The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

VAULT RANKINGS >> #5 Best Consulting Internships  /  #19 Best Overall Internships

The juice was worth the squeeze: BCG is as good as advertised.
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Varied work experience, good exposure to an actual case and responsbilities, ample opportunities to determine fit with the office

Some content of the in-office portion of training during orientation could have been more effectively delivered in pre-read slides.

Take a large sample and determine if you are a true fit with the people of the organization, not just the brand prestige.

Great introduction into consulting.
Los Angeles, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Working with other smart, talented, and nice people.

The hours can be long sometimes.

Ask for feedback from your supervisor.

Amazing people; impactful work; excellent opportunities and growth

1. Quality of the people in the firm and the support they give interns

2. Development opportunities

3. Perks / benefits

It being client services

Try to get a sense for the firm and office culture

Strategy meets fun: 10 weeks of high-flying problem solving with a sea of new friends
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Ownership of my work, high-quality feedback on a weekly basis, ample opportunities to get to know fellow interns and staff at all levels, wonderful recruiting team.

Struggling to think of anything -- maybe could add a tad more optional training on how to set up a three-tab analytical model for newbies like me. Not a big deal though, as plenty of online internal training resources are available.

1. Don't be afraid to ask BCGers how much they travel, what they do and don't like about their work, etc. These were important differentiators for me, and I found BCG staff very candid, which I can confirm based on my observations this summer. 2. Meet as many people as you can--connections you make in recruiting can be important as an intern.

A snapshot of the education you'll receive as a management consultant, with the social support network to help you transition
Chicago, IL | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The reality of my case experience, the sense of ownership I felt over my work, and the social connections the company helped facilitate

Most interns, including myself, were only exposed to one case experience--would be nice if timing worked out to get multiple, shorter experiences

This is definitely the best job you can have as a 22-year-old, and starting as an intern softens the transition to an extremely challenging profession

The perfect transition from education to professional growth
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The people, the content, the skills, the responsibility, the training, the support, the perks, the work/life balance, the respect, the other interns, the travel, the location, the feedback

Nothing specific comes to mind!

Ask lots of questions, speak up, listen well, stay calm and in control, be humble, ask for help, this is the best place to grow and accelerate your career

Advice to Management

No specific advice comes to mind

Excellent introduction to consulting and life at BCG
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

all employees caring a lot about the interns

intern events

Nothing in particular comes to mind

Getting to know the people is the best way to get a good feel for the company and what it is about.

Learn, laugh, and grow with BCG's one of a kind internship
San Francisco, CA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

The awesome people, the challenging and stimulating work, and the friendly and down to earth company culture. I also got to travel to client sites which was a unique experience.

Honestly, nothing comes to mind.

If you aren't afraid to be thrown into a challenging environment, one in which you're forced to quickly learn and work hard, then this internship is for you.

Advice to Management

Honestly, nothing really comes to mind again.

Travel a steep learning curve with the help of great and intelligent people
Boston, MA | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

Meeting great people; being trusted with work for a client; learning a ton

There are times that the case is not the most interesting

BCG is the best and guaranteed wonderful summer experience

Advice to Management

Nothing

The most fun and fulfilling summer I have ever had while working hard at the same time
Detroit, MI | 2013 | VERIFIED INTERN

-The people are a ton of fun to work with

-There are lots of great events and activities to participate in every week outside of work

-The culture is very fun and upbeat

-Everyone is very willing to help you when you need it

-The money is good and the hours are not bad at all

-The opportunity to travel if desired makes the experience so much more exciting

-The opportunity to contibute to the team and the amount of ownership given to interns right from the start is outstanding

Sometimes the work that you are asked to do can come with veyr little instructions and can seem quite ambiguous at the beginning. However, this allows you to really take ownership of your module and make it what you want it to be.

You need to get some sort of a sense of how much you want to travel because it is possible that you will be on the road Monday through Thursday every week. This sounds like a lot of fun to some people, but not so much fun to others. There is probably about a 50-60% chance of being on a traveling project during the summer internship, but the staffinf coordinaters do try to take and preferences or requests that you might have into account as much as possible.

Advice to Management

I think the benefits are amazing but the salary/bonus is a bit low. I think it would be better to even scale back some of the money spent on team dinners, events, etc. and use it to offer a higher salary.