The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

Challenging work with dedicated team, realistic of the life of full-time consultants
Other (US) | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

People, colocating with team, office dynamic

Senior team was not always present / available - nature of their jobs

Get to know the people and learn through them what works best at the firm - you will feel the chemistry if it is the right fit.

A great learning opportunity to experience what consulting really is, in a great firm
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Impressive access to high level management problems. Great coaching and support to help me succeed in my internship. Many opportunities to know the firm better.

The ownership I had of the problems was limited (probably because I was an intern).

It is important to take profit of the opportunities during the internship. This means working hard to get a full time offer, but also getting to know people, talk about their areas of expertise, and understanding what you like most and where you could fit. BCG offers great opportunities to do that during the internship.

What do you think that are the key drivers in the price of this product? What would be the key criteria for consumers before purchase?

What are your ideas to reduce costs in this scenario?

Advice to Management

Consulting is a hard job that requires long hours. BCG has a program called PTO that helps to make it sustainable. It makes an effort to give people flexibility: that way, the amount of hours would still be high, but people would be able to organize themselves better. My advice is to foster PTO even more and apply it uniformly in the different projects.

Fast paced, employee focused culture with real data analysis
Philadelphia, PA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great team, very smart people, fast paced, exciting to travel, interesting work

Repetitive - lot of powerpoint/excel/other programs. May feel too on rails for the more creative.

If you're good with a little more structure, appreciate a place where they do take care of their people, then BCG is great

Typical case interviews

Great people, interesting work, valuable exposure to client's and BCG's businesses
Seattle, WA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Quickly seeing how high performing teams function and being integrated into the workflow.

At times my experience was a bit isolated.

Very smart and nice people employed by a company that has their best interests in mind.

See 'BCG Case Interview' questions

Advice to Management

PTO will be an important consideration in my decision whether or not to accept my full-time offer to BCG; I felt lucky to have exposure to two case teams that leveraged this program and I think it is important that all summer interns are able to experience the same.

Pushing your mind where you never thought it could go to solve huge problems (with a great group of people).
Boston, MA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The project, the opportunity to stretch my mind, the people I got to work with every day, the opportunity to tackle big problems no-one has solved before.

I would have liked more opportunities to meet with the other interns.

Throw yourself in 100%. The more you engage in the internship the more you will get out of it. If you want to push your mind right to its limit and then take another step beyond that, this is the job for you.

A large producer of fertilizer has been losing money because of a new GMO that doesn't require fertilization. What do you do?

Advice to Management

I think it would be great to give the interns more opportunities to interact with each other. Increased flexibility on location/mobility (particularly as the economy continues to move towards a geographically dispersed workforce).

Phenomenal consulting summer experience
New York, NY | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people and the company culture.

I loved the people and the company culture.

Have a positive attitude.

Great experience leads to full time offer
Chicago, IL | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

I was paired with a very good team for the summer. My PL was a great guy who is not only extremely smart but also cared about making sure I had a good summer. The other consultants I worked with were great as well. The work itself was interesting. I got paired with a partner sponsor for the summer; we checked in with each other fairly regularly and he was there to help make sure I was getting what I wanted out of the internship as well. Plus, there were a ton of really fun intern events (almost one per week), which were followed by bottle service at the club about 60% of the time.

I actually had fairly reasonable hours (~55/week) but if you're going to go into consulting, you just have to be aware that it can get a lot worse than that. After about 65 hours/week, I start to feel unbalanced and stop enjoying my work as much. Work at BCG, as in any consulting firm, has the potential to be like that. BCG has implemented PTO (google it) to help ensure life as a consultant is sustainable.

Meet as many people as you can from each consulting firm you're considering. BCG, Bain, and McKinsey do have different cultures, and it's important to find which one(s) you vibe with best. The work is fairly similar between MBB, so is the pay, and so are the exit opportunities. The cultures are different, so pay attention to that.

Amazing experience, but be prepared to work hard!
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great people, great perks, and great investment in all the interns.

Long hours.

Best company. Don't think too much, just apply!

10 week crash course on analysis and presence. Realistic window into life of FT consultant
Washington, DC | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Compensation, program structure, people

Less opportunity to interact with home office, given 4 day a week travel schedule

Good way to find out if you'd like the consultant life style

Diverse experience with dedicated development
San Francisco, CA | 2014 | VERIFIED INTERN

Hands on experience, coaching

Work hours

Understand that you're getting into a competitive job with high expectations. It's tough, but very rewarding. If you're up for the challenge of continuously being developed in an honest way - then go for it! Feedback is big at BCG, and you need to be humble enough to accept it, while confident and dedicated enough to see the feedback through.

Tell me about a time when X happened (behavioral) and case interviews

Advice to Management

Better work-life balance, higher compensation, more PTO