The Boston Consulting Group Summer Internship Program

Date: 2013

BCG Summer Internships: Honesty over Selling.

The realistic nature of the work. Seeing my work presented to clients and being able to relly own my modules. The expectation for an intern is high, and they treat you like a full-time employee, making for a steep improvement in your performence in the first few weeks.

The summer experience depends heavily on the project manager and case that the intern is staffed on. Therefore, the intern must try to extrapolate an average of all the cases over the summer instead of referring to his/her own.

Find someone to trust in the company--someone who will be honest with you and walk besides you with your concerns and doubts. It makes for a much more comfortable experience.

Advice to Management

Training could be a bit more rigorous to lessen the learning curve.

Date: 2013

BCG delivers on recruiting promises

high-impact work, exposure to very senior partners/clients, impressive coworkers

nothing comes to mind

BCG has a more appealing culture than its competitor.

Date: 2013

On your mark, get set....Go!

The people, stimulating projects, full-time responsibilities, predictable time off (PTO), team and company events

Long hours and sometimes relentless pace

The opportunities for personal development are great. The number of hours can be high.

Advice to Management

Manage expectations of long hours up front.

Date: 2013

A chance to shape the future and make an impact on the world while supporting my personal growth through apprenticeship and collaboration.

The best aspects: • Challenging work environment with significant learning opportunities • Plenty of opportunities for fun and relaxation through intern events and office-wide events • Support from every person each and every BCGer along the way

The worst aspects: • Demanding and difficult client • Getting comfortable with the consulting working environment • Being new in a job and learning to ramp up fast

Remember that you are new to the job and you may find it unsettling to work in a new environment on the top of the challenging case work. Your case team will not ask you to solve the entire client problem on the first day; you will be given small tasks to complete and you will ramp up slowly, so do not get frustrated by the mundane tasks that you have to complete the first few weeks of your internship. Your summer case assignment may not be your dream case, but do not let that sour your summer experience; you are new to consulting so you do not have the leverage to be picky before you have established a strong reputation for yourself. Lastly, because consulting is a case-based work environment, there is no typical day nor is there a typical case. Talk with other interns and consultants to get a greater understanding of all the opportunities at the firm.

Advice to Management

Provide more formally organized avenues for summer consultants to interact with Partners and ask question. Whether this is a lunch, a dinner, or a happy hour, give consultants more one-on-one opportunities with Partners or even senior principals. Also, establish more organized training program for interns. While interns are only there for a ten weeks, put more effort into utilizing the best consultants to train the summer consultants.

Date: 2013

Challenging and rewarding, with incredible responsibilities and opportunities from day one.

Getting to really dig into what consulting is like on a day-to-day basis

The specific project that I was working on

BCG is an incredibly well-run organization: everything from training to feedback to work environment is extremely polished. I have yet to work in an environment as impressive as this one.

A

After work events, intern retreat

Not sure how late we will end each night

Meet as many people w/in the firm as possible!

Date: 2013

Wonderful experience with amazing people who care a great deal about people development

- Chance to work with really smart people - Interest BCG takes in your development (formal training, formal / informal mentoring and feedback, opportunities to do REAL work, etc.) - Awesome sponsored events - Great office culture

- Work can be cyclical--go from 0 to 60 really fast, and then back down, but that's not necessarily a negative as it just means thigns are changing all the time

Everyone is super nice, welcoming, and helpful. You learn a TON. The office culture is fantastic--at least half of all cases are local, everyone is very accommadating and cognizant of different work schedules/other committments, face time is not required--just have to get your work done.

Living life as a management consultant for 10 weeks

Lots of responsibility very quickly, brought into team immediately as full team member, interesting work

Long hours, some busy work

Speak up early--you have a role on your team, and people want to hear your ideas/opinions!

Advice to Management

Nothing--they were great

Date: 2013

The best training ground - rapid personal and professional development in a supportive, collaborative and fun environment

I really like the people I work with. Everyone is very friendly and supportive even if I have never spoken with him/her before. I know that I can walk into anyone's office and ask them a quick question and they would never say no. I also like how exciting the job is. They know what I'm capable of doing and slowly pushes me by giving me challenges that I can handle. A lot of this job is on-the-job mentorship and training, which BCG does really well. We are also encouraged to meet senior people in the company. The summer class is very close-knit - we hang out during summer activities hosted by BCG but also host our own activities together outside of work. Feedback is highly valued in this company and is one of the main ingredients for the huge learning curve on the job.

A huge group of summer interns started on the same date making it hard for everyone to get staffed on a case on day 1. I would like to have more oversight on what I would be working on. I also think we have really good exposure / opportunities to meet senior people, but would also like to get to know more associates and consultants.

1. BCG truly likes to help each other. It is a very supportive culture and everyone helps each other even if he/she is very busy. Rarely anyone says no when asked for help. 2. BCG consultants and office assistants appreciate each other. Consultants are encouraged to get to know office assistants as well in addition to meeting other consultants at the company. 3. BCG strongly emphasizes feedback. You need to be able to take feedback and act upon feedback in order to succeed. There will always be room for improvements. 4. You will always be on your feet. BCG never lets you feel too comfortable - they will always give you something that will push you a little further.

Advice to Management

Possibly include some training throughout the summer. The days of training in the beginning was helpful, except it was hard to understand how it applies to the job until you start working on a case.

Date: 2013

Wonderful opportunities #1 consulting firm in terms of culture and work-life balance

Social events and networking

Unpredictability of travel

If you get through the grueling process, enjoy the ride