The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

4.6 of 5 stars Average Intern Rating (of 182 Intern Reviews)

Student with little business experience learns a lot
Houston, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

On the job experience

Realistically, it's tough to become an equal member of a team as a temprorary intern

It's hard work, but they truly respect you as a person

Learned a lot, helped a client, and did it all working with a team of incredible people
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Steep learning curve, constant feedback and development opportunities, really great case team with people that not only wanted to help me but valued the experience I brought to the table.

Unfortunately with consulting, each case is different, so the downside is that you are making a full time decision based on just one small experience.

Make sure you spend time getting to know the personalities of the different offices. I spent a lot of time talking with consultants in the cities that I was considering moving to, and so I made a really informed decision and picked an office that I fit in well with culturally. I think many people assume all offices within a firm are the same, which is definitely not true, and cultural fit is really important if you're going to be spending so much time with them.

Advice to Management

I think the company could benefit from having trainings on giving cross-cultural reviews. Business Schools are becoming increasingly more international and because of that, intern classes are becoming more international. I found that some bosses assumed familiarity with American working norms, and training on expectations could have created earlier opportunities to level-set on expectations.

Fun, Social, Intelligent People Solving High-Level Fortune 100 Company Problems

Career Opportunities

Unbelievable Learning Experience

Unpredictable client interactions

Unpredictability in general

Hard interview process, but once summer internship experience is the unrivaled--exceeded my expectations by 10X

BCG delivers on recruiting promises
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

high-impact work, exposure to very senior partners/clients, impressive coworkers

nothing comes to mind

BCG has a more appealing culture than its competitor.

BCG's Internship Program: A Chance to Grow Immensely in a Supportive, Fast-Paced Environment, All While Helping Drive Tremendous Value
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ability to actually work on complex client issues, such as airline pricing, and constant in-depth feedback on everything from soft skills and teamwork style to analytical capabilities and client interaction. There were tons of internship events on the weekend to help bring the intern class together as well as let us bond with the rest of the office. Also, the amount of training given to us in the short period was huge.

The relatively short length of the internship, being only 10 weeks, by about the time you feel like you've gotten up to speed, it's already over.

If you are serious about learning about management consulting and you'd like to work for one of if not the best in the business, then try to secure this internship. I will caution that you should be prepared for 60+ hour weeks like in any management consulting job though.

Wonderful experience with amazing people who care a great deal about people development
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

- Chance to work with really smart people

- Interest BCG takes in your development (formal training, formal / informal mentoring and feedback, opportunities to do REAL work, etc.)

- Awesome sponsored events

- Great office culture

- Work can be cyclical--go from 0 to 60 really fast, and then back down, but that's not necessarily a negative as it just means thigns are changing all the time

Everyone is super nice, welcoming, and helpful. You learn a TON. The office culture is fantastic--at least half of all cases are local, everyone is very accommadating and cognizant of different work schedules/other committments, face time is not required--just have to get your work done.

Perfect case experience, team and office culture. I couldn't have asked for a better summer experience.
Dallas, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work is interesting and challenging. The internship class is diverse and bonded quickly. There were a lot of fun events throughout the summer.

There was nothing that I didn't like.

Make sure to engage with on-campus representatives early in the process. While breadth is important, get to know a couple people really well.

Amazing experience and learning opportunity
Philadelphia, PA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Colleagues and team members

Importance of projects

Fun events and investment in your learning

Occasionally long hours

Occasionally tight deadlines (high stress)

Evaluate if you fit with the people and the culture. They are what make the organization such a great place to work.

Challenging and rewarding, with incredible responsibilities and opportunities from day one.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Getting to really dig into what consulting is like on a day-to-day basis

The specific project that I was working on

BCG is an incredibly well-run organization: everything from training to feedback to work environment is extremely polished. I have yet to work in an environment as impressive as this one.

On your mark, get set....Go!
Dallas, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, stimulating projects, full-time responsibilities, predictable time off (PTO), team and company events

Long hours and sometimes relentless pace

The opportunities for personal development are great. The number of hours can be high.

Advice to Management

Manage expectations of long hours up front.