West Monroe Partners Consulting Internship

VAULT RANKINGS >> #8 Best Consulting Internships  /  #18 Best Overall Internships

Great people, Great Work, Fun
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The amount of responsibility and trust placed in me when I hadn't even graduated school yet or had any prior professional experience. I learned incredibly fast and was placed on real client projects in my first week.

Honestly can't think of any.

Be flexible. Be willing to do any project and any work. Get as much experience and diverse experiences as possible. Soak everything in.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

A great opportunity to do meaningful work with a company I've come to love
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

I felt like I actually contributed meaningful work and effort to the client projects I was on

I honestly can't remember (it was 6 years ago)

We treat our interns like full-time employees - we set expectations and goals, give them real client work, and evaluate their performance just as we do full-time people - it gives them an as "accurate as possible" taste of what it's like to be a consultant. I think this ultimately allows them to decide if 1) consulting is right for them (it's not for everyone) 2) if WMP is right for them 3) if they are right for WMP.

Advice to Management

I actually have critique here for the current intern class (not my own) - if the interns can be client facing, let them focus on that - I know all of the interns were involved in an internal initiative with regards to the Innovation Network, but I found that it was taking away from the opportunities that the current interns had to be client facing (an intern I worked with at ComEd)

The internship with WMP gave me the necessary skills to drive early success in my career once I came on full-time.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Work, client interaction, respect, pay, intern events, summer in Chicago

Nothing

Expect to be thrown right into the mix with just enough direction. Don't expect to be spoon-fed anything.

Advice to Management

Although one of our core values is to hire the "Best and Brightest," our current compensation does not reflect that. We lose top technical talent to industry and even other consulting companies because we do not pay top dollar. HR even says that they conduct market research to support the current compensation levels, but they are clearly looking in the wrong places; line consultants have the best feel of the market price for their talent and they all know they are underpaid at WMP.

Promotion policies try to be objective by enforcing a 1-5 rating scale for projects and yearly goals but these end up being somewhat subjective based on the reviewer. If the raw scores weigh heavily on promotion, this needs to be addressed. If they don't, that needs to be communicated.

3-Month Trial Run for Full-Time Employment
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

You are treated the same as a full-time hire, getting opportunities and exporsure to many different things. In addition, the support structure put in place is wonderful.

The compensation, specifcally housing. I would have liked to stay close to the office, but there was no subsidy for housing, so I had to stay further from the office, reducing my opportunities to spend more time with my co-workers.

In the consulting world, much of the success that you have comes down to the experience and people you are exposed to. Make sure that you think "can I work with this person for 12 - 15 hours a day" as you interview with them, because you will spend more time with these people than your own families.

The responsibilities given to me and the willingness of others to teach & mentor me made this one of the best experiences of my life.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interns are given the same responsibilities and workload as full-time employees.

Culture is inclusive and supportive--employees are genuinely interested in teaching and mentoring others.

Culture feels very lateral; it is extremely easy to talk to anyone in the organization include the CEO, President, and Practice Directors.

Everyone cares about preserving the culture and making it a fun place to work.

Intern class may not be very tightly knit because of varying traveling schedules.

If you're looking for an environment that will throw you in the deep end to accelerate your learning, this is the internship you want.

Get real and great experience as if you were a new hire, not an intern.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The best aspects were being staffed on a client facing project, getting involved with committee work outside of client work and meeting so many smart and great people.

I wish I could have started earlier and bonded more with our entire internship class.

Do a lot of learning outside of the work day to keep up and impress your project team. Always try doing everything you're assigned and ask for help after exhausting all resources. You will learn a tremendous amount while working here and make great relationships.

Advice to Management

I wish we got to do a mini consulting 101 training as interns. Also, it would have been nice to know if we were receiving a full time offer before leaving.

Jumped headfirst into consulting. The experience/difficulty varies based on the projects you get.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Feeling productive/necessary. I've heard some horror stories about internships that involve a great deal of busy work / shadowing.

Business Casual.

A solid opportunity for a CS major who wants to be more than a developer.

WMP offered great opportunities for learning and project ownership in a fun, engaging environment.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Interacting with fellow interns, playing such a large role in completing projects.

No big complaints

Be conscious that the consultants here specialize within their own practice area, meaning that they are not generalists, as often happens within other consulting firms.

Doing the work we love, with the people we love
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The compensation was really nice, but also the oppurtunities to actually do meaningful work. The things I was working on were items that a full time employee would be staffed to do as well.

The projects I was on were very demanding and I had to travel to client offices a lot of the time. This meant I had to miss several of the intern events that the company holds.

Ask lots of questions. You can never ask too many, and if the company says you are asking too many then you don't want to work there.

A chance to increase your technological and soft skills while in immersed in a striving culture
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Networking with my team and co-workers, gaining knowledge about new software platforms and languages

I wish that I would have had the opportunity to work on multiple kinds of projects

Give 110% effort everyday and pick just 1 to 2 areas better your resume/skills.

Advice to Management

I honestly cannot think of something that would make this organization better.