The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

Action packed learning with very smart people
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the people, and the client and the resources for learning

nothing, I think the internship program is very good

nothing to share at this time

Advice to Management

NA

High impact introduction to management consulting
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Direct client interactions. Visible client impact. High intensity and rigorous and energizing work environment.

Occasionally nebulous direction from team.

Highly thought driven atmosphere that demands constant attention to detail and accuracy. Environment will push you to think about questions analytically and logically and will develop your problem solving skills immensely. Must be able to work on very ambiguous problems to be successful.

Amazing opportunity to be a part of BCG, get to know the firm, and have real responsibilities and impact at the client.

1. Large intern class allowed for many insights into the firm & work

2. Very structured program- great balance of social activities, firm knowledge sessions, and work

1. some interns were on projects they didn't love, but that is the case at any consulting firm.

Talk to the people. If you like interacting with BCG people, you'll love it here. BCG doesn't put up a false front when recruiting, so take note of what they are saying!

Best summer experience you can get
Miami, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

People I work with are great

We have significant positive impact on client

Short deadlines

BCG is full of great people

Providing impact even during short 10 week internship
Atlanta, GA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

the case team, the people, engagement with partners

I didn't get to travel

the case interview is very similar to the actual job

The most fun and fulfilling summer I have ever had while working hard at the same time
Detroit, MI | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The people are a ton of fun to work with

-There are lots of great events and activities to participate in every week outside of work

-The culture is very fun and upbeat

-Everyone is very willing to help you when you need it

-The money is good and the hours are not bad at all

-The opportunity to travel if desired makes the experience so much more exciting

-The opportunity to contibute to the team and the amount of ownership given to interns right from the start is outstanding

Sometimes the work that you are asked to do can come with veyr little instructions and can seem quite ambiguous at the beginning. However, this allows you to really take ownership of your module and make it what you want it to be.

You need to get some sort of a sense of how much you want to travel because it is possible that you will be on the road Monday through Thursday every week. This sounds like a lot of fun to some people, but not so much fun to others. There is probably about a 50-60% chance of being on a traveling project during the summer internship, but the staffinf coordinaters do try to take and preferences or requests that you might have into account as much as possible.

Advice to Management

I think the benefits are amazing but the salary/bonus is a bit low. I think it would be better to even scale back some of the money spent on team dinners, events, etc. and use it to offer a higher salary.

Impactful experience at the highest levels of business while being surrounded by very intelligent people.
Miami, FL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The particular office/system I was a part of had very friendly, personable, and intelligent people.

The consultants on my particular team were very helpful and incredibly good at their job, which allowed me to learn from them.

The problems we were solving were interesting and at the top of the senior management's agenda.

The clients we were working with and presenting to were at the highest levels of major companies.

The level of responsibility given to interns was substantial and allowed for a great learning curve.

The resources were provided to us (feedback, training, knowledge teams) to help us succeed in the internship.

Anything here would be nitpicky, the internship is the best you can get in my opinion if you are interested in consulting, or business in general.

Work hard during the interview process to get the job - It is well worth it in the end. However, make sure you are truly passionate about consulting and the work consultants do, otherwise you may balk when hours get long.

On your mark, get set....Go!
Dallas, TX | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, stimulating projects, full-time responsibilities, predictable time off (PTO), team and company events

Long hours and sometimes relentless pace

The opportunities for personal development are great. The number of hours can be high.

Advice to Management

Manage expectations of long hours up front.

Perfect balance between hands on experience and social programming.
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Well run program, interesting and value add case work, good team and intern events.

Variability in hours across interns affected attendance at some affiliation events.

Definitely go for it. It's a great experience.

Great people, real responsibility, unbelievable perks and invaluable learnings
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

You get staffed on an actual case, and are provided with the right amount of guidance and freedom to develop over the summer. The intern events, people, and perks were other aspects that were great.

Travelling means that you are not home often, so it is hard to settle in to a new city if you take up the internship in a different place.

Definitely apply for the Summer Associate program! while here, talk to as many people as you can, and make sure you try to take up some challenging projects so that you know how it would feel like to work here full time.

Advice to Management

Perhaps trying to match up interns better to their project preferences.