The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Date: 2013

Experienced outstanding dedication to developing, challenging, and supporting the individual, a real community

Office mates and friends, hanging out on the weekends, Starwood points and flying business class

It can be challenging to adjust to the time management - you manage your own hours which can be long, but are much better when managed well and balanced against sleep, etc.

If you care about integrity, creativity and critically thinking about how to deliver value for a client, BCG is a good fit work-wise. If you like being around sociable, friendly, extremely smart people who are absolutely dedicated to sharing their experiences, BCG is a good fit people-wise.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have more senior women role models

Date: 2013

Amazing people; impactful work; excellent opportunities and growth

1. Quality of the people in the firm and the support they give interns 2. Development opportunities 3. Perks / benefits

It being client services

Try to get a sense for the firm and office culture

Brilliant colleagues, balanced lifestyle

Helpful and collaborative colleagues, wealth of support and enrichment opportunities

Irregularity of working hours

Think different

Date: 2013

The juice was worth the squeeze: BCG is as good as advertised.

Varied work experience, good exposure to an actual case and responsbilities, ample opportunities to determine fit with the office

Some content of the in-office portion of training during orientation could have been more effectively delivered in pre-read slides.

Take a large sample and determine if you are a true fit with the people of the organization, not just the brand prestige.

Date: 2013

A rewarding and stretching learning experience

Steep learning curve. Expected to do real work.

Nothing negative to say. I've really enjoyed my time. Honest truth.

Can't think of anything I'd rather do out of undergrad.

Date: 2013

When everyone in the office including the partners say they're jealous of the interns, pay attention.

Summer Intern Events (happy hours, summer architectural boat tour, Second City, Partner Intern Dinner, Cubs Game, BBQ, etc.), Passport lunches (free lunches where you can take a partner or principle out to lunch), Office retreat to Mackinac Island in Lake Michigan, sponsored significant other visit during the summer, ability to take ownership on a module, ideas treated with respect and interest even though you are young, interesting intelligent and down-to-earth people surrounding you

Sometimes it is intimidating being surrounded by very competent, fast, and intelligent people on your case team who seem to know exactly what they are doing, where you find yourself struggling to keep up when usually things come easy. I feel very intellectually challenged, but I think that is a good thing too.

This job is both intellectually challenging, yet they really care about their people and try to make the job as sustainable as possible. They realize that getting the internship is very challenging and that gives you street cred as you walk in the door.

Advice to Management

N/A

Providing impact even during short 10 week internship

the case team, the people, engagement with partners

I didn't get to travel

the case interview is very similar to the actual job

Date: 2013

Great introduction into consulting.

Working with other smart, talented, and nice people.

The hours can be long sometimes.

Ask for feedback from your supervisor.

Date: 2013

Impactful experience at the highest levels of business while being surrounded by very intelligent people.

The particular office/system I was a part of had very friendly, personable, and intelligent people. The consultants on my particular team were very helpful and incredibly good at their job, which allowed me to learn from them. The problems we were solving were interesting and at the top of the senior management's agenda. The clients we were working with and presenting to were at the highest levels of major companies. The level of responsibility given to interns was substantial and allowed for a great learning curve. The resources were provided to us (feedback, training, knowledge teams) to help us succeed in the internship.

Anything here would be nitpicky, the internship is the best you can get in my opinion if you are interested in consulting, or business in general.

Work hard during the interview process to get the job - It is well worth it in the end. However, make sure you are truly passionate about consulting and the work consultants do, otherwise you may balk when hours get long.

Date: 2013

The perfect transition from education to professional growth

The people, the content, the skills, the responsibility, the training, the support, the perks, the work/life balance, the respect, the other interns, the travel, the location, the feedback

Nothing specific comes to mind!

Ask lots of questions, speak up, listen well, stay calm and in control, be humble, ask for help, this is the best place to grow and accelerate your career

Advice to Management

No specific advice comes to mind