I could have started earlier and bonded more with our entire internship class.

Do a lot of learning outside of the work day to keep up and impress your project team. Always try doing everything you're assigned and ask for help after exhausting all resources. You will learn a tremendous amount while working here and make great relationships.

Advice to Management

I wish we got to do a mini consulting 101 training as interns. Also, it would have been nice to know if we were receiving a full time offer before leaving.

Jumped headfirst into consulting. The experience/difficulty varies based on the projects you get.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Feeling productive/necessary. I've heard some horror stories about internships that involve a great deal of busy work / shadowing.

Business Casual.

A solid opportunity for a CS major who wants to be more than a developer.

WMP offered great opportunities for learning and project ownership in a fun, engaging environment.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with fellow interns, playing such a large role in completing projects.

No big complaints

Be conscious that the consultants here specialize within their own practice area, meaning that they are not generalists, as often happens within other consulting firms.