The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Date: 2013

BCG Summer Internships: Honesty over Selling.

The realistic nature of the work. Seeing my work presented to clients and being able to relly own my modules. The expectation for an intern is high, and they treat you like a full-time employee, making for a steep improvement in your performence in the first few weeks.

The summer experience depends heavily on the project manager and case that the intern is staffed on. Therefore, the intern must try to extrapolate an average of all the cases over the summer instead of referring to his/her own.

Find someone to trust in the company--someone who will be honest with you and walk besides you with your concerns and doubts. It makes for a much more comfortable experience.

Advice to Management

Training could be a bit more rigorous to lessen the learning curve.

Date: 2013

On your mark, get set....Go!

The people, stimulating projects, full-time responsibilities, predictable time off (PTO), team and company events

Long hours and sometimes relentless pace

The opportunities for personal development are great. The number of hours can be high.

Advice to Management

Manage expectations of long hours up front.

Brilliant colleagues, balanced lifestyle

Helpful and collaborative colleagues, wealth of support and enrichment opportunities

Irregularity of working hours

Think different

A

After work events, intern retreat

Not sure how late we will end each night

Meet as many people w/in the firm as possible!

awesome

engagement with managers at clients and a great team to work with at the firm

a few of the days had very long hours and difficult deadlines

consider how willing you are to travel and deal with uncertainty

Date: 2013

A chance to shape the future and make an impact on the world while supporting my personal growth through apprenticeship and collaboration.

The best aspects: • Challenging work environment with significant learning opportunities • Plenty of opportunities for fun and relaxation through intern events and office-wide events • Support from every person each and every BCGer along the way

The worst aspects: • Demanding and difficult client • Getting comfortable with the consulting working environment • Being new in a job and learning to ramp up fast

Remember that you are new to the job and you may find it unsettling to work in a new environment on the top of the challenging case work. Your case team will not ask you to solve the entire client problem on the first day; you will be given small tasks to complete and you will ramp up slowly, so do not get frustrated by the mundane tasks that you have to complete the first few weeks of your internship. Your summer case assignment may not be your dream case, but do not let that sour your summer experience; you are new to consulting so you do not have the leverage to be picky before you have established a strong reputation for yourself. Lastly, because consulting is a case-based work environment, there is no typical day nor is there a typical case. Talk with other interns and consultants to get a greater understanding of all the opportunities at the firm.

Advice to Management

Provide more formally organized avenues for summer consultants to interact with Partners and ask question. Whether this is a lunch, a dinner, or a happy hour, give consultants more one-on-one opportunities with Partners or even senior principals. Also, establish more organized training program for interns. While interns are only there for a ten weeks, put more effort into utilizing the best consultants to train the summer consultants.

Greatest possible summer experience

Events with other interns, opportunities for development through formal and informal feedback, opportunities to engage with partners, principals, and more in relaxed environments

Can't decide, it's all good

Unparalleled opportunities for growth, incredible flexibility, extreme dedication to the summer intern experience (people will ensure that you learn a lot and are challenged, but also have tons of fun). The work-life balance is as good as it can get in an industry this intense and the culture is second-to-none.

Advice to Management

Better snacks, but that's not even an issue obviously

Date: 2013

Intellectually challenging and fulfilling work with every supportive resource to help you reach your full potential

Intellectually challenging work with real world consequences, incredible mentorship and development opportunities, great and supportive work environment with smart, caring colleagues, opportunities to interact with senior firm leadership on a daily basis, limitless learning potential

It's definitely hard work and that is sometimes exhausting.

This is a summer experience for people who want to learn, challenge themselves and are open to bettering themselves. There is also a strong element of community.

Date: 2013

The best training ground - rapid personal and professional development in a supportive, collaborative and fun environment

I really like the people I work with. Everyone is very friendly and supportive even if I have never spoken with him/her before. I know that I can walk into anyone's office and ask them a quick question and they would never say no. I also like how exciting the job is. They know what I'm capable of doing and slowly pushes me by giving me challenges that I can handle. A lot of this job is on-the-job mentorship and training, which BCG does really well. We are also encouraged to meet senior people in the company. The summer class is very close-knit - we hang out during summer activities hosted by BCG but also host our own activities together outside of work. Feedback is highly valued in this company and is one of the main ingredients for the huge learning curve on the job.

A huge group of summer interns started on the same date making it hard for everyone to get staffed on a case on day 1. I would like to have more oversight on what I would be working on. I also think we have really good exposure / opportunities to meet senior people, but would also like to get to know more associates and consultants.

1. BCG truly likes to help each other. It is a very supportive culture and everyone helps each other even if he/she is very busy. Rarely anyone says no when asked for help. 2. BCG consultants and office assistants appreciate each other. Consultants are encouraged to get to know office assistants as well in addition to meeting other consultants at the company. 3. BCG strongly emphasizes feedback. You need to be able to take feedback and act upon feedback in order to succeed. There will always be room for improvements. 4. You will always be on your feet. BCG never lets you feel too comfortable - they will always give you something that will push you a little further.

Advice to Management

Possibly include some training throughout the summer. The days of training in the beginning was helpful, except it was hard to understand how it applies to the job until you start working on a case.

Date: 2013

Wonderful opportunities #1 consulting firm in terms of culture and work-life balance

Social events and networking

Unpredictability of travel

If you get through the grueling process, enjoy the ride