Intern at The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program? Submit a Review

Challenging and rewarding

Philadelphia, PA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The caliber of people, the responsibilities

The hours and at times, it was stressful

If you are interested in consulting, The big difference between the firms is really culture and their staffing model. BCG has an excellent culture and hires really fun and smart people.

Why are you interested in consulting and BCG?

Building strategic partnerships and uncovering pricing and product gaps

Learning. Exposure.

Long hours. But work was extremely fulfilling and worthwhile.

Think about why you want to do consulting. It should be because you love the challenge of working hard everyday, leaning something new each day, and helping companies of all kinds solve the most challenging problems.

Tell me about a time when you faced a conflict in the workplace.

Case interview questions.

It wasn't easy but it was one of the most rewarding career experiences of my life

Other (US) | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people. BCG NJ has done a phenomenal job of recruiting talented people who live the values of the office. This applies at every level from the partners through the summer class.

The hours. The hours are not always the best. On average it balances out but some days can be quite long.

Make sure you find a field that you are honestly interested in and people you truly enjoying spending time with. It may sound cliche but having the ability to do a job is only part of the challenge. If you don't enjoy the work and the team, it's much more difficult to succeed over time.

Advice to Management

Formalize intern exposure to senior management. Adding in structured roundtable sessions with industry/practice area leaders would be a great way to expose summer interns to areas outside of the assignments.

Best opportunity for college graduates

1. support network 2. education 3. incredible benefits 4. great friends

Hours were rough sometimes

There is no better company to work for! From the moment I started training, to signing my acceptance letter, I was supported by mentors, friends and overall staff. You have so much fun and learn a ton. Also, the long-term benefits ("time for you," working abroad or part time, etc) are incredible.

Advice to Management

More excel training before interns start
Better adherence to PTOs

What was a time YOU demonstrated leadership?

Why do you want to work for this particular office location?

The awkward: "Tell me about yourself."

Smart and Nice People; Stressful during Week; Little Weekend Work

Boston, MA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Coworkers were top notch.
Firm takes care of you in terms of accommodation; food; travel.
Get great exposure to different industries

Little "alone working" time, very intense team working environment;
Not sure all analysis done is useful.

Very few consultants go on to become partners. First determine where you see yourself in the future and then decide whether consulting can help you get there.

Advice to Management

Compensation is great.
Hours overall are balanced but not too flexible in terms of when you work.
Diversity is probably good across the firm but within specific niches heavily weighted, e.g. Tech vsRetail.

Bright, intellectually curious, and caring people plus fun and meaningful summer = BCG.

New York, NY | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the value placed on learning, and the firm culture. There was also an intern breakfast every Friday where each week a few interns would share what type of work they were doing on projects so that all of the interns had a better sense of the variety of work done at BCG. There is also a premium placed on bonding, as displayed by an intern-only weekend trip, as well as a weekend event for the entire New York office from interns to partners to family members.

Nothing I can think of.

A differentiator of BCG versus the other consulting firms is the PTO (Predictability, Teaming, Open-Communication) program, which as the name suggests helps facilitate predictability in the work place, team efficiency and effectiveness, and communication from associates to partners. I also found that BCG has a very diverse set of employees, which makes it a great learning environment and gives teams a broader perspective on client issues.

continually challenged and learning, while tackling exciting problems

Dallas, TX | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

It was a highly structured internship that allowed me to tackle new challenges and gain to high-level leadership with clients, in supportive and collaborative environment.

Much of my summer work did not allow me to leverage previous work experience and expertise. Additionally, work life balance was challenging at times.

Get to know the individuals you could possibly be working with and would be managing you to get a sense of the culture fit for the firm and specially the office you are looking to work out of

I got a wonderful opportunity to own a module, learn a ton of skills, interact with clients and network with senior leaders at my office!

Washington, DC | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

Great support from recruiting team and case team.
Access to senior principals and partners at the firm.
Ownership of work module, which directly impacts and creates value for the client.

I loved the internship - but it'd have been good to be able to spend more time at the home office and connect with other consultants there.

The people at BCG (your teammates on the case, fellow interns etc.) are some of the smartest people around and it's a real joy working with them!

A realistic hands-on view of a full time position with a fantastic company

Atlanta, GA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

My work was treated as if I were a full-time consultant.

It is difficult as an intern to strike a balance of asking enough questions so that you don't spin your wheels while also being as self-sufficient as possible. It takes time at a company to learn the ins and outs of its available resources and training.

Meet as many people as you can - these are your potential future colleagues.

Tackling a new industry: One intern's summer learning abotu a new industry on a team

Philadelphia, PA | 2015 | VERIFIED INTERN

The work itself, attention from senior partners, availability of all firm employees, investment in my personal development, treated like a real employee, not an intern

Inability to set your own schedule while on the case- need to attend all team events

This firm is very invested in the well-being and overall functioning of their employees. The Predictability, Teaming and Open Communication case facilitation process shows how much the firm values your personal health, work-life balance, and role within the team.

Get Our Career Newsletter

Interview, resume and job search tips emailed directly to you.